• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vacation...funniest movie in the series

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves01

Banned
This falls in line with the nostalgia crew from the last few months.

Basically Pixels, Jurassic World, Terminator Genisys were all foolish films in their own right, banking on nostalgia, and I found some value of entertainment in all of them.

Curious how this lands.

I saw this today, and it definitely felt like a nostalgia grab. It's ironic since they had meta-, breaking the fourth wall type scene about how no one remembered the old Vacations and this one would stand on its own, etc. The movie had its moments, but people should probably wait until it's on netflix.

Sanjuro

I saw this today, and it definitely felt like a nostalgia grab. It's ironic since they had meta-, breaking the fourth wall type scene about how no one remembered the old Vacations and this one would stand on its own, etc. The movie had its moments, but people should probably wait until it's on netflix.

I still didn't get to it this weekend, but yeah. The references, if I'm correct, seemed like a 21 Jump Street kind of deal in terms of throwbacks.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Saw this this weekend. Not horrible. Actually pretty funny at times. Biggest problem is there were just too many misses. Like nothing with Helms and the rest of the family lined up. It's like he and they were in two different movies. Don't really think it's a casting problem as much as the writers really had no idea how to handle his character.

I would actually even be interested in a sequel if they can write Rusty better. Applegate, Mann, Hemsworth, and even the kids were all fine and not even written that bad. They just need to tone down Rusty. Clark at his best was never a moron, just unfortunate. Often. They made Rusty too much of a moron at times, but then other times he was actually ok. Very uneven.

chris121580

No Anthony Michael Hall was such a criminally missed opportunity.

I thought the same thing before I saw the movie but Ed Helms did a great job. I loved the movie and thought it was hilarious. John Francis Daly had balls to try and re-create the Vacation movie and make it fresh but he totally pulled it off.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just got back from seeing it and yeah, it's not as great as National Lampoon's Vacation or Christmas Vacation, but I had a blast watching it

Toothless

Just saw it. Hemsworth and Day were good. There were a couple good lines here and there. Otherwise, it felt like a Jump Street ripoff except soulless. Kinda boring at a lot of points too.

Wacky Helms annoys the shit out of me in everything though.

Watched it tonight and thought it was pretty damn funny. The part with the rat on the shoulder made me rewind it just so I could laugh at it again. It's not like it's hilarious, but there's all sorts of little parts that are quite funny. Had a smile on my face pretty much the whole time I was watching it.

Anyone has any comedy movie recommendations they want to throw my way? Watched Dr. Strangelove 2 nights ago for the first time and it was a good time, so whatever year the movie is, I don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom