• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utah judge calls rapist an "extraordinarily good man" at rape sentencing hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judge is probably a Mormon, and is sympathetic to his fellow Mormon who has a wife and a shitload of kids--like a lot of Mormon families in Utah...minus the rapist part, of course.

That's the only reason I can think of. Otherwise, that's super gross and shameful.

There was a FBI agent who spoke to my class once and told us that Utah has some of the worst convictions in the country because it's all a "Good ol' Boy club." Mostly everyone's a part of the church, mostly everyone's white, so it's like a giant clique with judges always looking out for terrible people like this.

She said she hates it because years of investigate work can all be worthless because the judge just doesn't want to be "harsh" on the guy.

Another great thing about my state having no separation of church and state!

Biske

The quote in the title in OP and article seem to be "an extraordinarily good man" but the actual direct quote says "an extraordinary, good man". Close but not the same.

Still a very disappointing report.

I don't know why the different articles quote it differently, but I believe the TV news report and audio also has it as "extraordinarily"

But seriously? That's the bone your gonna pick, the specific degree of high praise the judge gives the rapist??

Like "calm down fellas he only said he was an extraordinary good man". The fuck...

Biske

Give me a state, i'll give you a rape scandal.

(BYU now gives immunity for rape reports btw)

And all of them states with a high population of one religion with enormous control and power connected to said rape scandals?

BYU now gives immunity.NOW gives immunity. After it was a fucking scandal they had to decide to not punish rape victims under the honor code.

The fact that they had to be coerced to protect rather than punish rape victims. Says it all.

He rapes, but he saves?

tumblr_mgir5yw2x11rvzu9do1_250.gif

Good men can make mistakes, but there is no such thing as a good man that has raped or sexually assaulted multiple woman. That's like, a defining characteristic that makes you a bad man.

Honestly, hearing that makes me feel this judge's, well, judgement is highly questionable at best.

Mathieran

Banned
The bar for being a good man just keeps getting set lower and lower. All I have to do is not kill my wife and children and I will go down as an exceptional husband.

Hermii

I'm going to put "extraordinarily good man" on my resume, because I never raped, murdered or tortured anyone.

Dryk

You're getting it backwards, him being a good man doesn't excuse his rape, the jury are wrong, he can't be a real rapist because he's a good man. They got 50 character witnesses to declare he's a good man, and obviously someone that well liked is never capable of raping anyone. I mean, it's not like someone who is that well regarded in a community that excuses the crimes of the well regarded would ever use that fact as a cover for crimes... right?

Lurch666

I'm not religious in the slightest but sometimes I wish there was a heaven and hell so people like this could burn.

Yeah,a guy who commits ten acts of rape along with one rape with an object is a good guy.

What the fuck, get this cunt off the bench and look into his past. No way someone can sympathise with a serial rapist and not have some fucked up shit in their past. No fucking way.

Please remove this judge. I can't imagine being the victim in such a case and have a judge say something like that. What a scumbag.

I'm not religious in the slightest but sometimes I wish there was a heaven and hell so people like this could burn.

I always found it weird that people call out child marriages in Middle Eastern/South East Asian communities (rightly so), but child marriages that go on in the Mormon community are seemingly brushed under the carpet.

This is shit that's happening in the US' backyard, it's not happening in some dirt poor village where girls are forced into marriage because their parents can't afford to feed them/need the dowry from the marriage.

I always found it weird that people call out child marriages in Middle Eastern/South East Asian communities (rightly so), but child marriages that go on in the Mormon community are seemingly brushed under the carpet.

This is shit that's happening in the US' backyard, it's not happening in some dirt poor village where girls are forced into marriage because their parents can't afford to feed them/need the dowry from the marriage.

Mormons have the complexion to make the connection.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Horrifying. How could a judge have such little respect for the victims of the case? What a way to deny the victims justice at the last moment

Red

Mormon fundamentalists tend to disregard the humanity of women, and it would not surprise me if the judge identifies with those beliefs. I don't know how else to digest this story.

III-V

"I don't think it's wrong to acknowledge the good things that someone has done in their lives," the prosecutor said. "But I think whenever you do that in a case like this, you've also got to say, 'But it doesn't excuse what you've done.' "

Gross. OFC it doesn't. I feel like judges get too caught up in what the perceive to the the person's past or future when they make decisions. Don't they have a responsibility to be objective, or is that just my imagination.

danm999

I love the reasoning for letting him out on bail. Oh his victims are from out of state.

HE'S A SERIAL RAPIST HE'LL FIND NEW VICTIMS.

Aesthet1c

I don't known what alt facts you are working off of, but child marriages are not a thing in Mormon culture.

However garbage like this judge defending a serial rapist just because he held a high position in the church definitely is a thing and its disgusting.

RPGCrazied

I don't understand time and time again we have judges defending the rapist. Its pretty disgusting. It makes me wonder how he even got the job to begin with. Must be a Republican.

I don't known what alt facts you are working off of, but child marriages are not a thing in Mormon culture.

Alt facts huh?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/09/sheriff-covered-up-mormon-child-marriage.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/opinion/americas-child-marriage-problem.html

It's not just limited to Mormons in the US, my issue is that's the one that's rarely talked about. The stories of abuse you hear about in that community from people who escaped its clutches also just tend to be swept away without much thought.

Alt facts though huh. It's okay if you're a Mormon, I'm not attacking your personally, just what the religion you choose to follow allows to be done in its name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom