• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Infoscout Black Friday analysis based on 83,000 receipts

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to data released Saturday by retail performance tracker InfoScout, Microsoft started out the holiday shopping season with a bang. InfoScout issued its combined console sales estimates for Walmart and Target and found that not only did Xbox One unit sales top the PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 sales did as well.

According to the firm’s data, which is based on the analysis of roughly 83,000 shopping receipts, the Xbox One was the best-selling console at Walmart and Target, accounting for 31 percent of home console sales despite its high price. Incredibly deep discounts on the Xbox 360 pushed it into the No. 2 spot with a 30 percent share of all sales. Together, the consoles combined to give Microsoft a whopping 61 percent of home console sales on Black Friday.

InfoScout reports that the PlayStation 4 and previous-generation PlayStation 3 each took 15 percent of home console sales at Target and Walmart. Nintendo’s struggling Wii U accounted for 6 percent of home video game console sales and the Wii represented just 1 percent of sales at the two retail chains.

The firm’s polling found that consumers cited “too much hype” and high game prices among the top reasons for passing on the PlayStation 4, while the lack of any must-have games was a big complaint among those who did not purchase the Xbox One.
Link

That last bit is really interesting. "Too much hype" makes people pass on a console? Lolwut?

Derrick01

Banned
I wonder how many times this walmart & target sales data thread will be posted. I'm pretty sure this is the 5th one I've seen.

Oneself

It doesn't help that PS4 was sold out pretty much everywhere ... and we know that's not the case with the Xbox One.

TTOOLL

tumblr_llaj1fufIL1qzjix8.gif

Couldn't this just mean that Xbone was more readily available than the PS4 on the day?

Edit: Wait, is this the same infoscout story from earlier in the week? Nevermind then.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"Too much hype" LOL

What do they even mean by high priced games on PS4? They're the same as XBO, 360, PS3, and Wii U.

Link

That last bit is really interesting. "Too much hype" makes people pass on a console? Lolwut?

It was always going to sell more than PS4 on Black Friday. Stores got 4 times as many units in according to workers at multiple stores on my search for a PS4. Microsoft is clearly focusing most of their stock on the US market. Also saying 360 sold more really isn't saying much. They had a $99 unit. That was always going to destroy everything else in sales.

Kysen

This article for some reason or another keeps showing up, I've seen at least 3 threads linking to this or other sites cross referencing it.

KoopaTheCasual

Also, there was this information posted by Shagg about the "83,000" figure.

Reported by others. One example: http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/30/mi...-black-friday/

"The survey was based on about 83,000 shopping receipts from about 3,000 people on Black Friday, which was about double the normal shopping trips that InfoScout tracks in a day. InfoScout’s mobile apps, Receipt Hog and Shoparoo, incentivize 125,000 Americans to submit pictures of their everyday shopping trips. The company processes this information and comes up with analyses within 24 hours of purchases."

Though they have increased that number in their website from 83,000 to 102,000. Of the 102K receipts, 1,500 included a console purchase.

Bullshit numbers are bullshit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oh wow, so PS4 was just as readily available as Xbone? Same number of units available for sale? No? Then this is meaningless.

Guymelef

The original article comments are gold.

PlayStation 4

“Too much hype when Sony doesn’t produce enough”

“Expensive. Games are expensive.”

“It’s too high tech none if the older ps games will work with it and everything is way to expensive I think it’s more for the adults.”

“My oldest child wanted a playstation I have no opinion.”

Xbox One

“It’s the only system that has the game my kids want. I’m not happy about it.”

“Waiting to see the first ‘Must have game’”

Xbox 360

“I think its a great system, with the Kinect, the family can get up and move around”

All seems bad with PS4.

Too much hype is a new meme. LOL holy shit that's gold.

It is hilarious. The system has too much hype, the games are too expensive, so I will just buy the other system that costs more, and has games that cost the same price.

I honestly have a hard time believing that "consumers" as in plural, said there was too much hype. That sounds like a dude and his buddy, or a small group of friends. That is not something I would expect multiple people, from different groups, and different times of the day, in different stores, to say.

However, that doesn't mean that the Xbox One didn't sell more than the PS4 on that one day, I just dont believe that "too much hype" is the reason people weren't buying the PS4.

Tucah

you speak so well
I saw a ton of Xbox One units out on Black Friday and not a single PS4. I'm not surprised it sold more if stock was more readily available.

clockpunk

I can see the 'too much hype' argument - the way so many fawn over the PS4 as the saviour of modern gaming, whilst having almost no reason to purchase one right now (everything which sounds interesting for the system is only promised, or alluded to), certainly puts me against getting one until VERY late next year/2015.

People are blindly praising the console left, right, and centre, ignoring even the most basic of criticisms = too much hype, and potential for disappointment.

txag2005

Banned
Wait....they pass on PS4 because of high game prices....to get an Xbox One with the same game prices PLUS a hundred dollars more?

LOL...what a joke

stormplyr

If anybodies taken a statistics class, they'd know that statistics can be skewed to support any argument. Therefore, idk why this article keeps getting posted since it's obviously flawed.

KoopaTheCasual

wait, 1,500 were console purchases? So Xbox one sold 450 consoles and PS4 about 225? FFS

too hype. so much price

That's why this article was locked the first time. Sensationalism at it's finest. "83,000 receipts!!!... but only 1,500 actual purchases"

Too much hype will never get old, tho. Best line ever.

Welp. This article was already posted.

Wait....they pass on PS4 because of high game prices....to get an Xbox One with the same game prices PLUS a hundred dollars more?

LOL...what a joke

I don't think that's the implication. We don't know if the people passing up on the PS4 because of high games prices are the same people who are buying an XBO. That's just the top response of those that responded to the question about passing up the PS4.

angrygnat

Too much hype? These people just left their Thanksgiving Dinners to go stand in front of Walmart for two hours so that they could save 50 bucks on a 55 inch Sanyo. Black Friday shoppers LIVE for the hype. What kind of crap is that?

netBuff

I can see the 'too much hype' argument - the way so many fawn over the PS4 as the saviour of modern gaming, whilst having almost no reason to purchase one right now (everything which sounds interesting for the system is only promised, or alluded to), certainly puts me against getting one until VERY late next year/2015.

People are blindly praising the console left, right, and centre, ignoring even the most basic of criticisms = too much hype, and potential for disappointment.

You're only hurting yourself with this kind of defiant attitude - no one cares what you think of other people's opinions, buying the objectively worse and more expensive Xbone because you don't like what people are writing online seems bizarre.

The PS4 is a great system right now, it doesn't solely rely on future promise.

Madness

I've noticed that in a sense. PS4 is great and a huge hit with gamers and the public alike, but Microsoft was almost as good with its Xbox One. I'm surprised at how many of my friends list actually got Xbox One.

Plus supply comes into play here too. If Microsoft is restocking quicker and has more units for sale, it's obviously going to end up with more sales, especially since their launch isn't as big as the PS4.

I still predict the PS4 to have more sales in NA this month, and still predict it to be leading worldwide, but it's not as big a runaway as GAF thinks. The majority of the gaming public doesn't know the difference in esram yields, whether it's 720p native upscaled to 1080p.

I think Sony did great this launch. They took a hit last gen in NA and UK, both places where they had record launches. I mean they sold 1 million consoles in 24 hours in Canada and the US alone.

Can't really say much till we start getting concrete NPD numbers though.

I've noticed that in a sense. PS4 is great and a huge hit with gamers and the public alike, but Microsoft was almost as good with its Xbox One. I'm surprised at how many of my friends list actually got Xbox One.

Plus supply comes into play here too. If Microsoft is restocking quicker and has more units for sale, it's obviously going to end up with more sales, especially since their launch isn't as big as the PS4.

I still predict the PS4 to have more sales in NA this month, and still predict it to be leading worldwide, but it's not as big a runaway as GAF thinks. The majority of the gaming public doesn't know the difference in esram yields, whether it's 720p native upscaled to 1080p.

I think Sony did great this launch. They took a hit last gen in NA and UK, both places where they had record launches. I mean they sold 1 million consoles in 24 hours in Canada and the US alone.

PS4 is a runaway success. 2.1 million sales before Christmas is incredible. I imagine the XBO is sitting at ~1.5 million right now. I don't think those other territories that MS is missing out on will make much of a difference.

Public does know the difference between $499 & $399. Let's see how it plays out this holiday.

Prine

Banned
Love that people ask for receipts, and we then get an article about receipts. NPD will be interesting...

Shelves being stacked doesn't mean they're not selling, form reports we've read so far, MS are doing a great job a replenishing channels which Sony seem to be having trouble with (expected with how many territories thyeve launched in). But all in all, i dont think Xbox One is going to be the sales disaster angry Gaffers were hoping it would be, its in high demand and is scarce in a number of locations. Everything points to MS having a good launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom