• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth delisted from PlayStation Store in the west

Guilty_AI

PS digital game sharing superiority?
625ef8fa53fdf20b28f5c9bb47183a37.gif

What lines?
PS digital game sharing superiority?
Dude what are you talking about lol? I noticed you getting salty in any thread that has to do with PC. That can't be healthy. Enjoy your playstation, but don't forget that it's far from the best digital store or have policies that are similar to or anywhere near as good as PC.

S0ULZB0URNE

Dude what are you talking about lol? I noticed you getting salty in any thread that has to do with PC. That can't be healthy. Enjoy your playstation, but don't forget that it's far from the best digital store or have policies that are similar to or anywhere near as good as PC.
1. It's a PLAYSTATION TOPIC thread
2. Stalking and or following isn't healthy.
3. You troll everything that is console.
4. Superior game sharing alone makes it far better then all of my PC game services for my usage.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Let us embrace our digital-only future! :messenger_grinning_smiling:
What's the matter with that? The ones that bought it already will keep having access to the game anyway

sublimit

Banned
What's the matter with that? The ones that bought it already will keep having access to the game anyway
I never said that they don't.

But those who don't have the games yet or were waiting for a sale now they will have to get them physically.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I never said that they don't.

But those who don't have the games yet or were waiting for a sale now they will have to get them physically.
Well, stores run out of physical stock and there's no much difference between used and piracy anyway

lachesis

Although it was somewhat mid-low tier in my wanted list for my Vita, it's pretty disheartening to see it go down in digital format.
Not so sure of this particular title, but some physical copies are getting pretty darn expensive.. :(

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't agree with this and i've explained why a few posts above. But if you think they are similar more power to you. Each to his own.
Just in the fact that devs or publisher get no compensation for their game in that transaction.

Physical has its advantages over digital, but the availability is actually a disadvantage since digital can't be "out of stock", just delisted (which are very special cases).

BTW, anyone recommend this franchise to Fire Emblem fans like me? I like SRPG + anime but haven't heard much about this one.

lyan

If a publisher delists a game and makes no announcement they'll put it back up, you can be sure you won't be seeing it again for many many years, if ever.
And guess what, if you buy an used game during the period the game off the stores, they'll also lose a sale in the future all the same (assuming they'll put it back up again at some point). Are you stealing then too?
Kind of a chicken and egg problem, renegotiating the license are unlikely to be worthwhile when people casually resort to piracy. And while buying used games result in the same, on the whole its reach is far less than something like a torrent due to physical and economical constraints.

Guilty_AI

Kind of a chicken and egg problem, renegotiating the license are unlikely to be worthwhile when people casually resort to piracy. And while buying used games result in the same, on the whole its reach is far less than something like a torrent due to physical and economical constraints.
Nah, they don't because there's usually low interest for these old releases in the first place.
VNs like the one in the OP for example rarely sell that much, so i doubt big publishers have any interest in renegotiating rights to sell them, in the end it'll be up to whoever owns the IP (I think its Aquaplus?) what becomes of it on the PS.

And about the lesser reach of used games, that's exactly what i was talking about a few posts before how just physical games aren't enough to preserve games, we need piracy for that whether you like it or not.

In fact, ironically, lots of older games for sale nowadays that used some sort of DRM in the past actually use scene cracks, either because the source code was lost or there's no one to do the R&D necessary to remove the DRM from it. Without piracy we might not even have had some of these old games being sold in the first place, further showing how important it is for game preservation.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You do know that if you bought the game you always got access to download it again?

Also when games are old they dont press the discs no more so you be hard pressed to find them on sale in the shops still

i dont see what’s the problem is

A bit disingenuous to mention piracy in a digital versus physical debate.

But yes piracy is the ultimate and only videogame preservation unfortunately. Its not digital that ruins gaming its copyright and licensing.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This is hardly a digital-only problem though. Physical games also stop being produced at some point, and existing stock is limited.

Like it or not, piracy is the only realistic way for game preservation.
We can now back up our digital games on harddrives you you always have them. Piracy is not needed

FStubbs

Delisting means that if you have already bought the games then you can still download them just fine.

But the problem with moves like this is in a hypothetical digital-only future this would have meant that you would have had no other option to buy the games.

In any case i'm glad i have the physical versions (on PS4).
Wasn't there some Konami game on PS4 that got delisted so badly you couldn't even re-download it, and Sony tried to release an update which deleted it if you had it?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

We can now back up our digital games on harddrives you you always have them. Piracy is not needed
Thats for the preservation of your own games, i'm refering to cases where someone many years from now on wants to play a game that stopped being produced and isn't sold anywhere.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Thats for the preservation of your own games, i'm refering to cases where someone many years from now on wants to play a game that stopped being produced and isn't sold anywhere.

well if you don't own the game you should not have access to it?

I would add with digital there is more chance of games being able to be accessed in future rather than on stored media from a perspective of playing old games

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

well if you don't own the game you should not have access to it?

I would add with digital there is more chance of games being able to be accessed in future rather than on stored media from a perspective of playing old games
I'm looking from a cultural perspective, not a capitalist one.
If you can't get a game legally because it isn't sold anymore, getting it through piracy is often the only viable option.

You could argue that in such case the player has no right to play the game and should just not play it, but that's basically saying its fine to let cultural products die out for the sake of keeping up appearances in the rules of monetary exchange, something which i heavily disagree with.

This doesn't just go for games either. Movies, books, music, all this cool stuff that could even be considered part of history would just disappear if we just blindly kept following copyright rules. Its extremely important to save as much as we can, and there's no better way to do it than infinitely copying them.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You do know that if you bought the game you always got access to download it again?

Also when games are old they dont press the discs no more so you be hard pressed to find them on sale in the shops still

i dont see what’s the problem is
This isn't true.
Games do get taken down from these stores.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If you can't get a game legally because it isn't sold anymore, getting it through piracy is often the only viable option.

You could argue that in such case the player has no right to play the game and should just not play it, but that's basically saying its fine to let cultural products die out for the sake of keeping up appearances in the rules of monetary exchange, something which i heavily disagree with.

This doesn't just go for games either. Movies, books, music, all this cool stuff that could even be considered part of history would just disappear if we just blindly kept following copyright rules. Its extremely important to save as much as we can, and there's no better way to do it than infinitely copying them.
But if you haven’t got the disc you can’t play it anyway and its hard pressed to find limited Ps1 and Sega Saturn games as it is. If they were digital then it would be easier to store them.

the problem we have now is company’s are more savvy with licences for music and what not so there is a limit time games can be available both via disc sales or digital sales.

I think there needs to be more pressure to make the consoles makers aka Sony Microsoft and Nintendo to make their consoles digital backwards comparable with your software library. I bought games on my Wii U (yeah I know) that I can’t access on my switch that are available on switch. How’s that a thing?

same with Sony and digital games from ps3 onwards.

Microsoft are better with this but still a long way to go for them to

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes but if you own the game you can redownload it at any time.

I have outrun 2 on the 360 and it is no long available on the store but I can redownload the game anytime from my purchase library

same with for a horizon 3
Huh? It won’t let me get Outrun,Marvel Vs Capcom 2,Transformers (Cybertron games) off the top of my head.
How/where are you getting Outrun?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Huh? It won’t let me get Outrun,Marvel Vs Capcom 2,Transformers (Cybertron games) off the top of my head.
How/where are you getting Outrun?
Do you own it? Go into account setting and purchase history and it’s there to redownload

1. Sign in to Xbox Live on your console using the gamertag that you used when you originally purchased the content.
  2. Go to settings and select Account.
  3. Select Download History.
  4. Browse your download history and find the item you want to download again.
  5. Select the item, and then select Download Again.

Last edited:

Most countries have national libraries where they literally store every book that ever came out. Unfortunately videogames aren't valued culturally.

S0ULZB0URNE

Do you own it? Go into account setting and purchase history and it’s there to redownload

1. Sign in to Xbox Live on your console using the gamertag that you used when you originally purchased the content.
  2. Go to settings and select Account.
  3. Select Download History.
  4. Browse your download history and find the item you want to download again.
  5. Select the item, and then select Download Again.
Yes I own it.
Series X?

Protocol7

Any chance another editor is going to get it for the West? Like Danganronpa for example.

Can't believe I hesitated when they were on sale... ugh...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Maybe people just need to stop lazily assuming games will be available to buy forever, you know like pretty much every other product on the market.

vkbest

It sure is. lol

If you're not offering me a way to buy your game, then you've got no right to bitch about missing out on my money.

You can buy physical disc on PS4 yet. Besides, the game being retired now, don't means they will not release again on several stores.

Last edited:
Mhhh - no. It's not your game. You don't have rights and licenses. If Mercedes decides they will will no longer produce any G-Classes, are you going to steal one?
We went over this already on the first page. At least come up with something new.

You can buy physical disc on PS4 yet. Besides, the game being retired now, don't means they will not release again on several stores.
Maybe this particular game. But there are hundreds of games that will disappear entirely when Sony shuts down the PSP/PS3/Vita stores later this year, and most of them will never show up again anywhere else.

That being said, if a game becomes available again, I can just buy it then, even if I've pirated it already. I've done that before, and I will do it again. In the meantime, though, I'm not just gonna sit back and patiently wait for it to happen.

Last edited:

Kupfer

We went over this already on the first page. At least come up with something new.
TLDR
That being said, if a game becomes available again, I can just buy it then, even if I've pirated it already. I've done that before, and I will do it again. In the meantime, though, I'm not just gonna sit back and patiently wait for it to happen.
I take my fedora off to you, preserver of games, pirate of the wrongly deleted games.

Joking aside, let's be honest. I probably won't miss games that I haven't been interested in and played in the last 15 years. Everyone is free to catch up now, buy games and save them forever on their hard drive. But using the closure of the shop as an excuse for piracy sounds like it's coming from a 17yo small-town rebel.

I probably won't miss games that I haven't been interested in and played in the last 15 years.
Speak for yourself. I mostly play older games from the 90s and early 2000s. This includes not only games I've played before, but also ones that I only recently discovered and never knew about or wasn't even interested in back when they originally released. If I'm lucky they're on Steam or GOG and I'll buy them there. If they're not, I'm heading right on over to the bay.

Everyone is free to catch up now, buy games and save them forever on their hard drive.
The problem is that you won't always know what you'll want to play in the future, and buying all games on a dying store and saving them all on half a dozen hard drives just in case you might want to play them someday is hardly a practical solution.

Oh, and as illustrated in the video posted above, your PSP/PS3/Vita games will become non-functional once your CMOS battery dies and Sony discontinues PSN on those devices (which we all know is gonna happen at some point) so eventual loss of access is inevitable.

But using the closure of the shop as an excuse for piracy sounds like it's coming from a 17yo small-town rebel.
Call me whatever you want. I'm not gonna waste my time waiting for games that have been unavailable for years to get digital releases just so people on an online message board won't call me names.

Last edited:
Top Bottom