• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercutio

Man... I can't win with SCART switchers.

So I've got the ever popular Bandridge switch now. The unpowered manual switch.

It's darkening the images severely, and giving them a blue tint. My Omega manages to light up the LED, but my Saturn cannot. The Saturn's also being darkened even more, and whites are basically a mid-tone blue.

Is this normal? Am I just using this thing wrong?

Peltz

It's darkening the images severely, and giving them a blue tint. My Omega manages to light up the LED, but my Saturn cannot. The Saturn's also being darkened even more, and whites are basically a mid-tone blue.

Perhaps it is normal. I have the same switch and have pretty much come to the conclusion that it's a piece of shit.

It may be that not all Bandridge SCART switches were created equally. I have audio problems and occasional artifacts on the screen when playing via the switch when all ports are used.

However, it may be something to do with the way it interacts with the Framemeister. I'm going to try it with my CRT to see if it plays nice with that.

D.Lo

My Bandridges (I have two manual units, seller sent a replacement) have what seems like perfect video, but audio interference, buzz on white screens.

I'm basically going to rebuild it internally, using the box and some of the parts ;)

Peltz

My Bandridges (I have two manual units, seller sent a replacement) have what seems like perfect video, but audio interference, buzz on white screens.

I'm basically going to rebuild it internally, using the box and some of the parts ;)

Let us know how it goes.

D.Lo

Still waiting on some parts from eBay, should have bought them locally...

I'm trying a few different audio filters that I use in guitar circuits.

Peltz

PSA:

As of this post, it looks like retro_console_accessories removed all of her items for sale. Hopefully, she hasn't closed shop and this is some sort of mistake.

Adam Blue

Trying to solve an issue I have, I've been using a sync processor. This has brightened the image coming from my scart switch. I linked it a few pages back, but it is a cheap $9 auto non-powered switch. I'd remove other connections in realtime and see the picture change. Not with the processor though.

But YMMV, as we've seen with my SNES and XM29 Plus.

She does that whenever she's out of town for a while and can't ship anything.
She's also said something to the effect of having to shut down listings when she's overwhelmed with orders, and has to catch up. I wonder if the operation really is just her and her boyfriend. She probably makes a pretty decent dime off of this, even though it's a fairly niche thing.

She probably makes a pretty decent dime off of this, even though it's a fairly niche thing.

I hope she does. Them cables have been an amazing resource for the retro community and without her we would be stuck with the unshielded stuff from that euro site. Not only that but the prices have remained fairly fair even though it was shown that dumb people would be willing to pay way more when she put some up as an auction without a buy it now option.

Kadmac25

So I am really disappointed. I purchased a Sony PVM PVM-14N6U 14'' through ebay and it doesn't seem to be working. I know, I took a risk by buying through ebay but I couldn't find one locally in my area. Plus it was a great price with free shipping.

Anyway, the outside was slightly damaged when it arrived. Just a minor crack in the plastic. The real issue is that it powers on but displays nothing on the screen. No menu - nothing. I tried connecting my SNES via S-video through the Y/C "In" but it displays nothing.

Any ideas as to what the issue is or if it can be fixed? Going to contact the seller to see if anything can be worked out.

Peltz

So I am really disappointed. I purchased a Sony PVM PVM-14N6U 14'' through ebay and it doesn't seem to be working. I know, I took a risk by buying through ebay but I couldn't find one locally in my area. Plus it was a great price with free shipping.

Anyway, the outside was slightly damaged when it arrived. Just a minor crack in the plastic. The real issue is that it powers on but displays nothing on the screen. No menu - nothing. I tried connecting my SNES via S-video through the Y/C "In" but it displays nothing.

Any ideas as to what the issue is or if it can be fixed? Going to contact the seller to see if anything can be worked out.

If it displays no menu, I think the tube is busted. Otherwise, try to change the inputs. There's not much else you can really do unless you know an old school CRT repairman.

STG!

I don't think I've ever heard a single success story of a person getting a PVM shipped to them that didn't have a problem...

I had a 2530 shipped from Florida to New Jersey on a truck to my office, zero problems. Spending a bit on a good carrier (which cost more than the monitor did), plus having it packed up properly certainly helps. :)

dodgeme

I don't think I've ever heard a single success story of a person getting a PVM shipped to them that didn't have a problem...

Both of my Olympus monitors came from the south east up to New York with absolutely no problems. Got a 14" and a 20" both delivered through Fedex.

Kadmac25

As it turns out, the audio is working fine but still having issues with the screen. I am wondering how expensive it would be to have it repaired. Maybe I will see if I can get some quotes.

baphomet

As it turns out, the audio is working fine but still having issues with the screen. I am wondering how expensive it would be to have it repaired. Maybe I will see if I can get some quotes.

It'll cost more than the monitor is worth. Probably multiple times its worth if its the tube.

StevieWhite

Anyone ever get occasional little "ticks" in the audio when using a framemeister? Only happened once or twice. I think it's only a loose connection, but just thought I'd see what you all had to say.

Mercutio

Anyone ever get occasional little "ticks" in the audio when using a framemeister? Only happened once or twice. I think it's only a loose connection, but just thought I'd see what you all had to say.

I have not experienced that, no. What are you listening through? The TV?

Rydeen

It might not be broken, I got a PVM-1340 recently that also doesn't have a menu. Is there an analog / digital switch on the front panel? If there is, try switching that while AV or S-video is connected and see if you have a video signal.

Kadmac25

It might not be broken, I got a PVM-1340 recently that also doesn't have a menu. Is there an analog / digital switch on the front panel? If there is, try switching that while AV or S-video is connected and see if you have a video signal.

Unfortunately I've tried all the options on the front panel - still nothing. Oh well, the seller has agreed to pay for shipping with the return and I am going to get a full refund so that is nice but now I am back to square 1. No PVMs in my area. :(

I'm looking to experience 240p glory for the lesser known consoles/less necessary to own, or for handhelds without video out (Neo Geo Pocket, etc) What's the best way to do this? I mean, I imagine fanagling a PC on the PVM would be the best option for sheer accuracy with emulation, but between Wii and Xbox, is there one that provides a clear path for emulation?

dodgeme

I'm looking to experience 240p glory for the lesser known consoles/less necessary to own, or for handhelds without video out (Neo Geo Pocket, etc) What's the best way to do this? I mean, I imagine fanagling a PC on the PVM would be the best option for sheer accuracy with emulation, but between Wii and Xbox, is there one that provides a clear path for emulation?

I'm pretty sure an Xbox won't output in 240p so that would leave you with Wii of those two.

Peltz

Guys, how do you configure the XRGB mini to look good with 480i and 480p sources? The Mini is glorious at handling 240p, but I've not really liked the way it handles anything else. In fact, I'd say my HDTV's native scaler has handled 480i and 480p far better than the Mini, and it isn't really a close contest.

In fact, I'd go so far to say as the Mini makes 480i and 480p game sources look downright ugly in the modes I've tried thus far... so what am I doing wrong?

So far, I've used it with PS2 games at 480i (via both component and SCART), Dreamcast games via the Toro at 480p (via SCART), and GCN games at 480p (via component) and none of these look good.

Plugging GCN and PS2 directly into my HDTV via component for non-240p sources has looked far cleaner than any of the above.

Guys, how do you configure the XRGB mini to look good with 480i and 480p sources? The Mini is glorious at handling 240p, but I've not really liked the way it handles anything else. In fact, I'd say my HDTV's native scaler has handled 480i and 480p far better than the Mini, and it isn't really a close contest.

In fact, I'd go so far to say as the Mini makes 480i and 480p game sources look downright ugly in the modes I've tried thus far... so what am I doing wrong?

So far, I've used it with PS2 games at 480i (via both component and SCART), Dreamcast games via the Toro at 480p (via SCART), and GCN games at 480p (via component) and none of these look good.

Plugging GCN and PS2 directly into my HDTV via component for non-240p sources has looked far cleaner than any of the above.

Honestly I could not achieve good visuals myself, which is why I went the pvm route. I found it to only look good with 240p sources, but even ps1/64 had problems with the 5 second resolution blackouts. Framemeister is probably not the best solution for 480p, and although its rated highly for 480i, I didn't find my ps2 through scart to look all that great either.

Could I ask anyone which cable would be the best to get while its still in stock? I plan to get three or these for nes/snes/n64, since my former snes cable got destroyed in an accident.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201215286889?_mwBanner=1

That one says n64 surprisingly, maybe its best to get this for 64? Then there's these other 2. I have no idea what my older one was by the way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-stereo-RGB-SCART-lead-FULLY-SHIELDED-GROUNDED-cable-cord-US-SNES-/201216661671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed97298a7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-stereo-RGB-SCART-lead-SNES-CSYNC-FULL-SHIELD-GROUNDED-cable-/161485485812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259948f6f4

My snes is an rgb modded mini, and the nes has a playchoice ppu if it helps.

Peltz

Honestly I could not achieve good visuals myself, which is why I went the pvm route. I found it to only look good with 240p sources, but even ps1/64 had problems with the 5 second resolution blackouts. Framemeister is probably not the best solution for 480p, and although its rated highly for 480i, I didn't find my ps2 through scart to look all that great either.

Could I ask anyone which cable would be the best to get while its still in stock? I plan to get three or these for nes/snes/n64, since my former snes cable got destroyed in an accident.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201215286889?_mwBanner=1

That one says n64 surprisingly, maybe its best to get this for 64? Then there's these other 2. I have no idea what my older one was by the way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-stereo-RGB-SCART-lead-FULLY-SHIELDED-GROUNDED-cable-cord-US-SNES-/201216661671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed97298a7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-stereo-RGB-SCART-lead-SNES-CSYNC-FULL-SHIELD-GROUNDED-cable-/161485485812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259948f6f4

My snes is an rgb modded mini, and the nes has a playchoice ppu if it helps.

Hmmm... I have an OG SNES, and N64 + RGB mod, and this cable has been perfect for both:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed97298a7

If you have any issues, she will definitely do an exchange to get you the proper cable if you're having any sync issues.

But you should really ask your modders which cable to use because they're probably the only people who would know for sure. From what I understand, especially regarding the N64 RGB mod, different modders do different things regarding the sync.

P.S. Thanks for your thoughts on the XRGB Mini. It seems we share the same opinion about it. At this point, I don't really think the XRGB Mini was worth it given all its imperfections. It's good, but not $350 good. $199 sounds like a more fair price for what it does. I'm still hopeful that I'm somehow using it with the wrong settings with 480i and 480p sources.

Hmmm... I have an OG SNES, and N64 + RGB mod, and this cable has been perfect for both:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed97298a7

If you have any issues, she will definitely do an exchange to get you the proper cable if you're having any sync issues.

But you should really ask your modders which cable to use because they're probably the only people who would know for sure. From what I understand, especially regarding the N64 RGB mod, different modders do different things regarding the sync.

P.S. Thanks for your thoughts on the XRGB Mini. It seems we share the same opinion about it. At this point, I don't really think the XRGB Mini was worth it given all its imperfections. It's good, but not $350 good. $199 sounds like a more fair price for what it does. I'm still hopeful that I'm somehow using it with the wrong settings with 480i and 480p sources.

Thanks for your input on the cable, I'll try and ask my modders as well about what's best. On the topic of the frame, I had to do so many tricks to get my GameCube Gameboy player through component to look great, and that was a troublesome process. I posted a few pics many pages back actually, but with my pvm I am anxious to see what quality GameCube component with the gbp will produce.

I found that generally 480p will look less washed out if you set the frame to smart X1 and zoom in with your tv settings. In my experience at least, and I was not very pleased. The frame I find is good just for pre ps1 gen, except sidescrollers on ps1/Saturn I guess.

Peltz

Thanks for your input on the cable, I'll try and ask my modders as well about what's best. On the topic of the frame, I had to do so many tricks to get my GameCube Gameboy player through component to look great, and that was a troublesome process. I posted a few pics many pages back actually, but with my pvm I am anxious to see what quality GameCube component with the gbp will produce.

I found that generally 480p will look less washed out if you set the frame to smart X1 and zoom in with your tv settings. In my experience at least, and I was not very pleased. The frame I find is good just for pre ps1 gen, except sidescrollers on ps1/Saturn I guess.

Eh... that's really disappointing but not surprising to hear given my Framemeister-frustration. I'm actually happy with the PS1 output (even with fully polygonal PS1 games - they look gorgeous on the mini), but am totally puzzled by the really ugly and muddy way the Mini handles the N64... it's a real contrast to the comparatively clean look of my PVM with the same cable. It just looks different from how N64 games look on a real CRT in a very bad way.

The device truly isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. In my mind, it makes 70% of pre-HD-era games look decent and is a real detriment to the other 30%. And it 100% of the time never beats out a real CRT.

In hindsight I would have much rather put money towards a 480p studio monitor in top condition than have wasted money on the scaler which leaves some of my collection look inexplicably hideous.

Borman

Eh... that's really disappointing but not surprising to hear given my Framemeister-frustration. I'm actually happy with the PS1 output (even with fully polygonal PS1 games - they look gorgeous on the mini), but am totally puzzled by the really ugly and muddy way the Mini handles the N64... it's a real contrast to the comparatively clean look of my PVM with the same cable.

The device truly isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. In hindsight I would have much rather put money towards a 480p studio monitor in top condition than have wasted money on the scaler which leaves some of my collection look inexplicably hideous.

The n64's output just isn't sharp at all for many games. Some things look better than others, but even using RGB capturing it can be hit or miss at times.

Mercutio

I actually really like the way my XRGB Mini handles my N64; it's fairly crisp and the pixels are quite sharp. I don't think that the pixelation lends itself to 3D well, but for 2D games (what few there are) it's quite good. The RGB quality seems to be better than my SNES, honestly.

Peltz

I actually really like the way my XRGB Mini handles my N64; it's fairly crisp and the pixels are quite sharp. I don't think that the pixelation lends itself to 3D well, but for 2D games (what few there are) it's quite good. The RGB quality seems to be better than my SNES, honestly.

Do you play your N64 with scanlines on the mini? How do you have it set up?

Do you play your N64 with scanlines on the mini? How do you have it set up?

The PS1 output does look great but I just wasn't pleased with how unplayable a few games were (I.e silent hill). Also, 64 looks like complete shit as well but can be fixed with scanlines, although I wouldn't if I were you interpret that as a gimmick. I always thought no scanlines was better but the truth is a lot of 240p games look more blurry without them, almost as if it was built with scanlines in mind. I think 64 is a great example for that.

Peltz

The PS1 output does look great but I just wasn't pleased with how unplayable a few games were (I.e silent hill). Also, 64 looks like complete shit as well but can be fixed with scanlines, although I wouldn't if I were you interpret that as a gimmick. I always thought no scanlines was better but the truth is a lot of 240p games look more blurry without them, almost as if it was built with scanlines in mind. I think 64 is a great example for that.

I don't even like N64 games with scanlines on the XRGB Mini even though I use the lines for every other 240p game/system.

BTails

I use S-Video into my XRGB for N64, and while it looks way better than I've seen my 64 look before, it's still a smeary, blurry mess on most games. I like a lot of games for the systen, but I've always thought the graphics were pretty bland.

Peltz

I use S-Video into my XRGB for N64, and while it looks way better than I've seen my 64 look before, it's still a smeary, blurry mess on most games. I like a lot of games for the systen, but I've always thought the graphics were pretty bland.

They look way better on a decent CRT in my opinion.. The scaler does it no favors.

Peagles

^ I haven't used a Framemeister or seen one in person, but all the shots I've seen here do seem much worse looking than on my PVM.

Edit: I should clarify, specifically in regards to the N64.

Peltz

^ I haven't used a Framemeister or seen one in person, but all the shots I've seen here do seem much worse looking than on my PVM.

To be fair, if you're stuck to playing 240p on an HDTV then you really do need an upscaler for old games. For some people, space is really an issue.

And I find that a few games here or there really do look nicer on the Framemeister than on a CRT (Soul Blade on PS1 perhaps being the most notable.... it looks outstanding on it).

But even still, in my small NYC apartment, I'd rather be playing on my tiny 14" studio monitor at a desk than a 42" HDTV at my couch with the Framemeister at this point. There's no lag, no handshake, and no configuration/tweaking to make the image look nice. It just looks and plays perfect 100% of the time.

Peagles

To be fair, if you're stuck to playing 240p on an HDTV then you really do need an upscaler for old games. For some people, space is really an issue.

And I find that a few games here or there really do look nicer on the Framemeister than on a CRT (Soul Blade on PS1 perhaps being the most notable.... it looks outstanding on it).

But even still, in my small NYC apartment, I'd rather be playing on my tiny 14" studio monitor at a desk than a 42" HDTV at my couch with the Framemeister at this point. There's no lag, no handshake, and no configuration/tweaking to make the image look nice. It just looks and plays perfect 100% of the time.

Same same. *hugs little PVM*

SegaShack

My bandridge has great picture quality and audio quality, no issues whatsoever.

Gunsmithx

Same same. *hugs little PVM*

*wishes he had a pvm to hug* makes want to go look at the 20' for 200 agian...

Hmm... this makes me want to see if my n64 looks very different on my crt compared to Irish's mini, I think this weekend is experiment and beer time!

Khaz

Meh, I was about to buy for about $180 of cables from retro_console_accessories, but she's short of coax-shielded cables. I guess my bank account will be thankful at least. (Four cables, damn expensive.)

Madao

i find that the Smart 2x filter paired with 1080p output is nice for 480p GC games. the Metroid Primes look pretty good this way.

N64 is a lost cause. even the above combo doesn't do much for most games. for me it is all about avoiding the massive input lag i'd get if i plugged the console directly to the TV (i have space issues so a CRT is completely out of the question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom