• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what this means... why would Roma not be happy about it at all? Aren't they the ones who set the asking price? Wouldn't it only happen if they wanted it to?
A friend and I were discussing that bit and we had a similar reaction. No clue what that means.

Nesotenso

If he's going for the 7 million range, then I don't know many EPL clubs that would be willing to pony that up for an American midfielder.

I can live with this as a short-term move to get him some time before the World Cup, but long term this doesn't make sense on a number of levels.

ok say this is a short term deal, then how does spending February in preseason mode for a world cup year benefit a player? The selling point here is playing time right? Why reject a loan deal to Hellas Verona?

Sheesh, to think I was dreading a transfer to Fulham or Cardiff and now here we are.....

fucking Toronto and a return to MLS.

That's a terrible move for Bradley if true. I could see it if he were getting no run (like Clint at Tottenham) or if he were stuck with a bad team in a league that doesn't quite suit him (like Jozy at Sunderland), but he's getting consistent football in a top-flight league on a team that values his services.

MLS is a big step down for him

xbhaskarx

A friend and I were discussing that bit and we had a similar reaction. No clue what that means.

There could be some language in his contract where it's automatically triggered by a bid of a certain number, but they wouldn't that have happened already with the Sunderland offer? And Roma dismissed that outright as if it didn't come close to what they would sell Bradley for...

"right in the neighborhood of Sunderland's failed summer offer"

- Toronto Star: TFC signs Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe, Michael Bradley may be next
It’s understood that the combined value of transfer fees and salaries for the two men would reach $100 million. This, in a league with a $3 million salary cap. Two guys — and they’re worth only $20 million less than Forbes’ valuation of the entire franchise.
Whuck?

ok say this is a short term deal, then how does spending February in preseason mode for a world cup year benefit a player? The selling point here is playing time right? Why reject a loan deal to Hellas Verona?
I'd immediately send him to the January camp with the US if it went through. Honestly, some training for a month and then three months of play to get ready for the WC isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm not saying it's ideal, far from it. I'm just saying I can live with it.
There could be some language in his contract where it's automatically triggered by a bid of a certain number, but they wouldn't that have happened already with the Sunderland offer? And Roma dismissed that outright as if it didn't come close to what they would sell Bradley for...

"right in the neighborhood of Sunderland's failed summer offer"
Yup, exact same conclusion we came to.

xbhaskarx

Even then, out of all the teams in MLS, why the fuck would he go to TFC?

Why not? TFC is one of the top teams in MLS in terms of money, and now they finally have quality management in Leiweke and Bezbatchenko.
Leiweke clearly has ambitions of doing for TFC what he did in LA.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Why not? TFC is one of the top teams in MLS in terms of money, and now they finally have quality management in Leiweke and Bezbatchenko.
Leiweke clearly has ambitions of doing for TFC what he did in LA.

Choosing money and joining one of the consistently worst MLS teams is sending the wrong message.

Nesotenso

MLS will get no respect if it's best players keep leaving.

The fortunes and the success of soccer/MLS in the USA is linked with the national team because that is the team most people care about. Our best players playing in the MLS is not going to help you win international competitions. Maybe a day will come when it is the best option. But that is in all likelihood years away from happening.

xbhaskarx

Choosing money and joining one of the consistently worst MLS teams is sending the wrong message.

Toronto's performance in previous seasons is irrelevant to Bradley, what matters is how they perform in the future. If Defoe/Bradley join, one or two more minor moves and I'd say they have as good a team as anyone else in the East.

Askani

I couldn't decide which one to go with, so you get both:

eiPqpzq.png

ZZMitch

Interesting move, probably not a good one but I am selfishly a little happy since I go to school in Toronto and can see him play. Still though, he should probably stay in Europe.

- Jeff Carlisle: Michael Bradley set to move to MLS
MLS clubs were notified around the start of the year that Bradley was available and clubs were instructed to let the league know if they were interested. Given its financial muscle, and with new Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke eager to turn around the struggling club’s fortunes, Toronto F.C. quickly moved to the front of the line.
Sources confirmed that the proposed financial commitment TFC is making is considerable. MLS is poised to sign Bradley to a contract in the five to six-year range at an annual salary in the neighborhood of $6.5 million. There was conflicting data in terms of the transfer fee, with one overseas source indicating that Roma expects to receive $7 million and multiple MLS sources stating that the Italian club will receive in excess of $10 million.

This is incredibly disappointing. That is two of our biggest players for the United States National Team, running back to MLS in the past 6 months. Hope he doesn't flame out like Dempsey did last year. At least Dempsey has a chance to get his form back before Brazil.

Nesotenso

I wonder if this will lead to more guys like Eddie Johnson making stupid "pay me" hand signs when they don't deserve 5 million per year.

Elchele

NoRéN;96402314 said:
What a waste of his talent.

It is for the good of the league, don't know why you guys would be against it. And Roma just signed a new DM, so he basically would've been warming the bench permanently.

Nesotenso

It is for the good of the league, don't know why you guys would be against it. And Roma just signed a new DM, so he basically would've been warming the bench permanently.

that is a stretch. MLS clubs were notified he might move before Nainggolan was signed. And he was fine filling in for DeRossi in particular when he was asked to do so.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So he's getting 10x more money than he would have at Roma.

I think any person in the world would take that offer.

Pretty much. It was the same with Jozy. I won't say it isn't disappointing, but seeing the level of MLS go up won't be a bad thing in the long run. Besides, this way I can actually go and see him play once and a while.

daoster

So hypothetically, if a Middle Eastern club or Chinese club had offered Michael a 100 million dollars to play in one of their clubs, he should have taken it? The money is nice, but the money option is not always the ideal option for soccer reasons.

To be one of the best, you have to play with the best week in and week out and that's not what Michael will get in MLS, sorry.

I respect the fact that Michael made such a decision, i just disagree vehemently about it. ARRGH

Clydefrog

word is that Tim Howard is going to move to Rangers in May to help them get back to 1st division for a $3.50 transfer fee and a trip to see the lochness monster

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So hypothetically, if a Middle Eastern club or Chinese club had offered Michael a 100 million dollars to play in one of their clubs, he should have taken it? The money is nice, but the money option is not always the ideal option for soccer reasons.

To be one of the best, you have to play with the best week in and week out and that's not what Michael will get in MLS, sorry.

I respect the fact that Michael made such a decision, i just disagree vehemently about it. ARRGH

MLS has been making some pretty big strides lately, it's not on the same level as a Chinese or Middle Eastern club. It's definitely not as good as where he was, but the level of play in the league has been improving. If nothing else he'll be starting in every game and will get a lot more play time.

word is that Tim Howard is going to move to Rangers in May to help them get back to 1st division for a $3.50 transfer fee and a trip to see the lochness monster

I heard he gets to ride it once a week, three times a week if he can keep a clean sheet.

NoRéN

This post I like.

Money wise, yeah, smart move.

Regarding the game, I doubt it will help improve his.

Osorio

Usually I hate the diatribes at Bigsoccer but this guy made a good point

Yes Klinsmann tells everyone to look for better leagues.

While he has done that the following players have re-signed with MLS.

Bradley, Donovan, Dempsey, Gonzo, Zusi and Besler.

Everyone of the them a lock for the WC squad next summer, IMO.

And then you have the players who followed his advice, like Shea, Edu, Parkhurst, Lichaj, Sacha and others might be on the outside looking in.

I can't blame people for ignoring what JK says since he does not reward players for just blindly going overseas, nor does he penalize players for coming back or staying in MLS.

Osorio

Let's not forget that the difference between Toronto and the Middle East is not just the level of play but distance from home. He's now going to be close to the Eastern seaboard while adding quality to the league who gave him his first chance and has an upward trajectory in status and quality.

I'm sure that when he plays at Red Bull Arena he will enjoy the droves of friends and family that will come to see him. Good luck seeing that in Qatar.

What's best for MLS is best for the national team in the long run. The fact that premier players are being attracted to the league can only be good for it in the long run.

Heretic

Better steps would be raising the minimum salary and putting that kind of money into youth development.
I don't disagree with this. Best case scenario is our big profile USMNT players coming back inspire our youth into sticking with the sport past a certain age.

daoster

MLS has been making some pretty big strides lately, it's not on the same level as a Chinese or Middle Eastern club. It's definitely not as good as where he was, but the level of play in the league has been improving. If nothing else he'll be starting in every game and will get a lot more play time.

For arguably our best player, is "good enough" level of play what we want?

Let's not forget that the difference between Toronto and the Middle East is not just the level of play but distance from home. He's now going to be close to the Eastern seaboard while adding quality to the league who gave him his first chance and has an upward trajectory in status and quality.

I'm sure that when he plays at Red Bull Arena he will enjoy the droves of friends and family that will come to see him. Good luck seeing that in Qatar.

The life of a soccer player is tough, and that is the life he has chosen. Messi, who's the same age as Bradley, has been in Spain since he was 13! That's the life of a soccer player, if you constantly want to play against the best.

I will say it again. To be the best, you have to play with the best, week in and week out and this is true for just about every single other sport out there, but for some reason, for soccer, for an American player, it's not true? Doing what's best for your domestic league is name of the game now?

I know I'm sounding like a hypocritical and cruel bastard, but hey....Sports! I'm allowed to be, regardless of Michael's personal life :p (Though like I said, I respect Mike's decision, even if I strongly, vehemently, disagree with it)

Better steps would be raising the minimum salary and putting that kind of money into youth development.

This is definitely true. I'm not sure how bringing over star players, while side stepping the league rules (I don't know if Toronto did, but Seattle definitely did for Dempsey) will suddenly make this league stronger in the long run.

Raising the salary cap and giving kids the possibility of living the good life playing soccer (as opposed to playing basketball, baseball or football) will do much more for the league in the long run.

And all this talk about good for the league in the long run. I don't give a rat's ass about what's good for the league in the long run. MLS will be perfectly fine with or without Michael Bradley. The World Cup is looming, I'm thinking about the NOW, for the national team.

Osorio

The life of a soccer player is tough, and that is the life he has chosen. Messi, who's the same age as Bradley, has been in Spain since he was 13! That's the life of a soccer player, if you constantly want to play against the best.

I will say it again. To be the best, you have to play with the best, week in and week out and this is true for just about every single other sport out there, but for some reason, for soccer, for an American player, it's not true? Doing what's best for your domestic league is name of the game now?

I know I'm sounding like a hypocritical and cruel bastard, but hey....Sports! I'm allowed to be, regardless of Michael's personal life :p (Though like I said, I respect Mike's decision, even if I strongly, vehemently, disagree with it).

I'd think a 13 year old with a great opportunity to make a career in soccer is different from a guy who already has been a professional for years, married to an American woman who doesn't know the local language, and with a chance to play in his home...continent for 10x the money he was making before is a bit different.

Besides, didn't Roma get a new DM? Perhaps he is better off actually play than spending time on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom