• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles for PC [Nov 11, £14/20/$20, has all DLC, 60fps/1080p+, $14 GMG]

Durante

Time to mentally torture myself on whether I should buy a game, which I already finished on my PS3, to support the franchise!
No, it's not the time for that. It's time to buy it.
(Especially if you didn't play all the DLC on PS3, but even if you did)

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| Enlistment is Mandatory

I hope this will have custom soundtrack support, just in case I want to synch other Sakimoto music to in-game events.

Yep, game's climbing dat Top Sellers list. Nothing can't stop this Kawaii Tank now!

ARGH, only three hours until I'm out of the office so I can put my claws on this.

Dizzy-4U

The timing for showing up is not very good with all the halloween stuff going on. Hopefully more people will notice it.

And where is the steam banner? I'm gonna murder Gabe!

dani_dc

You win this time sega.
c5215723f9.png

We all win.

Durante

The timing for showing up is not very good with all the halloween stuff going on. Hopefully more people will notice it.
It releases outside the sale, and then it also has the chance to get into dominate the "Popular New Releases" list.

That's why I'm timing my gift purchases, some now, some at relaese :p

RedSwirl

Great price. I'll probably have to wait simply due to my finances, at least until I find out how much Ground Zeroes will cost.

They didn't say Internally rendered, Dark Souls also 'supported' 1080p.

Just sayin'.
There's another tweet that says natively rendered, not upscaled.

@TGJV: @SEGA Actually, since I have your attention, one followup Q: these resolutions, the game renders them nativelly,right?

@SEGA: @TGJV yes, that's correct.

studyguy

Honestly, the fact that this game showed up at all would probably quiet any complaints I had so long as its controls weren't absolute shit. It's pretty old so I'm not expecting anything amazing in terms of PC features, just glad people will experience such a fantastic title. Hopefully Yakuza follows.

Considering the sales hubbub surrounding it, VC's doing great with preorders and climbing Top Sellers. It's bad timing on SEGA's part, but I think news like this will have long legs.

Mikeside

Bought.

Of course.

If this does well, do we think there's any chance of either getting an up-port of II or a new game released in the west?

1080p+ and 60fps. Achievements! Amazing! Hopefully the framerate is unlockable and the UI scales independently (for potential downsampling). Buying this as soon as I get home.

It's doing incredibly well for a port "Nobody asked for" /s

I think rather than "Nobody asked for" it was more like "There is no chance in hell this is EVER coming because it was a PS3 exclusive, it's japanese and this kind of stuff never makes it to PC but wouldn't hurt to ask for it in the Dream Steam Operation". ;)

It seems Durante is pretty hyped about this game. I love RTS and strategy games in general so for me this one is a no brainer.

Durante

It seems Durante is pretty hyped about this game. I love RTS and strategy games in general so for me this one is a no brainer.
6 years ago, not too long after I joined GAF (well, 2 years after I guess), Valkyria Chronicles was one of the first game I made an |OT| for, and it's probably my favorite PS3 exclusive to this day.

And now it gets an (apparently good!) port to my favourite platform. You bet I'm hyped!

bender

What time is it?
You can't cough up 10 more dollars?

I could but I'm not willing to. $14 is a great price if you haven't played or are planning on replaying it right now. Neither description fits me so I'll wait for a sale before double dipping. Game prices fall to fast to be there day one with no intention of playing anytime soon.

Sera O

Banned
Thanks for the heads-up on the GMG deal. Already bought. I remember playing this when it first came out and thinking I was so glad I had a PS3. It's fantastic that anyone with a PC can now play it because it always seemed like it was slept on a bit.

It's also cool that there isn't a huge wait for it - just announce and then bam! It's available in a week and a half.

I think rather than "Nobody asked for" it was more like "There is no chance in hell this is EVER coming because it was a PS3 exclusive, it's japanese and this kind of stuff never makes it to PC but wouldn't hurt to ask for it in the Dream Steam Operation". ;)

It was from a rather dismissive quote from Patrick Klepek to the announcement of the port.
Nobody was really asking for Sega to port Valkyria Chronicles to PC, but the company's already on it.
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/out-of-nowhere-valkyria-chronicles-is-coming-to-pc/1100-5059/
And that was after he blew off arranged interviews with the guys running the petition.

Durante

Ok, as someone who loved xcom:EU to birds, do you guys think this game would be a good match for me?
It's quite different from X-com (because it's quite different from every other strategy game or SRPG), but the base research / army development mechanics are pretty similar. I gave a rough overview of the battle mechanics earlier in the thread:
It has a very unique combat system. You basically have points each turn you can spend on each unit (tanks cost more points to use than foot soldiers), which you then proceed to move in a TPS-like fashion for a limited distance (and potentially under counter fire).

The twist: you can spend points on the same unit multiple times a turn if you want to, but with diminishing returns.

The twist (mk2): you can use the same points to execute "orders", which are either battle-wide or single-unit effects (buffs/debuffs/etc.).

Outside of battles, in the campaign, you have research and unit development somewhat akin to XCOM base gameplay.

Even heartless people (shame on you, really) should absolutely play it if they enjoy strategy games, simply because it plays so differently from everything else out there. It has some balance issues, but if you don't go out of your way to exploit them that doesn't matter much -- since you can enjoy Civ:BE it really shouldn't be an issue for you ;)

Anyway, I think if you like strategy games at all you should at the very least try it, especially at this price. There's a very good chance you'll enjoy it.

6 years ago, not too long after I joined GAF (well, 2 years after I guess), Valkyria Chronicles was one of the first game I made an |OT| for, and it's probably my favorite PS3 exclusive to this day.

And now it gets an (apparently good!) port to my favourite platform. You bet I'm hyped!

I wish everyone could've been as hyped as I was after Ikaruga released on Steam :( 1999 game with absolute no chance to be on PC makes it to PC... And maybe one day we get Radiant Silvergun too.

So, yeah, happy that a dream came true!

edit: Top #13. Keep on climbin', baby!

Top Bottom