• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

theWB27

I saw the edit before this and while that was worse, this is still a terrible thing to say to him.

"Yes" That's the only thing that's been said terrible so far. If it becomes law...I hope yall find it in your hearts to stop chastising folks for pointing out facts.

Can someone explain this to me?

If the Conservative position on healthcare is demonstrably more damaging than the alternatives, yet debates have failed to convince the electorate of this truth, then why not pass their bill and let the public understand this truth during their visit to the A&E?
Cause I'd rather not do something so heartless and put people's lives at risk just for a chance if the message finally getting through. I'd naturally rather leave something like that as an absolute last resort, if then.

And the simple fact of the matter is that even if it were passed, the people who currently hate the ACA will most likely just continue to hate it, regardless of how is repeal impacts them. You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into to begin with, even by directly confronting them with the truth.

See: the current economic situation in Kansas, where even after nearly a decade of failed economic policy, despite people experiencing the direct effects of that everyday, that despite those events indeed having an impact on Brownback's ratings, if he were allowed to have another term he'd probably just barely manage to pull off a win again anyway.

There's just no point in even worrying about whether they ever actually get the message or not. All we can do is continue trying to do the right thing, with or without them.

Cause I'd rather not do something so heartless and put people's lives at risk just for a chance if the message finally getting through. I'd naturally rather leave something like that as an absolute last resort, if then.

And the simple fact of the matter is that even if it were passed, the people who currently hate the ACA will most likely just continue to hate it, regardless of how is repeal impacts them. You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into to begin with, even by directly confronting them with the truth.

See: the current economic situation in Kansas, where even after nearly a decade of failed economic policy, despite people experiencing the direct effects of that everyday, that despite those events indeed having an impact on Brownback's ratings, if he were allowed to have another term he'd probably just barely manage to pull off a win again anyway.

There's just no point in even worrying about whether they ever actually get the message or not. All we can do is continue trying to do the right thing, with or without them.

Agreed. You do the right thing because it's the right thing. Fuck everything else. People wanting to be spiteful to the idiots that voted for this and will be effected by it makes a lot of sense, but it's not a path forward. There's a certain level of irrationality at play here that won't go away. The right wing media convinced a lot of people that Obama is the devil and nothing is ever going to convince them that he wasn't, even if Obamacare saved their life.

Buckle

Sometimes you have to let people hit rock bottom before they'll actually turn their life around.

Constantly saving them and leading them to make the same destructive mistakes and hurt other people, can't say I don't sympathize with those who feel people who voted for Trump need to learn a lesson in that regard.

There's more than enough rage to go around. I'm not absolving anyone of anything.

You don't see how coming in a thread about people losing their health insurance, and someone saying "haha, at least it's people who live in [your state] isn't just a little bit shitty? This isn't a game. People are going to die. Lives are going to be upended. I've spent the last twenty four hours mostly talking with people who know shit how I'm going to arrange my life once I can no longer get the care I need.

And if you think it's remotely acceptable to say that it amuses you that the people affected live in states like mine, I don't know what to tell you.
Cad, if you're going to continue criticizing my post, I would appreciate you do it directly instead of attacking me via strawmen in response to people who merely came to my defense.

You're attempting to portray that snark as mocking your situation. You know that was not the intent, but let me reiterate that I have sympathy for those like you who are going to suffer if AHCA comes to pass. It's undeniably shitty a situation, and I'm sorry you have to deal with what you're describing. I relate to what you're going through on a very significant personal level, more than I am going to bother revealing.

This sympathy does not extend to those who voted for this. Yes, I am aware people will die and lives will be ruined. I would rather this weren't the case. It's why I donated when I didn't really have the money, volunteered when I was depressed and dispirited for reasons completely unrelated to politics, and most importantly it's why I voted for the only option that would have prevented this situation we find ourselves in while doing my damnedest to convince others to follow suit.

Yet here we are.

So, if there has to be pain and misery and death then I hope it affects those largely responsible for it. In fact, if the people who voted for this nonsense did not suffer I would consider that the great tragedy. My wish is that they either realize their mistake or die before having a chance to make it again and inflict more pain on others. Either is fine with me, and I am utterly unashamed for feeling this way. Unabashed. Unapologetic. I don't give a shit. I have zero concern for the voters in red states who, through a cocktail of ignorance and bigotry, continue causing harm to millions both alive now and those yet to be born.

You called my post before last "reprehensible", so you likely take issue with everything I just said. That's your prerogative; I'm not trying to sway your opinion, I'm not running for office and I'm certainly not trying to be whatever idea you seem to have for a moral democrat. My advice to you is simply ignore my posts if they bother you so. Even better, save the outrage for the people with the hand to your back pushing you into traffic, not the person wishing they might slip and tumble in themselves.

I dunno that strategy has been working out well for conservatives for like…ever

I'm going to refer to Patton Oswalt's bit about respecting someone else's beliefs versus simply acknowledging them. Respect is earned, and you absolutely do not have to respect somebody who believes something you think is horseshit.
It's also illuminating that his first post in the thread is about defending a lawmaker who voted for this instead of the millions of citizens who he fucked over with his vote. But he's a veteran and automatically deserves respect for every action he ever does is the conservative belief so, here we are. Not to mention veterans will be fucked over by the law.

When you've gotta shit on people for making jokes about a person who's sentencing millions to debt and death but not raise a finger to defend the powerless when they're crying out to stop it. Gotta love it.

You realize this is a moronic clickbait article right? Most people don't read literally every word of a document, they have people who work for them read it and then sum it up and point out things that would be of importance to them.

You were saying?

C_DnoehU0AEVUin.jpg:large

mango drank

The USA experiment has failed.

Time to get started on building Esthar, and hiding ourselves from the rest of the world, which is descending into a new dark age. The visigoths are in control, crowdsurfing on a sea of mind-controlled zombies.

Seriously. I want to splinter off from the rest of society. I can't live here. Shit I'll go to Mars right now, I don't care.

estharcity.jpg

Crosseyes

Banned
Ugh got back some fucking automated response from my representative as one of those "on the fence" guys that tried telling me why this plan is just great for us!
Eliminates the individual and employer mandate penalties, which had the government force millions of workers, families, and job creators into expensive, inadequate ACA plans that they don't want and cannot afford.

Dismantles the ACA taxes that have hurt job creators, increased premium costs, and limited options for patients and health care providers.

Guarantees coverage to all Americans with pre-existing conditions and bans health insurers from charging a patient with pre-existing conditions higher premiums as long as they maintain continuous coverage, or sign up for new coverage within 63 days of exiting a previous insurance plan. (Regrettably, there has been a lot of misinformation spread about this bill, especially regarding how the bill protects people with pre-existing conditions. Here is the truth: Under no circumstance can people be denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition. Current law prohibiting pricing customers based on health status remains in place and can only be waived by a state if that state has chosen to take care of the people through other risk-sharing or reinsurance mechanisms. Even if a state asks for, and is granted a waiver, no person may be priced based on health status if they have maintained continuous health coverage.)

Helps young adults access health insurance and stabilize the marketplace by allowing dependents to continue staying on their parents' plan until they are 26.

Modernizes and strengthens Medicaid so the state can better serve our Iowa neighbors and patients who are most in need.

Empowers individuals and families to spend their health care dollars the way they want and need by enhancing and expanding Health Savings Accounts (HSAs).

Help Americans access affordable, quality health care by providing a monthly tax credit-between $2,000 and $14,000 a year for low-and middle-income individuals and families who don't receive insurance through work or a government program.
He got back a much more aggressive response this time rather than the polite pleading through his email. Death threat your constituency and they'll respond in kind.

Mr_Moogle

Time to get started on building Esthar, and hiding ourselves from the rest of the world, which is descending into a new dark age. The visigoths are in control, crowdsurfing on a sea of mind-controlled zombies.

Seriously. I want to splinter off from the rest of society. I can't live here. Shit I'll go to Mars right now, I don't care.

estharcity.jpg

Yeah but Esthar's president is nearly just as stupid as Trump ;)

Maybe survival of the fittest is the only way for some Republicans to actually realize their voting against their own interests.

But this will only work if the media isn't in the control of Republicans - they can easily spin anything bad into good.

estharcity.jpg

What? Lol... So I guess you'd be up for starting a Gofundme campaign for an artificial island?

Got

Banned
Cad, if you're going to continue criticizing my post, I would appreciate you do it directly instead of attacking me via strawmen in response to people who merely came to my defense.

You're attempting to portray that snark as mocking your situation. You know that was not the intent, but let me reiterate that I have sympathy for those like you who are going to suffer if AHCA comes to pass. It's undeniably shitty a situation, and I'm sorry you have to deal with what you're describing. I relate to what you're going through on a very significant personal level, more than I am going to bother revealing.

This sympathy does not extend to those who voted for this. Yes, I am aware people will die and lives will be ruined. I would rather this weren't the case. It's why I donated when I didn't really have the money, volunteered when I was depressed and dispirited for reasons completely unrelated to politics, and most importantly it's why I voted for the only option that would have prevented this situation we find ourselves in while doing my damnedest to convince others to follow suit.

Yet here we are.

So, if there has to be pain and misery and death then I hope it affects those largely responsible for it. In fact, if the people who voted for this nonsense did not suffer I would consider that the great tragedy. My wish is that they either realize their mistake or die before having a chance to make it again and inflict more pain on others. Either is fine with me, and I am utterly unashamed for feeling this way. Unabashed. Unapologetic. I don't give a shit. I have zero concern for the voters in red states who, through a cocktail of ignorance and bigotry, continue causing harm to millions both alive now and those yet to be born.

You called my post before last "reprehensible", so you likely take issue with everything I just said. That's your prerogative; I'm not trying to sway your opinion, I'm not running for office and I'm certainly not trying to be whatever idea you seem to have for a moral democrat. My advice to you is simply ignore my posts if they bother you so. Even better, save the outrage for the people with the hand to your back pushing you into traffic, not the person wishing they might slip and tumble in themselves.

a-men

Yet here we are.

Pretty much. I feel for people who voted blue but are still going to get screwed, some of my family is in that boat.

Call me heartless or inhumane but I really do not give a single fuck for Trump supporters who are getting screwed over. I'm done with the whole coddling and saving Republicans from their stupidity over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Cycle has to break one day

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Pretty much. I feel for people who voted blue but are still going to get screwed, some of my family is in that boat.

Call me heartless or inhumane but I really do not give a single fuck for Trump supporters who are getting screwed over. I'm done with the whole coddling and saving Republicans from their stupidity over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Cycle has to break one day

Basically how me and my wife feel. She's still reeling that her favorite Aunt voted for Trump. Her favorite aunt that's the most progressive, liberal, feminists of her family, yet she didn't give a fuck enough about other people to keep him out of office. She's a 60 something white woman living on a farm with dwindling health, but she voted for Trump. I try to feel something, but I just don't. I feel for my wife, because this really upsets her, but I'm done feeling sorry for Republicans cutting off their noses to spite their face (and brown people, of course). I'm over it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Basically how me and my wife feel. She's still reeling that her favorite Aunt voted for Trump. Her favorite aunt that's the most progressive, liberal, feminists of her family, yet she didn't give a fuck enough about other people to keep him out of office. She's a 60 something white woman living on a farm with dwindling health, but she voted for Trump. I try to feel something, but I just don't. I feel for my wife, because this really upsets her, but I'm done feeling sorry for Republicans cutting off their noses to spite their face (and brown people, of course). I'm over it.
Yeah, people like that get no sympathy from me.

Sean C

Do we have confirmation that the Senate can get this through reconciliation? It seems like that shouldn't be the case
The Senate is going to draft its own bill, so whether it's eligible for reconciliation will have to wait on the details.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
You were saying?

C_DnoehU0AEVUin.jpg:large
This is the same asshole who tried to get a massive tax cut for everyone who lived in NY state outside of NYC by requiring that all upstate hospitals cost be fully paid for by the NY state more or less based on the Tax revenue the state receives from New York City residents.

So fuck him I hope he loses his job

Link

The Autumn Wind
This is the same asshole who tried to get a massive tax cut for everyone who lived in NY state outside of NYC by requiring that all upstate hospitals cost be fully paid for by the NY state more or less based on the Tax revenue the state receives from New York City residents.

So fuck him I hope he loses his job
They're really gonna go with the "I didn't know what I was signing!" excuse, huh? I'm not sure which is worse: That they're doing it, or that it will probably work with their idiot base.

Supast4r

Lol at grouping GOP and ISIS together. The thing is, even if the AHCA might "kill" thousands of people, GOP politicians still aren't "evil". People who prefer smaller goverment and less social welfare aren't evil. Wealthier people who advocate for policies that might relatively hurt poorer people more aren't evil. It's unfortunate that they have the beliefs that they have, but they have every right to have their own opinions of things and you know what? Around half of the Americans support most of their policies.

"Everybody is on their own, no goverment handouts" policies what GOP tends to have are pretty reasonable policies in my opinion. I certainly don't approve them and I realize that I'm very fortunate to live in a country that has great social security, but I also understand that not everyone agrees with what is the responsibility of the goverment.

Semi OT:
I think what is most worrying is the polarization of the American politics. The political system is a mess, both sides accuse each other about everything and the politicians do everything to rile up their base against the other. The amount of fake news, half-truths and false narratives, mostly from the right but a lot from the left as well is ridiculous. Even in GAF the quality of political discussion went way down during the election cycle and it has stayed down ever since. The two party system in USA just doesn't work and that just sucks since there doesn't really seem to be a place for a new party.

/endrant
This post OOZES so much white privledge that it's insane. THere has been 25 non combat related terrorist deaths to Americans worldwide. 1000s will die from these AHCA provisions but you probably don't care

(http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-terrorism-statistics-every-american-needs-to-hear/5382818)

Hoping and taking on faith that states and insurance companies will do the right thing? That's really what she said.

Is that where we are now? We are willing to put millions of lives in jeopardy, backstopped by nothing but hope? To save a few dollars and/or spite Obama?

FYI, GAF: hope is not a business tactic.

Republicans: "Got ours. Fuck you. But maybe if you have faith, you can eat cake crumbs."

No wonder they love religious illiterates. You can rob them blind, but as long as you tell them the hateful, cynical shit they want to hear, they will cut off their nose to spite their face.

RDreamer

He assumes the Senate would pass the bill that passed the House, even at 51 votes . That's a bold assumption.

I really don't think he cares. He has no clue what's in the house bill at all. He just wants a win and to be able to say he repealed Obamacare.

They should do that shit. And the Republicans better pray they have the Presidency forever.

Legislative filibuster gone + dem control = Medicare for all. Thanks Don!

rjinaz

Those pesky democrats not giving tax breaks to the already ridiculously wealthy which would result in the loss of multiple social programs and welfare, and for trying to provide insurance coverage options for all Americans and not just those that are well off.

Democrats too.

Zolo

Legislative filibuster gone + dem control = Medicare for all. Thanks Don!

Yep. Trump doesn't have to care about it since the presidency's his only political thing, and he doesn't care about the future. Republicans in the senate actually have to worry about the consequences of doing so.

Top Bottom