• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaz

A soft modded Wii will handle all you Neo Geo, Pc Engine and Arcade games (as well as SNES, NES, and Genesis). Just run component to your PVM and you're good to go, that's the setup I have now and they all run in the correct resolution. The Wii pretty much replaced everything retro except the cd based systems.

I'm not really sure of that. I don't know if it's because of the TV on which I have the Wii or the wiimote itself, but when I ran the manual lag test from the 240p test suite, I had about 20ms of input lag on average (two frames). I didn't bother to test with the other, lag-free guaranteed TV or with a GC controller, but I was slightly upset at this result.

dodgeme

Figured you guys would appreciate this. If you are ever in need of cheap video switches, ebay is the place to go. Got this 8X4 Matrix switch for $.99 with $7 shipping. When you think of how much these things cost when new, its crazy how little they go for now. My plan is once I get everything in to use it for my composite only systems so I can swap between my PVM and my flatscreen when I want to.

OvZLP6S.jpg

SegaShack

Figured you guys would appreciate this. If you are ever in need of cheap video switches, ebay is the place to go. Got this 8X4 Matrix switch for $.99 with $7 shipping. When you think of how much these things cost when new, its crazy how little they go for now. My plan is once I get everything in to use it for my composite only systems so I can swap between my PVM and my flatscreen when I want to.
These are composite RCA? Which seller has them for so cheap?

Peltz

The Racketboy article was on point.
1398832_4567296837834_5488094503226626773_o.jpg

Some of the oversized controllers won't fit, but that's okay, I have a piece of furniture complimenting my TV stand with one drawer that'll hold them. I need to buy a second one; luckily I have a second door in my game room as well.

How does that stay on the door? Also how wide is it?

I may put one on the inside of a broom closet I converted into a videogame pantry which holds basically my entire collection. But the door is definitely narrower than standard door width.

Edit: Never mind. I just did a search and found out that this is a rather common item, and I basically figured out the answer to all of my questions. (I have very few shoes so this wasn't something I'd seen before).

However, one more question, how visible are those hooks from the other side of the door?

However, one more question, how visible are those hooks from the other side of the door?
Here is a pic. On mobile, so it sucks all around. Hopefully you can figure out scale by using the door frame.
20140903_163852.jpg

If you're in the US, under 6 bucks at Walmart. I know it seems silly, but I love it lol

The Racketboy article was on point.
1398832_4567296837834_5488094503226626773_o.jpg

Some of the oversized controllers won't fit, but that's okay, I have a piece of furniture complimenting my TV stand with one drawer that'll hold them. I need to buy a second one; luckily I have a second door in my game room as well.

Only use I've seen out of one of those was math in high school. Teacher stored the TI calculators in one and kept them numbered.

My current dilemma with my setup is that I get audio from multiple sources but only one component input on the trinitron.

I need audio to go to the component (DVD) input from both the Sega Genesis front headset adapter ( i have the right cable) and also from the Scart audio breakout adapter that will pull audio from the NES and SNES which use the same multi out.

What's the best way to accomplish this? Do they make some kind of RCA splitter that will let me basically hook two sources into one jack, for each stereo channel?

The component in is in the back and it's a pain in the ass not to mention extra wear and tear on the jacks in back to unplug and replug every time i switch systems.

dodgeme

This thread is a great informative reference. Thank you all.

It's easily become one of my favorite threads. Prior to this and the retro gaming threads I barely posted on here, but this thread now has me buying PVM's and getting into RGB gaming. Quite an expensive hobby but so worth it.

Khaz

My current dilemma with my setup is that I get audio from multiple sources but only one component input on the trinitron.

I need audio to go to the component (DVD) input from both the Sega Genesis front headset adapter ( i have the right cable) and also from the Scart audio breakout adapter that will pull audio from the NES and SNES which use the same multi out.

What's the best way to accomplish this? Do they make some kind of RCA splitter that will let me basically hook two sources into one jack, for each stereo channel?

The component in is in the back and it's a pain in the ass not to mention extra wear and tear on the jacks in back to unplug and replug every time i switch systems.

images
+
images

?

[edit] or

images
×2 +
images

?

I have some questions that hopefully someone here can answer. I have a PVM-20M4U and I am getting ready to buy the cables I need to hook my RGB systems up to it: a Genesis 1 and an RGB modded N64.

These are the cables I believe I need:
-http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc.html
-http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sega-mega-drive-1-sega-genesis-1-stereo-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead.html
-http://www.retrogamingcables.com/super-nintendo-ntsc-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html

What's confusing me are the customization options on each cable. For the breakout cable, what's the difference between EuroSCART and JP21? Which do I need? For the system cables, what's the difference between the "composite sync" and "composite video" options? I tried looking into this stuff a little myself but I am still confused.

Peltz

Easy $3 fix... assuming you mean composite (not component):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/9867299434/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SegaShack

I use these bad boys here: http://m.ebay.com/itm/141394372387?nav=SEARCH

They have worked for years and don't lose picture or audio quality. You can hook up 3 audio sources and make it go into one. You want to keep the stereo image, no need for one per jack.

Here is my audio one. Switches between scart, xbox, and Genesis audio

SegaShack

I have some questions that hopefully someone here can answer. I have a PVM-20M4U and I am getting ready to buy the cables I need to hook my RGB systems up to it: a Genesis 1 and an RGB modded N64.

-http://www.retrogamingcables.com/sega-mega-drive-1-sega-genesis-1-stereo-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead.html
-http://www.retrogamingcables.com/super-nintendo-ntsc-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html

What's confusing me are the customization options on each cable. For the breakout cable, what's the difference between EuroSCART and JP21? Which do I need? For the system cables, what's the difference between the "composite sync" and "composite video" options? I tried looking into this stuff a little myself but I am still confused.
Don't buy from retrogaming cables, they don't have any shielding in their cables, so lots of interferance in the picture, especially if you have a lot of wires behind your set. Genesis especially needs to be well shielded. I will link what you need from retro console accessories. You don't use JP21, those are only for japanese upscalers people use on here.

Register on thr shmups forum and make a post. Once it's approved you can PM people on there. I will tell you the member who sells great quality breakout cables for only $25.

Timu

jbv3y3NTgIOc68.jpg

My Sega Saturn RGB cable came in and worked perfectly with my scart to component converter, now I just need a better capture card which should come in next week because neither Roxio cut it when it comes to quality..

Khaz

Well, holy shit! It actually works! Videocard is dual outputting DVI to my HDTV and S-Video to the PVM.

Hey that's good :)

That reminds me I need to buy a computer and finally finish that soft15kHz cable I started building years ago. I think it was actually my first attempt at modding / soldering things, and I stopped before doing the scart end, there were damn too many cable to solder to that tiny (lol) connector.

Or I could just dig my old 17" VGA from the cave and enjoy them 640×480 games in all their native, yet fullscreen, glory.

Azzurri

Hey guys, quick question.

If I run a system like a PC engine through an Framemeister using RGB to my PC monitor which has built in speakers. Would I be able to get sound out of the PC engine via the HDMI cable running from the Framemeister?

Okay guys, this could be it. I found a guy that runs a local video production company, he says he has "4 or 5 monitors" and at least two are JVC BM-H1310SU, and there might be a Sony or two in there as well.

How much do you think I could snag these for? I offered him $25 a piece for them, I know that's probably low, but we'll see what he says.

SegaShack

Okay guys, this could be it. I found a guy that runs a local video production company, he says he has "4 or 5 monitors" and at least two are JVC BM-H1310SU, and there might be a Sony or two in there as well.

How much do you think I could snag these for? I offered him $25 a piece for them, I know that's probably low, but we'll see what he says.
I'd say if they are 20 inches and Sony, 75 or less would be a grwat price for one. Why would you need 4.

I'd say if they are 20 inches and Sony, 75 or less would be a grwat price for one. Why would you need 4.

What Gunsmith said. But seriously it's because I know a few friends who might be interested, and the ones they don't want I could pay it forward and sell for cheap locally. I'd want 2 for myself (1 for playing on and the other just in case).

SegaShack

You want this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-S...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ed3ead6c1

For N64 I am not sure of, since it is a modded console. I'm guessing it would work with the SNES one?

No matter what though, just get standard SCART cords, don't go for JP21, those are only for japanese upscaler XRGB boxes. Don't get "raw sync" or "Sync stripped" cables, just standard rgb.

Timu

jba9nTsU1N7mVj.jpg

It just came in today and I have to say, this may be the strangest capture card I've own, I will post impressions later, but it definitely does work, just not in the way I expected at all...

I use these bad boys here: http://m.ebay.com/itm/141394372387?nav=SEARCH

They have worked for years and don't lose picture or audio quality. You can hook up 3 audio sources and make it go into one. You want to keep the stereo image, no need for one per jack.

Here is my audio one. Switches between scart, xbox, and Genesis audio

This actually looks like the right solution.

Has anyone had any experience with Component Switch boxes?

I only use the one input for Genesis/SNES/NES but would like to be able to hook up a PS2 via component as well.

Do they degrade quality? are they generally shitty?

SegaShack

This actually looks like the right solution.

Has anyone had any experience with Component Switch boxes?

I only use the one input for Genesis/SNES/NES but would like to be able to hook up a PS2 via component as well.

Do they degrade quality? are they generally shitty?
Do you mean component or composite?

As long as a switch box is well made you shouldn't have issues. Just avoid cheap 2 dollar switches on Amazon or Monoprice.

Azzurri

Just ordered the framemeister, can't wait to get my SNES set up so I can play some of these games I just bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom