• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2017 |OT| The One Where Everyone's Injured (Or Pregnant)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
anderson needs to channel his inner wawrinka. all hope seemed lost in january of 2014, but stan came miraculously through. now the duty has fallen on the mighty shoulders of the south african giant.

I just wanna watch tennis. What's with the commentators talking so much. And the on court interview with king was cringe. Can't you see the women playing, shuddup!

I was shocked they were allowed to talk during play. Voices carry extremely easy on these courts, especially when you have primo seats like Emma Stone & King

RedAssedApe

Banned
I was shocked they were allowed to talk during play. Voices carry extremely easy on these courts, especially when you have primo seats like Emma Stone & King

They've been doing this the whole tournament. Usually they put a pause on the questions during pts like the commentators. Weird and distracting. The one promoting bill jean king movie was super bad/cringe though.

sam777

I do hope Madison eventually wins a Grand Slam but I fear she could be a bit like Lisicki and not come near another final again.

AoM

Jokes aside, you can't be seriously suggesting that this year's French Open weren't better than this trash tournament. The US facilities are better but the level of play was embarrassing. Also the French has the advantage of being on clay.

That's on the players, not the tournament itself. But obviously being near the end of the season doesn't help matters.

oti

Banned
That reaction was cute. $3.5 million dollars!!! She gonna do some damage with that!
I really hope she stays healthy. Sloane's smart and clean counter tennis has so much potential. That's why I was rooting for Keys. Keys could best anyone and lose to anyone with her style of play. Sloane has more potential in my opinion.

Jokes aside, you can't be seriously suggesting that this year's French Open weren't better than this trash tournament. The US facilities are better but the level of play was embarrassing. Also the French has the advantage of being on clay.

Due to injuries, probably. But at the French Open we had Nadal winning on the mens side and an unseeded first time champion win on the womens side. Same as the US Open (Unless Anderson pulls a miracle)

oti

Banned
Due to injuries, probably. But at the French Open we had Nadal winning on the mens side and an unseeded first time champion win on the womens side. Same as the US Open (Unless Anderson pulls a miracle)

The French was the worst GS 2017 until the US Open came along. It's not America's fault this tournament was bad. I'm just poking fun. We did the same after the French Open.

Seriously though, the German Open needs to happen.

The French was the worst GS 2017 until the US Open came along. It's not America's fault this tournament was bad. I'm just poking fun. We did the same after the French Open.

Seriously though, the German Open needs to happen.

The problem with the French Open is currently the uppity neighborhood its in, essentially bullies the tournament and they get their way. They really need to move that tournament to a place that allows organizers more freedom, so they can get lights on all courts and perhaps at least one roof. Keep it on red clay, of course and move it to another place in France OR move it to Spain

I'm looking forward to the US Open girls singles final tomorrow, which is also an All American Affair.

You have 16 year old Amanda Anisimova who is already ranked #182 in the world. She'll face off against 13 year old Cori Gauff. Keep in mind most of the top girls on the Junior circuit are 17 and 18 years old.

The problem with the French Open is currently the uppity neighborhood its in, essentially bullies the tournament and they get their way. They really need to move that tournament to a place that allows organizers more freedom, so they can get lights on all courts and perhaps at least one roof. Keep it on red clay, of course and move it to another place in France OR move it to Spain

Spain is a good candidate in the name of Nadal, but the FO is the has its own name: Roland Garros. Good luck ever having that major disappear.

I really hope she stays healthy. Sloane's smart and clean counter tennis has so much potential. That's why I was rooting for Keys. Keys could best anyone and lose to anyone with her style of play. Sloane has more potential in my opinion.

I tweeted that my primary concern is that she doesn't lose her way like the WS did and start exploring fashion/other interests and lose a few years to that. Everyone remembers when Serena showed up fat to that Australian open and played her way back into shape, beating everyone. She got serious after that blood clot.

d+pad

How soon until the American public start to hate her as much as they do Serena?

What on earth are you talking about? I often honestly feel like one of the only Americans around who doesn't love Serena. (I loved her when she and Venus first joined the tour, but she completely lost me when she was such a bitch toward Jankovic, Safina and Wozniacki when they were number one.)

As for Sloane, whether America--and the rest of the world, for that matter--embraces or ignores her depends on the next 12 months, I think. If she wins another GS title in the next year or so, people will look at her as "the real deal." If she stinks up the court or otherwise falls short at the slams next year, people probably will look at her as a flash in the pan...

I tweeted that my primary concern is that she doesn't lose her way like the WS did and start exploring fashion/other interests and lose a few years to that. Everyone remembers when Serena showed up fat to that Australian open and played her way back into shape, beating everyone. She got serious after that blood clot.

I wasn't going to say anything but earlier this year I thought Serena showed up fat-er to the Australian Open. Turns out she was just 2 months pregnant

I didn't know this, but Sloane is the lowest computer ranked player to win a grand slam since computer rankings were introduced in 1975. So basically, lowest ranked player ever to win a slam title.

I would have guessed Serena @ the AO in 2007 would have been a lower rank but apparently not

Man, this is the first I'm hearing of Sloane. Tennis aside, this girl is gorgeous!

She's going to make good money from endorsements.

sloane-stephens-indian-wells-podcast-lead.jpg

LuuKyK

Wow that was a very bad match for a final lol. The crowd was dead for an all american encounter, and it lasted like 59 minutes. :x keys was an unforced error machine and Sloane was just pushing everything back.

Sharapova x Halep felt more like a final than this.

Oh well happy for Sloane, she seems like a very sweet girl.

Man, this is the first I'm hearing of Sloane. Tennis aside, this girl is gorgeous!

She's going to make good money from endorsements.

sloane-stephens-indian-wells-podcast-lead.jpg

She really is! Her face is to die for.

For raw atheleticism and talent off both wings, she's always been impressive. Her problems were (may still be) all in the mind. There are times when she just spins her serves in over and over, or backs way up behind the baseline for no reason and gets pushed around (a problem a lot of very fast, talented players have, think Monfils, Murray, Gasquet, Halep). There've also been a lot of times when she clearly lacked motivation. When she wants a match though, she's a terror - see her 5-0 record in finals. Losing a year to injury may have been a blessing in disguise.

If she improves by getting comfortable attacking the net and getting more disciplined on return, she could be a dominant player. She has elite defense and offense, which very few of the current top women do.

Keys doesn't seem to me like she's improved a whole lot over the past couple of years. I thought she was a dead cert #1 with her power and serve when she broke out, but she still has periods in matches where she attacks wildly and loses control of her backhand. When she's on she's unplayable, but when she starts to go off, she can go.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know this, but Sloane is the lowest computer ranked player to win a grand slam since computer rankings were introduced in 1975. So basically, lowest ranked player ever to win a slam title.

I would have guessed Serena @ the AO in 2007 would have been a lower rank but apparently not

She was ranked 83. Goran was ranked 125. You mean the lowest computer ranked female player.

the reverse Murray

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Who can take a slam final
Sprinkle it with bru
Cover it with forehands and a miracle or two

The Kandyman
Oh, the Kandyman can!

clemenx

Banned
Anderson is actually looking kinda solid on the groundstrokes but his service games need to go easier. He's going to be gassed before the 1st set is finished and the game will be over.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
still on serve, but not looking good for anderson. his only chance is to serve like a god and then win tiebreaks or snatch cheap breaks. at this rate he's going to get broken multiple times as the match goes on.

Top Bottom