• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

Dizzan

MINI Member
Although I've thought we were in a golden era the last 10 years with Rafa, Fed and Djoker dominating, I can't help but think that the quality of the rest of the players is just so poor compared to previous generations.

Maybe these guys aren't as GOAT as we build them up to be.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Although I've thought we were in a golden era the last 10 years with Rafa, Fed and Djoker dominating, I can't help but think that the quality of the rest of the players is just so poor compared to previous generations.

Let's not get crazy now.

Diamond

Congrats Rafa. He had a pretty easy ride to the title (first slam winner who hasn't encountered a top 10 in the draw) but he was there and in decent form when almost everyone wasn't, and that's a quality to celebrate.

Apart from the funny draw, it wasn't really a great slam. Didn't watch a lot of matches. Hope everyone works and comes back in form for the next slam season. Now on to the road to the Masters, which could be as surprising as this USO.

Before this year I was wondering if Nadal would come back at all let alone winning slams. Fed whilst he had been close I'd kind of given up on seeing him win another. To see them both come back and win 2 slams is incredible. To think how recently people were talking about Novak catching up and overtaking them both to become the GOAT.

Really looking forward to next year. Interested to see how Murray and Novak bounce back and whether or not Fed and Nadal remain competitive (thinking Nadal has at least 1 more French left in him maybe more).

Will we finally see a younger player step up and look to take the mantle from the big four. Right now it's hard to see it happening.

Edit: Crazy to think just how close Nadal was to winning 3 slams this year and how that would have effected the GOAT argument.

Congrats Rafa. He had a pretty easy ride to the title (first slam winner who hasn't encountered a top 10 in the draw) but he was there and in decent form when almost everyone wasn't, and that's a quality to celebrate.

Apart from the funny draw, it wasn't really a great slam. Didn't watch a lot of matches. Hope everyone works and comes back in form for the next slam season. Now on to the road to the Masters, which could be as surprising as this USO.

The last three slams have been non events really.

Del Potro made stuff interesting. Sadly Sir Cunt had to ruin the draw as Federer would have deffo made the final on other side. It would have obviously been way more interesting than the final today.

Before this year I was wondering if Nadal would come back at all let alone winning slams. Fed whilst he had been close I'd kind of given up on seeing him win another. To see them both come back and win 2 slams is incredible. To think how recently people were talking about Novak catching up and overtaking them both to become the GOAT.

Really looking forward to next year. Interested to see how Murray and Novak bounce back and whether or not Fed and Nadal remain competitive (thinking Nadal has at least 1 more French left in him maybe more).

Will we finally see a younger player step up and look to take the mantle from the big four. Right now it's hard to see it happening.

It's hard to see any of the young players winning slams anytime soon. Zverev for me is massively overrated. He had his best chance to atleast make a semi but went out early like in all his slams this year.

If Murray and Djokovic are back in form. Then Zverev would have to atleast beat 3 of the big four to win a slam. Then you have Del Potro, Raonic and Stan. I can't see him realistically doing that. The only player who could step up is Kyrgios. But thankfully he isn't.

Diamond

The last three slams have been non events really.

Del Potro made stuff interesting. Sadly Sir Cunt had to ruin the draw as Federer would have deffo made the final on other side. It would have obviously been way more interesting than the final today.

Yeah, there are a few good matches to save but globally it wasn't a stellar year. You have to wonder who would have won the slams if Nadal and Federer weren't this good at their ages.

Exactly the opposite.

The competition at the moment is really bad. But there was a time you had Soderling, Del Potro, Berdych, Ferrer, Roddick, Fernando Gonzalez, Verdasco, Almagro, tommy Haas, and bunch of very good French tennis players.

Not just because of the 4, and those guys didn't all perfectly crossover, but its because of the second string players as well, that made this generations truly the golden generation.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Exactly the opposite.

The competition at the moment is really bad. But there was a time you had Soderling, Del Potro, Berdych, Ferrer, Roddick, Fernando Gonzalez, Verdasco, Almagro, tommy Haas, and bunch of very good French tennis players.

Not just because of the 4, and those guys didn't all perfectly crossover, but its because of the second string players as well, that made this generations truly the golden generation.

maybe i just paid more attention back then, but just looking randomly at the rankings 10 or so years ago there were actually a lot more players in the mid-tier of players that I thought could potentially do damage at the slams.

still sad that safin got derailed so hard by injuries. he's only a few months older than roger. then again...players of that era peaked before 30 and dropped fast (outside of random outliers like Agassi)

hyp3rlink

Great year by Rafa! 3 slam finals with 2 wins was not expected at all.

My guess is that by the end of their career Federer, Nadal, and, Djokovic will have 21, 19 and 17 slams resp. would be a great time for GOAT discussions.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How has Djokovic earned more prize money than either Nadal and Federer?

As we all know, in a competitive market, wages are equal to performance. Therefore, Djokovic has the most prize money of all time because he is the greatest player of all time. QED.

maybe i just paid more attention back then, but just looking randomly at the rankings 10 or so years ago there were actually a lot more players in the mid-tier of players that I thought could potentially do damage at the slams.

still sad that safin got derailed so hard by injuries. he's only a few months older than roger. then again...players of that era peaked before 30 and dropped fast (outside of random outliers like Agassi)

I agree. Safin is one of the most talented players in tennis history.

As a big man, with those ground strokes back then? Big men with good ground strokes with those strings is unheard of. And Safin hit it soooo clean.

He was more talented than any of the current big men. Back then, well a bit older Medvedev, couldn't hit a forehand, Ivanisevic groundstrokes really inconsistent and pretty much crap. Greg Rusedski, couldn't hit a top spin backhand.

With those older strings, you had to technically hit the ball correctly, and Safins grounstrokes were amazing. One of the my favorite players Safin.

So here's to next year, where we wait to see if the unlikely challengers Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray can overthrow the Nadal/Federer duopoly at the top of the men's game. Hey, wait a minute...

Quake1028

Great year by Rafa! 3 slam finals with 2 wins was not expected at all.

My guess is that by the end of their career Federer, Nadal, and, Djokovic will have 21, 19 and 17 slams resp. would be a great time for GOAT discussions.

Roger has 2 more in him? Nadal 3? Djoker 5? I just don't see any of those.

Top Bottom