• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

I keep forgetting that this thread is now THE Vita thread.

Sorry for triple post, no-one else is sharing anything here though :p

Interview with SAO producer about the upcoming game, but also about Vita as a platform:

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/intervie...-realization-producer-yosuke-futami-nycc-2016

Vita
GAF
is dead

To put things into perspective - Vita will be ending its 5th year by the end of this year. That means by those said periods, Vita will be on its 6th and 7th year.

After PSP ended it's 7th year, Vita was released. Then you have to also remember that Sony acknowledges that "console cycles" might not be as long.

Vita games being multiplatform with PS4 doesn't make it easier. If PS4 Pro-exclusive games are released, that makes the gap bigger. Some devs don't put big efforts in optimizing for the Vita in multiplatforms even when Vita is pretty much half their audience.

For example, we have Yoru no nai Kuni (got PS4 and Vita version on PS+), which honestly speaking was quite visually jarring when you have seen other Gust games on Vita. I seriously thought that I put pressure on one eye in sleep again and panicked (seriously, I'm a bit paranoid on my vision >___>). So much for people saying Gust + Koei-Tecmo = Gust with Magical Pixie dust.

The ball is basically on Sony regarding how healthy future Vita development (and/or its successor). If Sony doesn't have anything at all in the handheld console space in the next two years, you can say that they completely gave up.

The shocking thing is that Japan Studio ditched Vita in 2014, despite their last releases doing well and the platform having a audience there. They were the first one after SIEA.

Well, even their current strategy for Vita doesn't even make sense. "We like children but our price is still premium!"

As much as I hated Freedom Wars (which is only half a game), I'd be in for a FW2 if they fixed all the annoying things there. The overall gameplay concept is pretty nice, IMO.

What's the problem?

That's good for the people who own the jp vita version.

Having previously saying it would be too difficult to put the PS4 version's content in Vita, they're now putting PS4 version's content in Vita. Sure, it's missing the extra quests and balance tweaks for now, but it seems to me like yet another mis-communication regarding this whole ordeal.

But yeah, great for Japanese Vita owners I guess.

yaffi

I don't think any kind of effort is needed to put in a few new Digimons as free DLC. It's probably like any other free costumes DLC stuff out there.

Or maybe I just don't get the bitterness about this game, since I never really cared about Digimon at all.

Takao

Banned
Well, even their current strategy for Vita doesn't even make sense. "We like children but our price is still premium!"

As much as I hated Freedom Wars (which is only half a game), I'd be in for a FW2 if they fixed all the annoying things there. The overall gameplay concept is pretty nice, IMO.

Their current Vita strategy is to just ride out however long it has left. It's pretty clear that Morita's comments about kids are just words. For the last year and a half he's mentioned the same two games in literally every interview he's asked about Vita. While Sony has no successful children's IPs (anywhere, but especially in Japan), there's been no real improvement on the third party side, bar some misguided Square Enix releases. I've said this before, but if there was an effort to get kids games on the platform, how come it's getting nothing from Level-5? How come Bandai Namco ignores the platform for projects like Appmon and Dragon Ball Fusions - two IPs who have had successful histories on PlayStation? How come the children's card game IPs are entirely absent on it?* Even ensuring Minecraft: Story Mode, a game announced for Vita, actually comes out seems like too much of a bother for them.

If there's ever another Freedom Wars game, it'll probably be for mobile. Don't ask me how that will control and don't ask me how Sony is going to make it successful when other bigger hunting brands haven't blown the roof off on mobile. But they've been clear that they're not making another handheld, and that they're not making more games for Vita. The market has made it clear that hunting games on home consoles are a fool's errand.

*Yu-Gi-Oh! is the one I find particularly egregious. The brand has dual appeal thanks to its age, and Konami's shoestring budgeted Tagforce Special seemed to do really well as digital-only PSP game in 2015. While logic would say, "Konami don't care about video games anymore," the surprisingly late debut of Power Pros on 3DS indicates that if there's a market (which, amusingly, was probably proven by how well this year's Vita Power Pros did) that's not absurdly expensive to appeal to, they'll go after it.

Sony is internationally focussed now, there's no reason to even have a strategy for something that only (maybe) works in Japan. They're fine with sacrificing some JP mindshare to get that sweet western AAA money.

And I can't really fault them for it. Trying to make the Vita a weird system without a clear identity that appeals to everyone everywhere is exactly what doomed it (imo).

Takao

Banned
I'd argue they're running the risk of losing a lot more than just mind share in Japan, but it's obvious they just don't care.

joe2187

Banned
Hmm just bought Lumo and Teslagrad retail for vita on amazon...I wasnt even aware they were getting a physical release.

Anymore games like that I'm not aware of?

I also saw a japanese version of Airship Q for $18 as well.

So thanks to the last flash sale I am replaying Tearaway and it's every bit as good as I remember. So many unforgettable moments:

-the pig
-getting to Gibbet Hill and Pilgrimage starts playing
-Gibbet Hill's ending
-the baby Wendigo
-playing it with my sister and screaming into the mic at the same time, hearing the voice from the scarecrow right after and jumping out of our seats

https://twitter.com/Ryuz4ki57/status/789529498425384960

#SAOHR is still version 0.90 prior to release. Maybe it will be decent when it hits 1.00?

CvT45NtWcAAsVdi.jpg

Rofl, my god...

I've bought the prior two SAO games at launch because there was always a new one announced and I wanted to encourage the localization of that future game on Vita too (same thing I do with Neptunia).

But this just sounds like a mess. Even though Accel World vs. SAO is coming, I think I'll wait for a sale.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sweet. I ordered Airship q because it has an full english localization patch that was said on that list.

This is a great list for my OCD Vita collection issue I have.

Now remember, that tab is broken up into two parts.
Games on top are Asian region releases, and games on bottom are Japanese region only.

Luckily in this case, the patch for Airship Q applies to both regions.
I'll update the notes to reflect this actually.

RK128

Rofl, my god...

I've bought the prior two SAO games at launch because there was always a new one announced and I wanted to encourage the localization of that future game on Vita too (same thing I do with Neptunia).

But this just sounds like a mess. Even though Accel World vs. SAO is coming, I think I'll wait for a sale.

Bandai-Namco just keeps on digging......likely not getting this at launch anyway, but it sucks to see SAO: HR have issues on Vita :(.

L.O.R.D

I wasn't sure if I should revive the 2-year-old OT for this game, so I'll post this here.

Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds got a 99MB patch that seems to be paving the way for some more DLC.

qobcw3B.jpg

Interestingly, they changed the game's bubble icon with the patch, too. (I didn't know that was even possible!)

From blue:

0TavrJC.png

To pink:

Z2tyuc9.png

As for whether they're backporting gameplay modes from the Overdrive version or adding new characters (like Frau from Robotics;Notes that they teased forever ago), I have no idea.
yah,steam got the same patch several month ago.
i think it's for online play.

So thanks to the last flash sale I am replaying Tearaway and it's every bit as good as I remember. So many unforgettable moments:

-the pig
-Gibbet Hill's ending
-the baby Wendigo
-playing it with my sister and screaming into the mic at the same time, hearing the voice from the scarecrow right after and jumping out of our seats

:D

RK128

-the pig
-Gibbet Hill's ending
-the baby Wendigo

Tearaway is one of my favorite Vita games ever made, as it does so much right. I wrote a lot about it recently and plan on doing a full replay of the game for a college paper I will be writing next week.

Such a great game that offers so much to the gaming as a whole. Easily one of MM's best titles for me personally.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Rofl, my god...

This has nothing to do with the development state of the game. The twitter user here is just a dumbass.

Japanese players who preordered get to play a 1-week early access "βeater" version of the game which consists of the first 10-15 hours, which is why the game is marked version 0.90. It's a reference to the beta period of SAO that the main character played in the anime, not a literal unfinished game.

This has nothing to do with the development state of the game. The twitter user here is just a dumbass.

Japanese players who preordered get to play a 1-week early access "βeater" version of the game which consists of the first 10-15 hours, which is why the game is marked version 0.90. It's a reference to the beta period of SAO that the main character played in the anime, not a literal unfinished game.

That's kinda neat!

But doesn't do much to alleviate the abysmal performance and graphics-worse-than-hollow-fragment concerns I'm hearing.

It shouldn't say you "need" space for content they can consider optional like JPN VO but it does advertise that it includes it as a bonus DLC right there.

Hopefully that's content you have to add in manually and not something that patches install to prep for expected DLC. Most games don't do that, so it could just be covering it's legal bases for people who would invariably complain that the box didn't say the included DLC would take up space.

Then I guess it's "just" the japanese voices. I had the feeling just the half of the game is on the cartridge.

Regarding to the new Swort Art Online game. I saw some footage of the Vita version here -> https://www.youtube.com/user/CritDmgMovies/videos and the difference to the PS4 version is just massive. Framerate and graphics are pretty bad but the pop in is just the worst. I don't mind a typical downgraded vita version but this is way below of that.

L.O.R.D

Somebody knows why World of Final Fantasy needs 3GB memory card space, even for the retail version? Or do the american versions just show how big the games are on the back?

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/31958283/_57.jpg

I fear that that's the JP VO DLC. I hope it's not that big.

But English voices will be on cart, right?

no,the physical game does not have any voice,it was sets to off in the option menu
there will be 1 day patch to download all the EN and JP voices to the game.
i think the voice files are more then 1.5GB that's why they didn't put it in the cartridge.

RK128

no,the physical game does not have any voice,it was sets to off in the option menu
there will be 1 day patch to download all the EN and JP voices to the game.
i think the voice files are more then 1.5GB that's why they didn't put it in the cartridge.

Wait wait wait.......no voice files are in the retail Vita version? Damn....I guess at least the game's file sizes won't be that massive (just 2GB at most for voices).

Wait wait wait.......no voice files are in the retail Vita version? Damn....I guess at least the game's file sizes won't be that massive (just 2GB at most for voices).

Not sure how accurate random Gamefaqs dude is, but I've seen people say the base game is 2.7gbs, which would mean a single language of voice work is more than .6gbs (Vita cart size is 3.3gbs max).

RK128

Not sure how accurate random Gamefaqs dude is, but I've seen people say the base game is 2.7gbs, which would mean a single language of voice work is more than .6gbs (Vita cart size is 3.3gbs max).

Okay, so the patch will be about.....1.5 GB's. Not a bad size amount honestly, as it would hopefully include both English & JP voices.

Top Bottom