• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings [2/10 - 2/16]

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Grecco said:
Does anybody know if Gamestop has told its workers that a new PS3 SKU is coming?

Ive been to two different stores and both are sold out of 80gigs, have 40gigs but claim a 120gig is coming.

I was told by my assistant manager the same thing, although he said 100 - 120GB.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
kassatsu said:
My friend says that there were no emails from corporate about it.

I can't confirm or deny that, since I don't have access to e-mails. I was told this by my ASM, and I don't think him to be the type to pull stuff out of his ass.

kassatsu

Banned
ZealousD said:
I can't confirm or deny that, since I don't have access to e-mails. I was told this by my ASM, and I don't think him to be the type to pull stuff out of his ass.
"I asked my District Manager. The only email we got was the discontinuation of the 80GB and allocation estimates for other systems."

Arde5643

_Alkaline_ said:
HOLY SHIT GUYS.

I was just having a joke!

I was one of the people who stood up for these threads when it was being trashed!

That's why it was weird seeing you actually saying something bad about this thread. :lol
Sorry, we just got too tired of haters of these useful musings.

While these musings don't help in creating estimate numbers, they help in predicting the general sense of what might happen come NPD day. :)

quest

Not Banned from OT
ZealousD said:
I was told by my assistant manager the same thing, although he said 100 - 120GB.

Better come with a DS3 and be 299 by the end of the year so I can jump in.

charlequin said:
This is absolutely shameful, just shameful. I'm kind of astonished that Microsoft is actually giving Sony this kind of a run for the money in "whose mistakes make them most deserve to lose the console generation" race. These two months were theirs to clean up in, but apparently the huge lead they squandered in 2005/2006 taught them nothing.

Yeah, i think some people are underestimating how big an impact it will have. MS have lost any momentum they had, and unless they've got some big unannounced games or a large price cut coming (i mean like 100$) i think they are in trouble. I thought sony had no chance of catching the 360 in NA now i'm not so sure.

Arde5643

Chemo said:
Anyone have any feedback on how well No More Heroes is doing this far after release? Thanks in advance.
The last numbers from Marvelous themselves estimated that 100k units have been sold since it was released Jan 22 in NA.

Chemo

Arde5643 said:
The last numbers from Marvelous themselves estimated that 100k units have been sold since it was released Jan 22 in NA.
Yeah, I read that, I'm just looking for some accounts from people in individual stores on it... like, whether or not there's still any buzz, or if it just fell off.

Subitai

Giant electronics store in Seattle Suburb

Wii Almost 2 weeks since last shipment. Anything with Mario or Disney in the title sells well. Carnival, Rayman, AMF bowling ($20), Table Tennis, and No More Heros have sold well enough to demand reshipments. Wii Play still doing crazy. Sold out of GH3 again. In stock of everything else.

DS Sold all the cobalts we got in over 3 days. Software seems to move steady, but not as well as the hardware save Diamond/Pearl and Brain games.

X360 3 days without anything and then 2 shipments of 12 Pros and 6 Elites came in and both sold out in 2 days. 1 shipment of 24 Halo editions came in too moving about 2-4 a day. 30 Rock Band and 24 GH3 came in and we're out of GH3 again with 5 Rock Bands left. Been without CoD4 for more than a month while, Turok, Burnout, DMC4, Halo 3, ME, Culdept Saga, AC, Lost Odyssey, and Ace Combat have been moving 5-10 copies a day.

PS3 2-4 40 gigs a day. Been out of 80 gigs more than a month. Sold out of ~12 Rock Bands. GH3 doing about the same but we got a lot more of those in, so we've never run out of the PS3 version. After that, DMC4 only title moving, although we're out of CoD4. Not much demand for anything else. Lots of interest and questions for Blu movies though.

PSP Got a giant reshipment of Piano and Daxters last week and been selling them 4-8 a day. People seem to be getting them as MP3 players that play games since we get a lot of questions for memory.

PC Finally got some CoD4 back in. Sins of a Solar Empire is almost gone and we got 20 regular and 4 CE in. Everything else is doing the same. Mostly getting questions about what to buy to show off new video cards.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Innotech said:
If there is another low month for 360/Wii in February, it certainly isnt for lack of want.

Lack of foresight by MS and Nintendo would be the culprit.

GDC better be absolutely postively shocking for MS sake.

WinFonda

GDC will be amazing for 360. It will make everyone in the world will want to run out and buy one...

but they won't be able to, so they'll buy a PS2+PS3+DS+PSP instead.

Innotech

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
Lack of foresight by MS and Nintendo would be the culprit.

GDC better be absolutely postively shocking for MS sake.
wouldnt call it lack of foresight on nintendos part, since it has been ongoing since launch. on MS part maybe. Nintendo did warn early on that shortages around the holidays and after would be pretty crazy.

Subitai said:
PSP Got a giant reshipment of Piano and Daxters last week and been selling them 4-8 a day. People seem to be getting them as MP3 players that play games since we get a lot of questions for memory.

Yeah, cause MP3's are the reason PSP owners are buying huge memory sticks...

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Nintendo should never sell as few Wii's as they did in January with the demand they have. If they can produce over a million a month in their factories and are running at capacity, then they should be shipping them. Air freighting them, if necessary. They could sell a million a month if they wanted to, outrightly destroy the other two players's sales in the 'console sales' and make gobs of money off of software royalties and first party sales, but they are too stubborn to open a new plant, airflight them over to America, or do anything else. They might get to a 110 million like the PS2, but at the rate they are going, it is still going to take them 6 years, and that is only IF the demand doesn't slow down (which it will, eventually). By then, XBox 720 and PS4 will be coming out with WTFBBQ motion controls, VR headsets, and blowjob machines for both the young and old, essentially making the Wii more than just obsolete.

Nintendo has a lack of foresight, yes.

and yes, I am a cynic about everything.

Innotech

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
Nintendo should never sell as few Wii's as they did in January with the demand they have. If they can produce over a million a month in their factories and are running at capacity, then they should be shipping them. Air freighting them, if necessary. They could sell a million a month if they wanted to, outrightly destroy the other two players's sales in the 'console sales' and make gobs of money off of software royalties and first party sales, but they are too stubborn to open a new plant, airflight them over to America, or do anything else. They might get to a 110 million like the PS2, but at the rate they are going, it is still going to take them 6 years, and that is only IF the demand doesn't slow down (which it will, eventually). By then, XBox 720 and PS4 will be coming out with WTFBBQ motion controls, VR headsets, and blowjob machines for both the young and old, essentially making the Wii more than just obsolete.

Nintendo has a lack of foresight, yes.

and yes, I am a cynic about everything.
not even Sony would have been able to cope with this much demand. Its really quite ridiculous. Also keep in mind Nintendo also doesnt want to deal with a massive hardware problem either. Its the same way with politics. From an armchair perspective you think you would be able to do a better job, but then if you found yourself in charge, youd probably run around like a monkey with a stick up its ass. Its not as easy as just "making more"

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I believe Sony was always pretty proactive about being in stock, even with several positions in the top 10 for best selling systems in November/December of any year since 1995. and having several months after launch in both America and Japan of batshit crazy monthly sales. The only time I remember massive shortages after the launch window was when they introduced and subsequently screwed themselves over of several hundred thousand sales with the PSTwo.

Sony would've opened up a plan...oh yes, they surely would've :p

So would I, of course. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The more money they make right now is better than playing it cautious and underproducing, opening the door for MS or Sony to develop their own groundbreaking, earthshattering, dick-hardening motion control or something else entirely, along with their own 'Wii Sports' It could very well happen and then Nintendo will wish they had produced more of their highly profitable Wii console in the time that they had in the spotlight.

All of this is highly speculative and unfounded, of course, but I am just calling it as I see it.

Innotech

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
I believe Sony was always pretty proactive about being in stock, even with several positions in the top 10 for best selling systems in November/December of any year since 1995. and having several months after launch in both America and Japan of batshit crazy monthly sales. The only time I remember massive shortages after the launch window was when they introduced and subsequently screwed themselves over of several hundred thousand sales with the PSTwo.

So would I, of course. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The more money they make right now is better than playing it cautious and underproducing, opening the door for MS or Sony to develop their own groundbreaking, earthshattering, dick-hardening motion control or something else entirely, along with their own 'Wii Sports' It could very well happen and then Nintendo will wish they had produced more of their highly profitable Wii console in the time that they had in the spotlight.

All of this is highly speculative and unfounded, of course, but I am just calling it as I see it.

TWENTY. Million. Consoles. Sold.
Thats hardly what Id call not making enough. There arent even 20 million xbox 360s SHIPPED yet. Nintendo is making a ton of systems, but they are going out the door just as fast. Theyve sold the equivalent of the Gamecubes entire lifetime in a little over a year and still cant keep up with demand. At that point you really CANT.

Neo C.

AlteredBeast said:

Sony didn't sell over 20 million PS2s in 15 months, did it?
And there isn't only a lack of hardware but a lack of software too. Nintendo can't even ship enough copies. That means: They even need to gear up the software production.

Neo C.

AlteredBeast said:
PS2 sold 70 million by the end of 2003. Wii still has a bit to go to match that.
Which means 70 million in 3 years and 9 months. When Nintendo keeps making 1.8 million monthly and the demand is still high in the next three years, the Wii could match that. Though I don't know if the demand stays that strong in the next three years.

Shiggy

AlteredBeast said:
PS2 sold 70 million by the end of 2003. Wii still has a bit to go to match that.

No, that's wrong. 70 milion PS2 consoles were produced by the end of 2003, it seems as if a large number of those weren't sold until autumn 2004, as only 4 million more consoles were produced until October 2004.

Parl

AlteredBeast said:

At the current rate of production increases, Wii would match that in less than 3 years. Although this is obvious because Wii is WAY ahead of PS2 in shipments in respective points in lifetime.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
link?

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=8498

This says shipped, I doubt that more than a few million could have been sitting on shelves all across the world. In America, the biggest PS2 region by hardware volume, the PS2 sold 2.5 million systems from Jan. to September. Sony probably sold like 6 million around the world in that time, maybe a bit less, but that makes it seem like their shipments were normal and in-line more with keeping the system in stock rather than channel stuffing, a la XBox 360 in the EOY 2006 or PS3 EOY 2007.

Just playing devil's advocate here. :)

Shiggy

AlteredBeast said:
link?

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=8498

This says shipped, I doubt that more than a few million could have been sitting on shelves all across the world. In America, the biggest PS2 region by hardware volume, the PS2 sold 2.5 million systems from Jan. to September. Sony probably sold like 6 million around the world in that time, maybe a bit less, but that makes it seem like their shipments were normal and in-line more with keeping the system in stock rather than channel stuffing, a la XBox 360 in the EOY 2006 or PS3 EOY 2007.

Just playing devil's advocate here. :)

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html
Production Shipments

At the end of 2003 the PS2 LTD was more 60-63 million, as they had to ship the units to warehouses and then to stores. I think people know about Sonys' big discrepancies between sold-through and produced numbers. Nowadays they don't use the production numbers anymore, instead they use sold to retailers numbers.

Parl

Shiggy said:
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html
Production Shipments

At the end of 2003 the PS2 LTD was more 60-63 million, as they had to ship the units to warehouses and then to stores. I think people know about Sonys' big discrepancies between sold-through and produced numbers. Nowadays they don't use the production numbers anymore, instead they use sold to retailers numbers.
Especially with the DREs. Which is why I find it particularly odd when people go on about a PS2 install base of 130 million.

There's a massive difference between NPD data (including Canada) and PS2 "production shipments" to NA. Same with Japan. Of course, we don't get European data, but if the discrepency is consistent with Japan and NA, then PS2 has sold-through roughly 100-105 million units by now, I think.

How many still work?

Neo C.

AlteredBeast said:
and the PS2 wasn't out in 2 of 3, mind you the BIGGEST 2 of 3 territories for 7 and 8 of those months...
That doesn't matter. I mean, if they produced more, they could have a worldwide launch too. The reason why Nintendo had a worldwide launch was their high production rate.

Parl said:
Especially with the DREs. Which is why I find it particularly odd when people go on about a PS2 install base of 130 million.

There's a massive difference between NPD data (including Canada) and PS2 "production shipments" to NA. Same with Japan. Of course, we don't get European data, but if the discrepency is consistent with Japan and NA, then PS2 has sold-through roughly 100-105 million units by now, I think.

How many still work?

The question is how many PS2s are still having software bought for them? I guess you can make some inferences based on sales of cross platform titles. Madden has come out every year on every platform without competition for five years, and is one of the top titles on those platforms. 360/PS2 Madden sales being close this year, perhaps they have a similar active purchase base. That would give you roughly 10 million active PS2s in the US, which is about a quater of total US PS2 sales. Extrapolate that world wide, maybe 30 million active PS2 users.

If nintendo are producing 1.8 million per month what are they doing with them. Between the US and Japan the sales last month would be around 600,000. That leaves 1.2 million for Europe and other. Something just doesn't seem right to me.

As for MS how many consoles are they currently shipping WW? Only 20,000 or so a month sell in Japan and i very much doubt they sell as much in Europe as they do in the US. Surely between Japan and Europe you would be looking at less than 300,000 consoles (shipped) a month. So are MS only making like 600,000 360's a month?

kkg1701

AdventureRacing said:
If nintendo are producing 1.8 million per month what are they doing with them. Between the US and Japan the sales last month would be around 600,000. That leaves 1.2 million for Europe and other. Something just doesn't seem right to me.

As for MS how many consoles are they currently shipping WW? Only 20,000 or so a month sell in Japan and i very much doubt they sell as much in Europe as they do in the US. Surely between Japan and Europe you would be looking at less than 300,000 consoles (shipped) a month. So are MS only making like 600,000 360's a month?

You are forgetting shipping times, just because X amount can be produced per month doesn't mean the same amount will always arrive to the retail stores each month.

KK

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
AdventureRacing said:

We're quite sure that they quick-shipped a majority of their January's North American stock for their impressive December numbers (1.35 million).

360 will be fine.
Some of you need to settle down.
As you can see when they come in they SELL.
Your everyday consumer does not know that the PS3 outsold the 360 in Jan. and will still know nothing if it happens in February. So momentum is not what is selling the PS3.
Whatever is going on at MS will probably be rectified by March and we'll be back to the same old.
They probably lost out on a few hundred thousand in sales(Jan/Feb). Big deal? Yes.
In the long run? No. Unless this shit continues for a quarter they'll be just fine.

Concept17

Parl said:

How many still work?

You act as if they break down as much as the 360 does.

Nif

I prefer these threads to the posts from creepy people who tail families in electronics stores just to see what kind of games or movies they're buying. Every NPD, I swear. :lol

I'll be very glad when they've cleared the channel of current 360s, especially if they're making the new SKU. The RROD problem needed a real solution.

iosef

tanod said:
BTW, can't we just do February, March, etc. retail thread. Altered Beast can just post once a week. I don't think there needs to be a thread for every week.

The hedge fund analysts who rely on GAF for their channel checks would not be pleased with this.

Alphahawk

Just a couple things to note (I only work on Weekends so this won't take long)

360- Turok is a pretty popular game, not as popular as say Call of Duty 4, or Halo 3 but it's still a brisk seller.

DS-we got a shipment of blue DS's last sunday and we put them out expecting them to sell out in say 5 minutes (they were our first DS Lites we got in a while) they didn't but obviously sold out durring the Week, we now have white, people don't like that color DS for some reason.

Wii: We got some Wiis in and they (like always) sold out pretty fast. You may remember I told you No More Heroes sold out, the first week, since then the sales of it have seen to ble slow, Wii play still is pretty popular.

PSP: We almost sold out of PSP's this week, yesterday we had two Star Wars packs and one Daxter pack left. People are crazy over UMD movies for some reason, we have about a row of them and people are always asking if we have more. Also of note Patapon doesn't appear anywhere on Best Buys in store website which is kind of troubling.

On another note people still want to know if we carry Xbox 1 and Gamecube controllers, and aszk frequently to see our small collection of games for it, BB is probobly throwing a lot of money away by not stocking more of this stuff.

Schrade

Alphahawk said:
On another note people still want to know if we carry Xbox 1 and Gamecube controllers, and aszk frequently to see our small collection of games for it, BB is probobly throwing a lot of money away by not stocking more of this stuff.
I still think it's stupid that Microsoft went and just killed the Xbox when they released the Xbox360. That machine really should have had a lot more life in it like the PS2.

I guess it was MS's way of forcing people to refresh their hardware immediately.

Sony is definitely doing it right in the long run. They're running the marathon for sure.

AdventureRacing said:
Yeah, i think some people are underestimating how big an impact it will have. MS have lost any momentum they had, and unless they've got some big unannounced games or a large price cut coming (i mean like 100$) i think they are in trouble.

It depends. GTA4 is going to be a monster for Microsoft without even the possibility of question. If they can conclusively fix the supply problems well before that (note to Microsoft: that means, like, the next two weeks, duders) and drop to $299 like everyone thinks they will, this little momentum burp will be pretty much forgotten down the line.

On the other hand, if they're stupid enough not to be dropping the price next month....

Schrade said:
I still think it's stupid that Microsoft went and just killed the Xbox when they released the Xbox360. That machine really should have had a lot more life in it like the PS2.
Did you see the $5bn dollars they lost in the last round? Well that was because they were losing an ungodly amount of money on the xbox hardware because of some really bad contracts they had in place. If they had kept it alive then we likely would be talking about them pulling out of the console market right now.

Top Bottom