• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

If this part of some trend that the best we have to offer come back to the MLS or stagnate here, then it is not great for the national team.

And all this talk about good for the league in the long run. I don't give a rat's ass about what's good for the league in the long run. MLS will be perfectly fine with or without Michael Bradley. The World Cup is looming, I'm thinking about the NOW, for the national team.

Spot on, there are many of us who love the MLS and support it because it is ultimately the pipeline for American talent. But it will be an inferior league for a long time to come. Players like Dempsey and Bradley are not going to transform the national landscape and move the ratings needle. Success at a World Cup is and you don't get that if as a player you see MLS as the pinnacle.

- ESPNFC: A few quotes from Bradley's agent on the move:
"Michael made this choice, and Toronto, in just two days, have closed the deal," the agent said. "There is a very important project for him at Toronto, who made an investment that is one of the most expensive in recent years."

"The arrival of [Radja] Nainggolan at Roma has also contributed to Bradley's choice," the agent explained. "At Roma he never felt like an important player for the team."

Sources told ESPNFC that Bradley had been looking for an exit even before Nainggolan’s arrival, with his lack of playing time in a World Cup year his primary concern.

"There were many offers, also from Serie A, by clubs like Verona and Bologna, but Michael chose to return [to the MLS] after 10 years in Europe," Faccini said. "It was a bitter choice, but made with the heart.

"Roma wanted him to stay, to leave for Toronto was his choice."

While it's definitely a source of pride to have an American player on one of the top Italian clubs, it's also a source of pride to actually have the MLS start paying American players top dollars that used to be reserved for aging European players who were nearly a decade past their prime.

It also has a trickle down a effect of where today's youth players will actually see a future in MLS and we'll be able to retain and develop the top youth talent instead of losing them to other sports.

Yes for Bradley it's a step down in competition, but he's already lived the dream of playing at the highest level overseas for many years. He's considered one of the top active American players. His ticket to Brazil is practically stamped already even if he decided to play for the J-League tomorrow.

The truth is, while Bradley is a top American player, he's not going to be a world class elite player even if he stays in Europe another 5-6 years. He's not on any top 100 list I've seen in any european publication. It's possible Bradley feels he's already close to his ceiling.

As for the national team, yes club competition level plays a factor but if the quality/level of the club was everything, then England would have actually won a World Cup outside their country and wouldn't have had such inconsistent and dreadful performances in past World Cups. I do think it's important for a player's individual development to play against the best and in an environment that suits them. But in terms of national team success, so much more goes into it than the current club level of the player.

As far as the MLS, these big signings of American players (and hopefully a couple of prime European) are great strides forward. But the MLS still needs to figure out how to improve their anemic TV ratings. Once they can improve the TV ratings that's when the big bucks will start rolling in and salaries can go up as a whole. The primary reason Liga MX players get paid more is because soccer TV ratings in Mexico are higher, which attracts more sponsors. Hopefully the MLS can ride the wave of Brazil '14 but they'll get more mileage if the US performs well and/or the MLS can acquire a star player from the tournament who can make an immediate impact on the league.

Sounds like Parkhurst is headed back to MLS and will be playing with the Crew.

There are some rumors circulating that both Fabian Johnson and Timmy Chandler might be switching to different Bundesliga teams, but there's nothing concrete there yet.

Osorio

Sounds like Parkhurst is headed back to MLS and will be playing with the Crew.

There are some rumors circulating that both Fabian Johnson and Timmy Chandler might be switching to different Bundesliga teams, but there's nothing concrete there yet.

Again, smart move. At least he'll get playing time in Columbus rather than rotting on the bench in Germany

In transfer news:
- Still no word on where Agudelo is headed on loan
- Philly are trying to get a deal to bring in Edu as their DP, but there are rumors circulating that MLS might veto the move.

sarcasticokjlaw.gif
zZAFFuUt.jpg

NoRéN

There's a rumor circulating that the US will play Ukraine on the March 5th international date.

If it's here, hooray! I get to see both the teams I support play. If it's in Ukraine it could be a good test for the national team to go to abroad and try and get a win.

Although, I'm sure it would be better to play opposition that made the world cup.

daoster

It's disappointing that we'er not playing England, despite the team being based in Florida leading up to the World Cup.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1682239/american-mark-geiger-referee-world-cup?cc=5901

ZURICH -- An American referee was picked to officiate at the World Cup for the first time since 2002.

FIFA selected U.S. ref Mark Geiger to officiate at the World Cup.
Mark Geiger, a 39-year-old high school math teacher from Beachwood, N.J., was among 25 referees selected Tuesday by FIFA.

Germany and Portugal, both teams we played in 2002 World Cup..Arguably the strongest team since the 2002 lineup...First American Ref in the World Cup since 2002.

#Believe

Clydefrog

well, I guess it's now official. spent a few grand already towards a trip to Brazil. oh man this is going to be awesome :)

edit: great news for Geiger! congrats to him

toxk_02

Black Republican
well, I guess it's now official. spent a few grand already towards a trip to Brazil. oh man this is going to be awesome :)

edit: great news for Geiger! congrats to him
Nice. Are you piecing travel together yourself or did you find a package deal? I missed the boat on the AO party, and the package US Soccer directed me to is a bit rich for my blood.

Agudelo is being loaned from Stoke to Utrecht. Let's hope he gets some PT.

You'll have a great time. I've been to a few and always enjoyed it, even if it's rough on the ol' bank account.

Clydefrog

Nice. Are you piecing travel together yourself or did you find a package deal? I missed the boat on the AO party, and the package US Soccer directed me to is a bit rich for my blood.

I eded up going the travel package route just to make things easier. I'm only staying for a little bit more than a week though :(

NoRéN

I eded up going the travel package route just to make things easier. I'm only staying for a little bit more than a week though :(

Done that before myself when i was younger. The ease of having everything set up for you provides a peace of mind. This world cup I'm winging it. Getting myself there and figuring out the rest as I go.

Dartastic

wow. 94 is the first world cup I remember vividly.
The 06 cup was the first one I vividly remember. My friends and I had mostly all just graduated college and all had nonexistent/night jobs, so we woke up super early, got plenty of beer to watch the World Cup, sobered up and went to work, rinse repeat. Haha.

The '06 WC was the first one I really remember too. Graduated HS that year and me and my friends got WC fever. Started playing soccer and stuff too, hah. Missed some of the group stage games, but I remember the headbutt.

Jozy and Dempsey both started today for their respective teams, and neither played particularly well. Hope they get going soon. Geoff Cameron got his usual start for Stoke, as well. Johannsson started and scored for AZ - that game is still going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom