• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

cOUCitE.jpg

Klinsmann + hard hat... my mind automatically goes to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDEfaonoQvg

xbhaskarx

Gooch has 0% chance unless he goes back in time and doesn't destroy his knee.

Regarding Cherundolo, the Bundesliga is still on its winter break until Jan 24.

Jarnet87

I bet lunch with a friend that the US wouldn't make it past the group stage. I can't wait to start looking for nice places a couple days before the tournament starts.

NoRéN

Just a guess.
can't wait to find out if i get my germany and portugal game tickets :lol i can't imagine demand is incredibly high for any USA game
I think tickets for Germany-USA will be easier to get than for 90 minutes of ronaldoPortugal-USA
is he wearing a verano luchador mask?
lol

You know, I only just found out where your username and formar avatar pic are from.

Jozy's on for Sunderland towards the end of this Sunderland-ManU match. 2-2 and might head into extra time soon.
Dude really has to step it up. World cup is just months away. Then again, he'll probably still go anyway.

edit: game went to PKs.

Meier

Jozy was really, REALLY awful tonight. Got in the way multiple times and caused Sunderland to lose possession twice when doing so. He was never a threat and in one chance where I thought he might try and run with it or at least turn and shoot, he just weakly passed it backwards. It's pretty clear he has no confidence right now.

Nesotenso

I think we are seeing the Altidore of old when he was really ineffective with the national team prior to the recent qualifying cycle. Always with back to goal, horrible first touch, poor awareness to get into open space etc. Just all round terrible and ineffective. He has been given opportunities this season and other strikers in the bottom teams have scored more than one measly goal. Bad news is that we are getting terrible Jozy in a world cup year where he was supposed to be one of the key guys.

Meier

I think we are seeing the Altidore of old when he was really ineffective with the national team prior to the recent qualifying cycle. Always with back to goal, horrible first touch, poor awareness to get into open space etc. Just all round terrible and ineffective. He has been given opportunities this season and other strikers in the bottom teams have scored more than one measly goal. Bad news is that we are getting terrible Jozy in a world cup year where he was supposed to be one of the key guys.

For better or for worse, none of Sunderland's strikers can score with any sort of consistency so he's at least getting to play a lot. I thought it might click under Poyet as they've improved dramatically but he's completely ineffective as you said. The next international break is in March.. I guess we'll get a glimmer to then at whether he can put his shit club form behind him.

NoRéN

If altidore continues to play like shit, I hope klinsmann will be quick to start Aron

I hope so but i doubt it. Seems like Klinnsmann has a hard on for him and Jones.

gutshot

I know Altidore is no where close to in form right now, but you are telling me he can't kick a PK better than those scrubs they trotted out there yesterday? At least Altidore has been in some high pressure situations before, playing in the World Cup and Confed Cup finals.

I'm really starting to think that Jozy will transfer to MLS this summer. I'm sure Dempsey, Bradley and Donovan will talk it up to him during the WC. And Sunderland will likely want to move on from an overpaid, out-of-form striker. A homecoming in the form of a return to the Red Bulls, perhaps?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I know Altidore is no where close to in form right now, but you are telling me he can't kick a PK better than those scrubs they trotted out there yesterday? At least Altidore has been in some high pressure situations before, playing in the World Cup and Confed Cup finals.

I'm really starting to think that Jozy will transfer to MLS this summer. I'm sure Dempsey, Bradley and Donovan will talk it up to him during the WC. And Sunderland will likely want to move on from an overpaid, out-of-form striker. A homecoming in the form of a return to the Red Bulls, perhaps?

I've been thinking about season tickets to the Red Bulls and that would definitely make me bite.

Clydefrog

NoRéN;98145500 said:
I'm sure Johansson would have at the very least gotten a shot on goal today.

lol you're probably right...

How about we put no one on Sunderland

I'm not saying Aron is better than Jozy, but one is confident and scoring goals and the other isn't.

lol you're probably right...

let me turn it around: put Jozy back in AZ and I bet he scores like cray

sunderland gonna sunderland :(

i dont know about that. teams don't usually sell a player they bought after one season? sunderland isn't chelsea. maybe a loan to MLS?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
can't wait to find out if i get my germany and portugal game tickets :lol i can't imagine demand is incredibly high for any USA game

is he wearing a verano luchador mask?

dem negative stereotypes..I thought this was America.

Agudelo is registered with Utrecht, so he can play tomorrow if they want him to suit up.

Also, The Guardian had a long article on Gedion Zelalem this morning. Note the difficulty with him signing on with the US:
Zelalem's status as a German national made his move to the Arsenal academy straightforward. After the age of 16, he was free to work anywhere within the European Union. But a unique complication looms as Zelalem considers his international future.

He has spent the key years of his young life in the US and he not only sounds American, he considers himself to be American. His laid-back attitude and quiet self-assurance are characteristically American. If all things were equal, he would surely choose to declare for Klinsmann and the USA national side, who would love to add a little fantasy to their game.

But all things are not equal. According to Section 25 (i) of the German Nationality Act, German citizenship "shall be lost by a person acquiring a foreign citizenship upon his/her application. This does not affect persons acquiring the citizenship of an EU member state or Switzerland."

Zelalem has a claim for a US passport but, if he pursued it, he would not only lose his German citizenship but his EU rights, which could affect his ability to work in England. At the very least, he would have to apply for a work permit and that could lead him and Arsenal into choppy waters.

The system is not designed to accommodate super-talented non-EU youngsters, rather established top internationals. Advice would have to be sought from the UK border agencies while lawyers would also become embroiled. There is no precedent for a Premier League player giving up his EU status and then having to explore the means to remain at his club. The situation would stand to be time-consuming and fraught with risk.

It is not difficult to imagine who Wenger would prefer Zelalem to declare for, and that is before the travel demands of having a US international at a European club are factored in. There is a further irony in that Arsenal's majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, and the club's transfer fixer, Dick Law, are American while the chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, spent a good portion of his working life in the US.
More via the link.

Askani

Sporting KC turned down a 1 million dollar offer for Erik Palmer-Brown from Juventus.

We must really think that kid is going to be something special. I hope he is. Would like to see him play sometime.

SI.com said:
Sporting Kansas City has turned down a $1 million bid from Italian giant Juventus for 16-year-old defender Erik Palmer-Brown, a source with knowledge of the offer told SI.com.

Palmer-Brown, a member of the U.S. Under-18 national team, was a homegrown signing for the MLS club last August. A resident of Lee’s Summit, Mo., he had been a member of the SKC youth academy since the age of 11.

After signing a pro contract at 16, Palmer-Brown began training with Kansas City’s senior team during the morning and studying at Archbishop O’Hara High in Kansas City, Mo., in the afternoon.

Juventus, which currently sits in first place in Serie A, made its bid for the 6-foot-1, 175-pound Palmer-Brown after watching him play for U.S. youth national teams.

U.S. Under-20 coach Tab Ramos recently included Palmer-Brown in his team’s training sessions for the first time.

http://soccer.si.com/2014/01/24/sporting-kansas-city-erik-palmer-brown-juventus-bid/

Since I just posted this in the MLS thread, here's a great example of why we should merge or create an all encompassing thread.

IMG Zusi Pic /IMG

I saw that on their twitter. So good. I would kill to have a poster of that.

EDIT :::::

Howler just tweeted back. They are going to have it in their store.

xbhaskarx

Agudelo is registered with Utrecht, so he can play tomorrow if they want him to suit up.

Also, The Guardian had a long article on Gedion Zelalem this morning. Note the difficulty with him signing on with the US:

Zelalem's status as a German national made his move to the Arsenal academy straightforward. After the age of 16, he was free to work anywhere within the European Union. But a unique complication looms as Zelalem considers his international future.

He has spent the key years of his young life in the US and he not only sounds American, he considers himself to be American. His laid-back attitude and quiet self-assurance are characteristically American. If all things were equal, he would surely choose to declare for Klinsmann and the USA national side, who would love to add a little fantasy to their game.

But all things are not equal. According to Section 25 (i) of the German Nationality Act, German citizenship "shall be lost by a person acquiring a foreign citizenship upon his/her application. This does not affect persons acquiring the citizenship of an EU member state or Switzerland."

Zelalem has a claim for a US passport but, if he pursued it, he would not only lose his German citizenship but his EU rights, which could affect his ability to work in England. At the very least, he would have to apply for a work permit and that could lead him and Arsenal into choppy waters.

The system is not designed to accommodate super-talented non-EU youngsters, rather established top internationals. Advice would have to be sought from the UK border agencies while lawyers would also become embroiled. There is no precedent for a Premier League player giving up his EU status and then having to explore the means to remain at his club. The situation would stand to be time-consuming and fraught with risk.

It is not difficult to imagine who Wenger would prefer Zelalem to declare for, and that is before the travel demands of having a US international at a European club are factored in. There is a further irony in that Arsenal's majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, and the club's transfer fixer, Dick Law, are American while the chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, spent a good portion of his working life in the US.

More via the link.

Stay the f out of this Wenger.

I suspect Bayern coaches are discouraging Julian Green from playing for the US for similar reasons....

Steven Goff said:
USMNT update: Chris Klute, Shane O'Neill, Chance Myers, Seth Sinovic, Tally Hall return to clubs. Michael Parkhurst joins squad.

EDIT: So that leaves the roster for the rest of Jan Camp and the SK friendly as:
GOALKEEPERS (3) : Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7) : Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Harrington (Portland Timbers), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (8) : Eric Alexander (New York Red Bulls), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4 ): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (D.C. United), Mike Magee (Chicago Fire), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Askani

USMNT update: Chris Klute, Shane O'Neill, Chance Myers, Seth Sinovic, Tally Hall return to clubs. Michael Parkhurst joins squad.

Just coming to post this. Too bad about Seth. Chance's contract is currently up so it will be interesting to see what happens with him now that making a USMNT right now isn't a focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom