• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahaha

wcmaps-comparison2.png

:/

Heretic

Not sure why distance is an issue. It's not like they're playing in consecutive days or even two or three days apart.

This shouldn't be a factor at all.

Atlagev

Traveling back to base camp just doesn't make sense to me now that the US knows the travel schedule. For the US-Portugal and US-Germany games, you're talking about the Portugal game in Manaus being played on the 22nd, and then the Germany game just 4 days later, in Recife. Why not take that time to get acclimated to the local climate, etc.? I can understand before the draw was known, but being based in Sao Paolo at this point just doesn't make any sense.

Osorio

Not sure why distance is an issue. It's not like they're playing in consecutive days or even two or three days apart.

This shouldn't be a factor at all.

If anything the heat is more of a factor. A factor which I'd believe we're better suited for with MLS and former MLS players.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;93948883 said:
I know it was always unlikely that he wouldn't be back in time for brazil but still. Fucking shame.

I was hoping he'd make it, I knew it was an outside chance and probably wouldn't happen, but hearing what amounts to confirmation he won't is still depressing. We'd be so much better with him.

NoRéN

I was hoping he'd make it, I knew it was an outside chance and probably wouldn't happen, but hearing what amounts to confirmation he won't is still depressing. We'd be so much better with him.

Definitely. I mean, has the US ever had such a talented player cursed with so many injuries?

This last one taking him out of the world cup just sucks. A midfield with Donovan, Bradley, Zusi, and Holden would have been good to see.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;93949927 said:
Definitely. I mean, has the US ever had such a talented player cursed with so many injuries?

This last one taking him out of the world cup just sucks. A midfield with Donovan, Bradley, Zusi, and Holden would have been good to see.

Yea, that could have done some real damage. Just the same I hope he'll be able to recover properly and go back to playing for his club.

NoRéN

Yea, that could have done some real damage. Just the same I hope he'll be able to recover properly and go back to playing for his club.

I hope so. Such damn bad luck. Although, much respect to Bolton for not turning their back on him. He's probably spent more time sidelined that playing for them and yet he's still there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;93950974 said:
I hope so. Such damn bad luck. Although, much respect to Bolton for not turning their back on him. He's probably spent more time sidelined that playing for them and yet he's still there.

To be fair he's worth it, if it wasn't someone as talented as Holden they'd probably have ditched him a while ago.

A few quick notes...

- Sounds like Dempsey's loan move to Fulham is getting close to being finalized
- Celtic are apparently having a close look at Johannsson and might try to buy him in January
- JA Brooks is sick this weekend and won't suit up
- Kljestan has a calf injury and probably won't play this weekend

gutshot

A few quick notes...

- Sounds like Dempsey's loan move to Fulham is getting close to being finalized
- Celtic are apparently having a close look at Johannsson and might try to buy him in January
- JA Brooks is sick this weekend and won't suit up
- Kljestan has a calf injury and probably won't play this weekend

I'd rather Johannsson stay in the Eredevisie. Don't pull a Jozy, Aron!

NoRéN

I'd rather Johannsson stay in the Eredevisie. Don't pull a Jozy, Aron!

Finally! People getting it.

Seriously, Celtic is a bigger club with more money but that's it. The risk of ending up riding the bench is too great with only months until Brazil.

Dempsey, going back to where he was just fine. What a waste of time when he could have just stayed there.

Yanks abroad update....

- Cameron, Jozy, and Guzan all start in the Premier League
- Cherundolo starts in Hannover, Brooks doesn't suit up for Hertha (sick), Chandler & Jones both start as does F Johnson
- Johannsson starts for AZ

NoRéN

Cameron almost had a goal and assisted Crouch in the game winner against Guzan and Villa.

Altidore failed to score.

Hannover lost.

Nuremberg and Schalke drew 0-0

Johannsson scored again but AZ lost 5-1

God watching altidore and Sunderland this morning....ugh what a stupid move jozy =/
I want to meet the people in his life that agreed that a move to Sunderland was a good idea. Or maybe people tried to reason with him and he went against better judgment. Who knows.

NoRéN

Dempsey's 2-month loan to Fulham has been confirmed by both clubs.

Good for Dempsey but even better for Fulham. Now they can start to try and climb out of the relegation zone and the loan will most likely see Dempsey take part in games against Arsenal, Manchester United, and Liverpool.

shoplifter

Better question about the loan (and this probably belongs in the MLS thread) - is money changing hands (other than salary) here? If money is being transferred from FFC to Seattle, I sincerely hope that the league eats that up until they've recovered whatever they paid.

Howard started, as usual, for Everton this morning but was sent off about 20 minutes into the match against Sunderland. Jozy is on the bench.

Great finish in that Everton-Sunderland match.

Sunderland fought off consecutive corners in extra time to secure 1-0 win and get the three points. Jozy came on at the 87' mark

Sunderland is not good but Jozy has been terrible as well. Maybe he is simply not good enough for a higher level.

He had the one chance in this match that he missed from a yard away on a rebound (the ball took a difficult bounce, but a first choice striker at the professional level really should be putting that one away), but other than that he's been ghost. He just seems listless in this lineup.

It's hard to determine the fault for that. Sunderland is awful, and they do a really poor job of putting Jozy in good positions to succeed, but still Jozy should be doing better with the few opportunities he gets.

NoRéN

Sunderland is not good but Jozy has been terrible as well. Maybe he is simply not good enough for a higher level.

Of course he's shit. The goal of every player should be to go to a league that suits them best where they can develop their own style and hopefully perfect it. His insistence on going back to the BPL has shown that he simply is lacking. Sunderland sucks but they have given him chances. When he does play he contributes little to nothing at all.

He's one of those players that sometimes really shows up to games and sometimes he doesn't. When he does, all it takes is the opposition to score to take him off his game. If klinsmann really wants to take him to brazil, it should be as a sub that gets to play the last 20-30 minutes at most.

we, as fans have to stop getting excited when a striker scores one goal. US strikers tend to have their moments and they never last long. Once they prove themselves, then we can get excited. Look at Kevin Bac aron johannsson. Dudes score a few goals and everyone noticed. Then, he just kept doing it.

Better question about the loan (and this probably belongs in the MLS thread) - is money changing hands (other than salary) here? If money is being transferred from FFC to Seattle, I sincerely hope that the league eats that up until they've recovered whatever they paid.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm curious on the financial aspects of how these loans work when a US players goes overseas.

NoRéN;95069038 said:
Of course he's shit. The goal of every player should be to go to a league that suits them best where they can develop their own style and hopefully perfect it. His insistence on going back to the BPL has shown that he simply is lacking. Sunderland sucks but they have given him chances. When he does play he contributes little to nothing at all.

I'm pretty sure the 13 million transfer fee also had something to do with it. That figure was unprecedented for a US soccer player and I doubt that would be easy to pass up.

NoRéN

I was wondering the same thing. I'm curious on the financial aspects of how these loans work when a US players goes overseas.
Can they make any money in a loan deal? The wages saved in the two months should be a good amount for Seattle.
I'm pretty sure the 13 million transfer fee also had something to do with it. That figure was unprecedented for a US soccer player and I doubt that would be easy to pass up.

Fuck. Didn't know they paid that much.

Altidore reminds me of Hesky. Holds the ball up nice, makes some decent passes but never scores. I don't think England is the best league suited for him either.

It's possibly due to the teams he's ended up on but he has missed chances that he should have scored. Overall Sunderland are a mess this year. They have talent but are really frustrating to watch. For some reason I don't think they will get relegated this year either.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Brek Shea being loaned from Stoke to Barnsley.

Man I remember when people were actually excited about him. Long fall. Not sure why he is still on the USMNT.

xbhaskarx

Brek Shea being loaned from Stoke to Barnsley.

Man I remember when people were actually excited about him. Long fall. Not sure why he is still on the USMNT.

Good, dead last in the Championship, they could use him so he should get plenty of games.

Shea is still in the MNT picture because he can come on as a substitute and change the game in just a few minutes with his athleticism and speed. When you're creating a WC roster, that's more valuable than say consistency at the club level but not being a potential difference maker on the national team (eg Kljestan).

xbhaskarx

The January camp roster should be out on Thursday. Anyone that you folks want to see on it?

I already posted mine

- Galarcep takes a crack at the January roster:

GOALKEEPERS — Nick Rimando, Sean Johnson, Tally Hall, Bill Hamid

DEFENDERS — Brad Evans, Chance Myers, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Chris Schuler, Clarence Goodson, Seth Sinovic, Chris Klute

MIDFIELDERS — Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Benny Feilhaber, Mix Diskerud, Kyle Beckerman, Luis Gil, Dillon Powers, Ricardo Clark

FORWARDS — Clint Dempsey, Chris Wondolowski, C.J. Sapong, Robbie Findley

Discussion via the link.

Pasting my response to this list from the MLS thread...

Replace Tally Hall with Clint Irwin or Zac MacMath
Replace Ricardo Clark with Dax McCarty or Perry Kitchen
Replace Chance Myers with DeAndre Yedlin or Andrew Farrell
Replace CJ Sapong with Jack McInerney or Will Bruin
Replace Robbie Findley with Gyasi Zardes

And what do guys like Lee Nguyen and Kelyn Rowe need to go to get invited to January Camp?!?
Others I wouldn't mind seeing: George John, Dilly Duka, Matt Hedges, Amobi Okugo

Edit: and let's not forget about Conor O'Brien in Denmark...

But I expect to be disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom