• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I won't be able to watch the game tonight because I'm going to an AHL game. I'll be receiving text updates for both the Antigua game and baseball. I'm not really nervous. I want to see us destroy a minnow team for once.

gutshot

Is MLS Making the Rest of CONCACAF Better at the Expense of the U.S. National Team?

When the United States men's national team fell 2-1 last month in Jamaica, it was the squad's first loss in 19 games against the Caribbean country. But American supporters no doubt noticed something familiar about the match: the faces of the Reggae Boyz. Four of Jamaica’s starters and two of the substitutes play in Major League Soccer. In total, coach Theo Whitmore had nine MLS players on his roster for the vital World Cup qualifier.

Whitmore was not the only one in the region to turn to the American top tier for talent. During the September international break, non-U.S. CONCACAF countries called up 32 MLS players. For the October World Cup qualifiers that start on Friday, 28 such men — including seven from Canada, six from Honduras, and five from Jamaica — received calls.

A good point raised by this article, which may partly explain why the road to the World Cup has gotten more difficult this year.

Subitai

Is MLS Making the Rest of CONCACAF Better at the Expense of the U.S. National Team?

A good point raised by this article, which may partly explain why the road to the World Cup has gotten more difficult this year.
Yeah. The national team and MLS by a strict definition were never going to have completely similar directions and goals. This will probably continue as the MLS becomes more successful. When I think more about it, the sport in general will only take off when casual fans here are invested emotionally more in domestic clubs than they are in the national team. Similar to way fans approach the NBA and FIBA international games.

daoster

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves
That goal was the FIRST Antigua & Barbuda has scored at home in this round of qualifying. They'd gone more than 200 minutes w/o a home goal

Why stop there...we already gave Jamaica their first win against the US in WCQ, let's give A&B one too!

PCarrESPN: A&B has three goals in five games during this qualifying round. Two of them have been vs USA.

We may not be the first to concede goals anymore, but we're still leaky as fuck!

Nesotenso

possession domination, but they are fast and our back line looks slow. That goal was a bad giveaway. The US should still get more shots on goal in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom