• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action |OT| Do Androids Drink To Electric Beats?

Astarte

I'm surprised that people are finishing this so fast. Just how short is this VN?

Took me around 6 hours to get through it the first time with most of the endings. I actually spent my time enjoying everything, but people accuse me of being a speedrunner :v

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I finished the game today. Wow, that was really way better than I'd expected. Great game overall, and the visuals and music were absolutely impeccable.

This game is also, as far as I'm concerned, the model for how to incorporate gay/lesbian characters into a game. Here, it's a part of who a given character is, and it's relevant. It feels like a natural part of conversation. I shake my head when the devs for something like Dishonored 2 brag about having prominent LGBT characters in their game, like they're on a mission to do anything other than check a few boxes and score points with people on message boards. So, hats off to Sukeban.

Anyway, now to discover what's in New Game+. And I'm also curious how I unlock the rest of the music. I only got like... 2 of the ??? songs in my first playthrough. I gotta hear it all.

I read a proper review of this somewhere and didn't realize before that there are no dialogue choices; the branching paths are only determined by your bartender duties. A bit disappointed by that, but will probably still pick up. And probably pick it up full price because the team is from Venezuela and I think far-flung studios like that should be supported and encouraged.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finished. Pleasant game and my one main gripe is it didn't go further. Still in the dark about Alice Rabbit, Gil, the Lilim stuff.

Maybe a sequel someday.

hoggert

Finished. Pleasant game and my one main gripe is it didn't go further. Still in the dark about Alice Rabbit, Gil, the Lilim stuff.

Maybe a sequel someday.

While I think some of that is intentional (especially Gillian,) did you get all the endings? There's "stuff" in the lead up to and the endings themselves that clarified enough for me personally, but I like things that take place peripherally to big events like the bank.

Haly

No I can't be arsed to replay the game that many times :x

Will wait for a wiki summary or whatever.

hoggert

You can use CTRL to skip dialogue. It doesn't stop when unread text pops up though. Took me maybe 2-3 hours on my second run through the game.

There's also complete scripts in the game's folder. Useful if you get drunk and forget what the hell was going on in game.

Haly

Oh what, I never knew about CTRL.

Usually you hold space bar to go through old dialogue...

I really hope this game gets more exposure, since Steamspy doesn't really suggest it sold very well and the devs probably need all the money they can get. It's probably the best anime-style VN I've ever played and isn't as stupidly long as some other VNs are and ends just when it needs to. I'd love a sequel but I think the story as it stands is complete and would like to see what else this team can make.

Haly

Oh! I guess I got the bad ending for failing to pay my rent.

Whatever man, Alma da bes.

hoggert

Yeah, the endings stack thankfully. Some of the endings are triggers for other endings too iirc. There's a spreadsheet in one of the guides up on steam that has all the "right" drinks listed out. If you miss any text or whatever, you can also scroll up using the middle mouse button, and Q W E R T Y for fast drink pouring as mentioned earlier in the thread. Makes things a lot more convenient.

I would really recommend playing it through again. Saying this as someone who didn't even super duper love the game.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is there really no quicksave feature in this game? I just accidentally skipped a bunch of dialogue and it was really frustrating not being able to load a save without going back all the way to the beginning of the day. Or knowing that if something comes up in real life I can't even save my spot, I have to keep it running.

Wait, there's no save feature in this at all? Like, you have to straight up leave the game running in the background? What the heck

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Ah ok, that's fine then, as long as there's reasonable places to stop and quit.

Is the demo being suggested for narrative reasons, or just because it's different content?
Both. The demo takes place right before the start of the main game. The events in the demo gets referenced in the main game as well. The demo is free to play on their itch.io site.

Squire

Banned
I really hope this game gets more exposure, since Steamspy doesn't really suggest it sold very well and the devs probably need all the money they can get. It's probably the best anime-style VN I've ever played and isn't as stupidly long as some other VNs are and ends just when it needs to. I'd love a sequel but I think the story as it stands is complete and would like to see what else this team can make.

I just bought Read Only Memories, myself. That's on sale right now and is apparently set before and in the same world as VA-11 with some of its characters appearing in VA-11 as well. Pretty sure
Dana is the female cop
for instance.

Just finished getting the last achievement for VA-11, Focus glitched for me on the first playthrough so I had to do a quick second run on a save file with all shop items bought to trigger it. Overall I really enjoyed my time with the game, it would have been nice to get a bit more closure on the ton of loose threads rather than the few characters that were handpicked to get endings, but since it leaves the path open for a sequel one day I don't mind that much.

Kvik

Is anyone still gushing about the soundtrack? Because I want to gush about the soundtrack.

I love electronica, and some of the tracks in the game wouldn't be out of place if it's dropped in a tech-house/techno DJ set. I even try to "build" the jukebox playlist so it works precisely like a tech-house set. It's a shame there's only fade out/fade in between tracks, it would've been amazing to hear the entirety of the playlist if the tracks were arranged and mixed just in the right order.

I forgot to screenshot my playlist, I'll probably do so later on, but I'm interested to see what other people's Jill like to play in their Vallhalla jukebox.

Danny Dudekisser

Is anyone still gushing about the soundtrack? Because I want to gush about the soundtrack.

I love electronica, and some of the tracks in the game wouldn't be out of place if it's dropped in a tech-house/techno DJ set. I even try to "build" the jukebox playlist so it works precisely like a tech-house set. It's a shame there's only fade out/fade in between tracks, it would've been amazing to hear the entirety of the playlist if the tracks were arranged and mixed just in the right order.

I forgot to screenshot my playlist, I'll probably do so later on, but I'm interested to see what other people's Jill like to play in their Vallhalla jukebox.

So, I always played the game at night, and when I started playing, I'd usually throw in the more upbeat or aggressive songs. Good for Health, Bad For... is fucking killer, as is Base of the Titans. After I've been playing for a while and it's late, I'll switch to the more downbeat stuff. Meet the Staff is maybe my favorite song in the whole game.

Kvik

So, I always played the game at night, and when I started playing, I'd usually throw in the more upbeat or aggressive songs. Good for Health, Bad For... is fucking killer, as is Base of the Titans. After I've been playing for a while and it's late, I'll switch to the more downbeat stuff. Meet the Staff is maybe my favorite song in the whole game.

Yes, Base of the Titans is definitely a killer tune. I normally put this in the second half, right after March of the White Knights, which is a great peaktime tune. Good for Health.. is great as well, I placed this last, although this can work as a followup for Base of the Titans to keep the energy rolling.

27463253864_42c60bf84f_o.jpg

In my tracklist above I love going from Those who Dwell, to Synthestich, to Digital Drive, followed by Skyline to take it down for a size before building it up again with Follow the Trail, etc.

I haven't unlocked the full Jukebox tracklist since I am only at the first hour currently, but I'm looking forward to create a new tracklist once Jill can afford to buy new tracks.

Also, Donovan lying down the law:

So I just finished it. SO GOOD.

also I literally only had Every Day is Night in the jukebox. ALL DAY ALL NIGHT. NEED THIS ON VINYL.

Edit: got the good endeing on the first attempt. I nearly didn't make enough for the rent lol.

Danny Dudekisser

So I just finished it. SO GOOD.

also I literally only had Every Day is Night in the jukebox. ALL DAY ALL NIGHT. NEED THIS ON VINYL.

Edit: got the good endeing on the first attempt. I nearly didn't make enough for the rent lol.

Every Day is Night starts out making you think it's just going to be kinda mediocre, but then it throws it the fuck DOWN with that sax.

Danny Dudekisser

So... there's nothing out there like this, right? I mean, short of just getting into PC-98 games? I need more of this aesthetic.

Every Day is Night starts out making you think it's just going to be kinda mediocre, but then it throws it the fuck DOWN with that sax.

you know it.

There is sax in Every Day is Night? How did I miss this!

THERE IS.

When I got that achievement, I knew this was going to be something I really really liked heh.

Is there a guide for allthe endings? I want to get the others after the
good
ending

Coreda

So, just got my hands on this.

Should I start with the Prologue or is it just some kind of demo?

The Prologue can be thought of as a different, original chapter that introduces certain characters and events that are referenced in the main game. It's not a demo per se.

There is an actual, separate demo version which fleshes out one of the characters in the main game and can be played if you're interested.

So really there are three parts to the game in an odd kind of way. I'd play the Prologue first at least. @ Moonlight it might be a good question for the FAQ actually.

Just finished this. Absolutely fantastic. I want to see a complete version come out that includes the Prologue, demo, and main game all wrapped up into one.

And while it does end too fast I feel it ended on a pretty good note. Assuming you get the good end.

EDIT: Also, whats the name of the song that plays during the credits?

WaterAstro

I want an avatar of "Fore" but the only ingame shot of him is really hard to work with.

lJKIfLL.jpg

It's just black on almost black.

Pachimari

I'm really thinking of buying this. Only heard about it a few days ago but it seems kind of cyberpunky. I loved Snatcher, is it anything like it in atmosphere?

WaterAstro

I'm really thinking of buying this. Only heard about it a few days ago but it seems kind of cyberpunky. I loved Snatcher, is it anything like it in atmosphere?

Uh nope. It's not a dark mystery story. No violence. It's fairly light-hearted.

It's a character study, relationships, and an interesting take on some cyberpunk elements.

Top Bottom