• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

mollipen

Okay! Mark Skelter clarification time, as there was some confusion over how the light novel stuff was working on our end.

The entirety of the light novel that was released in parts in Japan—through sources like in-game pieces, the website, a book that came with the Idea Factory LE, and a Kadokawa physical light novel—is not all included in the game. Those parts were combined, but they'll be releases through "another unannounced outlet" according to IFI. But, they also say that "this does not include the Mary Skelter light novel released by Kadokawa."

I can't fully understand what that means, because I never touched the Japanese version nor payed attention to any details on its light novel stuff. But, for those who would know, there's better clarification.

Okay! Mark Skelter clarification time, as there was some confusion over how the light novel stuff was working on our end.

The entirety of the light novel that was released in parts in Japan—through sources like in-game pieces, the website, a book that came with the Idea Factory LE, and a Kadokawa physical light novel—is not all included in the game. Those parts were combined, but they'll be releases through "another unannounced outlet" according to IFI. But, they also say that "this does not include the Mary Skelter light novel released by Kadokawa."

I can't fully understand what that means, because I never touched the Japanese version nor payed attention to any details on its light novel stuff. But, for those who would know, there's better clarification.

Probably safe to assume that they'll be included in the LE for the game, as IFI doesn't really do dlc like that, unless it existed as dlc in the first place. I mean the LE is still "unannounced" even though it's obvious it will get one.

Ephidel

Okay, so here's how the Japanese side of it worked.

The game features Jack and a bunch of girls with the names of fairytale characters.

神獄塔 メアリスケルター ~光の在処~ is the Kadokawa physical light novel. It features a duo called Mamoru and Hikari (not Jack and the girls who take the lead in the game)

The "in-game pieces" are bits of the Kadokawa physical light novel.

神獄塔 メアリスケルター ~獄中童話前日譚~ are a set of 12 chapters/stories that were published in dengeki and online on CH's website here.
There were 12, and there's a fan translation of some of them kicking around somewhere.
They focus on the Dawn organisation and introduce (character spoiler?)
Red Riding Hood
. 8-11 introduce some of the other girls, and 12 has the backstory of (character spoiler)
Jack and Alice
and ends about where the game starts.

The pamphlet book that came with the LE is a thoroughly underwhelming 64 pages in total. The first 26 are in colour and have some character profiles and a few pages of art. After that it's black and white and you've got some design sketches of the girls before designs were finalised and some sketches of the world and monsters.
41-51 are a story titled (spoilers that a character exists?)
Rapunzel
and 53-64 are a story titled (spoilers that a different character exists)
Gretel
. I didn't read either of them because the title pages had spoiler warnings on them telling me not to read them until I finished the game.

There's also the guide book (神獄塔 メアリスケルター ビジュアルコレクション&ストーリーガイドブック) which is mostly a guide with CGs and maps and character art and stuff, but also has an interview with some of the staff and another story featuring Mamoru and Hikaru. If I'm reading the contents correctly it might include the 獄中童話前日譚 chapters too.

i-Jest

Thank you Lord Shizuka.

Probably safe to assume that they'll be included in the LE for the game, as IFI doesn't really do dlc like that, unless it existed as dlc in the first place. I mean the LE is still "unannounced" even though it's obvious it will get one.

I already have the game preordered. Am I really going to get an LE, if it becomes real? Yeah, I'm weak. I'm looking forward to more news on it if its real.

Okay, so here's how the Japanese side of it worked.

The game features Jack and a bunch of girls with the names of fairytale characters.

神獄塔 メアリスケルター ~光の在処~ is the Kadokawa physical light novel. It features a duo called Mamoru and Hikari (not Jack and the girls who take the lead in the game)

The "in-game pieces" are bits of the Kadokawa physical light novel.

神獄塔 メアリスケルター ~獄中童話前日譚~ are a set of 12 chapters/stories that were published in dengeki and online on CH's website here.
There were 12, and there's a fan translation of some of them kicking around somewhere.
They focus on the Dawn organisation and introduce (character spoiler?). 8-11 introduce some of the other girls, and 12 has the backstory of (character spoiler) and ends about where the game starts.

The pamphlet book that came with the LE is a thoroughly underwhelming 64 pages in total. The first 26 are in colour and have some character profiles and a few pages of art. After that it's black and white and you've got some design sketches of the girls before designs were finalised and some sketches of the world and monsters.
41-51 are a story titled (spoilers that a character exists?)
Rapunzel
and 53-64 are a story titled (spoilers that a different character exists)
Gretel
. I didn't read either of them because the title pages had spoiler warnings on them telling me not to read them until I finished the game.

There's also the guide book (神獄塔 メアリスケルター ビジュアルコレクション&ストーリーガイドブック) which is mostly a guide with CGs and maps and character art and stuff, but also has an interview with some of the staff and another story featuring Mamoru and Hikaru. If I'm reading the contents correctly it might include the 獄中童話前日譚 chapters too.

Thanks for shedding some light on whats what.

incpdo

im planning on buying a second vita too, i nee one for translations and to try some imprevements the overvlock brings. I will keep buying original games tho , not a fan of piracy in current gen consoles( yes Vita is part of the current gen of handhelds)

im planning on buying a second vita too, i nee one for translations and to try some imprevements the overvlock brings. I will keep buying original games tho , not a fan of piracy in current gen consoles( yes Vita is part of the current gen of handhelds)

I wonder if the Atelier games get any framerate improvements when overclocking.

Shinriji

Not sure if serious.

If serious, holy shit K-T.

Yep, I'm serious. My final run in all those Ateliers was with the protag in bikini and the framerate definetly improves. I name it the "60FPS clothes".

The good thing is that some games (Totori and Rorona IIRC), you can unlock the swimsuit in NG+.

Yep, I'm serious. My final run in all those Ateliers was with the protag in bikini and the framerate definetly improves. I name it the "60FPS clothes".

The good thing is that some games (Totori and Rorona IIRC), you can unlock the swimsuit in NG+.

Digital Foundry needs to investigate this holy shit lol

Shizuka

All Atelier games work like that? I might jump into Sophie soon so I need to know.

Her default costume is so cute tho ( ._.)

I don't think there's any costume in the world that'd make Atelier Firis playable and this is coming from someone who's very tolerant of low framerate.

Ephidel

So is Mary Skelter incomplete or incomprehensible without a bunch of extra material that may or may not be localized later?
Nah, it's all extra stuff.

Tons of franchises get expanded universe media, this is just another one.

You can play Mary Skelter without the extra stuff the same way you can watch Doctor Who without listening to The Lost Angel and reading Diamond Dogs, or the way you can play God Eater without reading about Geese Crimson and Silva Orcride. That stuff exists and it's out there if you want it, but it's not necessary.

Shinriji

All Atelier games work like that? I might jump into Sophie soon so I need to know.

Her default costume is so cute tho ( ._.)

At least with the Arland Trilogy.

It won't hurt to tell, but the framerate will never be a rock solid 60, not even get to the PS3 framerate. It will improve, though. Mainly indoors fields (caves, the secret dungeon) the framerate keeps at 60 for most part. Checking what costume will improve the framerate is quite easy. Just get into the model viewer, change costumes and rotate the model, you will see the difference.

For a well loved series on vita GAF, I am quite surprised that this isn't common knowledge.

UCBooties

Nah, it's all extra stuff.

Tons of franchises get expanded universe media, this is just another one.

You can play Mary Skelter without the extra stuff the same way you can watch Doctor Who without listening to The Lost Angel and reading Diamond Dogs, or the way you can play God Eater without reading about Geese Crimson and Silva Orcride. That stuff exists and it's out there if you want it, but it's not necessary.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.

Arthos

Has Salt and Sanctuary been on sale on the Vita? Debating whether to get it now or just wait. Totally forgot about it and remember wanting to play it but on the Vita.

Ventara

Wait, what? I played Totori with her beach outfit practically all of NG+ and I didn't notice any difference.

mollipen

original.gif

FDC1

A game called Basting Agent: Ultimate Edition was released in Europe today. Apparently it's a retro action/platformer. Sadly it's not cross-buy with the PS4 version but at least it's only 2.99€.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
When is Romancing SaGa 2 coming? :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So is Mary Skelter incomplete or incomprehensible without a bunch of extra material that may or may not be localized later?

No as that LN stuff is a side story of other characters that are not even a main part of the story with the game.

The game is pretty standalone from it outside of the world setting and fact that the characters in the LN were also prisoners in the same place Jack and Mary was.

Do any of you guys have any experience with Aksys' physical releases in EU?

I'd read that 365games was the only UK retailer which stocked them. But Base.com seem to have Tokyo Xanadu listed. Anyone know whether this will be the legit PEGI version or just an import?

Saphirax

Do any of you guys have any experience with Aksys' physical releases in EU?

I'd read that 365games was the only UK retailer which stocked them. But Base.com seem to have Tokyo Xanadu listed. Anyone know whether this will be the legit PEGI version or just an import?

No one knows. Not even Aksys. Your best bet would be to get in touch with base.com and inquire about the game.

Although, I wasn't aware Base sold import versions of games.

Top Bottom