• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Vice-Presidential Debates 2016 |OT| Your Big Awkward Family Reunion

Who won the debate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
3.) Lastly, I couldn't help but watch Pence on the debate stage and think to myself "I bet the Republicans are shitting themselves right now that they didn't nominate Pence for President".

That doesn't seem to be the tone, from a quick perusal of the usual Republican internet hangouts. I think you might be projecting your own thought processes too much onto the average Republican voter. While a lot of things this election cycle has been unclear, one thing that seems clear to me is that the qualities (and the resultant interpretations of those qualities) that Republicans and Democrats value in their presidential choices have been very different.

They've always kinda been different, but the anti-establishment narrative that is going on now, and which used to be going on in the Democratic primary, is upending a lot of things.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They had their chance. That chance's name was Ted Cruz. Ted Cruz is extreme, just like Pence, but he knows how to be tactful, and won't go on tirades like Trump.

God forbid those would be the only two options, but if it were, I'd still prefer Trump over Cruz. Cruz has not indicated to me any signs that he's not just saying shit people want to hear to get elected. He's a true believer. That's a lot scarier, IMO.

Ithil

They had their chance. That chance's name was Ted Cruz. Ted Cruz is extreme, just like Pence, but he knows how to be tactful, and won't go on tirades like Trump.

Cruz has that weird appearance and voice that gets made fun of, though, Pence looks nondescript and speaks well.

rjinaz

did this dude really think he could just sit their shaking his dead saying everything is false???

He needs to take lessons from the Trump team. They can spin until you vomit.

Though I would imagine Pence, being already in a political position and with future aspirations, can't go that low publicly.

This is precisely why Kaine won the debate. Pence did nothing for the campaign, he only protected himself. Calm nonsense is still nonsense. Deflection is useless if you don't score any points afterward.

And for those thinking that Pence has set himself up for 2020, that's not gonna happen either. Pence may be soft spoken and "respectful", but he's also an avowed bigot, and he makes no qualms about hiding this. He's also thoroughly unpopular in his home state.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And for those thinking that Pence has set himself up for 2020, that's not gonna happen either. Pence may be soft spoken and "respectful", but he's also an avowed bigot, and he makes no qualms about hiding this. He's also thoroughly unpopular in his home state.

And yet Trump became the Nominee.

Trump has proven the Alt-Right of the Republican Party is the base. Is not some fringe, but the biggest block of that party. And in 2020, I bet we see a wide field of Primary Candidates to fill the nutty void that will be left by Trump. You already have guys like Hannity vowing to blame a Clinton victory on the establishment Republicans. I don't think they'll learn from this Election and change, I think the base will just dig their heels in more.

And yet Trump became the Nominee.

Trump has proven the Alt-Right of the Republican Party is the base. Is not some fringe, but the biggest block of that party. And in 2020, I bet we see a wide field of Primary Candidates to fill the nutty void that will be left by Trump. You already have guys like Hannity vowing to blame a Clinton victory on the establishment Republicans. I don't think they'll learn from this Election and change, I think the base will just dig their heels in more.
I don't think a Trump like candidate is going to be the Republican nominee next time, nor will they want someone who will further drive away minorities. (Which Pence will.) The establishment is going to push very hard for someone moderate. I don't doubt that the party will continue to splinter between the moderates and populists though. Trump is tearing the party apart, and they're going to be in serious damage control mode.

You would think so, but they lost in 2012 because Romney failed with minorities and women, and in response they nominated Trump. The party is run by morons.
This is a much bigger mess for them to clean up though. They're gonna try to angle the most affably bland man or woman they can get into the pole position. The party will continue to schism regardless.

Watching Pence's performance, I can't help but be reminded of the oft-repeated observation that many election models would predict high odds of a generic Republican winning this election.

Pence is that generic Republican.

Watching Pence's performance, I can't help but be reminded of the oft-repeated observation that many election models would predict high odds of a generic Republican winning this election.

Pence is that generic Republican.
He seems so at a glance, but he has hyper conservative views on social issues.

If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black..

ZA3uMqL.png

Nice job Trump: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...nted-donald-trump-interrupted-hillary-clinton

Once again, Trump plays the "NO U" card.

This is a much bigger mess for them to clean up though. They're gonna try to angle the most affably bland man or woman they can get into the pole position. The party will continue to schism regardless.

Does it really matter who they try to angle into pole position? They're still going to have the same bigots voting in the primaries, moderates and minorities aren't just going to flock to them post-Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom