• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

slit

Lol at grouping GOP and ISIS together. The thing is, even if the AHCA might "kill" thousands of people, GOP politicians still aren't "evil". People who prefer smaller goverment and less social welfare aren't evil. Wealthier people who advocate for policies that might relatively hurt poorer people more aren't evil. It's unfortunate that they have the beliefs that they have, but they have every right to have their own opinions of things and you know what? Around half of the Americans support most of their policies.

This isn't about opinions and it's disingenuous of you to pretend like it is nor is any percentage of public support indicative of whether or not something is moral. These politicians have two options, they know the outcome of each: 1) People lose their health insurance and die, there is no "might" in that statement, it WILL happen. 2) They allow people to continue to traverse an imperfect system which we can improve with their help. They choose option 1 and that is evil. Running around and blowing things up isn't the only source of evil.

FyreWulff

so uh when was the last time a president held a PR camera get together when a bill just made it out of the house in phase 1?

approximately never?

just looked that guy up

this is his twitter picture:

58a99b541420798debe99ac30fd5be34.jpg

this looks like a Marvel Studios scene where Hydra agents get revealed in public https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/860240955311624194

what a fucking joke

You're making fun of a veteran who lost both legs to an IED in Afghanistan. His picture is him releasing an eagle at what would appear to be some sort of nature reserve. And he is being questioned while walking on two prosthetic legs-it seems like he really did not want to be interviewed.

He released a statement about his thoughts on the bill:
https://mast.house.gov/2017/5/mast-statement-on-american-health-care-act

Just because you may disagree with someone doesn't mean that you shouldn't respect them.

BBboy20

You're making fun of a veteran who lost both legs to an IED in Afghanistan. His picture is him releasing an eagle at what would appear to be some sort of nature reserve. And he is being questioned while walking on two prosthetic legs-it seems like he really did not want to be interviewed.

Just because you may disagree with someone doesn't mean that you shouldn't respect them.
If this bill murders Americans, his suffering is suppose to give him a pass from absolute scorn?

KingV

Ah, yes. Republicans are known for giving Tammy Duckworth all the respect in the world as a disabled vet as well, right?

He is lying through his teeth in the statement because the bill is going to be devastating for people with preexisting conditions. This is going to be obvious in a week or so when the CBO score comes out.

Brinbe

Fucking embarrassing. They just passed something, that they didn't even read or expect to become law just so they can say they did "something" and hope to get voted back in.

Your fucking government is broken, folks. And the idiots that keep continually voting these same morons back in are responsible.

Exile20

This isn't going to pass in the senate right? They barely passed it in the house where they have a huge advantage. Many republican are not happy with it so if 3 out of the 52 voted against it this bill is done.
It will change considerably. They only did this so Trump can get momentum.

Is this a joke post? How about he start respecting the people he represents by providing a reason for voting for a bill that could take away their healthcare?

Unbelievable.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Lol at grouping GOP and ISIS together. The thing is, even if the AHCA might "kill" thousands of people, GOP politicians still aren't "evil".
Bullshit. While I don't believe in good and evil as cosmic opposing forces like most people, they are certainly deliberately malicious. If they weren't, they wouldn't constantly vote to improve their own lot in life with taxpayer money, while voting to harm vulnerable groups.

Their desire for small government and fiscal responsibility is obviously bullshit too as they vote for regulations and spending to help their friends and donars.

They always run larger deficits and increase the national debt. And when their policies fail on that front, they lie about it and try to implement the exact same thing again. They constantly vote to take more from the most vulnerable people, and give it to the most privlidged.

And to reach their goals, they almost universally support voter suppression efforts and other methods of undermining the democratic process. This is also the same party that impeached Bill Clinton for perjury, but won't even engage honestly with an investigation of a likely traitor in the Whitehouse. Even without the Russia espionage, he's admited to sex crimes on tape, been guilty of racist policy in regards to his property, regularly been photographed spending time with known criminals (and renting to them), while also being implicated in rape.

The list goes on much much longer than that, yet most of the GOP fights tooth and nail to get his agenda passed. His voters are better off than most, but will support policies that harm themselves because they are blinded by their own hatred of verious disadvantaged groups.

So no, I'm not going to make believe these are just people voting on their economic anxieties. It's all one big fucking lie.

Hard for me to respect anyone in the GOP or DNC that is against the U.S. having a first world single payer healthcare system.

How is this even close to obamacare lite? The two bills are nothing similar. Trumpcare is heinous. A lot of people stand to lose coverage or get denied because of their bs which include people with pre existing conditions such as rape, postpartum depression, cesarean sections, and domestic violence. Also companies can also deny coverage for gynecological services and mammograms. Also on top of that this Trumpcare, will strip Medicaid funding for special needs and disabled students.
It's far worse than Obamacare; and that's saying something... because ACA was not a move in the right but a move in the wrong direction (strengthening private insurance companies - middle men who do not need to exist) - but I can't ever knock more people having access AND pre-existing conditions being covered. So while I think it is a net negative and puts us farther away from singlepayer, this Trumpcare is just an abomination and just shows how elitist, corporate classes care nothing about ordinary people.

MarionCB

The overwhelming feeling I get watching this unfold, as an Australian, is the same as witnessing a disaster overseas and watching another country coming to terms with it. With the harm it causes and the inhuman, senseless tragedy. Something like an earthquake or a tsunami. Except, this has been deliberately inflicted upon the country by the Republicans and at a scale no natural disaster can impact.

This AHCA bill is filled with line after line of undiluted evil wrought upon the American people, with the exception of the wealthy earning over $200,000 getting money from it. Which will be one of the greatest transfers of wealth from poor to rich contained in one bill in US history. Something like $300 billion apparently. This is the sole reason for this bill. Money for the wealthy at the expense of pain and death for the less wealthy.

And then I watch images of the Republican House gloating and clapping themselves on the back after passing it.

That is what I call evil. There is no other word for it.

Got

Banned

well, he wasted both those legs in a worthless conflict and still continues to be a dolt even after his encounter with a fucked policy of killing other people in a country for no reason. he's a fucking idiot who can't seem to learn.

BajiBoxer

Banned

I won't respect him because of all of what I wrote above. Him losing his legs doesn't excuse him from voting to end American lives. No matter what he was before, he's a traitor to this country now.

Hard for me to respect anyone in the GOP or DNC that is against the U.S. having a first world single payer healthcare system.

Oh for fucks sake. Are you REALLY going to lump democrats in with these scumbag Republicans just because the Dems don't pretend that we can go to single payer through a snap of the fingers?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

All the more reason the dude should know better and realize that the Healthcare he relied upon to get his life back after losing his legs may soon be stripped from millions of Americans.

Branduil

It's a shame they only got his legs.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

What a weak sauce answer.

Welp, literally sad that an American wasn't shot in the head or heart. I'm out of this thread. The hate in here is too strong.

You're literally becoming what you claim to hate.

Now imagine the hate that permeates the GOP among the population and in elected offices throughout the US.

Branduil

Welp, literally sad that an American wasn't shot in the head or heart. I'm out of this thread. The hate in here is too strong.

You're literally becoming what you claim to hate.

That ghoul voted to murder thousands of people. He seems like the kind of person who only joins the army in the first place because he gets off on watching people die. Why the fuck should I respect a murdering fascist, whose goal is to kill people I care about? Why should I not wish that the world had less of such people?

It's a shame they only got his legs.
Please don't.

Like yeah I get where you are coming from since this scumbag voted to take away healthcare from millions, but:

1) It's not okay implicitly say it's a shame they didn't get murdered.

2) Even IF he had Hypothetically been killed, it would have just been another republican just like him that would have voted for the AHCA.

Oh for fucks sake. Are you REALLY going to lump democrats in with these scumbag Republicans just because the Dems don't pretend that we can go to single payer through a snap of the fingers?

Did I say they were the same? No.

Only that in regards to this I have no respect for 100% of one side and 80% of the other.

Obamacare was a bandage covered in feces taped to the bullet would of American healthcare.

It was great for insurance companies, and a bunch of uninsurable people, but that's it. So yes it was better than nothing. However it wasn't even close to a fix, and I don't believe it would ever be on the path to one even if the had Dems dominated the 2016 election.

Seems kinda hypocritical to me to fight overseas for the country and then vote for millions to die through Healthcare tbh, especially when if he didn't have his own coverage he'd probably be homeless or dead right now.

I don't wish death upon him or anything like that but I certainly do not respect him.

Now imagine the hate that permeates the GOP among the population and in elected offices throughout the US.

I didn't say it was a good thing.

That ghoul voted to murder thousands of people. He seems like the kind of person who only joins the army in the first place because he gets off on watching people die. Why the fuck should I respect a murdering fascist, whose goal is to kill people I care about? Why should I not wish that the world had less of such people?

Because you sound equally as bad as who you're condemning. And I'm not going to make assumptions about why he joined the military.

Please don't.

Like yeah I get where you are coming from since this scumbag voted to take away healthcare from millions, but:

1) It's not okay implicitly say it's a shame they didn't get murdered.

2) Even IF he had Hypothetically been killed, it would have just been another republican just like him that would have voted for the AHCA.

Thank you.

I didn't say it was a good thing.
Yeah but someone venting their anger, fear, and frustration over people actively voting to destroy their lives will never be as bad as someone actually voting to destroy other people's lives and then actually celebrating over it.

One is an understandable, if not harsh, reaction. Another is pure evil.

Only that in regards to this I have no respect for 100% of one side and 80% of the other.

Obamacare was a bandage covered in feces taped to the bullet would of American healthcare.

It was great for insurance companies, and a bunch of uninsurable people, but that's it. So yes it was better than nothing. However it wasn't even close to a fix, and I don't believe it would ever be on the path to one even if the had Dems dominated the 2016 election.

Are you aware of Republican obstruction and the fact that Obamacare had to be compromised heavily on? They literally would not be able to pass it if it was any more left than it was, hell some centrist democrats wouldn't have been on board with it.

It was great for insurance companies, and a bunch of uninsurable people. So yes it was better than nothing. However it wasn't even close to a fix, and I don't believe it would ever be on the path to one even if the had Dems dominated the 2016 election.

Bullshit. The ACA helped MILLIONS get access to healthcare and put a lot of much needed regulations on insurance companies.

And it also was designed in such a way that it can easily have a Public Option and Medicare expansion added, which is the most important step to ever getting anywhere close to Single Payer in the US.

And no one claimed that the ACA was meant as the be all end all, but rather as a major step towards Universal Healthcare Coverage.

All the more reason the dude should know better and realize that the Healthcare he relied upon to get his life back after losing his legs may soon be stripped from millions of Americans.

My grandfather was a medal of honor recipient and as an avid sportsman was a prominent member of the NRA (back when that was what they stood for). But he believed in dignity for all of humanity no matter how poor they were. If he were alive today he would be absolutely disgusted by the modern Republican party.

Bullshit. The ACA helped MILLIONS get access to healthcare and put a lot of much needed regulations on insurance companies.

And it also was designed in such a way that it can easily have a Public Option and Medicare expansion added, which is the most important step to ever getting anywhere close to Single Payer in the US.

And no one claimed that the ACA was meant as the be all end all, but rather as a major step towards Universal Healthcare Coverage.

Yup. Hell, the original ACA bill was basically a few line items away from also having a public option. It was always a step, never the end all be all. There was no way such a fix could be implemented in the US overnight like that given how shit healthcare is here.

And FUCK Joe Lieberman. What a piece of shit.

My grandfather was a medal of honor recipient and as an avid sportsman was a prominent member of the NRA (back when that was what they stood for). But he believed in dignity for all of humanity no matter how poor they were. If he were alive today he would be absolutely disgusted by the modern Republican party.

A lot of people would be. Look at the Republican debates from 20 years ago and how they discussed immigration and health.

Ogodei

Ratings. A triumphant moment is drama and spectacle.

Also it's an issue of burying the lede. The Reuters article's headline is about a "kinder, gentler Trump" (basically saying that he acted like a normal president this time instead of making Twitter threats to dissenters) but if you actually read most of these articles, they mention that the bill faces an uncertain fate in the Senate.

It's the symptom of the media as a whole, the hot take is the headline while the reality is in the body, but the hot take is the only thing that crafts the narrative (like with Clinton's emails).

Well I respect him for his service but not for his vote on this bill. Also his vote pretty much fucks over vets now.

Top Bottom