• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

Takao

Banned
in a cool world corsi's team would port kof xiii climax to vita and ps4
only been 5 years since it came out in the arcade
but we don't live in a cool world

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
With the surprise of no one, i hate when a game is clearly cancelled but then someone says it's not and then there's the official cancellation statement.

I have always wanted KOFXIII on vita, even KOF 2002 UM would have been enough.
Luckily now i can play most of the games i want without hoping/begging for a port.

I'd be happy with any KoF given the Code Mystics treatment really. Problem is they normally just do Neo Geo ports and none of those versions are worthwhile really (i.e. '98 or '02 aren't the UM versions).

I'd be happy with XIII, but that seems far too much effort for Gio to get involved.

So I had a bit of a moan about Banner Saga on Twitter and got a variety of responses from the usual strong-Vita-supporting devs that are quite nice and encouraging.

Luc Bernard (Plague Road):

I think there will be some exciting news this year, @giocorsi is really passionate and is one of the reasons the #PSVita still has devs

Behind the Stone (Sir Eatsalot):

Luc is right. Bunch of western devs focus on the #PSVita.
Our #SirEatsalot, Lucs #MechoTales, @rainbite #Reverie.
Games to look out for ;)

Rainbite (Reverie):

We will not, I repeat, NOT let down the vita community

Takes the sting from Banner Saga away a little bit.

I'd love to hear what Gio has to say about it. I might see if he'll do an interview for me with one of the sites I write for.

Cornbread78

Just a heads up, the new EU PSN Sale has a few of the remaining Ateliers on sale and lots of other great stuff:
https://psprices.com/region-de/discounts/?sort=date&platform=PSVita&display=table (just change your region)

Uggh. I've been waiting forever for NA PSN to put the entire Dusk trilogy on sale at the same time, but they refuse to put them all on sale at the same time, or create a bundle...

The same for SAO Hollow Realization, which has gone on sale once for like $5-10 off tops...

Are these all available physically anywhere, or were all the Atelier games in the dusk trilogy NISA LE web exclusive?

Jimrpg

Uggh. I've been waiting forever for NA PSN to put the entire Dusk trilogy on sale at the same time, but they refuse to put them all on sale at the same time, or create a bundle...

The same for SAO Hollow Realization, which has gone on sale once for like $5-10 off tops...

Are these all available physically anywhere, or were all the Atelier games in the dusk trilogy NISA LE web exclusive?

I bought Shallie Plus, then the Arland Trilogy and will get Escha and Logy in this sale, and I still need Ayesha (not spending full price on it though).

SAO Hollow Realization has a retail release. (I almost picked it up when a local store was clearing it out for AU$10). Ayesha Plus is digital only in the west, Escha and Logy had a limited physical release which has sold out. Shallie Plus is still available at places like 365games or ozgameshop for about AU$40-50.

I'd expect SAO to be pretty cheap, I've seen the other SAO's drop down to AU$10 digitally.

Cornbread78

I bought Shallie Plus, then the Arland Trilogy and will get Escha and Logy in this sale, and I still need Ayesha (not spending full price on it though).

SAO Hollow Realization has a retail release. (I almost picked it up when a local store was clearing it out for AU$10). Ayesha Plus is digital only in the west, Escha and Logy had a limited physical release which has sold out. Shallie Plus is still available at places like 365games or ozgameshop for about AU$40-50.

I'd expect SAO to be pretty cheap, I've seen the other SAO's drop down to AU$10 digitally.

Man, NA is getting hosed with that stuff then!

How much USD is that Hollow Realization? Can anyone grab me a copy if it's that cheap in EU?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Seems like the Velocity 2X listing from Amazon UK is gone for Vita.
Was going to cancel my order, but wanted to look at the product listing one more time and it's gone.

Ayesha is my favourite of the bunch. I'd recommend it prior to the other Dusk games. Totori is best Arland game.

You've made good purchasing decisions and indeed, there's enough Atelier to last a lifetime.

Bunga

Can any of you guys recommend to me the best Western games available on PS Vita? I kind of view my Vita as a console that is the home of Japanese games and I've come to the realisation that I just don't enjoy Japanese games very much, or at least very often - there have been exceptions over the years.

Cornbread78

Can any of you guys recommend to me the best Western games available on PS Vita? I kind of view my Vita as a console that is the home of Japanese games and I've come to the realisation that I just don't enjoy Japanese games very much, or at least very often - there have been exceptions over the years.

This is a tough one, but probably:

just looking at retail titles:

Killzone; Mercenary
Uncharted
Wipeout
Mortal Kombat (western?)

autoduelist

Darkest Dungeon is $10. How low do you guys think it'll go?

It'll probably hit $5, but... just get it now?

You'd figure the "can this run on Vita" question would've been heavily looked into between stages 2 and 3. Honestly, I would've preferred that to happen before step 1.

Reading the essay that went along with the cancellation, it seems like a lot of the work was rebuilding the engine in a way that could work on the vita at all. This was a large effort, because they were coding 'in the dark'... they couldn't run it on anything, just hope they were doing the right things to get it up and running. And then, when they finally did, they still had massive performance issues which ultimately derailed the project.

Basically, it's not something they -could- have done before 'step 1'. Unfortunate, but makes sense to me.

This makes me really sad, both because I really wanted to play the game on my Vita and the fact that Sony didn't manage to keep their "promise" to the Vita audience. To me, this is the final symbol that Sony have stopped caring about the V side of their customers.

It may sound stupid but this might change how I see Sony in the future :|

It shouldn't i don't think. They stepped in and tried to save the project after it had been cancelled. That's awesome. They, along with others, invested a lot to make it happen. It couldn't. That's not a reason to be mad at Sony. They tried. Heck, they tried when they didn't even have to. Just because devs determined it wasn't going to happen isn't a reason to get mad at Sony.

The best thing that could happen would be they see the success of the Switch, and start making something in time for an announcement at TGS 2018. I would be shocked if we got something this year.

But I think a lot of mainstream gamers probably feel burned by their Vita, so it's going to be difficult for Sony to gain the trust back.

I'd wager Sony is always working on a handheld. Maybe just a B team, and nothing greenlighted for release, but Sony is a massive gadget company heavily into gadget r&d.

I also don't think the vita is an issue. The WiiU failed miserably, but all it took was the switch to grab everyone back. If Sony gives us a well designed product, it has a good chance.

[I've said it before, but I think it should have:
1) standard memory, obviously
2) optimized both inside and out for remote play
3) BC with PS1, PSP, and Vita.
4) hdmi out from the getgo
and....
5) Play PSN PS2 games. Market this feature heavily.

I think having it be a portable PS2 [on top of everything else] leverages Sony's back catalog in a way that's irresistible. Licensing might be an issue, of course... hopefully we'd get the PS3's digital PS2 collection and not the PS4s, but that's for lawyers to sort out.

Bunga

This is a tough one, but probably:

just looking at retail titles:

Killzone; Mercenary
Uncharted
Wipeout
Mortal Kombat (western?)

Thanks, already played and completed the KZ, Uncharted and Wipeout.

Are there any RPG's or anything? Even from the PSP/PS One libraries?

I should note that I also have Darkest Dungeon but find it a bit of a struggle, think it might be a bit too tough for my liking.

redcrayon

I refuse to believe the following will suffer the same fate as The Banner Saga, Poncho, or the like:

2064: Read Only Memories
Pixel Noir
Regalia: Of Men & Monarchs
VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Collectems
Drift Stage
Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey
Aztez

Or I could be wrong and more than half these games get cancelled for Vita within the next two years. Atleast Undertale is coming soon and 99Vidas just released.

This is my current list of things I'm interested in that were, at some point, mentioned as having upcoming Vita releases. If half of them turn up in the next year or so I'll be happy. There is a lot of stuff in the OP that has gone radio silent- the big one for me was tactical RPG 'Liege', and while I appreciate indie games development can mean years of toil, I've given up hope of ever seeing it on the Vita.

Cosmic Star Heroine
Heart forth alicia
Crossing Souls
Timespinner
Iconoclasts
Chasm
Regalia
Pixel Noir
Dragon Fin Soup: Extra Chunky
Beyond human

Other than Parakeetman, how many casualties did Vitagaf suffer from today's thread?

What was the thread?

Amazing Spider-man
Civilization Revolution 2 Plus
Downwell
Geometry Wars 3
Guacamelee
Hotline Miami
Jak & Daxter Trilogy
Killzone Mercenary
LEGO Marvel's Avengers
LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
LittleBigPlanet
Modnation Racers: Road Trip
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Neon Chrome
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Sly Cooper Trilogy
Super Stardust Delta
Tearaway
Teslagrad
TxK
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Unit 13

Some of my favourites

redcrayon

l
Amazing Spider-man
Downwell
Geometry Wars 3
Guacamelee
Hotline Miami
Jak & Daxter Trilogy
Killzone Mercenary
LEGO Marvel's Avengers
LittleBigPlanet
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Neon Chrome
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Sly Cooper Trilogy
Super Stardust Delta
Tearaway
Teslagrad
TxK
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Unit 13

Some of my favourites

Nice list of western games on Vita. Killzone, Hotline Miami and Guacamelee are my picks from that lot.

To add some more, I really enjoyed;
The Swapper
Rocketbirds
Steamworld Dig
Steamworld Heist
Soldner X
The Swindle (I'm probably the only person that mentions it here but it's given me a lot of fun over the last two years!)

Seems like the Velocity 2X listing from Amazon UK is gone for Vita.
Was going to cancel my order, but wanted to look at the product listing one more time and it's gone.

Yeah, I noticed the same for GAME UK. All the other small shops still have. Seems like it's not worth it for the majors?

And do you guys see the free artbook anywhere besides amazon.es?

Cornbread78

Other than Parakeetman, how many casualties did Vitagaf suffer from today's thread?

I'm really bummed about this... Does anyone have his Twitter handle? Was it a perma ban?

Swimsuits in Blue Reflection

I tried to warn people, but the mods went back through the entire thread and I was late... They have 0 tolerance for this stuff and have done several mass bans over the past couple years on the gaming and anime side of things because of it...

deadfolk

and....

I think having it be a portable PS2 [on top of everything else] leverages Sony's back catalog in a way that's irresistible. Licensing might be an issue, of course... hopefully we'd get the PS3's digital PS2 collection and not the PS4s, but that's for lawyers to sort out.

Damn...what I wouldn't give...

autoduelist

Amazing Spider-man
Downwell
*Geometry Wars 3
****Guacamelee
****Hotline Miami
Jak & Daxter Trilogy
****Killzone Mercenary
LEGO Marvel's Avengers
LittleBigPlanet
****Need for Speed: Most Wanted
****Neon Chrome
*Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Sly Cooper Trilogy
***Super Stardust Delta
****Tearaway
Teslagrad
****TxK
****Uncharted: Golden Abyss
****Unit 13

Some of my favourites

Nice list of western games on Vita. Killzone, Hotline Miami and Guacamelee are my picks from that lot.

To add some more, I really enjoyed;
The Swapper
Rocketbirds
Steamworld Dig
****Steamworld Heist
****Soldner X
The Swindle (I'm probably the only person that mentions it here but it's given me a lot of fun over the last two years!)

I put asterisks next to my favs, but that doesn't mean i didn't like others.

To keep this list going:

Binding of Isaac [goty for me the year it released]
Rayman games
Lumines
Crimsonland
Nuclear Throne
Pinball Arcade
zen Pinball
flame over
spelunky [not my thing, but others love it]
velocity ultra
velocity 2x
bastion
asphalt [janky but somehow fun]
breach & clear
dead nation
sine mora
x-com

Prelude.

Just a heads up, since I didn't know this until I read it on Reddit a few days ago, but now I tested it and it actually works.
You can transfer the PS3 save of Peace Walker HD on the Vita and import it there.

On the PS3 game, "transfarring out" to a usb stick (it's recognized as a psp), exit the game, copy the psp save from the stick to the ps3, connect the Vita via content manager and import the psp save from the PS3. That's it.

When you use transfarring the game says the save will be locked until you transfer it back, but I think (didn't try it yet) that if you back up the PS3 save and then overwrite it later it'll be back to normal.

I'm saying this since it's €2.99 until tomorrow.

autoduelist

I have way too many games, way too little money and Darkest Dungeon is nowhere near the top of my priority list.

I know the feeling, but it's hard to judge how cheap a game will go. Most will drop to a couple bucks eventually... though some just fall off the radar and stop having sales. If it's not high on your priority list, then that's an easy skip I'd think.

Just a heads up for people with an US and EU account. Fallen Legion is crossbuy on the EU PSN for 15,99€ with PS+ (19,99€ without) + an extra PS4 theme. No theme and no crossbuy for americans, instead you have to buy the bundle for 29,99$ to get both.

Edit: Someone told me, that there was a similar pre-order thing for the US PSN?

Quixzlizx

Just a heads up for people with an US and EU account. Fallen Legion is crossbuy on the EU PSN for 15,99€ with PS+ (19,99€ without) + an extra PS4 theme. No theme and no crossbuy for americans, instead you have to buy the bundle for 29,99$ to get both.

Edit: Someone told me, that there was a similar pre-order thing for the US PSN?

There was. I got the cross-buy package for $16.

redcrayon

I know the feeling, but it's hard to judge how cheap a game will go. Most will drop to a couple bucks eventually... though some just fall off the radar and stop having sales. If it's not high on your priority list, then that's an easy skip I'd think.
Hey Autoduelist, I meant to ask you as we've discussed SRPGs in the past, what do you make of God Wars? I'm enjoying it so far, heading towards the end of chapter two and the gameplay is good. I feel character design lets it down a bit though, and that the job system isn't quite deep enough to sustain through the whole game, as my main team is on advanced careers already.

Käebi

So, what's the deal with Borderlands 2? 10€ right now on the PSN store and I would love to play it on the go, since I didn't play it yet on console.
Some technical problems are okay for me, but does it feel okay?

Jimrpg

Man, NA is getting hosed with that stuff then!

How much USD is that Hollow Realization? Can anyone grab me a copy if it's that cheap in EU?

Well it was a clear out just a few copies left, probably won't happen again.

I

I'd wager Sony is always working on a handheld. Maybe just a B team, and nothing greenlighted for release, but Sony is a massive gadget company heavily into gadget r&d.

I also don't think the vita is an issue. The WiiU failed miserably, but all it took was the switch to grab everyone back. If Sony gives us a well designed product, it has a good chance.

[I've said it before, but I think it should have:
and....

Nintendo has a legion of diehard fans that get excited with every hardware release. It's hard to say the same thing with Microsoft or even Sony. Nintendo 64, Gamecube and Wii U all had worse sales than its previous home consoles, yet the subsequent console was always hyped up. PSP wasn't really seen as a success despite its hardware sales and I think Vita suffered a bit from this.

Those suggestions for a Vita 2 are pretty sweet and I agree, if it doesn't have standard memory its dead in the water. (I'll probably still buy it regardless.)

Tearaway is the one must have Vita western game. I doubt the experience is as good on the PS4 simply because it uses the front and back touch for adjusting platforms.

Terraria is a huge time sink and great for me as I can't handle the first person view in Minecraft.

Wipeout 2048 is a pretty sweet track racer despite some flaws (long loading times, 30fps, hard, and I like the PSP versions clean art style better).

i-Jest

This is my current list of things I'm interested in that were, at some point, mentioned as having upcoming Vita releases. If half of them turn up in the next year or so I'll be happy. There is a lot of stuff in the OP that has gone radio silent- the big one for me was tactical RPG 'Liege', and while I appreciate indie games development can mean years of toil, I've given up hope of ever seeing it on the Vita.

Cosmic Star Heroine
Heart forth alicia
Crossing Souls
Timespinner
Iconoclasts
Chasm
Regalia
Pixel Noir
Dragon Fin Soup: Extra Chunky
Beyond human

I have faith in 2064: Read Only Memorie, VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action, YIIK, and Cosmic Star Heroine coming before the absolute end. I would love if we got some good news concerning Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey, Pixel Noir, and The Last Raven but I wouldn't be surprised if those just got axed at some point.

autoduelist

Hey Autoduelist, I meant to ask you as we've discussed SRPGs in the past, what do you make of God Wars? I'm enjoying it so far, heading towards the end of chapter two and the gameplay is good. I feel character design lets it down a bit though, and that the job system isn't quite deep enough to sustain through the whole game, as my main team is on advanced careers already.

I'm really enjoying God Wars. I don't mind the character design - I fell in love with Kuma on the spot, and I don't generally care about that sort of thing. Gameplay is definitely solid, I enjoy the variety of actions. The AI seems solid and combat is fun, though as with any game like this the risk of having your team become OP is there [I do appreciate that instead of replaying missions we get 'new' versions of each mission with different enemies... but it still is hard not to end up OP].

The job system is... well, a job system. It's definitely fun leveling everything up [and I like the skill trees, and I -love- that every character has a unique tree], but it creates a serious problem [mentioned above] where the game practically begs you to grind early and end up wildly OP.

On one hand, I think it's awesome [in theory] that I can be a level 8 shinobi with a subjob of magician, and then take passives I earned as a monk and a priest. In theory. In practice, since I know I'm going to be changing jobs I end up only caring about good passives and my team can easily carry a character that just changed jobs.

Again, I don't think this is a problem with God Wars specifically, I think it's true of every SRPG with a job system I've played. But I'm still having fun.

Overall, I think it's one of the better traditional SRPGs. It's very accessible while also having more depth than most. I also think the UI is great, with lots of quality of life benefits, like being able to set characters to auto-fight [I could see this being useful to auto-level once I beat the game and try to get a trophy or two].

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone, and am really glad I picked it up. I think it does a great job of touching on some of the better aspects of FFTactics... but it comes with some of FFT's problems as well.

dawgparty

Just picked up my vita again. Looking for a more traditional JRPG if possible. I have already played Persona 4 and Tales of Heart R. Digital titles are cool too.

redcrayon

I'm really enjoying God Wars. I don't mind the character design - I fell in love with Kuma on the spot, and I don't generally care about that sort of thing. Gameplay is definitely solid, I enjoy the variety of actions. The AI seems solid and combat is fun, though as with any game like this the risk of having your team become OP is there [I do appreciate that instead of replaying missions we get 'new' versions of each mission with different enemies... but it still is hard not to end up OP].

The job system is... well, a job system. It's definitely fun leveling everything up [and I like the skill trees, and I -love- that every character has a unique tree], but it creates a serious problem [mentioned above] where the game practically begs you to grind early and end up wildly OP.

On one hand, I think it's awesome [in theory] that I can be a level 8 shinobi with a subjob of magician, and then take passives I earned as a monk and a priest. In theory. In practice, since I know I'm going to be changing jobs I end up only caring about good passives and my team can easily carry a character that just changed jobs.

Again, I don't think this is a problem with God Wars specifically, I think it's true of every SRPG with a job system I've played. But I'm still having fun.

Overall, I think it's one of the better traditional SRPGs. It's very accessible while also having more depth than most. I also think the UI is great, with lots of quality of life benefits, like being able to set characters to auto-fight [I could see this being useful to auto-level once I beat the game and try to get a trophy or two].

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone, and am really glad I picked it up. I think it does a great job of touching on some of the better aspects of FFTactics... but it comes with some of FFT's problems as well.
Good stuff, thanks for that. Yeah, there's plenty of mechanical depth to get your teeth into and that's what I like in an SRPG. Kuna is indeed lovely. :) I quite like the way special moves are handled across the party, with a mix of defensive and offensive ones split across the end of the job skill trees, and that they can be levelled up too.

Top Bottom