• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US House votes to adopt AHCA (Republican health care); bill moves to Senate

JaggedSac

You're making fun of a veteran who lost both legs to an IED in Afghanistan. His picture is him releasing an eagle at what would appear to be some sort of nature reserve. And he is being questioned while walking on two prosthetic legs-it seems like he really did not want to be interviewed.

He released a statement about his thoughts on the bill:
https://mast.house.gov/2017/5/mast-statement-on-american-health-care-act

Just because you may disagree with someone doesn't mean that you shouldn't respect them.

Lol, $140 billion over, and I could be mistaken, 10 years for the high-risk pools. I believe the estimates would say that $100 billion is needer PER YEAR to make those pools work.

What is the likelihood that if something like this passes, that states can implement their own health care plans that keep the spirit of Obamacare running?

MA already has something similar.

I believe Nevada also has some bills going through the state congress now to keep essential health benefits and protect those with pre existing conditions. So the states picking up the slack is definitely a possibility.

robochimp

What is the likelihood that if something like this passes, that states can implement their own health care plans that keep the spirit of Obamacare running?

The problem is money, States have to have a balanced budget. Shifting an entire industry at the state level is going to require money being pulled from somewhere else be it taxes education funding, infrastructure spending and so on. No one is going to want their economy to take that hit.

Since the Federal government doesn't have those restraints you really want it to be done at that level.

fb_img_149400303050893kec.jpg

You're making fun of a veteran who lost both legs to an IED in Afghanistan. His picture is him releasing an eagle at what would appear to be some sort of nature reserve. And he is being questioned while walking on two prosthetic legs-it seems like he really did not want to be interviewed.

Just because you may disagree with someone doesn't mean that you shouldn't respect them.

I dunno that strategy has been working out well for conservatives for like…ever

Loxley

I'm going to refer to Patton Oswalt's bit about respecting someone else's beliefs versus simply acknowledging them. Respect is earned, and you absolutely do not have to respect somebody who believes something you think is horseshit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Get it out of the Senate... Only to go back to the House and feel the wrath of the Tea Baggers again.

He's not a magician.

He doesn't have to be a magician. He only has to get a bill back to the house.

It's a near certainty that republicans in the freedom caucus aren't going to want to be the only thing standing between the repeal of obama care. Even if it's not cruel enough for their liking they still vote to pass it because not doing so will ruin the wet dream of all republicans. They aren't going to be seen as the group that refused to repeal obamacare. These are the guys that benefit most with their base for repealing.

Honestly the only way to stop this from passing now is to put enough pressure and fear into the GOP that they are going to lose their jobs that most of them decide this isn't the hill they want to die on and back off Obamacare. Their constituents might have originally wanted to repeal the black man's law and further erase the presidency of Obama but now that they know how much it will fuck them they are starting to back off.

Now more than ever is the time to be very loud and obnoxious about this bill. Need to continue to call, show up to town halls, and raise tons of money for Democratic challengers to ALL GOP controlled house seats.

Maledict

They are.

Pod save America said otherwise. Basically the congressional exemption is a separate bit of legislation that cannot be completed under reconciliation, so therefor needs 60 votes in the senate - and it's never getting 60 votes in the senate.

Eusis

Well, even my rep broke ranks to vote no.

Good fucking bye to any rep who voted yay in a deep blue state though
A lot of old pieces of shit in North County San Diego would probably still vote at least Duncan Hunter in, and I've seen some young assholes wearing MAGA hats and Trump shirts. Issa is probably toast though as he only barely won, likely partially because of that Comey shit.

pigeon

Banned
Pod save America said otherwise. Basically the congressional exemption is a separate bit of legislation that cannot be completed under reconciliation, so therefor needs 60 votes in the senate - and it's never getting 60 votes in the senate.

Which senator is going to want to go on record as being for the congressional exemption?

RaidenZR

I'm on mobile but I'll drop this here.
I AM CACKLING

pg6o14U.jpg

e3LIXb1.jpg

It's not funny. It's more tragic day by day, and the fact that the administration campaigned on helping those people affected by opiod epidemic are now suddenly turning around and doing more damage is nothing any of us should chuckle about.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Why would democrats filibuster it?

That Trump tweet came not 5 minutes after a CNN segment regarding his comments where they were taking him to task btw

the tweet doesn't have the same tone of his normal tweets (basically no words are in all caps etc) so i'm going to assume it's an aide/staffer and not him directly tweeting

that said, it's not 3am so why is he watching tv mid day

oh right, he doesn't know how to do anything else

The overwhelming feeling I get watching this unfold, as an Australian, is the same as witnessing a disaster overseas and watching another country coming to terms with it. With the harm it causes and the inhuman, senseless tragedy. Something like an earthquake or a tsunami. Except, this has been deliberately inflicted upon the country by the Republicans and at a scale no natural disaster can impact.

This AHCA bill is filled with line after line of undiluted evil wrought upon the American people, with the exception of the wealthy earning over $200,000 getting money from it. Which will be one of the greatest transfers of wealth from poor to rich contained in one bill in US history. Something like $300 billion apparently. This is the sole reason for this bill. Money for the wealthy at the expense of pain and death for the less wealthy.

And then I watch images of the Republican House gloating and clapping themselves on the back after passing it.

That is what I call evil. There is no other word for it.

What a post, deserves to be reposted.

DietRob

I'm on mobile but I'll drop this here.
I AM CACKLING

https://i.imgur.com/pg6o14U.jpg/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/e3LIXb1.jpg/img][/QUOTE]

Bruh, I'm not sure why you would be 'cackling'. This is NOT GOOD at all. I mean I guess 'cackling' is a good defense mechanism to avoid weeping.

Can someone explain this to me?

If the Conservative position on healthcare is demonstrably more damaging than the alternatives, yet debates have failed to convince the electorate of this truth, then why not pass their bill and let the public understand this truth during their visit to the A&E?

DietRob

Who's affected most by opioids??

They call it 'hillbilly heroin' for a good reason. White rurals ie.. Trump voters.

Can someone explain this to me?

If the Conservative position on healthcare is demonstrably more damaging than the alternatives, yet debates have failed to convince the electorate of this truth, then why not pass their bill and let the public understand this truth during their visit to the A&E?

Is this the new elect Trump for the lulz and to teach people a lesson?

I would rather not irreparably ruin peoples lives in order to teach conservatives a lesson. When is the last time a conservative was convinced of anything at all that opposed their world view. I've been trying for 25 years to convince my conservative family of certain truths and have never succeeded.

malfcn

On the radio they said Kaiser did an early projection on biggest savings and increases.

A healthy mid 20s could save $2,000.
An elderly 70s would have a $40,000 increase.

Nailed it.

He did, Aaron voted for Hillary. Your anger should be directed at all your fellow red state'ers who voted against their best interest because like...they're the reason you're losing your health insurance.

Or continue to point your anger at everyone but those responsible.

There's more than enough rage to go around. I'm not absolving anyone of anything.

You don't see how coming in a thread about people losing their health insurance, and someone saying "haha, at least it's people who live in [your state] isn't just a little bit shitty? This isn't a game. People are going to die. Lives are going to be upended. I've spent the last twenty four hours mostly talking with people who know shit how I'm going to arrange my life once I can no longer get the care I need.

And if you think it's remotely acceptable to say that it amuses you that the people affected live in states like mine, I don't know what to tell you.

studyguy

On the radio they said Kaiser did an early projection on biggest savings and increases.

Nailed it.

An elderly in his 70s could arguably save much much more by simply dropping dead too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

theWB27

They call it 'hillbilly heroin' for a good reason. White rurals ie.. Trump voters.

Is this the new elect Trump for the lulz and to teach people a lesson?

I would rather not irreparably ruin peoples lives in order to teach conservatives a lesson. When is the last time a conservative was convinced of anything at all that opposed their world view. I've been trying for 25 years to convince my conservative family of certain truths and have never succeeded.

That's what I thought. People can be offended at the cackle all they want...at a point all you can do is cackle when people keep fucking voting against their best interest.

Facts don't work. Their families losing shit doesn't work. Losing jobs doesn't work. Nothing works to convince these people that republicans don't give a shit about you.

Also...give me a break calling out forum posters on GAF because of their reaction. If an ounce of your ire is directed anywhere other than the policy makers making your lives worse then you're doing it wrong.

Republicans love it when they know you're blaming anyone else about anything because it's the same BS they pull. Blame or point a finger at the person who has nothing to do with your situation being the way it is.

There's more than enough rage to go around. I'm not absolving anyone of anything.

You don't see how coming in a thread about people losing their health insurance, and someone saying "haha, at least it's people who live in [your state] isn't just a little bit shitty? This isn't a game. People are going to die. Lives are going to be upended. I've spent the last twenty four hours mostly talking with people who know shit how I'm going to arrange my life once I can no longer get the care I need.

And if you think it's remotely acceptable to say that it amuses you that the people affected live in states like mine, I don't know what to tell you.

You're fucked whether or not he says "Oh no" or "Whelp that's what they voted for lol".

Jesus H Christ.
This is seguing from funny to just profane.
Once again, all that talk, and they will literally kill the agency at the spearhead of combating Opioid abuse. Better build some more prisons I guess.

Yea it's almost as if republicans really don't give a fuck about poor white people.

Bruh, I'm not sure why you would be 'cackling'. This is NOT GOOD at all. I mean I guess 'cackling' is a good defense mechanism to avoid weeping.

I'm cackling because like always, racism ALWAYS ends up fucking over white people eventually.

I'm cackling because the political party who made a pillar of the southern strategy revolve around framing drugs, users, addicts as something happening to "black people" to get America to be for the war on drugs and the resulting apathy towards drug users is the same party who doesn't give a fuck if it happens to white folks either.

It's almost as if the shit black folks have been trying to warn poor white folks about for ages is actually happening. It's almost like...Repubs don't give a damn about white poor folks.

Only difference is now there is no safety net (democrats) that protect them from voting against their own interest and fucking themselves over. Instead of the slow erosion that happens due to republican fuckery while demos are in charge but laying the blame on democrats is no longer a thing. People are going to see that it is republicans who hate their "freedom", and all other abused phrases. Maybe this will make them realize that despite all the gas republicans pump them up with, that these poor white folks are no better in any capacity than black folks, and that these laws are fucked and that republicans do not give a fuck about them.

If only there was another political group who had been advocating to helping these poor folks for at least 15 years...

If only.

As much as I would enjoy the irony of Republic stronghold all losing their coverage because their states won't/can't afford to pick up the slack, I know their constituents will just keep using it as an excuse to push for abolishing health care altogether. They've sufficiently proven their vote exists only as hateful little mess of spite to lash out at people they perceive as being better off than themselves as it is.

gazele

Banned

Nailed it.

Great...and with no mandate why would a healthy mid 20's person get insurance at all?

Anyone know if there's any CBO estimate timeline?

Do we have confirmation that the Senate can get this through reconciliation? It seems like that shouldn't be the case

Top Bottom