• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USF II (Switch) vs SFV which do you think will sell more in the end?

jholmes

I know SFV was something of a disaster but you're comparing this ludicrously overpriced ROM hack on one platform to a mainline SF game.

Like, does anyone really think a million people will pay all that to play as Violent Ken?

It'll be SFV since it got a good head start due to being a new game but its sales have reached a wall due to the many problems that plague it. USFII will be sell decently over a longer period of time though since it's SFII.

petran79

Banned
Steam isn't doing anything for SFV. According to Steamspy, SF5 sold an absymal 270k units on Steam - that game is just dead in the water. I don't think anything can resurrect it either. It released to bad mainstream reception and people quite simply moved on. SF fans coming around to it won't change the perception of the larger public when there are other alternatives in the fighting genre.

Still, SFV should easily stay ahead of SF2 Switch. It wouldn't surprise me if that one sells surprisingly good and lands somewhere between 500k and a million, but 1.6 million would be quite an (undeserved) achievement for a low-budget, low-effort but overpriced port.

... It wouldn't surprise me if USF2 becomes more profitable than SFV though, considering it should have cost next to nothing to develop. >_>

That game is very finicky.Refused to run with Windowblinds being active.

sphinx

the piano man
is there anything preventing Capcom from releasing new Characters for USF2? or has capcom made any kind of a statement about it?

"Raging Akuma", "aggresive Chun Li", there's still a lot they can do to make USF2 keep selling

ASaiyan

Banned
Oh boy. A fighting game that is so not worth $40 vs a fighting game that struggles to be worth $9.99. Umm, they both lose?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess UFSII, actually. Switch gamers are hungry and overpriced ports are already the norm on this console. It'd have to crack a million to do it, though; we'll see.

Giga Man

is there anything preventing Capcom from releasing new Characters for USF2? or has capcom made any kind of a statement about it?

"Raging Akuma", "aggresive Chun Li", there's still a lot they can do to make USF2 keep selling
Now, you have my interest. Get to it, Capcpom!

The price of two games right now:

ZIj2gCq.jpg

FzxnsPB.png

Anth0ny

I want Oni Akuma, Angel Chun Li and Old Sagat.

L Thammy

I'm confused as to why you bumped this particular thread. It's not comparing the sales of USF II and HD Remix. Were you just looking for anywhere to point out the bad value?

Kouriozan

Oh boy. A fighting game that is so not worth $40 vs a fighting game that struggles to be worth $9.99. Umm, they both lose?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess UFSII, actually. Switch gamers are hungry and overpriced ports are already the norm on this console. It'd have to crack a million to do it, though; we'll see.
Actually that didn't work for I Am Setsuna or Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 in Japan.
The "X owners are hungry" is just a console war argument.

A good comparison would be the Seiken Densetsu Collection releasing soon in Japan.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
SFV will outsell the USF2, as it'll have longer legs. I mean, it's the latest SF game, while USF2 is an overpriced port that will be forgotten about once Arms and other, more modern fighters show up.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well USF II is a legit good game i got for 26 bucks.
Coop vs cpu is such a fun mode
The gfx and sound never get old.
Arcade mode and great online.
Plus amazing art galery
It will prob drop in price.

SF5 is a piece of shit game that lacks soul and is filled with shit tier money grabbing sheit.
I wasted 54 bucks on it.

My money is on USFII after it gets the obv price drop.

Tldr.. fuck SFV

Mory Dunz

SFV easily.

Bomberman looks like it'll sell the most of the "3rd party smaller games near launch" and I'm not sure even that will beat SF5 when more Switch games keep coming out.

fernoca

Though you can just edit the colors and be more aggresive playing. :p

plufim

Sales of bomberman make this a less cut and dry answer. There is clearly a market for these older games from that era, even at full price.

mindsale

How is this a thread?

Street Fighter V sold 1.5m copies by February 2017, and there are roughly 2m Switches in the world.

I don't see Ultra Shit Fighter 2 having a 75% attach rate.

How is this a thread?

Street Fighter V sold 1.5m copies by February 2017, and there are roughly 2m Switches in the world.

I don't see Ultra Shit Fighter 2 having a 75% attach rate.
It's a ridiculous thread but your Switch numbers are way off. It had sold nearly 3M on the first month, it should be near 4M now.

Seik

Banned
I mean, yeah, USFII numbers are low, but I'm pretty sure Capcom is already scoring a profit on it and is laughing big time. Game surely didn't cost much to produce.

Like, they're slowing untying their belt buckles to have enough space for their stomach to handle the big, greasy laugh. :lol

I bought it so I'm part of the problem too, but I guess I have too much money to spent, game is enjoyable though, despite the horrible price tag on it.

ViolentP

The Switch is still in that window where people are clamoring for something new to play so that should help sales a bit. But as a product in itself, I don't expect it to break any sales records.

Wait, is this a serious question??? I think no one in his mind doubts than SFV is going to sell more in the long run (it's not like it's a much better game tho, but at least Capcom is supporting with new content).

Seik

Banned
The Switch is still in that window where people are clamoring for something new to play so that should help sales a bit. But as a product in itself, I don't expect it to break any sales records.

Sounds like my take on it.

I definitely bought it to scratch that fighting game itch and I wanted online matches, which the NEO GEO games couldn't cover...Still want to buy MotW at some point though.

llehuty

The real question is which one of the two will give more profits,and taking into account that USF II is almost a ROM dump... you already have the answer...

Makes you wonder if Capcom will actually bother with a new Street Fighter in the near future.

entremet

I know SFV was something of a disaster but you're comparing this ludicrously overpriced ROM hack on one platform to a mainline SF game.

Like, does anyone really think a million people will pay all that to play as Violent Ken?

Yes. It's not so much about Violent Ken. It's having a SF game on new platform.

And ppl bringing up HDR make no sense. Ppl aren't playing PS3s anymore if we are using current software sales as metric of platform health. Moreover, USF2 has a retail presence, which helps with marketing more than some buried title on a legacy platform.

Come on, guys. Up your analysis game!

ViolentP

Sounds like my take on it.

I definitely bought it to scratch that fighting game itch and I wanted online matches, which the NEO GEO games couldn't cover...Still want to buy MotW at some point though.

With all the versions of Street Fighter I own, including multiple HD remakes, I still considered this. Booted up Isaac instead.

Top Bottom