• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Vice-Presidential Debates 2016 |OT| Your Big Awkward Family Reunion

Who won the debate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty interesting how the PBS panel last night said the exact same thing and then the Diane Rehms Show panel this morning also had the same takeaway as Nate too.

Also pretty "interesting" hearing a caller during Diane's show say that debate made her wish there was a Pence-Kaine ticket.

if they kept kerry on that would be one of the swaggest cabinets of all time

mackattk

If this isn't the pot calling the kettle black..

ZA3uMqL.png

Nice job Trump: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...nted-donald-trump-interrupted-hillary-clinton

They've never seen him so angry? Lord above, he's going to show up at the next debate pre-shook. Hillary won't even have to do anything to get him off the rails next time, he's going to go off all by himself.

All Hillary has to do is find a way to work in a "not even your own running mate can defend you" soundbite and he'll go off.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Has Trump not come up with a pejorative nickname for Kaine yet? I suppose "Timid Tim" won't work after last night.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Wait

Are they seriously going to have a debate during the Packers-Giants game? Nobody I know will be watching here in Milwaukee.

Futureman

Wait

Are they seriously going to have a debate during the Packers-Giants game? Nobody I know will be watching here in Milwaukee.

DON'T BOTHER VOTING if entertainment is more important to you than people's lives.

oh wait this is also 2016 and you can stream it after.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait

The dates for these debates have been known for a year, it's the NFL that's running a game during the debate. Not the other way around.

The dates for these debates have been known for a year, it's the NFL that's running a game during the debate. Not the other way around.

Not really. It is Sunday after all.

That being said, most People will end up watching the highlights of the debate the next day anyway

Steel

Banned
Wait

They schedule the debates so they all are on different days. If you miss this one, you can catch the next one. Or just watch a stream.

Blader

It's because that block was always horribly misguided and stupid. Same block that supports "outsiders" like Carly Fiorina and Herman Kaine (you know, CEOs of major corporations) or people like Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin who are just in it to make money off of them through book deals and speeches.

It's such a stupid position to have anyway. If I actually want the government to be effective, why wouldn't I want to vote for someone who actually understands government? There is a difference between being an insider and being corrupt.
Anti-establishment conservatives don't want the government to be effective, they want the government to go away.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
DON'T BOTHER VOTING if entertainment is more important to you than people's lives.

oh wait this is also 2016 and you can stream it after.

This is a dumb post. I'm not the one these debates need to convince. Are you assuming that my enjoyment of the Packers means I'm not politically active?

I'm just saying, folks: a lot of undecided voters would rather watch America's Actual Team (TM) play a team from its largest media market rather than a political debate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not really. It is Sunday after all.

That being said, most People will end up watching the highlights of the debate the next day anyway

Considering the last debate set a record for number of viewers and the NFL had to warn it's sponsors that viewership would be down, probably not.

Let's be real though, the NFL could have easily adjusted it's schedule and put a shit game on against the debate. They had more than enough notice.

MIMIC

Banned
Ratings-wise, it was on the low side, with early data averaging it at 36 million. For comparison:

2008: 70 million (Biden-Palin)
2012: 51 million (Biden-Ryan)
2004: 44 million (Cheney-Edwards)
2016: 36 million (Kaine-Pence)
2000: 29 million (Cheney-Lieberman)

But holy shit at that 2008 viewership. That was even higher than the ratings for the main Presidential debate between Obama & McCain (52 million)

Wait

I don't know. I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching someone be moody and childish...and when I've had enough of Odell Beckam I'll switch over to Trump.

Futureman

This is a dumb post. I'm not the one these debates need to convince. Are you assuming that my enjoyment of the Packers means I'm not politically active?

I'm just saying, folks: a lot of undecided voters would rather watch America's Actual Team (TM) play a team from its largest media market rather than a political debate.

I was just joking, but the point remains it's super easy to watch after the fact. Do you really think you are going to miss out in some way if you don't watch it live?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I was just joking, but the point remains it's super easy to watch after the fact. Do you really think you are going to miss out in some way if you don't watch it live?
Nah, I'm fine. I thought my post was a throwaway and didn't expect so many people to respond.

I'll probably have Twitter and GAF open for the debate, TV/GAF for the game. I like reading GAF's live-reactions on a bunch of things.

Gigglepoo

I silently streamed the (terrible) Falcon/Saints game while I had the first debate on the big screen. NBC Sports can be streamed easily on any device and you don't even need a cable subscription. It's pretty easy watching both the game and the debate if you care about both.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ratings-wise, it was on the low side, with early data averaging it at 36 million. For comparison:

2008: 70 million (Biden-Palin)
2012: 51 million (Biden-Ryan)
2004: 44 million (Cheney-Edwards)
2016: 36 million (Kaine-Pence)
2000: 29 million (Cheney-Lieberman)

But holy shit at that 2008 viewership. That was even higher than the ratings for the main Presidential debate between Obama & McCain (52 million)
The Palin effect

Exile20

What's Megyn Kelly deal? She is a FOX News anchor but seems to have far more commonsense than anyone at Fox News. It is so bizarre.

Am I missing something about her?

KingKong

What's Megyn Kelly deal? She is a FOX News anchor but seems to have far more commonsense than anyone at Fox News. It is so bizarre.

She realises how valuable she is to Fox News so she's willing to fight back against Trump. Still an awful person who only cares when she's personally slighted

Goodstyle

She really doesn't have as much common sense as you think. She just hates Trump and thinks homophobia is dumb, that is a very low bar to clear. Watch her coverage of Hillary's Benghazi hearing and her thoughts on a non-white Santa to see why she fits in at FOX.

Exile20

She really doesn't have as much common sense as you think. She just hates Trump and thinks homophobia is dumb, that is a very low bar to clear. Watch her coverage of Hillary's Benghazi hearing and her thoughts on a non-white Santa to see why she fits in at FOX.

Oh okay, I only see her when she is interviewing people pertaining to Trump.

She realises how valuable she is to Fox News so she's willing to fight back against Trump. Still an awful person who only cares when she's personally slighted

Oh ok makes sense.

Anybody who didn't see a monsoon of the most obvious fact-checking possible on the horizon by the 30 minute mark of last night's debate either has no sense or works for Fox News

Off-topic:

Hey guys, I know this is completely off-topic but I can't really make threads yet, so if anyone wants to have a go with this feel free!

António Guterres to be the next UN secretary general. (won with 13 votes in favour out of a total of 15 apparently).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-37566898?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AntGuterres/status/783669832009089024

https://twitter.com/AP/status/783697999402790916

Parabéns António Guterres!

I scored the debate pretty evenly. Here are my 3 main takeaways:

1.) Pence is a cool, calm, and collected politician who felt right at home on the debate stage. Kaine on the other hand came off as anxious, jittery, fumbling, perhaps nervous.

2.) Kaine had a pump-action shotgun loaded with Trumpshot shells that he kept blasting Pence with all night long. Comments on Mexicans, women, nukes, tax returns, etc. that Pence had no answers for. Pence tried his best to duck and weave, but these shots landed clean. The combined effect of these shots clearly showed that Trump is not even remotely qualified to be President.

3.) Lastly, I couldn't help but watch Pence on the debate stage and think to myself "I bet the Republicans are shitting themselves right now that they didn't nominate Pence for President". Pence is CLEARLY the superior Presidential candidate over Trump from a qualification standpoint, and would most likely poll much better than Trump as well. Pence had a tough time trying to defend Trump's bullshit, and Kaine called him out for it numerous times saying basically "how can you sit up here and defend those comments". Pence is smarter than this, and honestly should have never accepted the VP nod.

3.) Lastly, I couldn't help but watch Pence on the debate stage and think to myself "I bet the Republicans are shitting themselves right now that they didn't nominate Pence for President". Pence is CLEARLY the superior Presidential candidate over Trump from a qualification standpoint, and would most likely poll much better than Trump as well. Pence had a tough time trying to defend Trump's bullshit, and Kaine called him out for it numerous times saying basically "how can you sit up here and defend those comments". Pence is smarter than this, and honestly should have never accepted the VP nod.

They had fifteen Pencealikes they could have chosen, they went with the loud racist moron.

They made their bed.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

They had their chance. That chance's name was Ted Cruz. Ted Cruz is extreme, just like Pence, but he knows how to be tactful, and won't go on tirades like Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom