• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

Spazznid

Is there a good resource for Textures and materials? I don't feel like making my own at this stage. or at least not starting from scratch.

Is there a good resource for Textures and materials? I don't feel like making my own at this stage. or at least not starting from scratch.

Cgtextures and Ndo2 are all you need to create some pretty believable materials.
I believe Ndo2 is free from Quixel now as well (apologies if I'm wrong).

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks guys. Also I noticed the image quality is terrible, so from the next update I'll be using a different web to upload. Which site do you guys recommend? imgur seems to compress images to hell and back.
picpar should work; I always use abload.de for high-res direct-linked screenshots, though you'll probably want popups blocked when you go there.

desu

UE4 Temporal AA paper released. (Version with better image quality and speaker notes will be released tomorrow.)
https://www.unrealengine.com/resources

Impressive.

Whenever I see the Infiltrator demo I am getting all:

give_it_to_me_stephen8ou20.gif

Kinthalis

Banned
1. Any tutorials that take you from scratch, step by step into creating a simple game? So far all the tutorials I've found are very narrowly focused on some particular aspect of the game engine rather tha taking you through a simple fully working game. Maybe a pong clone or a 2D platformer.

2. Anyone else a programmer and finding the whole blueprints thing compltely awkward and convoluted? Actions that would take like 2 lines of code require this web of linked boxes that seem totally unintuitive to me.

desu

1. Any tutorials that take you from scratch, step by step into creating a simple game? So far all the tutorials I've found are very narrowly focused on some particular aspect of the game engine rather tha taking you through a simple fully working game. Maybe a pong clone or a 2D platformer.

2. Anyone else a programmer and finding the whole blueprints thing compltely awkward and convoluted? Actions that would take like 2 lines of code require this web of linked boxes that seem totally unintuitive to me.

1. I think a lot of people have released series on how to create certain types of games, or just released their complete games (so that you can reverse engineer them). I would check https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdisplay.php?12-Community-Content-Tools-and-Tutorials for some of these tutorials.

2. That's totally fine, I only know C# so C++ seems kind of annoying to me as I don't know enough of its syntax to be able to do what I want to do. However coding in general seems easier than using BP. However I wouldn't really call BP unintuitive, for me it mostly just makes sense.

Spazznid

Thanks guys. Also I noticed the image quality is terrible, so from the next update I'll be using a different web to upload. Which site do you guys recommend? imgur seems to compress images to hell and back.

Edit: For Spazznid > www.cgtextures.com

You can create a free account, and the site even has tileable textures. You will have to make your own normals and roughness/gloss/specular or whatever you want to use.

Edit 2: Thanks for the link, Stallion Free!

Cgtextures and Ndo2 are all you need to create some pretty believable materials.
I believe Ndo2 is free from Quixel now as well (apologies if I'm wrong).

Thanks, guys. I'm assuming the "older versions" is the free version. I suppose when it comes to props, I'm on my own for now, huh? I don't really have much experience in 3d modeling.

Thanks, guys. I'm assuming the "older versions" is the free version. I suppose when it comes to props, I'm on my own for now, huh? I don't really have much experience in 3d modeling.

The free Ndo2 is pretty much the same as the new version that comes with the Quixel Suite I think - I'm still using it anyway and it works great, particularly for normal maps.

To get started making stuff look half decent, all you need texture wise is diffuse, normal and specular really... It's pretty easy to get to grips with if you watch a few tutorials and whatnot.
This won't fly when / if you start getting serious and I might get some questionable frowns for saying this but, an easy, decent beginner workflow for textures is:
Create the diffuse map using photo textures, and then generate your normal and spec maps using the diffuse you've already made by using Ndo.

It'll get you started at least, and when you're a little more confident you can step up your game and implement some proper texture workflows.

-SD-

Banned
UE4 Temporal AA paper released. (Version with better image quality and speaker notes will be released tomorrow.)
https://www.unrealengine.com/resources
Overly compressed YouTube video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQ47MY-Eo0

EDIT: These archviz clips I posted about earlier in this thread have now gone viral, by the way. On Reddit, etc. Too bad most of the people don't realize it's all baked lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/koooolalala/videos?sort=dd&view=0&flow=list&live_view=500

Mik2121

After I finish the PT corridor, I would love to be able to make it DK2-compatible.

Hell, I want the DK2 :( I tried the first kit some months ago and it was amazing even with the terrible screen resolution.

elyetis

Blueprint question maybe someone here could help me with.

Is it possible to get an actor variable ( and value ) using Get All Actors of class ?

I know how to get an actor variable from a persistent level object/actor. But for actors I'm actually spawning during the game, how can I actually get their variables value ?

Gooner44

Neo Member
Blueprint question maybe someone here could help me with.

Is it possible to get an actor variable ( and value ) using Get All Actors of class ?

I know how to get an actor variable from a persistent level object/actor. But for actors I'm actually spawning during the game, how can I actually get their variables value ?

If I understand what you're asking, you probably want to run a foreach loop and cast to the objects to get that value. If you want to get it from a specific one, you'd have to specify the one you want by name, but that might be difficult if it's spawned at runtime rather than placed in the level.

If you add the objects to an array when they spawn and then get that object from that array at the index of that object, you can do what you want, but it depends how you're spawning things. UE4 forums and AnswerHub are great resources for these types of questions.

Mik2121

Barely improved, but hey. I started working on the wall shader today. Right now still looks wrong (the detail normal doesn't fit at all), but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to improve it and hopefully by the end of the weekend all the walls, floor and trims will be done. Next week I'll be working on the props. I also need to start working on the window as well. Probably after doing a few more assets and whatnot, I will have to work again on the proportions of the corridor.

WBbb.png

elyetis

If I understand what you're asking, you probably want to run a foreach loop and cast to the objects to get that value. If you want to get it from a specific one, you'd have to specify the one you want by name, but that might be difficult if it's spawned at runtime rather than placed in the level.

If you add the objects to an array when they spawn and then get that object from that array at the index of that object, you can do what you want, but it depends how you're spawning things. UE4 forums and AnswerHub are great resources for these types of questions.
I might add more detail later, when I have access to UE4, but yeah I was hoping that doing ( from the level blueprint ) Get All Actors of class => foreach loop would allow me to get the content of their variable the same way I can get it from an an actor in the persistent world.

It will have many use in the project be for example, my game being more or less grid based, with player able to spawn different kind of units. I hoped that clicking on on actor, would give me access to everything about him ( value of his variables included ) in the level blueprint.

I probably could do some kind of work around in this specific case since my game being grid based, I could store in an Two-Dimensional Arrays of structur every variable ( life, attack value, etc ) I need when I create the actor, and only use the actor as a moving mesh. Which isn't really different from how it worked when I made the same game in 2D, in C with the SDL library few years ago.

I have also a pretty 'similar' problem with Event Dispatchers. I would like spawned units to return me ( to the level blueprint ) a value when clicked on. But there again I can't get the custom event in the level blueprint since the actor with the event dispatcher is spawned during the game, not placed on the level.

I'll have a look at the "cast to the objects to get that value", it's not the only time I see that while looking for an answer about blueprint communication etc.. but don't quite get what it is/how it work.

I'll also try to put it in the UE4 forums and/or AnswerHub, thought I wasn't really lucky the last time I tried.

desu

4.4 hotfix preview will come out in the next days, also has some DK2 updates. Was said on the stream today.

DryvBy

Barely improved, but hey. I started working on the wall shader today. Right now still looks wrong (the detail normal doesn't fit at all), but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to improve it and hopefully by the end of the weekend all the walls, floor and trims will be done. Next week I'll be working on the props. I also need to start working on the window as well. Probably after doing a few more assets and whatnot, I will have to work again on the proportions of the corridor.

WBbb.png

This looks like P.T.. Am I right?

Edit: Went back and saw you were. This is awesome.

elyetis

Got back from work.

Gave a try to "Cast to" 30 secondes of trial and error to understand how it work and... tada ! it did exactly what I was looking for.

Big big thanks.

WBbb.png

Looking good.

desu

4.4.1 Fixes

• Unreal Frontend: Fixed a crash that could occur when cooking for Mac platform “on-the-fly”
• Oculus Rift support has been updated to use the Oculus 0.4.1 Beta SDK
• Fixed a crash that could occur when opening some animation assets from the Marketplace
• Fixed an error that was causing Mouse Handling to break on Mac.
• Blueprint: Added a redirect to base engine ini which allows existing content to point to the correct location in an enum.
• Fixed Info.plist search order in UAT

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?30474-4-4-1-Hotfix-Preview!

JordanN

Banned
I tweaked my lightmass files to match Koola's.

Tried out a test scene on full production, and render time was 1 hour (though I made all my lightmaps 256 in size).

With post processing
iO8SNqnzWfMfN.jpg

Less post processing effects.
iSf9Lfqqb9JH7.jpg

ibjYeB8pGG4Qha.jpg

iKTwB7xEsjcH8.jpg

AmyS

The thing that gets me is, Unreal Engine 4 was in its earliest stages of development before the Xbox 360 launched. I can't find it anymore but there was an interview with Mark Rein or Tim Sweeney about UE4. In 2005, Mark Rein said UE4 had been in development for 2 years. And I think in another interview Mark or Tim Sweeney said something like, UE4 would take advantage of a dozen or so CPU cores / threads, that the next-next gen consoles should have, meaning the PS4/Xbox One gen.

desu

Tomorrows livestream will be about:
Wes, Alexis, and Jeremie from Allegorithmic accompany us to discuss the Substance plugin for Unreal Engine 4. Come have a look at what’s on the horizon, including a never before seen sample scene demonstrating the power of using substance with the engine. And you heard right, more awesome content examples coming to Marketplace!

PGamer

fucking juniors
Question: How does the sub cancellation work with updates exactly? Do I lose access to updates immediately after I press cancel or do I still get any updates released until a month passes since I last paid? I want to cancel my sub before I forget about it but I don't want to lose out on any updates for the duration I paid for.

MrBig

Question: How does the sub cancellation work with updates exactly? Do I lose access to updates immediately after I press cancel or do I still get any updates released until a month passes since I last paid? I want to cancel my sub before I forget about it but I don't want to lose out on any updates for the duration I paid for.

You pay on a month to month basis, you won't lose access to what you payed for if you stop the subscription.

JordanN

Banned
I think it's time for me to build something cool now.

I'm going to recreate a small part of my city in the engine.

Here's a blocking out of what I'm aiming for (ignore the silly proportions, it's not final)

ib1NjL9atMTAc1.png

Also not pictured: trees and cars. I'll be sure to add them.

JordanN

Banned
I posted this gif in the next gen thread. Still amazed at how perfect the lighting is. I definitely want to target this quality.

ibxlsX5ksm91EB.gif

Mik2121

Damn, I was so busy last week that my PT corridor barely improved since then.

I got back to work today, doing a few more things for the wall (still not finished) and also placing the paintings on the walls.

uucb.png

The lightmaps on the paintings are automatic UV unwraps, that's why the shadows look so ugly.

vucb.png

Ignore the actual painting, I just put it there to get a closer idea. I started working on the actual frame now, then when all the frames are finished I will start working on the actual paintings.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for posting the work-in-progress stuff Mik. People might also like seeing them on the official forum, if you haven't made a thread.

Mik2121

Whenever I get something more presentable... right now all the materials except the wood are still work in progress. I will finish the walls, the paintings and the wall trimmings and then I might start posting this somewhere else :p

Mik2121

The Marketplace is now open for business!

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/marketplace-now-open-for-business

marketplaceScreen-1004x728-7813595.png

The Unreal Engine Marketplace is officially open for business! If you’re a UE4 developer, you can buy and sell community-created premium content for use in your project starting now.

In addition to all of the previously released free content, the new Marketplace is launching with a variety of asset packs including environments, props, characters, sounds, materials, animated meshes, and a number of other asset types. And, thanks to your continued submissions, we have a steady stream of new content coming in.

I wonder what their quality bar will be. Hopefully not too low so it doesn't get filled with terrible assets from day zero :p

Chris_C

Got paid yesterday and got myself a license. Been working through some of the Twitch broadcasts yesterday. I'm not an programmer, so what I've seen of Blueprint has been hugely attractive. I'll be starting with the basic tutorials later today as I've never used Unreal Engine.

Mik2121

Got paid yesterday and got myself a license. Been working through some of the Twitch broadcasts yesterday. I'm not an programmer, so what I've seen of Blueprint has been hugely attractive. I'll be starting with the basic tutorials later today as I've never used Unreal Engine.

Feel free to ask anything you want!

Chris_C

Feel free to ask anything you want!

Thanks for the offer, really kind. I'm hoping the community here on GAF remains active. I've fiddled around with Unity a few times, and before that (long, long ago... about a decade ago) 3D Gamestudio. UE4 looks fantastic, so I'm looking forward to learning.

Mik2121

Thanks for the offer, really kind. I'm hoping the community here on GAF remains active. I've fiddled around with Unity a few times, and before that (long, long ago... about a decade ago) 3D Gamestudio. UE4 looks fantastic, so I'm looking forward to learning.

There are a few here who just stay around always, like Blizzard, Prophet Steve, desu and JordanN. The community here isn't too big, and you will definitely find more people on forums like the UE official forums, but posting here you get to interact with people you also see in other threads around, so I kinda like it here :) I also post around polycount a lot, so if you wanna ask anything art-related, remember to check out that forum as well (you might already do, if so, never mind!).

Top Bottom