• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

oti

Banned
There was no reason to expect otherwise. Man, they really need to change the schedule. This tournament was embarrassing for the entire sport.

bionic77

Anderson is choking like I would expect to in a GS final.

Nadal just needs to keep the ball between the lines and Anderson will take care of the rest.

Amazing year Nadal. I did not see this coming.

oti

Banned
Two for Federer and two for Nadal is pretty great, I'd say. Also a grim reminder what lies ahead of us once these two decide to call it a day.

I'll switch to Squash or something.

There was no reason to expect otherwise. Man, they really need to change the schedule. This tournament was embarrassing for the entire sport.

Change the schedule that has been working for the past 40 years? Just because of a freak year with injuries.

Ok.

Kensuke

The rules need to be changed of what happens when the number 2 seed pulls our after the draw but before the tournament starts.

Federer was not in good shape anyway.

Nadal's draw is a joke and so is this final, but Nadal is not to blame. He got the #1 seed on his own and it's not his fault the field hasn't been this week in more than 10 years. A slam is a slam and it's good he's taking advantage wherever he can.

sam777

Federer was not in good shape anyway.

Nadal's draw is a joke and so is this final, but Nadal is not to blame. He got the #1 seed on his own and it's not his fault the field hasn't been this week in more than 10 years. A slam is a slam and it's good he's taking advantage wherever he can.

His draw wasn't really a joke, it was not his fault all the good seeded players in his quarter were knocked out (Dimitrov and co.).

Kensuke

His draw wasn't really a joke, it was not his fault all the good seeded players in his quarter were knocked out (Dimitrov and co.).

Right, I meant more the opposition he ultimately faced. And yeah, it's not his fault everyone else sucks. Good on him for maintaining a higher standard.

jett

D-Member
This was nothing but a warm-up match for Rafa.

Anderson barely hanging on huh. Surface needs to be less bouncy next year.

Yes, I'm sure that will help him against the likes of Nadal.

2017 AO: Federer
2017 FO: Nadal
2017 Wimby: Federer
2017 USO: Nadal

Hell of a year for tennis. Now can the next gen please step up!?

There's no next generation. Tennis gonna be dead for a while when the big four are gone.

Kensuke

I think the tennis year already peaked at the AO. Most entertaining slam in a long time. The French and Wimbledon felt like celebrations of Nadal and Federer respectively, but both tournaments were lacking in good matches imo. Those guys cruised to the title. Post-Wimbledon has been a disaster peaking with the least entertaining slam I can remember. Only cool thing has been Shapovalov making a dent.

Good stuff, Rafa. It wasn't a great final for the neutral, nor was it a particularly great tournament overall, but so happy he closed the year out with another slam.

Kensuke

Thiem and Zverev.

This slam made me doubt those two again. It was interesting to see Coric completely dismantling Zverev in that match. It made him look very limited. Thiem... he should have nightmares after that Del Potro match.

jett

D-Member
Thiem and Zverev.

giphy.gif

jett

D-Member
I think the tennis year already peaked at the AO. Most entertaining slam in a long time. The French and Wimbledon felt like celebrations of Nadal and Federer respectively, but both tournaments were lacking in good matches imo. Those guys cruised to the title. Post-Wimbledon has been a disaster peaking with the least entertaining slam I can remember. Only cool thing has been Shapovalov making a dent.

This year has been great if only to see the rivalry and domination between these two surge up again. Kinda awesome and nostalgic to see something like this happen again.

Not so great for the sport itself, of course. :p

oti

Banned
This slam made me doubt those two again. It was interesting to see Coric completely dismantling Zverev in that match. It made him look very limited. Thiem... he should have nightmares after that Del Potro match.
After Zverev won two Masters this year? Please.
You'll get to know them once they play GS finals and become #1 and #2 in the world.

sam777

After Zverev won two Masters this year? Please.

You'll get to know them once they play GS finals and become #1 and #2 in the world.

Once Rafa is finally done, Thiem will definitely become the one to beat on clay no doubt about that.

Top Bottom