• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings [2/10 - 2/16]

Mrbob

C- Warrior said:
This is the 2nd week in a row that you had the PS3 ver. of DMC4 selling out, yet the 360 version not so much.

Does the "ps3 ver. selling more trend' hold true for other gamestore staffers?

My guess is stores are getting more of the 360 version in a single shipment. DMC4 sales will probably look like Burnout Paradise sales, where the X360 version sells more but not by a huge amount.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
At my local Best Buy they had 2 40GB PS3s, 4 GO PRO 360s and Zero Wiis. The 360s did not have the 2 pack-in games with them.

At Target they had 7 40GB PS3s, zero 360s and zero Wiis.

RBH

Just got back from my local Target:

360: They just got in a fresh shipment of about 10 Premiums. They all had "Go Pro" on the front of the back, and Forza/MUA were unbundled (as expected). Wasn't able to check the lot #'s, but I'm sure that they're the most recent ones.

PS3: Had 3 80 GB's and 1 40 GB.

DS: Only had the new Cobalt DS's. Rest of the colors were sold out.

A Link to the Snitch said:
God, shut the fuck up, unless someone's holding a gun to your head and threatening your life unless you read every single sales thread, shut the fuck up.

Seriously, at first I questioned the importance of this thread - but if people say there are trends that exist between the micro and macro level, and it seems other game employees come in here as well -- I do see the benefit of this thread.

Besides, it's not like it's prime real-estate space being used up, chill.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
RBH said:
Just got back from my local Target:

360: They just got in a fresh shipment of about 10 Premiums. They all had "Go Pro" on the front of the back, and Forza/MUA were unbundled (as expected). Wasn't able to check the lot #'s, but I'm sure that they're the most recent ones.

PS3: Had 3 80 GB's and 1 40 GB.

DS: Only had the new Cobalt DS's. Rest of the colors were sold out.

That gives me hope that my store will be getting a large shipment of 360's in.

Threi

notag
C- Warrior said:
Seriously, at first I questioned the importance of this thread - but if people say there are trends that exist between the micro and macro level, and it seems other game employees come in here as well -- I do see the benefit of this thread.

Besides, it's not like it's prime real-estate space being used up, chill.

Eh. It's worth it to come in here just for an excuse to say "MUSING"

oneHeero

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Why would people want these threads to go away, when the massive shortages reported by altered and others foreshadowed the January NPD so well?

Of course it did. "We got no Wiis. We got no 360s. PS3s are in stock, we sold 3."
Not for nothing, glad to read ABs OP, but these are easy predictions. I mean we;ve known of the lack of Wii's since it came out, 360s could have been predicted as its in its 2nd yr and MS probably thought sales would slow after Xmas and/or they rumour new 360 Sku and/or the rumour that old 360 being phased out and new ones coming in(Falcons) more often. PS3 could be said that it'll always be available.

Shit let me predict next week here.

HW
Wii: None to be found still, some came in, sold out b4 2pm.
360: Shipments finally arrived, selling @ a very good pace. 1-2 available.
Ps3: 80's sold out and 40's are selling better but still available.
DS: Sold whenever they come in.
PSP: Sold out within a few days they come in.

SW
Wii: Good sales
Ps3: Pickin up in sw sales and BR sales as well with BR winning
360: Amazing sales with HW not showing up(restock)
PSP: Sales but nothing out there.
DS: Great sales

Again, I enjoy reading ABs post and everyone who post their own findings, but alot is predictable and I think thats why some fanboys bitch.

MoxManiac

I was in CC the other day and was near a guy talking to an employee about the PS3. The guy was looking for an 80GB PS3 with free remote deal and the employee said "yeah, we're out of 80GB PS3s" and the guy was like "Ah man, are you serious? I came all this way to get one. I refuse to get one of those damn 40GBs" Neither of them mentioned PS2 BC so I don't know if that was the reason why, but the 40GB sure looked shitty in his eyes!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
There is something that I have wanted to say for quite a while, but didn't want to start a thread.

The way I see it, the PS3 will probably catch up to the 360 in America and will sell extremely well worldwide. Sony has been very aggressive at dropping the price of the PS3 and even before, with the PS2, did 100 dollar pricedrops when the time was right. They always seemed in control of everything. The PS3 was ridiculously expensive for a game console, but, with the next price drop, will be at the competitive level for selling systems.

PS3 has just about everything over the 360 besides price and Halo, which has already come out. Unless MS decides to get aggressive and attack, they will end up in 3rd place everywhere this generation. MS never knew how to manage a lead, and that is the real reason that in Europe the PS3 has caught up and even already outsold it in many countries. When Sony was seeing that the original XBox began selling well, they cut the price 100 dollars. When Microsoft saw that the PS3 and Wii began selling well, they waited and waited and then cut the price about 50 dollars (less on the Core SKU). Now, as the PS3 and Wii sell even better and the 360 is looking that much more the lame duck that it is, they still sit on their thumbs.

They need to make the Elite SKU 379, and the Premium SKU 279. Get rid of the Arcade SKU. it is worthless and everyone outside of clueless moms and very small children know that. The only pricepoint it could possibly sell very well at is 199, and, knowing MS, they won't do it.

GDC better be FULL of surprises, price cuts, package deals, and/or new huge exlcusives. Because, as far as I see it, the PS3 has plenty of exclusives and third party games on it to justify paying 50 dollars more than the Premium SKU. If Sony actually threw in hi-def cables, it would be an even sweeter deal. I would love to see someone argue that the 360 is really the better system for the average consumer right now.

I know this isn't exactly the place for it, but I just had to say it. :p

oneHeero

AlteredBeast said:
There is something that I have wanted to say for quite a while, but didn't want to start a thread.

The way I see it, the PS3 will probably catch up to the 360 in America and will sell extremely well worldwide. Sony has been very aggressive at dropping the price of the PS3 and even before, with the PS2, did 100 dollar pricedrops when the time was right. They always seemed in control of everything. The PS3 was ridiculously expensive for a game console, but, with the next price drop, will be at the competitive level for selling systems.

PS3 has just about everything over the 360 besides price and Halo, which has already come out. Unless MS decides to get aggressive and attack, they will end up in 3rd place everywhere this generation. MS never knew how to manage a lead, and that is the real reason that in Europe the PS3 has caught up and even already outsold it in many countries. When Sony was seeing that the original XBox began selling well, they cut the price 100 dollars. When Microsoft saw that the PS3 and Wii began selling well, they waited and waited and then cut the price about 50 dollars (less on the Core SKU). Now, as the PS3 and Wii sell even better and the 360 is looking that much more the lame duck that it is, they still sit on their thumbs.

They need to make the Elite SKU 379, and the Premium SKU 279. Get rid of the Arcade SKU. it is worthless and everyone outside of clueless moms and very small children know that. The only pricepoint it could possibly sell very well at is 199, and, knowing MS, they won't do it.

GDC better be FULL of surprises, price cuts, package deals, and/or new huge exlcusives. Because, as far as I see it, the PS3 has plenty of exclusives and third party games on it to justify paying 50 dollars more than the Premium SKU. If Sony actually threw in hi-def cables, it would be an even sweeter deal. I would love to see someone argue that the 360 is really the better system for the average consumer right now.

I know this isn't exactly the place for it, but I just had to say it. :p
I really cant wait for GDC. I believe all companies will have something explosive to announce.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
oneHeero said:
I really cant wait for GDC. I believe all companies will have something explosive to announce.

MS really has the most to gain right now out of some earth shattering GDC announcement. It is too bad that they seem so mismanaged right now.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
C- Warrior said:
This is the 2nd week in a row that you had the PS3 ver. of DMC4 selling out, yet the 360 version not so much.

Does the "ps3 ver. selling more trend' hold true for other gamestore staffers?
Either way...You can't wait for the spins:lol

OMG Game on PS3 sells more then 360
...Lol It is "Sony" System game anyways
Haha, We got close and only 1/3 of the systems
Haha, Guess the PS tie to DMC wasn't as strong

It shall be Golden on both sides

leehom

AlteredBeast said:
MS really has the most to gain right now out of some earth shattering GDC announcement. It is too bad that they seem so mismanaged right now.
isn't that expected when you shift to a new ceo? kinda like how sony was in 06 when they booted kutaragi for i forgot his name... kaz hurai?

iirc, they also lost their advertising company that year and had internal conflicting directions for the ps3.

i'm glad their finally sorting everything out, although it did take some time.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I literally attribute the DMC4 sales to the fact that 360 gamers seem to buy things en masse on the first month (or really the first week) and then ignore it and buy whatever else. The first exception was Gears of War, then Halo 3, and now Call of Duty 4. Dead Rising, Saint's Row, and Lost Planet all had big first months, then fell off the face of the earth as far as sales go.

1-D_FTW

kenta said:
I don't really like them either but:

NeoGAF > Discussions > Gaming Discussion

One of these days I'm gonna go trolling the off-topic forum and just post opposite remarks of this in every thread.

Occasionally I enter from the front page, see a sensationalist headline that was the last post in off-topic and click on it. From my brief time there, it seems 90 percent of the threads are of the humanity is circling the drain variety. The stuff that just makes you cringe and shake your head in disgust at neogaf. Nobody who posts on that side should be throwing stones. Now your comment was confusing, but if that's the gist, that's my comment. If not, it's still my comment. The worst of gaming-age still comes nowhere close to off-topic and it needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

And I like these posts, OP.

WarLox said:
we have 50 Elites coming in at the begining of the week. 16 Pros came in on Friday, with another 16 expected by Wednesday. The 16 were unloaded off the truck by 8pm, we had 6 left by 9:30. 2 of which were PRP exchanges from broken systems :lol . Our district just got 2600 Wiis in, but they are only sending each store 24 :( . We are out of 80g PS3s, and the 40g is selling "ok".

edit: also

We are competely out of Arcade and Halo units, but we still have the halo $129 edition from launch... lots of them. A small shippment of LO came in on Wednesday (25), and about 6 was quickly purchased by employees.

For the bold: Holy shit.

kenta

Has no PEINS
1-D_FTW said:
One of these days I'm gonna go trolling the off-topic forum and just post opposite remarks of this in every thread.

Occasionally I enter from the front page, see a sensationalist headline that was the last post in off-topic and click on it. From my brief time there, it seems 90 percent of the threads are of the humanity is circling the drain variety. The stuff that just makes you cringe and shake your head in disgust at neogaf. Nobody who posts on that side should be throwing stones. Now your comment was confusing, but if that's the gist, that's my comment. If not, it's still my comment. The worst of gaming-age still comes nowhere close to off-topic and it needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

And I like these posts, OP.
I honestly have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say, but my point was that these threads contain discussion about gaming and this forum is called Gaming Discussion. There are clearly people who don't like these anecdotal "musing" threads but that doesn't mean they have no place here

kassatsu

Banned
From a friend waiting for an account.

A GameStop in west Michigan:

PS2 - Selling like crazy STILL. Though now, when people can't find Wiis, they seem to be opting for a PS2 instead... it's pretty funny.
Most software selling for PS2 are used games... and Rock Band. We can't keep PS2 Rock Band or Guitar Hero III in stock.

PS3 - Sold out of 80GBs a long time ago. We sold out of 40GBs last week, and got 10 more in. In 2 days, we're now down to half that stock.
Big sellers for PS3 seem to be Devil May Cry 4, Turok, Uncharted and Call of Duty 4. It seems like PS3 interest has picked up dramatically.

PSP - We sold out of all Daxter bundles today after getting 5 in on Friday. Only the core systems remain. A lot of people asking about Patapon and Crisis Core.
Most software selling is stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics and used titles.

DS - We got in the blue/black ones on Sunday for their release. We had about 10 of them. They lasted until Friday amazingly. We haven't received any other
colors in weeks though. Professor Layton, Mario Party DS seem to be selling rather well.

Wii - We haven't gotten any stock in in 2 weeks now... Don't know when we will get more. Main Wii software sellers are Mario Galaxy and random shovelware.
No love for No More Heroes :(.

XB360 - We got in 2 units this week, and they sold. No units expected until mid-March, or so my district manager says. We were also told the main reason for the
"shortages" is that Microsoft doesn't have enough units to replace the defective systems coming back to them so they've had to pull a ton from retail.
I would not doubt this. Software sellers for 360 are mainly Call of Duty 4 and Lost Odyssey. Devil May Cry 4 sold decently for the system on release day, but
since then we got restocked and haven't sold a single copy.

Rand al Thor 19

My Gamecrazy musings:

Wii: We got 15 Wiis on Wed this week and sold out of them in a few hours. We sold out of our initial shipment of No More Heroes which was 12 copies.

PS3: Sold about 6 80gb and 4 40gb this week. We sold out of our initial shipment of DMC4 whic was 25 copies. Turok has sold like 4 copies since it came out. COD4 and Uncharted still do good business

360: Another week without a Premium or Elite. That makes 4 straight now. Sold 2 Arcades and 0 Halo editions. DMC4 has sold half of it's first shipment which puts it at 40 copies sold. Lost Odyssey sold out. Too bad we only got 3 copies since we had a bunch of people call and come in and ask for it. Turok is doing amazing on the 360 here. We sold 60 copies so far.

Arde5643

WarLox said:
Our district just got 2600 Wiis in, but they are only sending each store 24 :( .
This is very interesting - does it mean that Wii shipment is normal again? or perhaps increased for the release of Brawl?

After reading the current musings regarding 360: What the hell is MS doing? While I'm sure they're burdened by defective 360s, supply should not be this bad.
Meanwhile, PS3 is showing that its popularity is picking up, especially with the recent bluray news.
Although 360 has a huge substantial lead over PS3 in NA, MS should quickly rectify this blunder unless they don't care about consequences in the future should the problem continue.

WarLox

AlteredBeast said:
I literally attribute the DMC4 sales to the fact that 360 gamers seem to buy things en masse on the first month (or really the first week) and then ignore it and buy whatever else. The first exception was Gears of War, then Halo 3, and now Call of Duty 4. Dead Rising, Saint's Row, and Lost Planet all had big first months, then fell off the face of the earth as far as sales go.

I think thats because we're aren't getting NPD numbers like we used to. Since we only get 10-20 titles per month, with some beings listed more than once due to multi-formats. Its alot harder to track sales, since we only get to see whats selling the most for that month. Oh, and GHIII and rock band and Assissins Creed and... ect. says hi :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AlteredBeast said:
PS3 -
Next week should be even better, as the 40GB PS3 has a $40 target gift card with the system at Target. and, even though there are over 105 40 GB PS3s in my district as we speak, I bet they get whittled down to 40 or 50 by the end of the week, thanks to the sale.

Very interesting, I look forward to next week to see if this has come to pass.

It is clear to me that this is a move to target the more casual "blu ray" buyers, who intend to buy a PS3 for a blu ray player first and games second. Pretty interesting that Target decides to do this right after more and more momentum was going to Sony in the format wars.

kassatsu said:
PS3 - Sold out of 80GBs a long time ago. We sold out of 40GBs last week, and got 10 more in. In 2 days, we're now down to half that stock.
Big sellers for PS3 seem to be Devil May Cry 4, Turok, Uncharted and Call of Duty 4. It seems like PS3 interest has picked up dramatically.

Nice :D

Somnia

GameStop in the mid-west...

Wii: No systems this week... wiimote and nunchuck sales seem to have slown finally lol. Big sellers this week were No More Heroes (all 2 of them we got back in) and Guitar Hero 3. Not much going on in the Wii Land other than now being over 200 Brawl pre-orders.

360: Got 4 pro's this week. Sold all 4 in the same day. Software wise CoD4 continues to sell, sold a few Assassin Creeds now that its 44.99 this weekend. Lost Odyssey had 12 pre-orders and with walk-ins we've now sold 20 copies and all of the stradegy guides. Culdcept got 2 copies and sold 1.

PS3: Finally got systems back in after having NONE for a week. Got 10..40gigs in and sold 4 of them so far as of tonight. Software DMC4 continues to be the big seller by far...in my experience since it launched its outselling the 360 version 2:1 at my store. No idea if this is the same throughout the States, but it has a good chance of selling allmost dead even with the 360 imo.

DS: Sold out of our 24 Cobalt/Blacks and then got 5 more in and sold them also. Software wise Advanced Wars sold out and Layton sold 10 of our 12 copies. Petz games continue to sell along with Imagine Babies :lol

inner-G

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Very interesting, I look forward to next week to see if this has come to pass.

It is clear to me that this is a move to target the more casual "blu ray" buyers, who intend to buy a PS3 for a blu ray player first and games second. Pretty interesting that Target decides to do this right after more and more momentum was going to Sony in the format wars.

Nice :D
True. Target B&M's have been blu-ray only for a while now.

Really though, the fact that Toshiba's dropping out is great for retailers. It spurs sales of hardware and software simultaneously.

kassatsu

Banned
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
to the people posting information about your stores how many copies of lost odyssey have you sold and how many did you get it?
Roughly 30 and sold all but 1 or 2.

neverknowsbest said:
It's refreshing to see Uncharted selling. Game's got legs. Is Ratchet still selling any?
Keeps selling out as we get it in.

MS has dropped the ball big time. They are only really selling well in 1 market and they can't even keep up with demand there (and lets face it, it's not exactly PS2 level of demand). There's just no excuse for this level of shortages.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
mabuza said:
what are the gta4 preorders like for both consoles?

I don't preorder games until 2 weeks before the game comes out, meaning I will likely preorder GTA4 a week after I buy Crisis Core.

I am sure a lot of people think that way, so the best way to gauge GTA4 is preorders 2-3 weeks before release.

inner-G

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I am sure a lot of people think that way, so the best way to gauge GTA4 is preorders 2-3 weeks before release.
I think that you aren't factoring in how many people will buy systems for GTA.

I'm guessing both sides will come out swinging with a new pack-in/price drop/offer to coincide with the GTA release.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't preorder games until 2 weeks before the game comes out, meaning I will likely preorder GTA4 a week after I buy Crisis Core.

not really true i pre ordered GTA back in sept when i picked up halo 3

RBH

Anyone else feel that Lost Odyssey could actually do pretty decently in the February NPD?

With the marketing push and good word of mouth, I think it could push 100k+ sales, which is double what Blue Dragon did in it's debut month in the US, I believe.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
RBH said:
Anyone else feel that Lost Odyssey could actually do pretty decently in the February NPD?

With the marketing push and good word of mouth, I think it could push 100k+ sales, which is double what Blue Dragon did in it's debut month in the US, I believe.
Probably, it had a pretty big ad campaign on TV from what I saw.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
not really true i pre ordered GTA back in sept when i picked up halo 3

Please change your humongous avatar. Read the post in the faq forum about how to properly resize your avatar.

kassatsu said:
We were also told the main reason for the
"shortages" is that Microsoft doesn't have enough units to replace the defective systems coming back to them so they've had to pull a ton from retail.
This makes no sense. If you take a look at the "my 360 died" thread you'll see that it's rare for someone to get a new machine. MS simply fills the box with a new hamster and sends it back out ready to fail again.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Several places in Mid-Michigan....

Wii - Get shipments through various outlets and sell rather quickly. Software wise it seems like the regulars are selling - SMG, Carnival games.

360 - Have hardly seen any on shelves. Software is all over the place. COD4 is a sure hit.

PS3 - Rather surprised to see a lot more PS3 momentum in mainly Xbox parts. Software movers are BP, COD4, and UT3. The system in general is gaining a better image compared to this time last year.

Are you guys so sure that MS wont just add bluray as i remember them keeping the option open and i'd think Sony would embrace that.

RBH said:

Depends entirely on how many were shipped. Whether it was under supplied or over demanded.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I plus one'd the Cobalt-Black DS system. Considering both my GBA SP's are two toned, its no surprise. Also these two toned models always come out around my favorite portable buying season, my birthday.

It's a really handsome little unit.

Anyways, during my birthday shopping I had plenty of time to talk to bored clerks about video game purchasing habits, and here's what I got for this week.

DS: New color is doing well, but some people are pissed that they can't get color x. Mario Party DS, Zelda, Mario and Sonic, Advance Wars, and Layton all doing really well.

PS3: 80 GB's doing great, 40 GB's doing okay. One store finally got rid of its last 60 GB this week, was hiding in the stock room. good DMC 4 sales.

PSP: Didn't ask. Not hard to find.

PS2: Selling well still, lots of people replacing their old PS2 or considering it a second place prize for people who couldn't find a Wii.

360: Tons of Halo Edition, Arcades starting to sell out, a few restocks this week on the models people want. Lots of people considering buying a PS3 instead for birthdays or Valentine's gifts! (Shocked at this one, but true, clerk sold three 80 GB's on the 14th all to young ladies as gifts for boyfriends. Lucky dogs!)

MS is going to have another rough month. I think DS or Wii will be on top again, as most of the Gamestoppers I talked to said that shipments were way up this month.

I saw about a dozen 360 Pros at my BB today. Didn't really notice much else except the fact that the old PSP is significantly fatter than the new model.

kassatsu said:
XB360 - We got in 2 units this week, and they sold. No units expected until mid-March, or so my district manager says. We were also told the main reason for the

This is absolutely shameful, just shameful. I'm kind of astonished that Microsoft is actually giving Sony this kind of a run for the money in "whose mistakes make them most deserve to lose the console generation" race. These two months were theirs to clean up in, but apparently the huge lead they squandered in 2005/2006 taught them nothing.

Tmac

kassatsu said:
We were also told the main reason for the
I would not doubt this.

That's just hilarious.

Top Bottom