• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utah judge calls rapist an "extraordinarily good man" at rape sentencing hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The quote in the title in OP and article seem to be "an extraordinarily good man" but the actual direct quote says "an extraordinary, good man". Close but not the same.

Still a very disappointing report.
Really? That's what disappoints you, the utterly irrelevant and insignificant hair-splitting over wording in that report? And not the awful story itself?

At least you got your priorities straight.
/s

Really? That's what disappoints you, the utterly irrelevant and insignificant hair-splitting over wording in that report? And not the awful story itself?

At least you got your priorities straight.
/s

The poster said the report is disappointing which is the story. They aren't just disappointed with the minor error they noticed.

Biske

Don't think he's sentenced yet, just free to do as he pleases until sentencing occurs.

He was sent free while he awaited sentencing, by this same judge. The latest "good man" comments were made during the sentencing hearing the man is going to prison, which apparently the judge just feels awful over, cause he's such a good guy, judge feels terrible about ruining this man's life.

You'd think a professional judge would have some kind of algorithm in their brain telling them that praising the perpetrator of a violent crime in front of the victim of said crime is extraordinarily bad form.

Like, setting aside the fact this seems to happen especially often with rape (though this could be a result of media coverage, would be interested to see stats), how can someone in this high a position in society be quite this oblivious in terms of sensitivity?

alejob

So GAF is now sounding like Trump.

No good comes from Utah, they are rapists and some I assume are good people.

Biske

The quote in the title in OP and article seem to be "an extraordinarily good man" but the actual direct quote says "an extraordinary, good man". Close but not the same.

Still a very disappointing report.

Found the audio of it. Extraordinarily is what was used. http://www.good4utah.com/news/local-news/judge-compliments-former-lds-bishop-convicted-of-rape-during-sentencing/692338545

So GAF is now sounding like Trump.

No good comes from Utah, they are rapists and some I assume are good people.

Obviously not every Utahn or mormon is a rapist. But the Patriarchy and good old mormon boys club is a very real and powerful thing here. People will often go out of their way to deny or not believe something bad was done by a church member, leader, bishop etc.

Slut shaming is very real. Girls need to dress modestly, lest they go about tempting these poor boys.

Its definitely a systemic issue here with the way women are treated and viewed.

cameron

This is another layer of bullshit that no victim should have to deal with.

The Guardian article on this story states that the Judge attended BYU, but it's unclear if he's a member of the LDS. It seems unlikely that this level of fucked up sobbing praise would be given out by a non-Mormon; both the judge and the bishop follow the extreme cult version of the faith. Fundies are always quick to rush in and defend this sort of garbage, with various mental gymnastics.

Idiot judge says idiotic thing.

Lets blame the whole state.

Give me a state, i'll give you a rape scandal.
(BYU now gives immunity for rape reports btw)

The major catalyst for policy change at BYU was public outcry as victims came forward with their stories, and large scale public support as the victims advocated for reform. One would think an academic institution with whatever religious influence/guidance would have a better moral compass than the general public and the abhorrent treatment of victims would never have occurred.

Also, last year there was a short thread on GAF about the treatment of one of the victims and BYU's honor code nonsense( BYU shortly after created an Advisory Council as result of her story and public outcry btw). Unsurprisingly, you rushed into that thread and mocked its creation, mischaracterized why people were outraged, and hand-waived away the honor code bullshit as "nothing new for society".

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1210050

Posts (quoting the first two, but there's a steady stream of utterly worthless follow-ups):
Came in expecting johnsmith to be the thread creator, and people not know what the hell they are talking about because they can't read.

Left satisfied.
Majority of people in here are assuming that the sexual assault is an honor code violation and there is punishment for it. The school investigates said claims and find violations (alcohol consumption, ect). There is debate whether or not violations should be overlooked under said investigation but this is nothing new for society. If under a criminal investigation and illegal activity is found , said victim can still be charged for illicit activities. The only difference in this case is the "illegal activity" is a violation of the honor code. A difference? absolutely.. but again, this scenario is not new.

When is "nothing new" a valid argument for anything? People making generalizations about a state is also "nothing new" (Texas, Florida, etc all get shit). It's nothing new, yet you came into this thread whining about a few posters blaming "the whole state". I get it though; people saying mean things about Utah or BYU is a top priority for you.

Aesthet1c

Alt facts huh?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/09/sheriff-covered-up-mormon-child-marriage.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/opinion/americas-child-marriage-problem.html

It's not just limited to Mormons in the US, my issue is that's the one that's rarely talked about. The stories of abuse you hear about in that community from people who escaped its clutches also just tend to be swept away without much thought.

Alt facts though huh. It's okay if you're a Mormon, I'm not attacking your personally, just what the religion you choose to follow allows to be done in its name.

Your article references the FLDS church which isn't the same as the Mormon church. I'm not Mormon, but I was raised Mormon and lived in Utah my entire life and never once seen a reference to child marriage within the Mormon religion. Unless you are talking about girls getting married fresh out of high school, because its full of that lol.

Alt facts huh?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/09/sheriff-covered-up-mormon-child-marriage.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/opinion/americas-child-marriage-problem.html

It's not just limited to Mormons in the US, my issue is that's the one that's rarely talked about. The stories of abuse you hear about in that community from people who escaped its clutches also just tend to be swept away without much thought.

Alt facts though huh. It's okay if you're a Mormon, I'm not attacking your personally, just what the religion you choose to follow allows to be done in its name.

Yeah. You are clueless.

FLDS =/= Mormon Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom