• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

Ecotic

"Obamacare should be repealed root and branch." - If nothing happens I hope McConnell gets primaried by a far-right candidate running that quote endlessly on t.v.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
If trumpcare passed, and 24 million people lost coverage, and lets say %1 of those people died from their lack of long term care because they couldn't afford it, thats 240,000 Americans dead because of republican bullshit.

To put that in contrast, there has been less than 3,500 American deaths due to terrorism since 1975 to present day.

240,000 because of republican greed
~ 3,500 because of terrorism

I mean, I know this is a lot of hypotheticals, but sweet Jesus...

Hell, even .1% is 24,000 people!

CazTGG

"Obamacare should be repealed root and branch." - If nothing happens I hope McConnell gets primaried by a far-right candidate running that quote endlessly on t.v.

Mitch isn't up for re-election until 2020. When he does, he'll be running for his seventh term.

Jeffrey

Rumblings are that they see no path to get everyone to agree and are just gonna do a 'show me the body' vote, aka everyone vote against the bill and continue on. Dragging this to fall ain't helping their plans. Maybe a vote this month.

Fun times.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It's basically over. They barely got through the House with a far right bill that throws millions of people off Medicaid before 2018. Now the senate doesn't know what to do with Medicaid, but the one thing they sure as hell won't do is cosign the House's Medicaid gutting.

I don't see why McConnell would even hold a vote. Why put vulnerable senators at risk over this shit.

Need to find a way to keep Trump from turning on them publicly. That's the only reason I could see them continuing this charade.

Tripon

GOP Health Bill Jeopardizes Out-of-Pocket Caps in Employer Plans

Many people who obtain health insurance through their employers—about half of the country—could be at risk of losing protections that limit out-of-pocket costs for catastrophic illnesses, due to a little-noticed provision of the House Republican health-care bill, health-policy experts say.

The provision, part of a last-minute amendment, lets states obtain waivers from certain Affordable Care Act insurance regulations. Insurers in states that obtain the waivers could be freed from a regulation mandating that they cover 10 particular types of health services, among them maternity care, prescription drugs, mental health treatment and hospitalization.

Under the House bill, large employers could choose the benefit requirements from any state—including those that are allowed to lower their benchmarks under a waiver, health analysts said. By choosing a waiver state, employers looking to lower their costs could impose lifetime limits and eliminate the out-of-pocket cost cap from their plans under the GOP legislation.

A company wouldn’t have to do business in a state to choose that state’s benefits level, analysts said. The company could just choose a state to match no matter where it is based.

The measure would give employers added flexibility to take steps that could lower costs by limiting more expensive coverage areas. And it would lessen the federal regulation of insurers, a goal of GOP lawmakers who believe the ACA is an example of government overreach.

The impact on employer plans expands the scope of the health bill to affect, potentially, everyone not insured by Medicare or small-business plans, since the bill also includes cuts to Medicaid and changes to the individual market. Employer health plans are the single largest source of health insurance in the country, with about 159 million Americans receiving coverage through their jobs.

“It’s huge,” said Andy Slavitt, former acting administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services under President Barack Obama. “They’re creating a backdoor way to gut employer plans, too.”

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/872175173964877825

Binabik15

"I voted Trump because Obamacare sucks when I have great coverage from my jerb and Hillary is more of the same!"

Congratulations, you just played yourself.

Eusis

So the problem with health care is rooted in the fact it's employer based... and they'd fuck that up so even the old status quo fails us all?

I hate those monsters and wish my vote could've kept Duncan Hunter out that fucking piece of shit. At least this bill sounds dead in the water now, but fuck.

Edit: ah you are talking about the House bill then yeah... Hopefully...

Everyone needs to call your senators.

Even your link says the Senate has a long way to go before they have an actual bill. They are closer than ever, because they've never been close before lol. But it will probably happen, and it will probably suck whatever piece of shit they come up with. We probably just need to accept that.

sangreal

Even your link says the Senate has a long way to go before they have an actual bill. They are closer than ever, because they've never been close before lol. But it will probably happen, and it will probably suck whatever piece of shit they come up with. We probably just need to accept that.

They're not that far away. They haven't actually written anything but they seem to have come to agreement on the broad strokes other than Medicaid. Or they just decided to stop shitting on the effort publicly

They're not that far away. They haven't actually written anything but they seem to have come to agreement on the broad strokes other than Medicaid. Or they just decided to stop shitting on the effort publicly

It'll have to go back to the House as well, correct? So, I would say it's still got a ways to go, especially if the Freedom Caucus blocks it again if the Senate puts in the more 'moderate' stuff they hated the first time. Although, I could see them all deciding to pass something just to have a legislative win. Like I said, I've kind of accepted that it's going to happen in some form. The fact that they put this shitty AHCA bill up to begin with shows me a determination that is going to get there eventually.

Top Bottom