• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action |OT| Do Androids Drink To Electric Beats?

pariah164

I am so confused on how to get the other endings. Do I screw up drinks for everyone BUT the character whose ending I want to get?

I am so confused on how to get the other endings. Do I screw up drinks for everyone BUT the character whose ending I want to get?
Character endings are not mutually exclusive. You will see one ending right after another, provided you got the right flags. So feel free to not sabotage drinks!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, this is one of the most thoroughly engrossing games to play at night that I've ever seen. It just feels so right.

K.Sabot

A lot of the stories in the game seem more allegorical than fiction, particularly
the story about a white knight beating a citizen and stealing their groceries.

Milijango

A lot of the stories in the game seem more allegorical than fiction, particularly
the story about a white knight beating a citizen and stealing their groceries.

Agreed. Lots of danger/u/ posts and news articles seem like they're as much about Venezuela (where this was made) as the game world. Reading about that place makes me feel these devs are more qualified to talk about dark dystopian futures than most.

Milijango

I actually want to play this game. Hopefully it's legit.

It's legit if you're into a slice-of-life visual novel where the dialogue options are disguised as drinks. It has a great mood, and you can probably figure out whether or not you're into that or not from the trailer.

Stoze

I just played the demo and really enjoyed it, I'll probably pick up the game tomorrow along with some other Steam goodies.

Does the full game lets you save whenever you want? I'm debating if I should just play through the game once and do all the orders accurately (and then change up drinks on a second play-through), or reload conversations as I play to try out different things.

Milijango

Does the full game lets you save whenever you want? I'm debating if I should just play through the game once and do all the orders accurately (and then change up drinks on a second play-through), or reload conversations as I play to try out different things.

You can save before each shift and then again halfway through the night. There are lots of save slots so you can make as many disposable saves as you like.

Kinda weird to see such positivity with such a bizarre game. More people need to play this.

It seems to have reviewed well everywhere save PCGamer.

I feel that the more Western feeling writing and the light gameplay elements is helping it escape the VN ghetto, as far as critical attention and opinion is concerned

Fuck Virgilio. That is all.
His orders are damn cryptic and it is ruining my perfect streak. He asked for something fake so I gave him Beer because it isn't real brewed beer...
Edit: it didn't even matter I still got my flawless bonus. But man, fuck Virgilio.

pariah164

His orders are damn cryptic and it is ruining my perfect streak. He asked for something fake so I gave him Beer because it isn't real brewed beer...
Edit: it didn't even matter I still got my flawless bonus. But man, fuck Virgilio.
About that.

When he asks for something fake, you can give him ANYTHING. Same with his other order that day. I made sure to give him $500 bottle orders to boost my sales a bit.

Steel

Banned

I still have no idea what
17 meant

About that.

When he asks for something fake, you can give him ANYTHING. Same with his other order that day. I made sure to give him $500 bottle orders to boost my sales a bit.
I feel like there's an ending attached to getting that right. One of the achievements is to not have Jill blow up on him. Haven't a clue what right is in that case, though.

jediyoshi

Huh, Read Only Memories isn't on sale for the summer sale. Guess that price error from forever ago made a dent. Still suggest it for anyone who enjoyed VA-11 HALL-A since it's in the same universe and narrative heavy. Gameplay is more along the lines of Snatcher/traditional adventure games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330820/

Huh, Read Only Memories isn't on sale for the summer sale. Guess that price error from forever ago made a dent. Still suggest it for anyone who enjoyed VA-11 HALL-A since it's in the same universe and narrative heavy. Gameplay is more along the lines of Snatcher/traditional adventure games.

I have it from when it was a dollar in the story humble bundle. I actually only really bought it because ROM looked interesting but never got around to it. I have a lot of reason to now after VA-11 HALL-A.

I'm curious only because of VA-11 HALL-A. Is the writing about as good? Frankly I'd take half as good.

jediyoshi

I'm curious only because of VA-11 HALL-A. Is the writing about as good? Frankly I'd take half as good.

It's good but the focus is different (less personal, more mystery/detective-y) and leans more on cyberpunk world building rather than internet culture. Definitely worth it if you wanted a sense of player choice while progressing and during conversations.

Moonlight

Banned
Re: Vergilio

It's the only way to fulfill his request, actually. I was a bit proud of myself for guessing that, actually.

mankoto

So you could cheese it by giving him a drink with optional parts and just filling it until it hits 17?

Yeah fuck Virgilio.
Yes.
There are no drinks with seventeen parts to begin with. Apparently choosing the seventeenth drink is fine too, but it's not what he's looking for.

So, manually translated that
binary
to the best of my abilities and it came out as "
THE RETRIBUTION IS CO
"

The cutoff is definitely intentional. I'll be on the lookout for any more binary strings that might be connected, among other things.

pariah164

Wait... about ROM.

Isn't playing ROM key to getting some of the cheevos in this game? I heard there was drink recipes in ROM that could be used in this game, and necessary to get all achievements.

Moonlight

Banned
Yes.
There are no drinks with seventeen parts to begin with. Apparently choosing the seventeenth drink is fine too, but it's not what he's looking for.
The seventeenth drink is 'wrong' like anything else. Jill still justifies it and so it's not a wrong order, but it's not what he's looking for. Only a seventeen part drink satisfies his condition

Milijango

So, manually translated that
binary
to the best of my abilities and it came out as "
THE RETRIBUTION IS CO
"

The cutoff is definitely intentional. I'll be on the lookout for any more binary strings that might be connected, among other things.

... the retribution is coming? I don't know if there's that much to it.

Alright, me again. Hey, hi, what's up.

Same fucking guy on day five.

Plum in perfume in a man's heart. Do I make a piano man with the fedora made of plum/perfume?

pariah164

Alright, me again. Hey, hi, what's up.

Same fucking guy on day five.

Plum in perfume in a man's heart. Do I make a piano man with the fedora made of plum/perfume?
No, just use the Fedora in the mixer, mix it like normal, then serve. And to answer your earlier question, you can add as much Kartomine as you want when it's optional.

Coreda

If there's one thing I wish was improved it would be the music preview delay. It takes like 5 seconds to preview each track in the Jukebox yet it's a core mechanic. Having to pick 12 tracks each time with this lag will get annoying.

Is it a technical limitation or just the game wanting to play a 'Loading Preview' animation? foobar2000 can load the same tracks instantly in their lossless version so it's not the speed of the system.

Moonlight

Banned
Can't pay the rent. Need to go back a while to make sure I have enough cash to make the final deadline. VA-11 teaches harsh lessons about buying irresponsibly. orz

EDIT: 25/12. The amount of permutations
that the Truth or Dare segment has is amazing. I want to keep doing this over and over but I actually need to make progress today. Fucking killed me when you dare the dog to leave.

ymgve

Can't pay the rent. Need to go back a while to make sure I have enough cash to make the final deadline. VA-11 teaches harsh lessons about buying irresponsibly. orz

EDIT: 25/12. The amount of permutations
that the Truth or Dare segment has is amazing. I want to keep doing this over and over but I actually need to make progress today. Fucking killed me when you dare the dog to leave.

Is it asking the dog to leave that triggers the dogs disappearing for a good chunk of the game afterwards, or does it always happen? If the former, good job devs!

Top Bottom