• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Update: Confirmed for PS3/PC] Rumor - Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Releasing on PC

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pigsy's Perfect 10 is an underappreciated piece of DLC. Pigsy was such a great comic relief character, and the game in general was fantastic. I always feel bad for the people who could only see it for its flaws.

Hopefully this re-release can get a few more people on the side of the controversial Ninja-Theory-is-a-quality-developer train, maybe even enough to warrant a sequel.

I wasn't a fan of some of the gameplay elements they focused on with Pigsy, but it was quite impressive in length and IIRC it was all unique areas from the main game too which is always a pleasant surprise.

Cool, I'll probably be nabbing this when it's on a cheap sale on Steam. I'm guessing that I'll like it given that I enjoyed Heavenly Sword. It's odd actually, Heavenly Sword is one of those games that I normally wouldn't like, and when folks criticize it I can really refute any of the criticisms, but in spite of recognizing the many faults I still rather liked the game. Just had some unexplainable pull to it that I enjoyed.

EGM1966

Wonder why re-release PS3 vs nothing on 360? How is it even going to be better on PS3 given it ran pretty iffy on it first time around?

Flarin

OMG this month!? I'm so damn hyped! Definitely double-dipping for PC master race. Can't wait for that 1080P 60 FPS goodness :D

Also, has there ever been a delay this long for a GOTY/ Premium edition? 3 years seems pretty extreme. Wonder why it took so long or why they're even doing it all. I ain't complaining, just kind of curious.

I wonder what the price will be. I think it would be crazy if they priced it at 60$, considering how long ago the game came out and how poorly it sold. If they price it at 20$, I will buy it.

LQX

Pigsy's Perfect 10 is an underappreciated piece of DLC. Pigsy was such a great comic relief character, and the game in general was fantastic. I always feel bad for the people who could only see it for its flaws.

Hopefully this re-release can get a few more people on the side of the controversial Ninja-Theory-is-a-quality-developer train, maybe even enough to warrant a sequel.

It is ridiculous how that thing NEVER went on sale. At least I now have good reason to play the PC version.

Grief.exe

Because Alan Wake and Mortal Kombat were actually good :p

What exactly makes this game bad by your estimation?

I don't usually put any value in these things, but both the critic and user score on Metacritic is over 80%. So far in this thread, people have said how great the visuals, art design, and story are in the game. Most people seem to think the gameplay is pretty solid, though gets tiring.

I don't see how this game could be labeled as bad, flawed, sure, but not bad.

EDIT: Both Mortal Kombat and Alan Wake have similar metacritic user and critic scores.

dsk1210

Perfect!

I got about half way through the 360 version, was really digging it at the time, it will look much nicer with a higher resolution and framerate.

Never got the chance to try out Pigsy's perfect 10, which was supposed to be very good as a dlc.

Would be awesome if the PC port was as good as Alan Wake's. I'm keeping my expectations low though.

I remember reviews of the dlc being pretty underwhelming. I didn't get it back then because I didn't really care about the character.

dsk1210

Perfect!

I got about half way through the 360 version, was really digging it at the time, it will look much nicer with a higher resolution and framerate.

Never got the chance to try out Pigsy's perfect 10, which was supposed to be very good as a dlc.

I love when games appear out of nowhere and get released almost instantly, a nice surprise indeed.

What exactly makes this game bad by your estimation?

I don't usually put any value in these things, but both the critic and user score on Metacritic is over 80%. So far in this thread, people have said how great the visuals, art design, and story are in the game. Most people seem to think the gameplay is pretty solid, though gets tiring.

I don't see how this game could be labeled as bad, flawed, sure, but not bad.

EDIT: Both Mortal Kombat and Alan Wake have similar metacritic user and critic scores.

It's all style, little substance. Gameplay is about as solid as Assassin's Creed but with 100x the input lag.

Edit: Also, the writing is pretty good but it's all in the dialogue, not the story. The story did nothing a hundred other games haven't done.

I actually hated Assassin's Creed gameplay. I had to force myself to finish AC2, and that is apparently the best in the series.

Understandable. Before AC3 killed any interest I had in the series, AC was basically my end of the year catch up on podcasts/TV series time.

To be fair, that's most modern games. I think people have accepted that at this point.

Sadly, yeah. I can often overlook it if the game does enough other things well enough to hook me (good story, good level design, good scenario design, etc.) but Enslaved didn't. The best thing I can say about it is that it has really good dialogue, both from a writing and voice acting perspective.

Grief.exe

ioJP0OadwyIMD.gif

Haha. To be fair though, maybe you'll get something out of it that I didn't. The problem with AC isn't just the gameplay, the entire design of the game is what makes it feel hollow and boring after 10 minutes. So maybe Enslaved's mediocre to bad gameplay will be fine to you while running down the very linear levels in the game.

Grief.exe

Haha. To be fair though, maybe you'll get something out of it that I didn't. The problem with AC isn't just the gameplay, the entire design of the game is what makes it feel hollow and boring after 10 minutes. So maybe Enslaved's mediocre to bad gameplay will be fine to you while running down the very linear levels in the game.

I played AC2 and I'm finished.

Grief.exe

Would be awesome if the PC port was as good as Alan Wake's. I'm keeping my expectations low though.

I remember reviews of the dlc being pretty underwhelming. I didn't get it back then because I didn't really care about the character.

They have been working on the port daily for a significant amount of time now, and it is UE3 which is a solid engine on the PC side.

Remains to be seen, but it could be quite solid.

To be fair, that's most modern games. I think people have accepted that at this point.

Yeah but this one is a step further in that direction. Whoever mentioned AC is spot on. The platforming pretty much plays itself. The combat is shockingly bad due to input lag.

The story and the setting are quite good and its gonna look fantastic on the PC if nothing else. But I honestly could never recommend this to anyone who isnt in love with games like AC.

Grief.exe

Yeah but this one is a step further in that direction. Whoever mentioned AC is spot on. The platforming pretty much plays itself. The combat is shockingly bad due to input lag.

The story and the setting are quite good and its gonna look fantastic on the PC if nothing else. But I honestly could never recommend this to anyone who isnt in love with games like AC.

Is it just press one button for combat and platforming like AC? Or is there more depth to it?

Exis

Dumb question, buy why no next gen version? Taking something to PC should make it easy to port it to the PS4 at this rate.

Grief.exe

Dumb question, buy why no next gen version? Taking something to PC should make it easy to port it to the PS4 at this rate.

I would say it is because they want to avoid a retail release, since those tend to cost more money, but the PS3 version would be an easy counter-argument to that point.

They may be pointing towards a next-gen version with this release. Both consoles would then share a similar architecture with the PC version.

Of course, if you look at Namco's recent strategy, they seem to want to get as many of their releases on PC as possible. Long tail sales on the platform are particularly lucrative, even a decade down the line.

Is it just press one button for combat and platforming like AC? Or is there more depth to it?

There is no depth. At least none in platforming. Its not about traversal. Its not about chaining move together. Its not about reflexes or timing. Its almost impossible to fail since all you have to do is move to the edge and press a button. You cant even fall off edges IIRC there are invisible barriers preventing you from doing so.

Combat isnt quite as ........ "childproof" as platforming is but its not a lot better. The input lag doesnt help much, it never really feels fluid or interesting. Just mash your way to a better tomorrow. :/

Its ridiculously shallow. And the game is agonizingly long. If you are gonna have bad gameplay at least have the courtesy to make it 5 hours or so. :p

Top Bottom