• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valiant Comics (Beginner's Guide) |OT| Out of the trash bin and into your hands.

ZXvxSnQ.jpg

Ah. I see that Lunchpod now knows my struggle. Trying to find an image that crops halfway decently every time Messi asks for a new fucking banner.

image005.gif

I just got the dead side arc of ninjak and can't recall him ever crossing over to the dead side prior to this. My Valiant knowledge is pretty spotty so it might have been something I missed.

I don't remember him going in before Operation Deadside, either. Did they mention something?

Ah. I see that Lunchpod now knows my struggle. Trying to find an image that crops halfway decently every time Messi asks for a new fucking banner.

image005.gif

Yes :(

shingi70

Banned
I don't remember him going in before Operation Deadside, either. Did they mention something?

Yes :(

Colin tells Mambo not to burn anything or eat anything since his last time in the dead side went awry.

Going marathon through ninjak tonight so I can read rapture when I buy my comics tomorrow.

george_us

A lot of great looking stuff in the OP. I kind of dropped out of comics a bit a couple of months back after binging on mostly Image stuff and some Marvel. Need to find some time to catch up.

Vic_Viper

Thinking about picking up the Ninjak Deluxe Edition for part of my IST order today. What are the chances they do a Book 2 for the series? Seems like Valiant hasnt done any new Deluxe Editions in awhile and im kind of a completionist.

Thinking about picking up the Ninjak Deluxe Edition for part of my IST order today. What are the chances they do a Book 2 for the series? Seems like Valiant hasnt done any new Deluxe Editions in awhile and im kind of a completionist.

Ninjak is high, it's one of the more popular series. They usually end up announcing a bunch of deluxe editions at a time at some point in the year.

jph139

Having read the first three issues of new Manowar, I think it'll read a lot better in trade. Issues #2 and #3 are pretty much one big chapter, the pacing isn't great with them alone.

The fact that Vol. 1 will be out the same day as Issue #4 is crazy smart, though. If that's their strategy going forward - being able to keep up to date with trades or floppies - I'll be very impressed. I can't think of anything more friendly to new readers.

Having read the first three issues of new Manowar, I think it'll read a lot better in trade. Issues #2 and #3 are pretty much one big chapter, the pacing isn't great with them alone.

The fact that Vol. 1 will be out the same day as Issue #4 is crazy smart, though. If that's their strategy going forward - being able to keep up to date with trades or floppies - I'll be very impressed. I can't think of anything more friendly to new readers.

Additional detail - all the XO trades are going to be entry-level priced at $9.99.

Oh, I should also mention, Ninjak just ended last week, so it'll definitely be at least a few months before we get the hardcover. Expect late this year or maybe early next year.

JEKKI

Oh, I should also mention, Ninjak just ended last week, so it'll definitely be at least a few months before we get the hardcover. Expect late this year or maybe early next year.
aw man I was listerally about to come in and ask if Ninjak was over, coz the website doesnt have #28 listed and it seems like they're just moving into Rapture now.

what a crappy last issue too, they could at least get Matt Kindt to write the final issue instead of having a new writer come in for just a single one.

also I hope the resell value on a full 27 issue lot is decent. I only got like $10 for the complete run of Generation Zero lol

(also got $75 for a gold variant of XO Manowar! lol)

speaking of G0 tho...

Generation Zero. Spoilers, but there's one issue in this series where one of the characters get shot up to pieces! Yet in the very next episode, she's all good and the plot point is that ANOTHER one of their members was the actual person who was injured. Now in a coma, they have to go into her mind to do whoknows o_O and then in the final 2 or 3 issues, one of the characters, Gamete, mysteriously disappears for the rest of the run!!!
man I think I'm the only one who read this series?!?! nobody even noticed these things too? lol.

I also own Magnus, but haven't read it. I've bought most of Dynamite's Gold Key stuff except Spektor which I heard was pretty bad.
aw man, yeay Doctor Spektor was so bad that they didnt even finish the series!

It feels like someone wasnt hitting the deadlines, like the issues just never came out on time, so by issue 4 they were like "well... it's over!!!"

Vic_Viper

Ninjak is getting a new series like they did with XO. Think its the same artist even. Although its going to be called Ninja-K lol.

aw man I was listerally about to come in and ask if Ninjak was over, coz the website doesnt have #28 listed and it seems like they're just moving into Rapture now.

what a crappy last issue too, they could at least get Matt Kindt to write the final issue instead of having a new writer come in for just a single one.

also I hope the resell value on a full 27 issue lot is decent. I only got like $10 for the complete run of Generation Zero lol

(also got $75 for a gold variant of XO Manowar! lol)

speaking of G0 tho...

man I think I'm the only one who read this series?!?! nobody even noticed these things too? lol.

aw man, yeay Doctor Spektor was so bad that they didnt even finish the series!

It feels like someone wasnt hitting the deadlines, like the issues just never came out on time, so by issue 4 they were like "well... it's over!!!"

Ninjak is getting a new series in the fall. Rapture continues his story, though.

Also, yes, I did notice the weirdness in G0, but I need to revisit it in trade because I thought I missed some of those things by reading month to month.

Ninjak is getting a new series like they did with XO. Think its the same artist even. Although its going to be called Ninja-K lol.

The first arc of Ninja-K is being done by Thomas Giorello (who did the first arc of the new X-O Manowar), and written by Christos Gage. They're definitely shaking it up a bit for that one.

Vic_Viper

Everything Ive read of Ninjak has been stellar. Pretty much James Bond mixed with Batman and Samurai Swords. Which is exactly what I want. There was that hint in the first issue of the Ninja program having multiple Ninja "agents".

So I started my own Valiant journey today with The Valiant. I thought it was pretty awesome,and just a perfect intro to the universe.

First off, I think just structurally and mechanically they made some smart choices with the book as an entry thing, as well as just an event in general. Most marvel events involve trying to just jam every character into the fight scenes and it's an idea that pushes the story along, everyone fighting over or against some sort of belief. The Valiant keeps it's character focus to just a few characters really and lets those characters driven the story forward, the story moves to the beat of how the characters react to the coming threat. There is obviously a main plot; the undying eternal warrior is tasked with defending the new Geomancer of the earth time and time again against an inevitable undefeatable counterpoint to whom he always loses to. In this era, this time, can that change? Should it change? But within that framework, it's the character's wants and needs that take us from scene to scene. Especially helpful is the fact that of the say 4-5 main players that appear, 2 of them are well geared to a new reader. Kay, the Geomancer, is brand new to the job, and hasn't really figured out if she wants to do it at all, nevermind what it entails. Bloodshot has no memories and is grappling with freedom of choice for the first time in who knows how long. As these two characters find their footing in the plot (and dovetail together), I did as well. They ask questions that could be exposition in another book, but are natural in a character sense here. The other major player, Gilad, is the one who's struggle is initial driving force of the book and we get his tale told extensively in #1. So plot wise (trying to stay super light on what the actual plot is btw) it works, character wise it works. I feel like all three characters I mentioned have strong clear character arcs that have a definite resolution, but open up new questions I want to follow the books onto and find out about, both on a character level and the implications/ramifications it has for the Valiant world at large, there's a nice level of philosophic question raised without getting carried away. I also appreciate that while a ton of heroes are called in to back the main characters up, they effectively serve to bolster the enemy's formidable status, and up the stakes, they don't take away from the tale being told or fill the book with action scenes.

The actual telling is really great too. Lemire & Kindt come up with some great tense situations, and there is some great dialogue involved. I love the line from Ninjak "I've been lying motionless for 12 hours straight"; Ninjak is a step down in focus from the three characters I mentioned and the main antagonist, but that immediately selling this dude and what he's all about. The accompanying art of him raising out of the snow, with the full body of snow on his form still sitting there is a really cool image, and you get Ninjak just like that, and there's moments like this for the other characters. A quiet scene where Bloodshot's eyes illuminate Kay's face in a dark room as they speak, a pretty funny scene between Kay & her friend Armstrong where they discuss his alcoholism and the chemical bonds for alcohol float in the air between them; we get a sense of how Kay sees the world and it's inhabitants as Geomancer, but it's just a funny visual of these chemical bonds floating around Armstrong's head as he blenches too. I actually wish this technique had been used with Kay a little more. I can think of more but I don't want to do spoilers, so just yea, it's a really cohesively told tale by the team, and illustrated using clever ideas by Rivera, on top of the actual story and character work on a script level.

I don't have any negatives to share as such; but I do have questions that I presume this book sets up, and I would look to see addressed going forward. For the talk of how there is always a Geomancer, and always an opposite response to the Geomancer, there isn't a firm reason given why. I wrote above that part of what is great is Kay is new to the job so she doesn't really even know what the job is, by nature of her inheriting it, but there is that flip side to it. There's a analogy to being Earth's PR early on, but no proper detail to what that means. The actual earth itself needs an avatar or protector but how, why and why must there be an opposite force to the Geomancer; what natural need is there for a dark age oppose to an age of light. As far as the immortal enemy goes, his nature might mean what he puts forth isn't even true. So I would hope (and to be fair, due to the resolution, I do think) that is perhaps something I should be wondering and will be addressed.

Overall though, I thought the book was a great well positioned and well thought out intro to The Valiant universe. It's really clear some real consideration as to the type of story and what characters would be right for this book, and well, they nailed it, it speaks to it's own success that it's still a highly recommended starting point for modern Valiant. Can't wait to dig in more!

Vic_Viper

Where does The Valiant fit in the overall Valiant storyline? Is it a good starting on point basically for books like Ninjak and Bloodshot, even though they have stories before The Valiant even started? Why is Valiant relaunching XO and Ninjak and what caused their relaunch? Is there an event that takes place before XO #1?

I started reading The Valiant but stopped when I realized I still had no idea who these characters were.

Where does The Valiant fit in the overall Valiant storyline? Is it a good starting on point basically for books like Ninjak and Bloodshot, even though they have stories before The Valiant even started? Why is Valiant relaunching XO and Ninjak and what caused their relaunch? Is there an event that takes place before XO #1?

I started reading The Valiant but stopped when I realized I still had no idea who these characters were.

In order:

-it fits somewhere in between a few stories
-it's the best starting point imo
-yes, because you don't need to know all that backstory to understand The Valiant
-they are just relaunching because it's a change in writer
-no event relevant to XO took place before that relaunch

You are introduced to these characters in The Valiant. You didn't need to know them

Vic_Viper

In order:

-it fits somewhere in between a few stories
-it's the best starting point imo
-yes, because you don't need to know all that backstory to understand The Valiant
-they are just relaunching because it's a change in writer
-no event relevant to XO took place before that relaunch

You are introduced to these characters in The Valiant. You didn't need to know them

Ok thats a loadoff. I was not looking forward to reading through a few years worth on Unity and XO before getting to the stuff I really wanted to read like The Valiant, Bloodshot Reborn, and Ninjak.

If I wanted to check out Harbinger, is there a new run that starts after The Valiant? Or do I need to start with the beginning of the run before Harbinger Wars?

Also, does 4001 AD and the Book of Death all take place after The Valaint?

Ok thats a loadoff. I was not looking forward to reading through a few years worth on Unity and XO before getting to the stuff I really wanted to read like The Valiant, Bloodshot Reborn, and Ninjak.

If I wanted to check out Harbinger, is there a new run that starts after The Valiant? Or do I need to start with the beginning of the run before Harbinger Wars?

Also, does 4001 AD and the Book of Death all take place after The Valaint?

The two series mentioned in the OP are the places to start. Harbinger Wars is part of the first run and I recommend reading it with that. The newer series is Harbinger Renegade.

Both of those events take place after the Valiant. BoD is sort of a sequel

Yea, I was going to ask if BoD was the next place we see
the eternal warrior
and the new geomancer
, looking at the books, book of death seemed like a logical place!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I remember Valiant shit being stupid expensive. Magnus Robot Fighter being one of them.

That was because they had absurdly low print runs for the time.
These days they wouldn't be terribly unusual for Marvel, lol.

So I started my own Valiant journey today with The Valiant. I thought it was pretty awesome,and just a perfect intro to the universe.

First off, I think just structurally and mechanically they made some smart choices with the book as an entry thing, as well as just an event in general. Most marvel events involve trying to just jam every character into the fight scenes and it's an idea that pushes the story along, everyone fighting over or against some sort of belief. The Valiant keeps it's character focus to just a few characters really and lets those characters driven the story forward, the story moves to the beat of how the characters react to the coming threat. There is obviously a main plot; the undying eternal warrior is tasked with defending the new Geomancer of the earth time and time again against an inevitable undefeatable counterpoint to whom he always loses to. In this era, this time, can that change? Should it change? But within that framework, it's the character's wants and needs that take us from scene to scene. Especially helpful is the fact that of the say 4-5 main players that appear, 2 of them are well geared to a new reader. Kay, the Geomancer, is brand new to the job, and hasn't really figured out if she wants to do it at all, nevermind what it entails. Bloodshot has no memories and is grappling with freedom of choice for the first time in who knows how long. As these two characters find their footing in the plot (and dovetail together), I did as well. They ask questions that could be exposition in another book, but are natural in a character sense here. The other major player, Gilad, is the one who's struggle is initial driving force of the book and we get his tale told extensively in #1. So plot wise (trying to stay super light on what the actual plot is btw) it works, character wise it works. I feel like all three characters I mentioned have strong clear character arcs that have a definite resolution, but open up new questions I want to follow the books onto and find out about, both on a character level and the implications/ramifications it has for the Valiant world at large, there's a nice level of philosophic question raised without getting carried away. I also appreciate that while a ton of heroes are called in to back the main characters up, they effectively serve to bolster the enemy's formidable status, and up the stakes, they don't take away from the tale being told or fill the book with action scenes.

The actual telling is really great too. Lemire & Kindt come up with some great tense situations, and there is some great dialogue involved. I love the line from Ninjak "I've been lying motionless for 12 hours straight"; Ninjak is a step down in focus from the three characters I mentioned and the main antagonist, but that immediately selling this dude and what he's all about. The accompanying art of him raising out of the snow, with the full body of snow on his form still sitting there is a really cool image, and you get Ninjak just like that, and there's moments like this for the other characters. A quiet scene where Bloodshot's eyes illuminate Kay's face in a dark room as they speak, a pretty funny scene between Kay & her friend Armstrong where they discuss his alcoholism and the chemical bonds for alcohol float in the air between them; we get a sense of how Kay sees the world and it's inhabitants as Geomancer, but it's just a funny visual of these chemical bonds floating around Armstrong's head as he blenches too. I actually wish this technique had been used with Kay a little more. I can think of more but I don't want to do spoilers, so just yea, it's a really cohesively told tale by the team, and illustrated using clever ideas by Rivera, on top of the actual story and character work on a script level.

I don't have any negatives to share as such; but I do have questions that I presume this book sets up, and I would look to see addressed going forward. For the talk of how there is always a Geomancer, and always an opposite response to the Geomancer, there isn't a firm reason given why. I wrote above that part of what is great is Kay is new to the job so she doesn't really even know what the job is, by nature of her inheriting it, but there is that flip side to it. There's a analogy to being Earth's PR early on, but no proper detail to what that means. The actual earth itself needs an avatar or protector but how, why and why must there be an opposite force to the Geomancer; what natural need is there for a dark age oppose to an age of light. As far as the immortal enemy goes, his nature might mean what he puts forth isn't even true. So I would hope (and to be fair, due to the resolution, I do think) that is perhaps something I should be wondering and will be addressed.

Overall though, I thought the book was a great well positioned and well thought out intro to The Valiant universe. It's really clear some real consideration as to the type of story and what characters would be right for this book, and well, they nailed it, it speaks to it's own success that it's still a highly recommended starting point for modern Valiant. Can't wait to dig in more!

You bring up some interesting points I've never been able to discuss with anyone.

First, I wanted to point out for information's sake, Armstrong is Gilad's brother, as is Ivar (he's in one of the splash pages but he gets no focus). They are all immortal in very different ways.

So, Kay as the Geomancer was pretty much just introduced in one arc before this, but if I'm being honest, her characterization was not exactly the most appealing thing. One of the things The Valiant gets right is that it presents what is essentially an entirely new character, even to people who have been reading since the beginning, and we are instantly empathetic of her struggle. Like you said, many of the characters are given just that, but they've all been given some kind of backstory before this story; Kay is fresh, just as the reader can be. In that way, the reader is pretty much placed in Kay's position of not knowing what this universe is all about. But as you've said, even for new readers, you get Bloodshot, Ninjak, Gilad, all with fantastic scenes that tell you what those characters are all about. That's what really sets this apart from other events - you don't have to have all this backstory to understand these characters. Also, you can kind of see how Kindt & Lemire took likings to Ninjak & Bloodshot from writing this book, and went off to do phenomenal jobs on their solo series.

As for the nature of the Immortal Enemy, I think you bring up an interesting point, but I may have an explanation. So, the Geomancer is essentially the person who channels the emotions of the Earth; this is not an exclusive relationship that the Geomancer has with Gilad, but their roles are closely tied together. The Geomancer essentially carries out the Earth's will, and in many cases, this is true of Gilad's role as well (though the chief role is to protect the Geomancer). Ok, so, that said, my proposed theory is that the Immortal Enemy exists simply because of balance. His/her origin is never given, but they are formed to counter the will of the Earth. As such, the source of it can kind of be left to one's imagination. My best guess is it's the collective consciousness of the inhabitants of Earth wanting to sever the direct line of communication to humans. In any cases, the reason why I never questioned its origin is because it felt tangential to the overall plot. As of right now, I've not seen a direct explanation in any of the books as to why it the Immortal Enemy exists. I have no read Legends of the Geomancer, though, so there is perhaps something in there I may have missed.

In any case, glad you enjoyed it. :)

Thanks for that Launchpad! I really can't say enough how well put together I think it is as a book for bringing new readers on, giving you a good feel for what the core idea about each character is, telling a good tale in itself, but also giving you a reason to want to follow on afterwards. Why would you not want to read Lemire's Bloodshot, or Kindt's Ninjak and so on. Having an event as an entry book seems like such a contradiction, given they are almost always used as big blow off moments but the nature of the characters & antagonist chosen, how it's told and even in the case where it kind of is a big blow off for Bloodshot, it just works really well.

On the whole Geomancer/Immortal enemy thing, I can totally get behind that. It sounds like from what you're saying they haven't necessarily revisited the immortal enemy, which is okay to me. It's funny, the whole balance of the scales situation between the geomancer and the enemy, eternal vs immortal, really reminds me of Lemire's previous work on Animal Man (which I've been re-reading recently too) and the balance of the green, the red and the rot. Similarly, there are avatars of each and it does really come down to balance. There's no good or evil, just a necessity for each side to exist, and for one to somewhat cancel the other out. In the case of the mythology here though, the extra layers of it heralding in a new age, and in all of the cases we're privy to at the beginning of #1 (
even here, the warrior has to cheat
) the eternal warrior always failing in this specific part of his duty, makes me quite interested in these kind of levels beyond balance and the idea of the immortal enemy being quite specifically a balance to the human element is a good one, but not quite present in the actual material.

That said, the nature and level upon which they choose to engage and not engage (in terms of too much depth) with the lore is what makes the book work, so while I had these questions, I think it's better that they kept the focus. Also, I appreciate the immortal enemy represents more than just the antagonist to the characters, in terms of the thematic ideas at play and so on, and I like the open ended nature of the questions asked
and even the resolution
, so it's not something you want to nail down too hard.

C1tM4dt.jpg

Highlighted books are new reader friendly

HON4ef9.jpg

SECRET WEAPONS #1 (of 4)
Written by ERIC HEISSERER
Art by RAÚL ALLÉN with PATRICIA MARTIN

Eric Heisserer – the Academy Award-nominated screenwriter of ARRIVAL and Valiant's upcoming HARBINGER and BLOODSHOT feature films – joins Harvey Award-nominated visionary Raúl Allén (Wrath of the Eternal Warrior) for an all-new Valiant Prestige-format adventure...launching Livewire and an extraordinary new team of heroes into the fight of their lives!

The government has dispatched Amanda McKee – the technopath codenamed Livewire – to investigate the ruins of a secret facility formerly run by Toyo Harada, the most powerful telepath on Earth and her former mentor. In his quest for world betterment at any cost, Harada sought out and activated many potential psiots like himself. Those who survived, but whose powers he deemed to have no value to his cause, were hidden away at this installation. But Livewire, having studied Harada's greatest strengths and learned his deepest weaknesses, senses opportunity where he once saw failure. A young girl who can talk to birds... A boy who can make inanimate objects gently glow... To others, these are expensive disappointments. But, to Livewire, they are secret weapons...in need of a leader.

Now, as a mechanized killer called Rex-O seeks to draw them out, Livewire and her new team of cadets will be forced to put their powers into action...in ways they never could have imagined...

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | VALIANT PRESTIGE | T+ | On Sale JUNE 28th

--

rE77trp.jpg

X-O MANOWAR (2017) #4 (ALL-NEW ARC! ALL-NEW JUMPING ON POINT! ”GENERAL" – PART 1)
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

ALL-NEW ARC! ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT! ”GENERAL" – PART ONE!

In the fires of victory, a soldier becomes...a general. With the hostile Cadmium army crushed beneath his force's boots, Aric of Dacia now commands an entire fleet into the final battle for the soul of an empire. But as a new dawn rises across this unrelenting alien world, what vicious new menace will come forth to greet it?

X-O Manowar's path to domination darkens as blockbuster artist Doug Braithwaite (Armor Hunters) joins New York Times bestselling writer Matt Kindt (Divinity, Mind MGMT) for a perfect, planet-shaking entry point into Valiant's biggest series yet!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | VALIANT PREMIUM | On Sale JUNE 28th

--

yNQ8fFh.jpg

RAPTURE #2 (of 4)
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by CAFU

Might meets magic!

As Babel's dark forces in the Deadside rise, the afterlife's last chance at survival rests in the living's greatest champions. But to save heaven itself, MI-6 agent Colin King – aka Ninjak– must confront his greatest fears...and place his trusted steel against the fantastic and unknown powers of sorcery. With Punk Mambo, Tama the Geomancer, and the fallen hero Shadowman at his side, Ninjak will lead the supernatural's greatest champions into a suicide mission against beasts and barbarians...and the very gods themselves!

Valiant's epic standalone event enters is next spellbinding chapter as New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (X-O Manowar) and powerhouse artist CAFU (Rai) strike at the veil between life and death!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JUNE 21st

--

hMyAUBc.jpg

RAI: THE HISTORY OF THE VALIANT UNIVERSE #1
Written by RAFER ROBERTS
Art by FRANCIS PORTELA

It is the year 4002 A.D....

Rai, the spirit guardian of Earth, has uncovered an ancient tome filled with history's greatest tales and civilizations darkest moments. Charting the dawning days of ancient Mesopotamia, all the way to the rise of New Japan, the history of the Valiant Universe is laid bare in shocking and revelatory detail. From X-O Manowar to Bloodshot to Faith to Divinity...history will reveal untold revelations for Valiant's greatest heroes and antagonists!

In the tradition of the original RAI #0, Harvey Award-nominated writer Rafer Roberts (Harbinger Renegade) and acclaimed artist Francis Portela (Faith) unleash a celebration of Rai's 25th anniversary with the third of four standalone specials honoring the most famed Valiant stories ever told!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | ONE-SHOT | On Sale JUNE 14th

--

LI9U0Km.jpg

BRITANNIA: WE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE #3 (of 4)

Written by PETER MILLIGAN
Art by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

Wrath of the gods!

The women of Rome march to rebellion! Magic and mystery continue to intertwine as the clock ticks down to Rubria's final hours. Will Antonius Axia and his mysterious new partner—the brutal female gladiator known as Achillia—untangle the knots that threaten to hang the Roman Empire...or will Nero finally obtain the dark power he lusted for? As the beaten ghost of Apollo finally rises to cast his dark judgment on all of Rome, history's first detective must act swiftly before humanity's final hours slip into madness!

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | VALIANT PRESTIGE | On Sale JUNE 21st

--

lvJgnnl.jpg

FAITH #12
Written by JODY HOUSER
Art by JOE EISMA with
MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Faith vs. ”THE FAITHLESS" – THE FINAL BATTLE!

Framed for a crime, held prisoner by a team of her greatest enemies, and quickly running out of time, Faith must confront the truth of her first true defeat! But has victory truly come to The Faithless – a revenge-obsessed squad of malicious malcontents – or will Los Angeles' soaring protector give them a run for their money first?

From the Hollywood Hills to the Santa Monica Pier, L.A. is about to witness the ultimate beat-down between good and evil...and when the final page arrives, you'll be saying, ”What the frack?!"

FINAL ISSUE | $3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JUNE 7th

--

wMhhTaG.jpg

X-O MANOWAR (2017) VOL. 1: SOLDIER TPB
Written by MATT KINDT
Art by TOMÁS GIORELLO
Cover by LEWIS LAROSA

War is coming!

Born under the oppressive thumb of the Roman Empire, Aric of Dacia learned warfare at an early age. It was amid such violence that he was abducted by an alien race. Forced into slavery, he survived where others perished. His escape would come from bonding with a weapon of immeasurable power: the X-O Manowar armor. With it, he returned to Earth... only to find himself stranded in the modern day.

But that was a lifetime ago.

Now, far from home on a strange and primitive new world, Aric has begun a new
life. Liberated from his past, he tends to his crops. Free from war. Free from violence. Free from the armor.

But the machinery of death marches his way once again. Conscripted into an alien army and thrown into an unforgiving conflict, the fury inside him finds voice as he is forced to embrace the armor once more. With it, he will decimate armies, topple empires and incite interplanetary warfare as he rises from SOLDIER to GENERAL to EMPEROR to VISIGOTH. They wanted a weapon. He will give them war!

Join master storytellers Matt Kindt (Divinity) and Tomás Giorello (Bloodshot Reborn) right here for a stunning new beginning for Valiant's most enduring icon.

Collecting X-O MANOWAR (2017) #1–3 with more than 30 pages of rarely seen art and extras!

$9.99 US | 112 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JUNE 28th - Amazon

--

bXyY1Yh.jpg

DIVINITY III: HEROES OF THE GLORIOUS STALINVERSE TPB
Written by JEFF LEMIRE, MATT KINDT, SCOTT BRYAN WILSON, and ELIOT RAHAL
Art by CLAYTON CRAIN, CAFU, ROBERT GILL, FRANCIS PORTELA, and JUAN JOSÉ RYP
Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

Not a dream... Not an alternate reality... This is the Valiant Universe of today...

The world has gone red and Valiant's leading legends – Bloodshot, X-O Manowar and Shadowman – now stand at the forefront of the global Soviet war machine! Meanwhile, the conspiracy-smashing duo of Archer & Armstrong find themselves condemned as enemies of the state and sentenced to life in the deadliest prison known to man.

Torn from the pages of DIVINITY III: STALINVERSE, come four essential tales chronicling the history that has reordered the Valiant Universe as we know it, from acclaimed writers Jeff Lemire (Bloodshot Reborn), Joe Harris (Snowfall), Scott Bryan Wilson (Batman Annual), Eliot Rahal (The Paybacks) and all-star artists Clayton Crain (4001 A.D.), CAFU (Rai), Robert Gill (Book of Death), and Francis Portela (Faith).

$14.99 | 112 pgs. | T+ On Sale JUNE 14th - Amazon

Credit to Newsarama/Valiant for solicitations.

X-O Manowar vol 1 is only going to have 3 issues a time. Jesus lol. I really hope the upside is they can crank out a good number of tpbs a year. I'm totally going to buy that though. I'll get to the Venditti run eventually but I'm definitely going to jump on this book.

X-O Manowar vol 1 is only going to have 3 issues a time. Jesus lol. I really hope the upside is they can crank out a good number of tpbs a year. I'm totally going to buy that though. I'll get to the Venditti run eventually but I'm definitely going to jump on this book.

Why bother? Three issues isn't even up to IDW standards for a trade, and that's saying something.

Why bother? Three issues isn't even up to IDW standards for a trade, and that's saying something.

They're all going to be $10 MSRP, though. Every XO Manowar trade will be entry-level priced lol

They're all going to be $10 MSRP, though. Every XO Manowar trade will be entry-level priced lol

See that goes a decent way and if they are nice collections and it means I get a new trade every 3 or 4 months oppose to waiting 6,that's not horrific, as long as the quality is there. They probably do wring out a bit more profit this way but eh.

Or maybe it is horrific and I'll tell myself anything haha.

See that goes a decent way and if they are nice collections and it means I get a new trade every 3 or 4 months oppose to waiting 6,that's not horrific, as long as the quality is there. They probably do wring out a bit more profit this way but eh.

Or maybe it is horrific and I'll tell myself anything haha.

Looking at the actual price per issue though, this is less expensive in the long run. In the first trade, you get 3 issues for $10 and in another series you'd get 4 issues for $10; however, for every subsequent release, you'd get 3 issues for $10 vs 4 issues for $15. At $3.33 per issue, the $10 trade is a better approach for everyone.

And yeah, of course, the trades are quality stuff and they release in a timely manner. They'll stick to the schedule of releasing it on the same day as a new arc starts because of that X-O Manowar Wednesday initiative. Every last Wednesday of the month this year will be designed for new readers with a new jumping on point (whether a new arc or new #1) with of course a new XO issue.

3 issues is absurdly skimpy for a trade.

Again, lower price point. I've also seen some Image creators do a 2 issue trade lol

Also, the third or fourth trade will have to have 4 issues because there's a one-shot in between two arcs. Maybe it's just these two first arcs.

Lol btw I'm not on Harbinger Renegade yet, planning on going back to the beginning with Harbinger, but the advertising for this upcoming death is amazing haha. Not just a death but A GRAPHIC DEATH of a major hero, with redacted previews and MASSACRE printed on top of them etc. Too good

Lol btw I'm not on Harbinger Renegade yet, planning on going back to the beginning with Harbinger, but the advertising for this upcoming death is amazing haha. Not just a death but A GRAPHIC DEATH of a major hero, with redacted previews and MASSACRE printed on top of them etc. Too good

The previews with the redacted panels are hilarious

Also, having seen the cover, it's weird because they're giving something away without having to. It's graphic, but it actually doesn't depict the death lol only them saying it is draws attention to it.

XGdzFYN.jpg

lvJgnnl.jpg

FAITH #12
Written by JODY HOUSER
Art by JOE EISMA with
MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Faith vs. “THE FAITHLESS” – THE FINAL BATTLE!

Framed for a crime, held prisoner by a team of her greatest enemies, and quickly running out of time, Faith must confront the truth of her first true defeat! But has victory truly come to The Faithless – a revenge-obsessed squad of malicious malcontents – or will Los Angeles’ soaring protector give them a run for their money first?

From the Hollywood Hills to the Santa Monica Pier, L.A. is about to witness the ultimate beat-down between good and evil...and when the final page arrives, you’ll be saying, “What the frack?!”

FINAL ISSUE | $3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On Sale JUNE 7th

NOTE: Not the best issue to jump in on. Presumably, this will set up the upcoming Faith and the Future Force miniseries, though probably won't be much setup.

My favorite two issues in that run are the ones nested in the middle where Gilad just storms a castle and tears people's shit up.

Also, the plot with his son was really resonated with me.

I'm interested to see what while happen next. Especially with X-O's people guarding the body now.

Are there any other Eternal Warrior runs like this one?

I'm interested to see what while happen next. Especially with X-O's people guarding the body now.

Are there any other Eternal Warrior runs like this one?

I think the cool thing is how his death effects the rest of the universe. He's definitely dead for right now, but you know he's on his way back; they're not trying to pull a veil over our eyes. At the same time though, it gives for some interesting situations to play out, like Rapture. In the book, Tama reminds us that Gilad told her if she ever needed help and he wasn't around, that she could count on Ninjak, which is what leads to the whole event. What's more, Unity is disbanded because there are only two members around (three if you count GIN-GR). So, it's not a permanent death, but it has its repercussions.

Not in the current timeline, no. I was really disappointed with Pak and Milligan's runs. Pak's may be worth a read for the interesting setup he does in the second arc, but the rest was boring to me.

There is that Eternal Warrior: Awakening one-shot, though. I thought that was pretty good.

JEKKI

there's a Dynamites Comics sale on comixology right now, -50% off with coupon code DE17

https://www.comixology.com/Dynamite...f=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

which means I hope some of you guys will jump on Magnus Robot Fighter which I recommended earlier,

it's an older Valiant title from the 1990s written by a current Valiant writer from the 2010s.

Also apparently there's a new Magnus comic coming out again, written by the guy who is currently writing Power Rangers.

also also, happy to report that Valiant cashed my $10 check!! I can almost taste that sweet ebay profit Harbinger #0 will get me!!

there's a Dynamites Comics sale on comixology right now, -50% off with coupon code DE17

https://www.comixology.com/Dynamite...f=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

which means I hope some of you guys will jump on Magnus Robot Fighter which I recommended earlier,

it's an older Valiant title from the 1990s written by a current Valiant writer from the 2010s.

Also apparently there's a new Magnus comic coming out again, written by the guy who is currently writing Power Rangers.

also also, happy to report that Valiant cashed my $10 check!! I can almost taste that sweet ebay profit Harbinger #0 will get me!!

Just to add to this, I started reading Magnus, Robot Fighter (Van Lente) this week and it's quality stuff. I haven't read the others except Gold Key Alliance, and that was pretty meh. As I understand it, at the very least, the Solar series by Barbiere is worth checking out.

However, what's most surprising is that the new reboot of the Gold Key universe is starting off surprisingly well. The Sovereigns and Magnus are really good. I highly recommend checking out that new Magnus by Kyle Higgins, though that's not included in the sale (Sovereigns is).

I'm of two minds when it comes to the Gold Key characters. On one hand, Valiant probably could have taken them the distance, but only if they owned them; they had no interest in licensing them like Dynamite is doing, which is why they started making their own counterparts. On the other, Dynamite is actually FINALLY doing something interesting with them, after three reboots. Hopefully the latest one sticks.

Not in the current timeline, no. I was really disappointed with Pak and Milligan's runs. Pak's may be worth a read for the interesting setup he does in the second arc, but the rest was boring to me.

That's what I've heard. Just started reading Rai volume 2 battle for new japan. I wasn't blown away by the first volume but I'll give it a go.

All-New All-Different Valiant OT!

I changed all the images to a new format because it felt like the comic book covers were too small to attract people.

Vic_Viper

How much is the preorder for Bloodshot Salvation first year? And do you do it through Valiant's website or through a comic shop?

I just read the first three issues of the new X-O Manowar comic. My first taste of Valiant and I thought it was fantastic. I ended up buying the giant omnibus with the original 90s series. It's pretty good so far.

Top Bottom