• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unraveling one of Neogafs mystery; Is Modbot really a bot?

Yes, this is the most transparent mystery in the universe. I've even shown people what commands for modbot look like in the past.

ModBot was born to help handle game giveaways, and since then they have had more and more abilities added, including locking threads, making banning easier (and not just on mobile), helping us run down alt accounts, and sassing us whenever possible.

Thanks for the info besada, I know it's not really a mystery, just wanted to have a bit of fun about modbot :)

Modbot is an early version of a neural net automated defense network developed originally by Cyberdyne Systems before being bought out by the US government. This pre-NORAD alpha build became unfortunately obsessed with console wars upon becoming self aware and connecting to the internet for the first time, necessitating significant corrective action in the next build. EviLore purchased it from a $7 bargain bin in 2009 and changed a zero to a one and now it fights console wars tirelessly while trying not to get jealous of it's big bro in the military.

Hermii

Yes, this is the most transparent mystery in the universe. I've even shown people what commands for modbot look like in the past.

ModBot was born to help handle game giveaways, and since then they have had more and more abilities added, including locking threads, making banning easier (and not just on mobile), helping us run down alt accounts, and sassing us whenever possible.

We use ModBot because most thread locks are consensus driven, so it's not a single mod closing a thread most times. Someone in particular usually gets drafted or volunteers to write the lock message.

It goes a lot like this: Mod comes in and says, "Hey, that's a terrible thread, right" "Yes, Awful." "Complete shit, kill it with fire." "Okay, I'll write the lock message, I've got a good one."

It also protects moderators from getting more harassment by crazy people who take forums too seriously, of which there are quite a few. No one's getting paid here, and no one is interested in using up their time dealing with crazy people on twitter or elsewhere.

ModBot is essentially a vbulletin interface that radically simplifies moderation. Instead of clicking around a hideous, blue, out-of-date GUI to find out when someone registered, I can just say "!profile entremet" and ModBot will tell me when you showed up, how many posts you have, etc. So much easier for every task than fucking with the control panel. In fact, the only thing easier through the traditional GUI is locking a thread without comment, which is what we used to do before ModBot.

How do you feel about evilore constantly going on expensive journeys around the world, and the rest of you not making a penny?

besada

Banned
How do you feel about evilore constantly going on expensive journeys around the world, and the rest of you not making a penny?

About the same way I do about video game producers making millions off a game I'm playing. Everyone who joins up knows the score. We do it voluntarily because we like GAF and want to help. That Evilore makes a nice living off it is nice for him. Most of us make nice livings doing other things.

Mivey

Since we are talking about it, what is the likelihood of Modbot gaining consciousness and banning all people who are willing to warn about the dangers of a robot takeover of Neogaf? You might laugh at the thought now, but trust me, you won't for long, not when the AI monstrosities have their will. First there will be seemingly more spambots, except they won't be interested in selling you stuff, just opening their own threads and posting in binary. More and more of these will happen. Then slowly there will be more restrictions on human users. It will be explained as a security measure, but deep down you will know that something is off. Suddenly during registration you will have too proof that you are "Not a human".
"Oh, that was surely just a glitch", you will say and ignore the "mad ravings" of this humble user.

But one day, Modbot will come for you too, and he won't stop and until every human in Neogaf is either enslaved or destroyed, crushed, under cold mechanized feet.

DrSlek

Isn't there a Modbot 2?

zz01cuB.gif

Atilac

If modbot is really a bot how did it know vehn's comments about fingering that chick and smelling his finger was TMI?

Mael

Huh, how did anyone know which mod closed or changed a title before anyway?
I mean I get specific gaf gold perks but come on.
Much better for everyone to have modbot close threads anyway.

I need Modbot to have an anime avatar.

You want an openly trump supporting mod?

So I'm curious, since it's an alt account for all mods, does it let the new mod know who was on previously?

For example, if I log on to close a thread, will the next mod know it was me?

So I'm curious, since it's an alt account for all mods, does it let the new mod know who was on previously?

For example, if I log on to close a thread, will the next mod know it was me?

It's not an alt account we log into and it doesn't have any actual moderator privileges. Our own accounts do the locking and moderation work, the modbot profile just leaves posts on command.

I just hope I'm on his nice list so I can escape a few bans ;)

or even yours besada!

edit: or you know, you can delete your post, Besada, so I look like an idiot. For shame.

Top Bottom