• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
45e7f55251791e213f0f6a706700c0f0.jpg

I pity the people that had to carry and move all of those. One section looks all perfectly stacked meaning someone was there doing it by hand, not just dropped off the back of a truck.

Ocaso

Hey all. I took the plunge on a Framemeister and had a few questions. Is there an English translated manual anywhere? I specifically want to know how to update the firmware without a micro SD card. I simply don't have one available and I've read that it's possible to do via USB as well. Any help is appreciated.

Khaz

I hope I'll find a nice, big widescreen HD CRT with component some day. These beasts are elusive in my country (if they were ever sold at retail here).

D.Lo

Hey all. I took the plunge on a Framemeister and had a few questions. Is there an English translated manual anywhere? I specifically want to know how to update the firmware without a micro SD card. I simply don't have one available and I've read that it's possible to do via USB as well. Any help is appreciated.
it will almost certainly come with the latest firmware. Afaik firmware hasn't changed in years now.

Ocaso

it will almost certainly come with the latest firmware. Afaik firmware hasn't changed in years now.
Any way to check the firmware version from the menu?

Edit: Never mind, just checked. It's at 1.08. Current is 1.11. Not sure how much I'm missing by staying at 1.08, but it looks nice as is.

baphomet

Got any pics/videos of your setup? Is it a lot of tate/shmup stuff? I don't remember if I've ever seen it.

I don't even have most of them hooked up. They're just for backup until I bother to finish my garage. I have 1 for Tate and 1 for normal stuff hooked up. Both 20''.

Peltz

I don't even have most of them hooked up. They're just for backup until I bother to finish my garage. I have 1 for Tate and 1 for normal stuff hooked up. Both 20''.

Sounds like a perfect setup.

BTW, I'm really sorry to ask this, but if you happen to own a capture device, could you someday upload some 480p footage of Metal Slug 6 with sound directly from your Atomiswave hardware? I don't mean to be a bother, but I'd really love to see a direct capture of that game from original hardware. If not, no worries! I would not be able to fulfill this request myself if someone else wanted native footage from my games.

But it'd be cool just to see and hear the first level of that game in action from a real Atomiswave.

SOME-MIST

Lol, 6 is good for now. Unless I come across a brand new bvm or xm 29, my collection is done.

I just found an xm29 in my area, but since I already own one and have no room for it.... I haven't been jumping on it yet.

kinda crazy.. I know I'm going to regret it.

baphomet

Sounds like a perfect setup.

BTW, I'm really sorry to ask this, but if you happen to own a capture device, could you someday upload some 480p footage of Metal Slug 6 with sound directly from your Atomiswave hardware? I don't mean to be a bother, but I'd really love to see a direct capture of that game from original hardware. If not, no worries! I would not be able to fulfill this request myself if someone else wanted native footage from my games.

But it'd be cool just to see and hear the first level of that game in action from a real Atomiswave.

Yea I can do it when I get off work today. Normally I run everything through my xrgb mini and upscale it, but it you want a native 480p capture I can do that as well.

Peltz

Yea I can do it when I get off work today. Normally I run everything through my xrgb mini and upscale it, but it you want a native 480p capture I can do that as well.

Thanks! I'd prefer native if it's not too much trouble. Either way though, I'll be a happy camper.

Seriously, thank you.

Hi guys.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before but there are now a lot of pages in this thread to catch up with.

I have about 15 consoles wired up to one CRT TV via a single scart socket which in turn is fed by 4 scart switches attached to one final scart switch. This is all on a PAL TV (I'm from the UK) using PAL consoles. Some consoles have been RGB modded (including 60Hz RGB output), some are just composite and some might even be S-Video. Regardless, they all arrive at my TV using a scart socket and all display just fine (or as well as a standard Sony Trinitron CRT will display them).

I now have the opportunity to attach them all into a 50" plasma in a dedicated retro gaming room which, on paper, sounds great. However, I know that hooking up old consoles to a modern TV looks terrible so I was wondering if I should buy an RGB Mini Framemeister along with a PAL scart connection cable for it.

But... and this is where I need your help... I don't think I can just plug my scart switcher into the RGB Mini and expect it to just output whatever its fed into the plasma. Is it true that it will only accept RGB consoles/computers? What about a NES that is composite only? Is there any way I can get all the various consoles wired up and looking good on the plasma if the RGB Mini isn't going to do what I need?

Thanks guys...

I think your best option would be to buy a SCART to HDMI converter, so you can attach the single scart socket to the converter, which will in turn be connected to your TV.

The Gamerade SCART to HDMI converter seems pretty good, here's a review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS55pmLIEjA

Khaz

Damn I can't find the rebuttal video with the guy hating on the input lag with Mega Man.

Yes, this stuff is bad.

Khaz

On the subject of recording and capturing, I've just received my Bandridge and learnt about its recording function. You can plug a recorder on AV5 and record what's coming from AV1-4. Or even record one AV while displaying another. Have you guys tried it?

Yeah, input lag is a possible issue you need to consider. However, a SCART to HDMI converter should allow you to retain the full RGB signal, while using a device with only composite or S-video input would not allow you to take advantage of the RGB output of the console.

I just found an xm29 in my area, but since I already own one and have no room for it.... I haven't been jumping on it yet.

kinda crazy.. I know I'm going to regret it.

You wouldn't happen to live in the northern VA area, and would like to pass that info around, would you?
not a chance

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
so how is the Retron 2 nowadays?

I want to buy one for my brother for christmas, but I want to make sure its a good buy at $50. He wanted an SNES originally, but finding one in decent condition for less than $80 is tough.

hdmyboy

Neo Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507669971/hdmyboy-a-full-hd-power-up-for-your-game-boy-class

They even manage proper non-integer scaling!

Only problem, is that it seems like it's really counter intuitive to choose to do this on the original gameboy. And not the gameboy color. For one, there is already enough demand for the DMG in the chiptune scene that drives up prices and sacrifices original units to extreme modification.

AND doesn't give you ability to play GBC games and GBConly games in their intended modes.

Some updates from hdmyboy - full hd for you DMG-01 game boy: http://kck.st/1vOyM1u
Tomorrow will probably be the first time a DMG-01 ever live streams to the internet. As we will be on the channel of GaminGuys on twitch.tv. Hopefully we can show you the full 1080P60 :)

Here's an off screen recording we did earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz7JZ2fzFb4

The campaign is going ok as we are currently at 33% funded with two more weeks to go. And looking at our figures we think we could make it if we got a bit more coverage in North America and Asia, as currently most of our backers are from Europe.

We are especially having trouble getting on to more gadgety sites like Gizmodo, or Kotaku so if you would have any contacts, that would be great.

televator

I think your best option would be to buy a SCART to HDMI converter, so you can attach the single scart socket to the converter, which will in turn be connected to your TV.

The Gamerade SCART to HDMI converter seems pretty good, here's a review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS55pmLIEjA

Nooooooooope. Stay away from that thing! It has very crappy scaling on scrolling images which leads to a smeared look. It's probably worse than most people's TV's internal scaler. The point of extracting RGB from a console is to get a sharp picture with clean edges and clear color separation. This scaler is literally defeating the purpose of RGB in moving images.

Peltz

http://youtu.be/b7YV2dIaZsY

Keep in mind it looks much worse thank in person thanks to youtube. It's actually super clean.

Edit- apparently mixed 2 sentences into one. Looks better in person thanks to YouTube's compression.

Wow, Anthology port has nothing on this. The sound is so much better on real hardware. Thanks again! Hearing and seeing this answered a lot of mental hangups I had about the Anothology port's quality (or rather, lack thereof).

It makes me feel a bit better about MS6 because I previously thought SNK Playmore screwed the pooch when switching to Atomiswave hardware... especially with regard to sound quality. This video is a very valuable reference for me because it proves otherwise.

P.S., when in the Slug, if you shift the arcade stick down, you have access to your hand grenades when pressing the bomb button. It helps take down bosses quickly and save slugs. It works in every MS game afaik, but I haven't tried the NGPC games. You can spam them far faster than using the Slug's main cannon,and it's the fastest way to dish out damage with the slug other than bailing and ramming it into the boss.

Otherwise, as the announcer said: "You're great!"

Huggers

Hi guys. Could someone help? Trying to get a Sony BVM working but having a little trouble. I'm not getting the input right on the back I don't think. The cable I have has scart going to 2 audio red and whites and 4 BNC cables of different colours. Could someone run me through what goes to what ins and outs etc. Many thanks

Bancho

Hi guys. Could someone help? Trying to get a Sony BVM working but having a little trouble. I'm not getting the input right on the back I don't think. The cable I have has scart going to 2 audio red and whites and 4 BNC cables of different colours. Could someone run me through what goes to what ins and outs etc. Many thanks

Post a pic mate so we can see how you got it set up?

STG!

Hey Hugger's, click this link and scroll down to Arasoi's post, it should look similar to his:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43256&start=2040

You just need to plug the BNC connectors to each input on the Analog card on the back of it. Also, you should plug in some 75ohm BNC terminator's (can find for cheap on eBay) to each output on the Analog board like Arasoi did in the link above, otherwise you'll have a much brighter image. It will still work without them, but it's recommended.

After that, you'll have to go into the Menu and change the input configuration to accept RGB and sync mode to External.

STG!

Here it is

I'm wondering whether BNC blockers on the outs are more important than I thought. I swear i read somewhere they were

Looks good to me too, hmm, strange. While it's recommended in the manual to use 75 ohm terminals (and you should get some), you should still get a picture, even though it's going to be a bright one and set off the over load light on the front of the display.

baphomet

For real? Are they known for shoddy cables?

Just from what I've seen in this thread. I believe that's where my scart to BNC cable may have come from, but that's been a few years back now.

What are you trying to plug into the cable? Whatever it is will have to also have power running through it to power the sync stripper built into that cable.

Huggers

Just from what I've seen in this thread. I believe that's where my scart to BNC cable may have come from, but that's been a few years back now.

What are you trying to plug into the cable? Whatever it is will have to also have power running through it to power the sync stripper built into that cable.

AH. I think this could be my issue. I'm just trying a Wii at the moment with red/white/yellow into a scart adapter

baphomet

AH. I think this could be my issue. I'm just trying a Wii at the moment with red/white/yellow into a scart adapter

Yea those adapters aren't going to work with you bvm. You should just get some rca to BNC connectors if you're trying to use standard composite.

That's scart to bnc will only work with scart cables.

Huggers

Yea those adapters aren't going to work with you bvm. You should just get some rca to BNC connectors if you're trying to use standard composite.

That's scart to bnc will only work with scart cables.

Being the massive technophobe I am I assumed that those adapters turned a composite signal into a scart one. So I really need to get proper scart for all my consoles?

baphomet

Being the massive technophobe I am I assumed that those adapters turned a composite signal into a scart one. So I really need to get proper scart for all my consoles?

Exactly, otherwise there would be no point in using scart or getting an rgb monitor. Composite will still look bad no matter what.

Huggers

Exactly, otherwise there would be no point in using scart or getting an rgb monitor. Composite will still look bad no matter what.

I just plugged in my Mega Drive which has a scart lead and still nothing. Except a flickering green image when I plug the yellow cable into the green input. So confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom