• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 review Thread

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/valkyria-chronicles-4
FT3vC3I.png

GameInformer: 9
After aircraft were introduced to military operations during World War I, they changed the shape of warfare. They opened up a field of conflict above the land and sea, and even though tanks and infantry still worked the way they always did, new considerations altered the ways they were deployed and used. Valkyria Chronicles 4 does not actually have aircraft, but the innovations it brings have an analogous effect on the turn-based strategy of this series. Though familiar mechanics and units remain, excellent new features and conveniences transform the way you see the battlefield.

RPGsite: 9
Valkyria Chronicles 4 epitomizes the notion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Honestly, that's what so many fans wanted all along. Sure, Sega ends up playing it safe in many areas in order to please the fanbase, but to me, there's nothing really wrong with that. After all, the only thing that hurt the original Valkyria Chronicles was its pacing, and the fourth entry does a far better job with the onboarding experience (though the first couple missions still feel a little bland).

From here, Sega can go in a variety of directions while keeping with the same core formula that made the franchise so successful in the first place. With any luck, they'll take a few risks in the process (though please, nothing on the scale of Valkyria Revolution). As a modern take on a fantastic formula, Valkyria Chronicles 4 is an easy title to recommend for strategy RPG fans everywhere.

PlaystationLifestyle: 9
Valkyria Chronicles 4 is an excellent game, compelling in both its character roster and its gameplay. While it runs adjacent to the original Valkyria Chronicles, its contrasting of the Second Europan War with multiple coming of age stories makes it powerful in its own right. These types of games aren’t necessarily for everyone, but if you’ve ever had a passing interest in tactical games, Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a wonderful entry into the genre and the closest thing we’ve ever had to a true successor to Valkyria Chronicles.

Gamespot: 8
Ultimately, this is a return to form for the Valkyria Chronicles series as a whole. It stays so true to the franchise's first iteration that it'll feel as if almost no time has passed in the decade or so since the original game first came out. In revisiting the concerns and the environments of the first, it makes the most of those parallels and invites comparison in a way that highlights its strengths. Valkyria Chronicles 4 doesn't necessarily tell a new tale, but it doesn't have to; for all of its clichés and expected twists, there's a charm to the game's unwillingness to let up as it drives you and your friends forward at a rapid clip towards its bittersweet end.

IGN: 8.7
Valkyria Chronicles 4 is the sequel I’ve been waiting for, returning to the roots of what made the first game so special. It adds a handful of new and interesting mechanics to its tactical battles, nearly all of which improve the formula in tangible ways, but otherwise plays it fairly safe. The story can feel a little bit impersonal and disconnected from the rest of the series, but the way it makes even the smallest characters important and alive is remarkable. It’s great to see the Valkyria Chronicles series back on track, as it’s still one-of-a-kind.

EasyAllies

DreamcastGuy

GamingBolt

Last edited:

DonF

Yes, I like what I'm seeing!! Man...this month, crazy busy! I gotta finish VC 1 first, finished 2 but never got around finishing 1, And I own it on 2 platforms lol.

Danjin44

Yes, I like what I'm seeing!! Man...this month, crazy busy! I gotta finish VC 1 first, finished 2 but never got around finishing 1, And I own it on 2 platforms lol.
Tell me about it!!! I'm no were near done with DQXI and I have Xenoblade Toran DLC coming in Sep 14 and VC4 in Sep 25.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I loved the demo. Even though I know this is going to look better on PS4, I opted for the Switch version. I love playing it handheld. Characters seem 'mature' while still maintaining the endearing charm of the first game. I like the balance of personalities. I can tell it'll pull on my heartstrings later.

I was surprised by how... unevolved the gameplay was, though. I mean, it's literally just a sequel to Valkyria Chronicles in nearly every mechanic, including the "reading a book to go to the next section of the chapter" menu system. And that was pretty outdated back then. I'm just shocked that VC4 is still stuck back in 2008 with the original game.

I actually don't mind. Don't take that as a complaint, merely an observation. I can see this being a huge turnoff to people who wanted to see the series evolve, but after Valkyria Revolution's failure to renovate the mechanics, I'm grateful for a "return to basics" with the franchise.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I just want Leena to sit o...I mean I just Leena to si. I want to upgrade my units.

I loved the demo. Even though I know this is going to look better on PS4, I opted for the Switch version. I love playing it handheld. Characters seem 'mature' while still maintaining the endearing charm of the first game. I like the balance of personalities. I can tell it'll pull on my heartstrings later.

I was surprised by how... unevolved the gameplay was, though. I mean, it's literally just a sequel to Valkyria Chronicles in nearly every mechanic, including the "reading a book to go to the next section of the chapter" menu system. And that was pretty outdated back then. I'm just shocked that VC4 is still stuck back in 2008 with the original game.

I actually don't mind. Don't take that as a complaint, merely an observation. I can see this being a huge turnoff to people who wanted to see the series evolve, but after Valkyria Revolution's failure to renovate the mechanics, I'm grateful for a "return to basics" with the franchise.

yup this is exactly whats holding me back from the game....it just feels like VC1 reskinned and little improvements/new elements. the game could be so much more.

I just want Leena to sit o...I mean I just Leena to si. I want to upgrade my units.
with this game on switch i don't doubt the coming onslaught of fan-art

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How accessible is this game to someone who hasn't ever played a Valkyria Chronicles game? Was thinking of getting this for the Switch.

"Ultimately, this is a return to form for the Valkyria Chronicles series as a whole. It stays so true to the franchise's first iteration that it'll feel as if almost no time has passed in the decade or so since the original game first came out."

Wow! That's pretty hype

Last edited:

ROMhack

I'm a bit surprised. I played the demo and felt it was okay but blander than the original owing to the lack of interesting characters. Maybe it gets better?

How accessible is this game to someone who hasn't ever played a Valkyria Chronicles game? Was thinking of getting this for the Switch.

knowing this game isnt much different than VC1, and my experience is with VC1, it's not very hard to get into..unlike say Disgaea or Grand Kingdom. that said give the demo a try of VC4 - its pretty solid tactics game

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Very accessible. The core gameplay mechanics are very straightforward. Fans don't like it because of its complexity. They like it because all the mechanics mesh well together. You may actually be bored with the simplicity of the first few missions even though some of the mechanics will be "new" to you.

I'd dive in if you like unique JRPGs.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
yup this is exactly whats holding me back from the game....it just feels like VC1 reskinned and little improvements/new elements. the game could be so much more.

with this game on switch i don't doubt the coming onslaught of fan-art
I want doujins

Download the demo that thing is like an 1+ hour long you'll know if its for you.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Very accessible. The core gameplay mechanics are very straightforward. Fans don't like it because of its complexity. They like it because all the mechanics mesh well together. You may actually be bored with the simplicity of the first few missions even though some of the mechanics will be "new" to you.

I'd dive in if you like unique JRPGs.
This isn't a JRPG :/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Alright thanks everyone for the replies. I'll give the demo a shot then. I also own the first game on PS4 and Steam so maybe I'll play that one first.

Mr Hyde

Looking good. First VC was fire and this seems like a true follow up. Might grab it for sale on Switch someday, got too much on my plate right now.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Alright thanks everyone for the replies. I'll give the demo a shot then. I also own the first game on PS4 and Steam so maybe I'll play that one first.

Just keep in mind the first hour of these games is always slow and full of anime cutscenes.

Once you slog past that you get down and dirty in skirmishes with enemy combatants in various locales and it becomes awesome.

jshackles

Just keep in mind the first hour of these games is always slow and full of anime cutscenes.

Once you slog past that you get down and dirty in skirmishes with enemy combatants in various locales and it becomes awesome.

So - kinda like Xenoblade Chronicles then. Come for the anime cutscenes, stay for the awesome game mechanics. Gotcha.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda? Sorta like XC2

Well thought out likeable characters>world>mechanics>anime waifus>tanks

My body...my body is ready for this bad boy.

Loved the demo. Game pre-ordered.

Mine too, huge fan of the series since the beginning, I was hoping to find a North America collectors edition unboxing... I want to see how big the tank statue is! the ultra rare VC1 Edelweiss tank is the size of a Hot Wheels car, so hoping for abit bigger.

Isa

I'm so there day 1! I'm actually expecting this one to gel with me more than the first, as the characters and their journey seems more my style. I also second the Doujins.

Danjin44

I hope this game doesn't end up like VC1 when it first came out in 2008. It got good reviews but it was overlook by everyone.

-MD-

I hope this game doesn't end up like VC1 when it first came out in 2008. It got good reviews but it was overlook by everyone.

That'd be pretty tragic.

People that liked the first one better show up and support this, otherwise the series is probably buried.

Danjin44

Anyone know if they revised how the scoring system works? That's always been my biggest issue with the first one, rewarding speed over everything else is a problem in an SRPG
Unfortunately thats one part that they didn't fix. It still scores you base how many turn it takes to finish the mission.

That'd be pretty tragic.

People that liked the first one better show up and support this, otherwise the series is probably buried.
You and me both. I love this series and I want to see it do well.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
i still keep my collector edition for ps4 =)

Im glad pick this marvelous game, i hope the next month pick Dragon quest XI

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Thats probably gonna happen lol

Call of Duty comes out soon and its battle royal will make waves. Then red dead 2 which will sell a bazillion copies.

petran79

Banned
Back then I finished VC1 and then Xcom:EW
Now I'll do the same with VC4 and Xcom 2

Only difference is that VC4 does not have the 60fps bug that made VC1 Steam version more difficult than the PS3 version before getting patched

sublimit

Banned
I'll not be able to play this for a long while (too many games right now on my plate) but i'm definitely getting the CE on day 1 in order to support the return of this great series.

Should be alright its not like its trying to release within the same window of Red Dead 2, when it first game came out on PS3 I remember it being more expensive for some odd reason $79.99 CAD and there was a bunch of other big games within the same window.

Madflavor

Man it's gonna be really depressing watching this game flop hard. Almost zero marketing, and Valkyria Revolution left a bad taste in the mouths of many who played it. I've seen so many people mention that they had no idea this game even existed. It's really sad that it took a decade for Sega to greenlight a proper sequel to VC1, but this really should've happened way back then. Perhaps VC would've been a more successful franchise if they had ridden on the success of VC1 by building momentum and developing a worthy sequel immediately after.

It's actually kind of a miracle this game even exists. I thought for sure the series was dead after VC3, and then I thought it was really dead after VR. But VC4, despite it's critical success, is looking like a bomb-a-roony. Hopefully it has more success in the West than it has in Japan, but there's barely any talk about this game, and it's releasing during the busiest time of the year. Since I kinda accepted years ago that VC was probably dead, I'm just gonna be happy with the fact that by some work of god, I got a worthy sequel to VC1. If there's no future for the franchise, so be it. Then again this is the 3rd time I thought the series is buried, so there could be a VC5, but I just don't see how.

What's funny is that VC1 continues to sell with all of it's ports, and has gotten more exposure to the West over the years. So for the life of me, I can't figure out why Sega didn't properly market this game. Why push for VC1 to get more ports and exposure, just to slip VC4 under the radar?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Thats probably gonna happen lol

Call of Duty comes out soon and its battle royal will make waves. Then red dead 2 which will sell a bazillion copies.

F.ck Call of duty, Damn you Battle Royale!

I can forgive Red dead yet... but

F.ck Call of duty

GenericUser

VC1 burned me on the series, because it was too damn hard. Is VC4 a tad easier or is it still balls to the wall hard?I really liked the combat and the overall flow of the game.

Danjin44

VC1 burned me on the series, because it was too damn hard. Is VC4 a tad easier or is it still balls to the wall hard?I really liked the combat and the overall flow of the game.
I personally like the difficulty, to me puzzle games like Catherine the difficulty is part of the fun of the game, but thats just me.

Ichabod

Banned
I loved the first one but didnt really follow the series after that. I remember cheesing a lot of maps with a bunch of grenade launcher equipped scouts. Good times.

sublimit

Banned
Man it's gonna be really depressing watching this game flop hard. Almost zero marketing, and Valkyria Revolution left a bad taste in the mouths of many who played it. I've seen so many people mention that they had no idea this game even existed. It's really sad that it took a decade for Sega to greenlight a proper sequel to VC1, but this really should've happened way back then. Perhaps VC would've been a more successful franchise if they had ridden on the success of VC1 by building momentum and developing a worthy sequel immediately after.

It's actually kind of a miracle this game even exists. I thought for sure the series was dead after VC3, and then I thought it was really dead after VR. But VC4, despite it's critical success, is looking like a bomb-a-roony. Hopefully it has more success in the West than it has in Japan, but there's barely any talk about this game, and it's releasing during the busiest time of the year. Since I kinda accepted years ago that VC was probably dead, I'm just gonna be happy with the fact that by some work of god, I got a worthy sequel to VC1. If there's no future for the franchise, so be it. Then again this is the 3rd time I thought the series is buried, so there could be a VC5, but I just don't see how.

What's funny is that VC1 continues to sell with all of it's ports, and has gotten more exposure to the West over the years. So for the life of me, I can't figure out why Sega didn't properly market this game. Why push for VC1 to get more ports and exposure, just to slip VC4 under the radar?
The remaster really helped to put some awareness on the series on both PC and PS4 and i think it got a lot of positive reception by people who've never played the original. At the very least i think it will do MUCH better than the original did on PS3.

Danjin44

Finally we got some unboxing for Memoirs From Battle Premium Edition.

I would say the tank statue has a nice size.

Last edited:
Top Bottom