• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update: Infoscout Black Friday analysis based on 83,000 receipts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonboy

If MS outsold PS4 in the U.S., they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Since their initial "1 million" statement, we haven't heard a thing.

It's totally possible they outsold PS4 on Black Friday (b/c there weren't any PS4 on shelves).

KoopaTheCasual

1,500 is enough to build a statistical model with a good degree of confidence and their numbers will be very close to actual sales.

Yes, it's enough to suggest that MS had a solid chance at outselling Sony, but to make it seem like 83,000 console sales were collected is extremely misleading. From the actual data, it seems like both were supply constrained on Black Friday and didn't post big numbers, compared to any other product. The sales from this single day are being ballooned out of proportion, and that's indisputable.

androvsky

1,500 is enough to build a statistical model with a good degree of confidence and their numbers will be very close to actual sales.

That works if you have a random sample, read the Time magazine article linked above. If you don't have a decent random sample it doesn't matter how many you sample, you're not going to have reliable results.

StratJ

Banned
If MS outsold PS4 in the U.S., they'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Since their initial "1 million" statement, we haven't heard a thing.

It's totally possible they outsold PS4 on Black Friday (b/c there weren't any PS4 on shelves).
You know what, I also think this but considering everything else, they really don't boast about sales that much. It's not like you heard much about 360 sales other than NPD.

I always take these surveys with a pinch of salt, especially this early on due to the stock situation.

jaypah

It is hilarious. The system has too much hype, the games are too expensive, so I will just buy the other system that costs more, and has games that cost the same price.

I honestly have a hard time believing that "consumers" as in plural, said there was too much hype. That sounds like a dude and his buddy, or a small group of friends. That is not something I would expect multiple people, from different groups, and different times of the day, in different stores, to say.

However, that doesn't mean that the Xbox One didn't sell more than the PS4 on that one day, I just dont believe that "too much hype" is the reason people weren't buying the PS4.

I also doubt that the person that said "too much hype" was the same person that said "games are too expensive". These all sound like quotes from individuals, not groups.

TheContact

Xbox ones were available and ps4s generally were not. Of course xbox will sell more on BF especially since it released later

clockpunk

You're only hurting yourself with this kind of defiant attitude - no one cares what you think of other people's opinions, buying the objectively worse and more expensive Xbone because you don't like what people are writing online seems bizarre.

The PS4 is a great system right now, it doesn't solely rely on future promise.

Your first paragraph is syntactically confusing, and makes no sense.

The draw of the XBOne, for me, is Fable, Dead Rising, Sunset Overdrive, D4... not that I wish to turn into an accursed list thread, but the game franchises that appeal to me most are on that platform. The PS4 might have greater processing potential... but the few indie games that I *really* want are only either hinted at or 'we'll announce more soon' - i.e. promised. With many refusing to admit any imperfection, blinded by love of a system, making for bad (potential) overhype. Your second paragraph proving a ripe example of this.

It doesn't help that PS4 was sold out pretty much everywhere ... and we know that's not the case with the Xbox One.

We don't know that at all. All the stuff people are posting is anecdotal. Someone saying "I saw 2 Xbox Ones on the shelf and no PS4's" or vice versa doesn't mean anything at all.

Cornbread78

Yes, it's enough to suggest that MS had a solid chance at outselling Sony, but to make it seem like 83,000 console sales were collected is extremely misleading. From the actual data, it seems like both were supply constrained on Black Friday and didn't post big numbers, compared to any other product. The sales from this single day are being ballooned out of proportion, and that's indisputable.

Seriously, this Black Friday sales thread has popped up now for the 6-7th time.

It's simple; Use the Wal-Mart I work PT at (this also represented every other local store I talked to around the holidays (yes, we do that)

We had 50+ XB1's for sale on Black Friday and only around 10 PS4's. This is the same ration all other stores we have spoken to received to sell. I'm sure that is pretty representative of most Wal0-Mart stores. There was simply greater stock of XB1's. 5:1 margain too.

Since launch, our store has only gotten those 10 PS4, and we have gotten only a couple more XB1's;

Including launch we have sold 2:1 XB1 over PS4 simply on supply alone. Neither console has sat in the store long enough to get into a game case. This again appears pretty representative of what the other stores have seen. Many more PS4's at launch, but nothing since. I believe NPD is going to be pretty surprising for some; it will be A LOT closer than people think, especially looking at a store like Wal-Mart that does a ton of marketing/retail deals with MS and gets a great deal of stock from them, Wal-Mart represents a huge portion of their target Demographic in NA, always keep that in mind, it's a mutually benficial relationship, there is a reason the XBox section is always closer to the main "action alley" of a store, so there is more visibility for customers walking by the electronics dept.

Also, the hype has been up for XB1 lately. The reviews have been pretty good since launch and everyone seems to be pretty pumped for the system, regardless of price or specs; there is a buzz at the local retail level for it and it's tangible. There has also been some PS4 bashing on it's RROD equvilant issues (I know I know) and it has a lack of games. Also people are actually pissed about having to use Music Unlimited service and no longer able to use the custom MP3, and switch apps like the XB1. This is what people keep telling me and they are valid complaints to a degree, PS4 is behind XB1 with these simple functions that consumers were initially hyped for.
Also, parents are buying which-ever system they can find right now, so their kids can have one for the holidays, which has primarily been XB1. When parents who are friends with other parents that have kids, they are trying to buy the same system so their kids can play online together, etc. Not having any follow-up stock is not helpful for Sony right now, they needed to stay on the hype train, but are not. We really need to wait for Jan/Feb. numbers to get a better idea on where the consoles are in NA; it may be much different then people are picturing it by then. Just my 3rd party take on it...

Curufinwe

Also people are actually pissed about having to use Music Unlimited service and no longer able to use the custom MP3, and switch apps like the XB1. This is what people keep telling me and they are valid complaints to a degree, PS4 is behind XB1 with these simple functions that consumers were initially hyped for.

You can quickly switch apps on the PS4 and the Xbone does not support local mp3 playback either.

Cornbread78

You can quickly switch apps on the PS4 and the Xbone does not support local mp3 playback either.

That is the problem right there; customers are confused as heck, there are no breakdown of services offered, or 1 sheets availible at the retail level, just all the fud and hearsay online; social media mis-information is strong.. Plus, people like the voice commands and TV integration the XB1 offers.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
do we really end up making a new thread on this same report every couple of days? Poor console wars... It's like yuo fire a cannon, run across the field to grab the cannon ball, load and fire it again, run over to grab it, etc..

Seriously, this Black Friday sales thread has popped up now for the 6-7th time.

It's simple; Use the Wal-Mart I work PT at (this also represented every other local store I talked to around the holidays (yes, we do that)

We had 50+ XB1's for sale on Black Friday and only around 10 PS4's. This is the same ration all other stores we have spoken to received to sell. I'm sure that is pretty representative of most Wal0-Mart stores. There was simply greater stock of XB1's. 5:1 margain too.

Since launch, our store has only gotten those 10 PS4, and we have gotten only a couple more XB1's;

Including launch we have sold 2:1 XB1 over PS4 simply on supply alone. Neither console has sat in the store long enough to get into a game case. This again appears pretty representative of what the other stores have seen. Many more PS4's at launch, but nothing since. I believe NPD is going to be pretty surprising for some; it will be A LOT closer than people think, especially looking at a store like Wal-Mart that does a ton of marketing/retail deals with MS and gets a great deal of stock from them, Wal-Mart represents a huge portion of their target Demographic in NA, always keep that in mind, it's a mutually benficial relationship, there is a reason the XBox section is always closer to the main "action alley" of a store, so there is more visibility for customers walking by the electronics dept.

Also, the hype has been up for XB1 lately. The reviews have been pretty good since launch and everyone seems to be pretty pumped for the system, regardless of price or specs; there is a buzz at the local retail level for it and it's tangible. There has also been some PS4 bashing on it's RROD equvilant issues (I know I know) and it has a lack of games. Also people are actually pissed about having to use Music Unlimited service and no longer able to use the custom MP3, and switch apps like the XB1. This is what people keep telling me and they are valid complaints to a degree, PS4 is behind XB1 with these simple functions that consumers were initially hyped for.
Also, parents are buying which-ever system they can find right now, so their kids can have one for the holidays, which has primarily been XB1. When parents who are friends with other parents that have kids, they are trying to buy the same system so their kids can play online together, etc. Not having any follow-up stock is not helpful for Sony right now, they needed to stay on the hype train, but are not. We really need to wait for Jan/Feb. numbers to get a better idea on where the consoles are in NA; it may be much different then people are picturing it by then. Just my 3rd party take on it...

Yep, like I've said in the past if both were readily available the PS4 would easily dominate, however due to more stock being available of Xbone, alot of people wanting PS4s for Christmas gifts are just going to the Xbone since it's more readily available. Once supply issues stop for the PS4 Microsoft will have something to worry about.

Yep, like I've said in the past if both were readily available the PS4 would easily dominate, however due to more stock being available of Xbone, alot of people wanting PS4s for Christmas gifts are just going to the Xbone since it's more readily available. Once supply issues stop for the PS4 Microsoft will have something to worry about.

They sent too many units to Europe.

Bsigg12

do we really end up making a new thread on this same report every couple of days? Poor console wars... It's like yuo fire a cannon, run across the field to grab the cannon ball, load and fire it again, run over to grab it, etc..

Until NPD next week, yes. People gotta have somewhere to battle out sales data!*

*even if its anecdotal or unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom