• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USF II (Switch) vs SFV which do you think will sell more in the end?

Doctre81

USF2 will sell very well after the price cut. That's the only thing keeping people away honestly. They should have ditched way of the hado and made the game $25.

Gators300

Banned
USF2 will sell very well after the price cut. That's the only thing keeping people away honestly. They should have ditched way of the hado and made the game $25.

I think this is correct. The game will have some very good legs digitally, I think, once it hits $20. At that price point, I think there are a lot of Switch owners who will want a classic 2D fighter to play on the go, and this will fit that bill quite nicely. I expect a price cut in a month or two.

So like is this thread because USF2 is on Switch? Like is this a stealth "how many billions will Switch or [insert game] sell" thread? Like if lets say USF2 launched on PS4 instead of switch, would we be having this conversation?

yurinka

SFV, SFII it's an overpriced old port with a few enhacements and extras. If it sells it would be due to lack of competition in the platform, and because SFII a classic as happened with SFIIHD.

Back in PS3 and 360, the extra HD artwork was uglier than the original and the new stuff was just ok.

Right now SFV is an awesome, fresh game that only lacks an Arcade Mode and maybe one or two extra single player game modes. Other than that, they have been improving and expanding it and will continue doing it.

Kyzer

Banned
So like is this thread because USF2 is on Switch? Like is this a stealth "how many billions will Switch or [insert game] sell" thread? Like if lets say USF2 launched on PS4 instead of switch, would we be having this conversation?

Its also a "how few copies will SFV sell"

How much did SFV sell so far? Is there a reason to believe many people will jump in so late in the game? I know they are pushing season 2 but they pushed new characters for the entirety of last year and it never really took off
SFV, SFII it's an overpriced old port with a few enhacements and extras. If it sells it would be due to lack of competition in the platform, and because SFII a classic as happened with SFIIHD.

Back in PS3 and 360, the extra HD artwork was uglier than the original and the new stuff was just ok.

Right now SFV is an awesome, fresh game that only lacks an Arcade Mode and maybe one or two extra single player game modes. Other than that, they have been improving and expanding it and will continue doing it.
fresh and awesome? Its a year old and what i played a year ago was really meh.
as much as USFII is just a rehash its also a rehash of the pinnacle of fighting games

Also dont forget its portable. I really loved SFII (and SFA3) on GBA despite the fact it was a pretty shoddy port

fernoca

Guess depends on what Capcom expects.
SFV never did the estimated numbers and they haven't talked about USFII yet, so we'll see.

Though knowing Capcom, they probably expect like 2 million copies in 2 months.

Scoops

Banned
Once it hits $20 I think SF2 will be a good seller on Switch. One of those titles with legs people retroactively pick up.

The Hermit

I don't know, but both will sell less than they should.

Cacpcom failed both even though I bought them.

The fact that we're making this comparison shows how bad Capcom messed with SFV. It should be selling a lot higher than it already is.

Exactly. Either way Capcom loses

CronoShot

I know SFV didn't exactly set the world on fire, but USF2 has flop written all over it. Hardly anyone is going to be willing to spend $40 on it.

Mesoian

ARMS is gonna cutoff USFII's sales. There's no way it'll have a chance to reach a million.

This Arms and Splatoon are going to sideswipe any real traction USF2 could possibly get. Capcom would have been smarter porting their 3rd strike 360 port to switch to have at launch. No one wants a SF2 nostalgia pick at full price.

If Super Bomberman R, the game that got shat on pre-release like no other Switch game, can reach 500k within a few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if lifetime USFII sales > SFV.

I feel like this is a dumb question, SFV is going to sell more. USF II is on one console that has <3 million copies worldwide while SFV is on PC & ps4, is not a rerelease of a 20+ year old game, had a marketing campaign, and has better reviews (excluding salty user reviews)

And we have capcom saying they're gonna base their investment with switch on the performance of a rerelease 20+ year old game that has some serious issues it seems. Ugh

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
How much doeas USFII cost on the French e-shop? Can I change my profile country and buy if from there, if it cost less as on Amazon.fr?

Varth

Of course Street Fighter V, since it's a game for teh hardcorez FGC scene, and we all know that's what counts for sales.

MrCarter

I think CAPCOM is scared to keep USF4 relevant. Don't wanna stop people from buying 5.

If it was relevant it would still keep on selling on the PS4 and continue being very popular in tournies. Yet, none of those points are true.

I think with USF2 it does have the potential to sell very well but I'm not sure at that price point. Either way it's good for Capcom as revenue goes back to them.

Feeroper

I think the sales of USFII on Switch vs SFV is going to be a lot closer than a lot of people here think.

USFII evokes nostalgia for casual fans and at a time when the system is in need of software - the nature of USFII combined with the portability of the Switch is a big deal I think.

SFV is limited in that the majority of the content is geared solely towards the competitive FGC, and casuals generally aren't welcomed. The single player content is very weak on SFV, especially lacking something as basic as an arcade mode.

I would have liked to have seen SFV reach the level of success the franchise deserves, but Capcom made a bit of a mess of it in the grand scheme of things and has to make their bed now.

No, but what is 'terrible' about it? Especially considering you've never played it?

The game is terrible.

To change Vega to fireball character for the sake of making it easier ruined the game.

Changes to chun-li, Bison or others to make it easier was silly.

They are trying to sell you everything under the sun with this title.

Even the seasonal roster thing is crap.

Always signed on BS

Being signed off randomly and having to log-in.

No Arcade mode

SFV will make more money because it's still breathing with constant updates, seasons, costumes etc.

USFII seems to do pretty well though. looks like you can't kill SFII, no matter what you do.

Celcius

°Temp. member
USF2 will get nowhere close to SFV. Not only because SFV is the more modern game but also because it gets constant updates and hasn't basically been available 20 years already and also the FGC is bigger on PS4 + PC than Switch.

USF2 will get nowhere close to SFV. Not only because SFV is the more modern game but also because it gets constant updates and hasn't basically been available 20 years already and also the FGC is bigger on PS4 + PC than Switch.

After the launch period, it took SFV nine months to sell another hundred thousand units. Its service model isn't really helping the game sell any more copies. The FGC also means just about jack for how well a fighting game does commercially.

That being said, yes, it'll very likely handily outsell USFII.

Crayon

Sfv got incredibly bad word of mouth. Around launch a guy told me he wasn't getting it because there was too little content. I asked him what content means and he was stumped.

Top Bottom