• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2016 [OT] Bodies ache, but New York will not wait. [Tennis]

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
tennis saw some very dark times in the first half of 2016, but the year is ending on a hopeful note. no wimbledon, olympics, cincinnati or us open for djokovic is something to be grateful of.

Speevy

Banned
tumblr_nkykj0XxvR1qgfbkmo3_500.gif

Kensuke

It wasn't the RG performance. More errors than winners. But he was a mental beast tonight. Dealt with the loss of the first set, dealt with Djokovic breaking back, dealt with pretty much all BP's. He just knows he can beat Djokovic.

scarlet

Yonex just need to make another ugly outfit for Stan next year at Wimbledon to complete his career slam!

Stan hates grass

Hazzuh

I didn't bother watching this assuming it would just be Djokovic walking over Stan. Goddamnit lol. Was it actually a good match?

Kensuke

Never expected Stan to be holding that trophy 2 weeks ago. What could have been a terrible tournament because op the top half of the schedule turned out to be worthwhile after all.

Diamond

Djokovic, Nadal for the AO
Federer, Djokovic for the FO
Djokovic again here

Pretty ridiculous.

Plus, it's easy to forget now but he was 1 match point down against a fired up Evans a few days ago. Could have been a very different outcome.

Is that the actual prize money cheque or a fake for the ceremony?

i actually don't know but i think it's real.
there are prize money offices at the grounds of a grand slam where players have to go and then they write you a cheque right there and then, so it doesn't seem too farfetched that they give out actual cheques. he probably still has to get it signed or whatever (i don't know how cheques work).

Hats off to Stan, massive performance after a slow start. Didn't think he played too well all tournament - especially against Evans, where he saved match point - but he turned it on when the pressure was applied by Nishikori, and tonight he went off in the second set and never really looked back. The consistent raw power off both wings is completely unmatched in tennis and shows why the one-handed backhand shouldn't be overlooked - it gives the opponent nowhere to hide. He pushed Novak off the baseline, ground him down physically, and defended excellently himself when he needed too, especially with his low slice.

11 finals in a row, played 3 GS finals, all at different Slams, won all 3. Talk about a guy who rises to the occasion. Also becomes the oldest man to win the USO since Rosewall.

Speevy

Banned
What if Novak's toe never heals, and he drops in the rankings like Del Potro?

I hope he doesn't retire after this latest toe-related setback.

jett

D-Member
Rooting for Wawrinka in 2016.
Wawrinka saves tennis in 2016.
This is the state of tennis in 2016.

I actually wonder what's gonna happen to the sport when Djokovic/Murray retire in 4~ years, nevermind Nadal and Federer. Back to the dark ages of the early 2000's.

Speevy

Banned

I actually wonder what's gonna happen to the sport when Djokovic/Murray retire in 4~ years, nevermind Nadal and Federer. Back to the dark ages of the early 2000's.

The age of Lucas Pouille

jett

D-Member
The age of Lucas Pouille

Career record 36–37
The dark age of Lucas Pouille.

One thing kinda made me sad is that most Tennis players I'm familiar with are either over 30 or rapidly approaching that age range. Where's the new talent here? Nadal won 2 grand slams before he turned 20. Where's the next generation of Tennis?

Speevy

Banned
Career record 36–37
The dark age of Lucas Pouille.

One thing kinda made me sad is that most Tennis players I'm familiar with are either over 30 or rapidly approaching that age range. Where's the new talent here? Nadal won 2 grand slams before he turned 20. Where's the next generation of Tennis?

They all got old waiting for Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray to get out of the way.

Diamond

It was hard not to root for Del Potro after what he did at the Olympics, defeating Nadal and Djokovic.

Maybe would have been in the final if Stan lost against Evans.

It was a fun tournament, US Open often is these days. Quite a few fun matches, like most Wawrinka matches, Pouille matches, Nishikori-Murray, Pliskova's run...

I'm not sure what to say about Djokovic's tournament. We were never sure if he was in form or not, after he had a rough summer. Wilander said he thinks the fact he didn't played a lot to reach the final was a bad thing, because he couldn't reach his peak in time. It's possible, but with what happened today, I think he could also have lost before the final. He still produced good tennis but he clearly struggled physically against Stan.

Finally Stan... What to say. When Djokovic wins, there are several pages of GOAT discussions. Stan has won three slams and has the Djoker on his way every time. He produced three enormous matches to win (wasn't the final in Australia but still), on three different surfaces. That's quite the achievement.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Plus, it's easy to forget now but he was 1 match point down against a fired up Evans a few days ago. Could have been a very different outcome.

Definitely. He stepped up after that.

Do you guys think Juan Martin Del Potro could have beaten Djokovic as he was playing tonight?

Gut says no, but hard to say. It would depend on how on Delpo was as well. I can't see him getting to some of the balls Stan got to though, at least not right now.

Smellycat

So happy for Stan The Man!!! Really well deserved. It would have been pretty disappointing to see Djokovic win with the draw that he had lol

Federer was right when he said that Wawrinka shouldn't be discounted from the slam talk in 2016, and he can definitely win one. Can he win Wimbledon? He has never really played well there

Late to the party, but well done by Stan. Fuck Djokovic for doing that Nadal routine of acting like he's injured worse than he is when he's losing.

Embrace Milos Raonic as your new tennis overlord... On second though, he will be 29 by then. We're doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom