• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainpann

Can the picture quality really differ between different RGB cables? Are there some comparisons screens somewhere if there are indeed differences?

I remember I had to buy a very expensive modded RGB cable for my japanese gamecube back when it was released, it would be interesting to see how it works.

Yeah, they really can. The issue I always run into with crappy cables is poor shielding and wiring. This typically translates to noise and minor artifacts in the image but can also result in a low hum in the audio lines. Its worth it just to pick up good cables from the start.

Timu

Should I get a Inline 1222, Inline 1422, DVDO iScan Plus v2 or DVDO MM602 iScan HD+ for 240p svideo to vga conversion?

antibolo

Banned
Can the picture quality really differ between different RGB cables? Are there some comparisons screens somewhere if there are indeed differences?

I remember I had to buy a very expensive modded RGB cable for my japanese gamecube back when it was released, it would be interesting to see how it works.

There are many different analog signals going through a SCART cable (at least 6 for RGB, sync and stereo audio). Improper shielding and wiring can and will create crosstalk.

That's the big drawback of SCART imo. A single cable for everything sounds great on paper, but packing so many analog signals together is a recipe for trouble. It's probably the main reason why component video went for separate RCA cables, it avoids that issue.

Ramune

Cheap Play-Asia PlayStation RGB cable:

DSC_0035.PNG

RGB cable from retro_console_accessories:

Jinroh

Thanks for the replies! The picture quality on your fist image is terrible, isn't the cable defective? There's barely any white.

Also:

Just buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Ninte...620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259d05bfb4

Then buy a Euro SCART to XRGB Mini 8pin adapter. I'd link you to it because the same seller offers this adapter... but she's currently out of stock. Just hang tight. She's good about replenishing her sold out items.
There's still one thing I don't understand. The cable you advise me to buy is obviously for a NTSC console (I don't know if it matters), but then why wouldn't I use the Framemeister adapter with it? Why buying a Euro SCART to XRGB Mini 8pin adapter? It's not a euro cable :S

edit: Actually the description says: SNES SCART Do not use on XRGB scalers without converter. Is the converter she's talking about the Euro SCART to XRGB Mini 8pin adapter? For a US cable?

edit2:

Also, which would is better?

"Super Nintendo stereo RGB SCART lead FULLY SHIELDED+GROUNDED cable cord US SNES"
or
"Super Nintendo SNES/RGB N64 sync-on-luma RGB SCART lead SHIELDED+GROUNDED cable"?

What's the real difference with the sync-on-luma? They are exactly the same price, wouldn't the second cable always be the best alternative?

baphomet

Youre concerned about the region of the console and not the wiring of the cable. The adapter with the framemeister I'd for jp21 pin rgb, not scart.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Actually the description says: SNES SCART Do not use on XRGB scalers without converter. Is the converter she's talking about the Euro SCART to XRGB Mini 8pin adapter? For a US cable?
I think you're confused because this warning is primarily for older XRGB units. Old XRGBs have a 21-pin connector on the unit itself. The XRGB-mini has an 8-pin RGB port and comes with a JP21-to-XRGB-mini adapter.

On old XRGBs, you either use JP21 cables directly or you use a SCART-to-JP21 converter.
On the XRGB-mini, you either use the included adapter for JP21 cables or buy an alternative adapter for SCART cables.

The only difference between JP21 and SCART is the order of the pins on the connector. They carry the exact same information. Either of them can be used for 60hz or 50hz sources; NTSC/PAL differences don't matter here.

The SNES-specific concerns are due to regional differences inside the console itself. I believe that PAL SNESes have either extra capacitors or resistors (I forget which) on the RGB lines inside the console, so official SCART cables for PAL SNESes don't have these components inside of the cables. For NTSC SNESes, these components must be added into the SCART/JP21 cables in order for them to work with NTSC systems. That's why there are warnings on the eBay pages to make sure that you buy the correct cables for the correct region console; NTSC SNES cables have more stuff inside of them, no matter whether they're SCART or JP21 cables.

Jinroh

Ok, so if I understand correctly, I'm never gonna use this with a scart rbg cable?

IMG_20150210_105705.jpg

Instead I should buy a Euro SCART to XRGB Mini 8pin adapter?

Also, it would be for my super famicom. I read the difference with the pal version is that the signal is synced in some way. But what if I also want to use a RGB modded PAL N64 and/or my PAL SNES?

Should I go with a luma cable? Or is it not necessary?

edit: Or maybe I can just buy a normal cable and use instead a "European SCART to Framemeister XRGB Mini Converter adapter with built in LM1881N sync stripper"?

edit2: Thanks Sixfortyfive for the reply. So I can use cable for NTSC systems on PAL consoles as well even if it's redundant? It won't cause any issues?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ok, so if I understand correctly, I'm never gonna use this with a scart rbg cable?

http://s29.postimg.org/a6z4gedmf/IMG_20150210_105705.jpg

Instead I should buy a Euro SCART to XRGB Mini 8pin adapter?
If you already have SCART cables, then yes, you want to replace that adapter with one that is configured for SCART cables.

If you haven't gotten any RGB cables yet, then it's up to you whether you want to start buying SCART or JP21.

Should I go with a luma cable? Or is it not necessary?
Depending on what console you have, you have up to 3 choices of sync. Generally, the best to worst options are:

1) composite sync (aka "clean sync" or "CSYNC")
2) sync-on-luma (only available on consoles with S-Video or component video support)
3) sync-on-composite-video (almost always available; I think the Dreamcast is the only console where it isn't)

Most, but not all, RGB-capable NTSC SNESes have CSYNC on their AV ports. Original style SNESes removed CSYNC late in its production run, and the redesigned SNES mini doesn't have RGB or S-video output at all. I don't think CSYNC is available on any PAL SNES, but I'm not 100% certain.

edit: Or maybe I can just buy a normal cable and use instead a "European SCART to Framemeister XRGB Mini Converter adapter with built in LM1881N sync stripper"?
I would not use a built-in sync stripper unless you know that you need one. They can complicate your setup and cause more problems than they solve if the cables aren't wired up correctly.

edit2: Thanks Sixfortyfive for the reply. So I can use cable for NTSC systems on PAL consoles as well even if it's redundant? It won't cause any issues?
I can't say for sure what will or will not work on PAL equipment. Best to ask someone who uses PAL.

Peagles

The PAL SNES is the odd one out cable-wise. The NTSC RGB cable for SNES/SFC will work on PAL Gamecubes and I believe PAL RGB-modded N64s. If you use it on a PAL SNES the picture just fades to black and never returns. I have one separate cable which I keep just for my PAL SNES.

Jinroh

Thanks for your reply guys. Ok so I'll keep my old RGB cable for my PAL SNES.

1) composite sync (aka "clean sync" or "CSYNC")
2) sync-on-luma (only available on consoles with S-Video or component video support)
3) sync-on-composite-video (almost always available; I think the Dreamcast is the only console where it isn't)

Most, but not all, RGB-capable NTSC SNESes have CSYNC on their AV ports.

But what happens if I use a sync-on-luma cable with a SNES? Will it cause conflicts of some kind? Or should I go with a standard cable and it wouldn't make any difference in picture quality? Do the NTSC gamecube and PAL N64 also have CSYNC on their AV ports?

Peltz

645 did a better job than I ever could have when summarizing. But I just want to add, you should probably go with SCART over JP21 format if you want to get a switchbox. JP21 switchboxes are virtually non existent.

I learned this the hard way.

So, this seemed like the best thread to post this in. After getting tired of searching for one, I am thinking of making my own SCART switch. Just something functional, not too fancy like the gscartsw. As far as basic features go:

-8 SCART inputs, 1 SCART out
-Auto-switching with manual override
-L/R audio out.
-Daisy-chainable

Assuming there is no discernable signal degradation, which is the goal, would anyone here be interested in buying such a switch? Are there other potentially important features I should include? I think I could offer something like this at a really good price, but I need to gauge interest first and finalize a feature list before I am able to nail down a price point.

I don't want to derail the thread, so just shoot me a PM if you're interested or have any input.

Kawika

I found a guy who is selling a PVM 14L5 (he also has a 20L5 too). I primarily want to use it for wii (gamecube too) and PS2 ( PS1 too). The guy has a HD-SDI card for it. I thought it might be okay to hook up my Wii U when I want to play Virtual Console with scan lines. Is this beyond the capabilities of either the Wii U or the PVM_14L5?

I just don't see myself buying scart adapters and all that mess and rebuying a lot of my old consoles or modding the ones I have left to use it.

I really would appreciate any expertise you guys can offer before I pull the trigger on this.

Thanks

Peagles

I found a guy who is selling a PVM 14L5 (he also has a 20L5 too). I primarily want to use it for wii (gamecube too) and PS2 ( PS1 too). The guy has a HD-SDI card for it. I thought it might be okay to hook up my Wii U when I want to play Virtual Console with scan lines. Is this beyond the capabilities of either the Wii U or the PVM_14L5?

I just don't see myself buying scart adapters and all that mess and rebuying a lot of my old consoles or modding the ones I have left to use it.

I really would appreciate any expertise you guys can offer before I pull the trigger on this.

Thanks

I don't think the Wii U can do 240p, you'd be better off using a Wii for that if you have one.

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at a 20" SONY PVM TRINITRON MONITOR L2. Anyone have any experience of / opinions on this? The specs are as follows:
The PVM20L2 Color Video Monitor features a 600 TVL Trinitron® CRT with P22 phosphors to provide clear and precise images.

The PVM20L2 is equipped with input connectors for analog component (Y/R-Y/B-Y), RGB, Y/C and composite signals.

The slot-in structure in the rear panel allows an optional input card for SDI, SDTI-CP, or additional analog inputs.

The monitor incorporates conventional operational functions such as 4:3/16:9 switching capability, Blue Only Mode, switchable color temperature (D65, D93, user); Underscan and Auto/Manual degaussing. The window-type on screen menus allow for easy monitor adjustment and operation and is available in six languages.

Features:

High Picture Quality Utilizes Trinitron® CRT with 600 TVL resolution to ensure clear and precise images .
Option Slot Structure One double wide option slot provides for simple and flexible configurations using option cards from PVM L5 and BVM D series monitors.
Versatile Analog Inputs Equipped with input connectors for analog component (Y/R-Y/B-Y), RGB, Y/C and composite signals.
NTSC/PAL Operation Automatically detects whether the compostie signal input is NTSC or PAL.
Digital Comb Filter Ensures clear and highly detailed images.
Professional Operational Functions Includes 4:3/16:9 switching capability; Blue Only mode; Underscan; switchable color temperature (D65, D93, user); Auto/Manual degaussing.
Beam-Current Feedback Circuit Corrects white balance drift.
On Screen Display Window-type OSD makes monitor adjustment and operation easy. Available in six languages.
Remote Control/Tally Parallel remote control and tally can be operated via a modular 8-pin connector.

Specifications:

CRT Size - CRT - 20" (19" Viewable area, measured diagonally)
Resolution - CRT - 600 TV Lines
Phosphor - CRT - P-22
AG Pitch - CRT - .4 mm
Color System - CRT - NTSC/PAL
Aperture Correction - CRT - 0 to 6dB
Frequency Response - CRT - 10.0 MHz (+0dB -3dB)
Color Temperature - CRT - D65, D93, User
Power Requirements - CRT - AC 100 to 240V, 50/60 Hz
Power Consumption - CRT - 98W (with BKM150CP 108W)
Dimensions W x H x D - CRT - 17.8" x 18.2" x 20.8"
Weight - CRT - 72 lbs
Operating Temperature - CRT - 0 to 35° C
Storage Temperature - CRT -10 to 40° C
Operating Humidity - CRT - 35 to 85%
Storage Humidity - CRT - 0 to 90%
I plan to mainly use it with my Wii / GC+ GB Player. Perhaps also to get a SNES someday. I don't seem to see any scart sockets in the back of the picture. Do scart cables not connect to these machines?

Thanks.

Peltz

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at a 20" SONY PVM TRINITRON MONITOR L2. Anyone have any experience of / opinions on this? The specs are as follows:I plan to mainly use it with my Wii / GC+ GB Player. Perhaps also to get a SNES someday. I don't seem to see any scart sockets in the back of the picture. Do scart cables not connect to these machines?

Thanks.

You'll have to convert SCART to BNC which is the case for most of the PVMs people are using.

You'll have to convert SCART to BNC which is the case for most of the PVMs people are using.
Thanks. Is it just an adaptor or you have to mess with the scary cable itself? I bought the RGB (I think) scary cable off a seller on eBay via a recommendation from Peagles, for my GameCube.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I'm planning to pick up an m4u tomorrow. What do I need to hook up my consoles besides their respective RGB scart cables?

I'm planning to pick up an m4u tomorrow. What do I need to hook up my consoles besides their respective RGB scart cables?

A scart to bnc adapter. Also a scart switch is nice if you don't want to have to unplug and plug in a different cable every time you switch systems.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
A scart to bnc adapter. Also a scart switch is nice if you don't want to have to unplug and plug in a different cable every time you switch systems.

Is there one that is better than others or will any do fine? And I'll definitely get a scart switch, thanks.

Is there one that is better than others or will any do fine? And I'll definitely get a scart switch, thanks.

I have a couple of them. There are reports that this one sold by retro gaming cables isn't of the best quality, but back when I was buying cables it was the only place that wasn't some guy on a forum that I wasn't a member of that sold them so I have one of them. I wouldn't recommend their console cables though way since retro_console_accessories on ebay makes much better ones. Her stock comes and goes so it can be hard to get all the cables you want in one shipment/know if there is a better cable that she makes that she just is out of stock of. Another scart to bnc option is from this seller. I have one of his as well and do like the build quality more then the regrogamingcables.com one so that may be the better bet for you.

Avoid cables that are marked as jp21/rgb21 as they aren't scart even though they look the same. Some consoles are wired different depending on the region so make sure to get cables that are meant for whatever region your console is from if there are multiple options. Think that's about it. The most recommended scart selector was a non powered Bandridge unit, but I cannot find the listing for it right now, someone else may be able to help you on that. You have to cut a lead on it to make it work properly with its 5th connection I hear though. Anyway, enjoy.

Speedwagon

Hey guys there's another m4u in my area that says for parts, but it just has 3 rgb lines near the top which is the only issues listed. I should be able to fix this in service mode, right? Should I pick it up for $25?

xICMEjQ.jpg

I have a couple of them. There are reports that this one sold by retro gaming cables isn't of the best quality, but back when I was buying cables it was the only place that wasn't some guy on a forum that I wasn't a member of that sold them so I have one of them. I wouldn't recommend their console cables though way since retro_console_accessories on ebay makes much better ones. Her stock comes and goes so it can be hard to get all the cables you want in one shipment/know if there is a better cable that she makes that she just is out of stock of. Another scart to bnc option is from this seller. I have one of his as well and do like the build quality more then the regrogamingcables.com one so that may be the better bet for you.

Avoid cables that are marked as jp21/rgb21 as they aren't scart even though they look the same. Some consoles are wired different depending on the region so make sure to get cables that are meant for whatever region your console is from if there are multiple options. Think that's about it. The most recommended scart selector was a non powered Bandridge unit, but I cannot find the listing for it right now, someone else may be able to help you on that. You have to cut a lead on it to make it work properly with its 5th connection I hear though. Anyway, enjoy.

Thanks a lot.

Speedwagon

Eww, I just checked my $1 PVM and it has the lines too.

Have you tried the solution on the last page?
I just had to go into service mode and adjust the v. blanking. I used this guide.

Worked like a charm!
Again, Im blown away by how much better it looks via s-video than my other crt. I will promptly be ordering a scart to bnc adapter. Its going to interesting comparing it to my XRGB.

Bog

Junior Ace
My Framemeister still likes to give me intermittent, horizontal "static" lines, as well as simply dropping the picture occasionally when the scene changes. Sometimes the picture drops right in the middle of playing causing me to rush to hit pause. Is this some setting I can fix or is it an issue with the Framemeister itself? It happens regardless of console or input type.

antibolo

Banned
Hey guys there's another m4u in my area that says for parts, but it just has 3 rgb lines near the top which is the only issues listed. I should be able to fix this in service mode, right? Should I pick it up for $25?

xICMEjQ.jpg

Try the tweak before buying it, just to be sure. Mine was not as bad, but it's probably still salvageable. For $25 this is definitely worth it.

Ban Puncher

My Framemeister still likes to give me intermittent, horizontal "static" lines, as well as simply dropping the picture occasionally when the scene changes. Sometimes the picture drops right in the middle of playing causing me to rush to hit pause. Is this some setting I can fix or is it an issue with the Framemeister itself? It happens regardless of console or input type.

Update to latest firmware. If that doesn't fix the problem, go to Menu -> Visual Set -> Sync Level and play with the number. I have mine set on 18 most of the time but I have to adjust it when I use my Neo Geo AES otherwise I get occasional signal desync and screen flicker.

Try the tweak before buying it, just to be sure. Mine was not as bad, but it's probably still salvageable. For $25 this is definitely worth it.
I'm not the person you quoted, but the tweak worked for me. Is the lines issue a sign of age or trouble with the set, and this is just a workaround? Or this doesn't mean there's a problem?

antibolo

Banned
Ahhh, I see, I see. Hopefully the problem doesn't get worse? That's a shame to hear it's a capacitor that went out.

It will probably get worse over time, yes. I can start to see the red line at the top left of mine. Probably will have to tweak the variable every once in a while as time goes on.

But all CRTs will die eventually...

One day I'm going to be trying to outlast the zombie apocalypse, with my PVMs stacked against the doors to get the zombies out, eating tuna packets and playing Turrican.

Filben

I think I just missed a pretty good deal. Sony PVM142MDE for roughly 30 bucks including shipping... please say that this modell wasn't a good deal...

I have also one question: Is there a way to connect a s-video cable to SCART without loosing image quality on my TV? Background: my N64 doesn't support RGB output. S-Video should be better than composite but my TV lacks a s-video input port. So my thoughts were to connect a s-video cable from my N64 to the scart adapter and to the TV to get the better IQ than with composite. Would it work?

This is why you stock pile them.

I thought about doing that, but I just don't have the space or the money to do so. The one I have is new old stock though, so it should last me a while. All I can really do is love it and treat it as best as I can until that inevitable day comes. It's sad to think about, but at the same time, I'll be happy that this monitor got to spend it's entire life playing classic games. What a way to live!

antibolo

Banned
One day I'm going to be trying to outlast the zombie apocalypse, with my PVMs stacked against the doors to get the zombies out, eating tuna packets and playing Turrican.

But the zombies might damage your PVMs if you use them as barricade. You should just let them take you instead, and avoid that risk.

Huggers

Just bought a NTSC Snes (I'm in the UK). Can I use my current Snes RGB Scart cable to plug it into the breakout cable of my bvm? Or is the cable different?

Roge_NES

Been doing the Xrgb Mini + DVDO Edge combo for the last month, all I can say is that the results are amazing, the Mini handles most of the processing, all the Edge handles is the upscaling from 720P to 1080P when using scanlines and sometimes some Zoom settings to fill out the screen along with splitting the audio using the HDMI Audio output to the AVR.

So far the recommended settings from the Xrgb Wiki have worked nicely.
Here's some shots.

NESRGB - Mini - Edge (In Game Mode) - Panasonic Plasma TC- P50U50 (In Game Mode)
Using the recommended settings from the WIki for 240P sources.

SLVnB3m.jpg

Wii (Via Component at 480i) - Mini - Edge (In Game Mode) - Panasonic Plasma TC- P50U50 (In Game Mode)
Using the recommended settings from the WIki for 480i and Component sources.

I found that the Wii 480P output is really poor and the 480i output delivers better results, the Mini in Video mode does an amazing De- Interlacing and upscaling to 1080P

sybXJop.jpg

cMrsO0J.jpg

Cables Used:
SNES JP-21 Cable from Retro_Console_Accessories
OEM Wii Component Cable
Regular HDMI cables from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom