• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Darkpen

Banned
SabinFigaro said:
I believe Caution increases resistance to incoming fire, which is the same as Resist Crossfire. As Alicia has this innately, you can spend the CP elsewhere to buff other stats. Therefore, it's probably best to double up on Defense and Evade Boost, which together cost 2 CP, the same as Caution.
I need to figure out which orders stack, and which don't, because some of them don't. In several cases, you can either have one or the other.

Also, Alicia has Resist Crossfire as a potential, but it isn't active all the time, as it doesn't trigger all the time.

I paid less than that in the UK for it. Unusual to get better prices over here for once!

On topic. Just tried the first hard skirmish...

...holy crap was I surprised when it loaded up the map!

Hobbun

SabinFigaro said:
Yes. Correct.

Edit: Here's how (roughly from my memory):

12 CP
- 2 CP: smoke grenade the first gun encampment
- 3 CP: Defense Boost + Awaken Potential on Alicia
- 1 CP: guide Alicia through the trench and through the heavy fire; use a grenade to open up the barricade by the trooper elite
- 1 CP: guide Alicia around the southwest building and take out the standing scout elite (not the Ace); crouch behind the sandbags
- 1 CP: Resupply
- 1 CP: grenade the crouching shocktrooper elite
- 1 CP: eliminate if grenade did not, capture base

Total: 10 CP

You can eliminate using resupply by bypassing the barricade, but you run risk of being gunned down by the gun encampments. For this strategy to work, you need Resist Crossfire and Double Movement to activate, as well as Mysterious Body.

Wow, would have never imagined Marberry Shore with one turn. Good job.

Hobbun

bounchfx said:
just gave the demo another go and I'm liking it much more than I did initially. definitely gotta pick this up when it hits 40$

That's never going to happen. Unless you can find it used.

But just buy it for $60. It is well worth it.

Haunted

Liabe Brave said:
It's rewarding you for playing like Welkin, rather than playing like an Imperial.
"Let's get the objective done with as little loss of life as possible", rather than "Let's completely control this area and wipe out the enemy."
I didn't have Welkin pegged as the cold-hearted commander sending a lone runner (Alicia to boot!) straight through enemy encampments on suicide missions, but I can see what you mean. :lol

It just goes against any elaborate strategical play the game allows for with its 5 classes. It's broken.

Here's my basic Chapter 7 tactic which works just fine:

You need a engineer and sniper in the top trench, and an engineer, lancer and shocktrooper in the lower trench. For the rest, a backup lancer and Alicia can be useful.

Your first priorities are to bring your sniper to climb on top of the right side of the tank, and to take out all enemies from there. After your third shot, climb down and bring up the engineer to reload. Climb back up and keep firing. You should be able to take down everyone this turn. Saving/loading can be useful.

Next turn, the tank will move (dropping the sniper, but it won't be hurt) in position along the lower trench. During this turn, you must use a lancer to take out both the south turrets, using the engineer to reload. You must also clear the two guys standing in front of the tank or you'll lose them. I just shove them into the trench as well. Once the turrets are down, you're perfectly safe in the lower trench until Selvaria appears. Also spend a turn dropping the first wall.

Now you must wait for the tank to make its move. As soon as it blows the wall, you can start grenading the radiators, and move/repair as necessary to keep up with the minor fire. While you wait for the tank to open the next radiator, as soon as it moves out of range, move your trench guys up to the sandbags that were smashed and repair them, giving them a safe haven against the next assault.

You should be able to take out the first two radiators before the tank gets through your western camp. Selvaria will appear with her troops. Bring Edelweiss to block her access wherever she decides to go. Your machine gun and the troops at the sandbags should be enough to take down the approaching enemies, and Selvaria is too stupid to move around Edelweiss for a better shot. Thus having neutralized her, take down the last radiator and then blast the thing with all you have.

There are some possible save/reloads to be done if you're unlucky. Selvaria might decide to run past your tank before it's in position and just kill everything at the sandbags. It's also possible that the sniper and engineer you left behind can be in trouble, and you can't bring anyone to save them.

Still, as soon as you get the preparations done properly, you can do the rest pretty easily.

magus

I have a PS3 and I really tried to like this game but it just isn't rubbing off. The graphics look amazing and it isn't the game I don't think. I just don't find SRPGs appealing. Though I kinda wish I liked this one in some weird way.

RpgN

magus said:
I have a PS3 and I really tried to like this game but it just isn't rubbing off. The graphics look amazing and it isn't the game I don't think. I just don't find SRPGs appealing. Though I kinda wish I liked this one in some weird way.

There will always be people not liking a game for all kinds of reasons, don't force yourself because it's liked much among community. What is your background though? What kind of games do you like?

Just finished mission 18a. It was easy alright, finished it in first try with a B. I could have easily made an A out of it. And thus I have one mission left. My squad are all level 16 except for scouts. I still have lots of upgrades to buy and I finally have Lynn. But I don't think I'm going to grind, it is time to finish this game. I'll leave a perfect playthrough for a new game+

Ps I didn't unlock skirmish 9, will you get that after you finish the game?

Koren

RpgN said:
I'll leave a perfect playthrough for a new game+
It isn't actually a challenge... Not for getting A, at least.

I'd like to know if there's a list of records in turns for each map... Does some gaffers would like to share theirs ?

Here are mines, at the current point on my NG+ (those with * are, as far as I know, best possible completion time, due to scripted events or distance/CP problems) :
A-1* Encounter at Bruhl
A-2* Defense of Bruhl
A-3* Retreat from Bruhl
A-1* West Bank of Vasel City
A-1* Battle for the Bridge
A-2 Wildwood Warfare at Kloden (1 turn seems out of reach, but... I have to try again)
A-1* Battle at Barious Desert
A-9* Desert Duel with Maximilian (or is it possible to make the tank fire before walls ?)
A-4* Escape from Forest Snare
A-2* Reunion in the Forest
A-2? Kidnapping of Cordelia (is it possible to reach the car in first turn ?)
A-5 Infiltration of Fouzen (definitely not optimal, I misread the objectives)
A-1* Liberation of Fouzen
A-2? Battle at Marberry Shore (I don't think it can be done in 1 turn, because of camp defenders, but...)
A-1* Recapture of Bruhl
A-3? Showdown at Naggiar (1) (the tank prevent me to capture the base in 2 turns...)
[... to come]

A-3? Vegetable Route Incident (don't think Largo can reach point in 2 turns, not absolutely sure)
A-1* Taking the Barious Highlands
A-1* Hostage Rescue Operation
A-3 An End to Darcsen Hunting (Maybe possible in 2 ?)
A-4 Garding the Refugee Camp (Definitely possible in 3)

I've yet to get mainy medals, too... 9, 10, 12-16 and 20. I know requirements for 9, and have ideas for 14-16. It's another fun feature.

Darkpen said:
Also, Alicia has Resist Crossfire as a potential, but it isn't active all the time, as it doesn't trigger all the time.
It will 99% of the time with Awaken Potential.

Boulayman said:
I am curious about:

1 CP: Resupply

Wouldn't you need to bring an engineer over for that ?
Engineers will resupply all contacted units in their given turn. The Resupply order will do so for a single unit for the cost of 1 CP.

akakaze

Banned
Still waiting for the price to drop on this one so I can pick it up. I rented it from Gamefly previously and really liked it, I just have so much on my "currently playing" list I didn't get a chance to finish it.

RpgN

Koren said:

Really? Well, I was talking as a whole= maximum level up, buying all upgrades, finding all the recruits, learning all the orders and getting A ranks :D

And today I finished the game, awesome experience. One of the best games ever, easily in my personal top 5. I wanted to finish the game in order to continue with other games like MGS4, Heavenly Sword etc. But I tried the new game plus a few hours ago, and just like masterkajo said, there are so many sweet things. It's like you're not done with the game :( I played the prologue and skirmish 9, and it grabs me yet again. There are enough new stuff to keep you interested. Besides the things mentioned above, I can listen to the Japanese dub now, play with other recruits I didn't the first time and complete the personnel tab. Oh yeah, there are many decorations left too. This is how a new game plus is done folks! I'm supposed to put it down though. Haha, what to do?

akakaze said:
Still waiting for the price to drop on this one so I can pick it up. I rented it from Gamefly previously and really liked it, I just have so much on my "currently playing" list I didn't get a chance to finish it.

You might as well pick it up becuase it wont drop for a loooooooooooooong time.

Hobbun

akakaze said:

You're going to be waiting a long time.

Koren

RpgN said:
Really? Well, I was talking as a whole= maximum level up, buying all upgrades, finding all the recruits, learning all the orders and getting A ranks :D
I've just finished my "new game plus"... Getting A-ranks is indeed pretty easy (your characters are so over-powered that most of the time sending Alicia alone will be sufficient to finish most of the maps (notable exception being special objectives, tanks that have to be destructed to succeed... Sometime, like
Fouzen 2, the bomb on the bridge
, it's better to use several scouts because of the length of the path, even with the last capacity of scouts
double mouvement
).

But indeed, there's PLENTLY of interesting things to do :
- trying to finish maps as quickly as possible (often 1-turn, which require some clever ideas sometimes)
- getting master levels for all classes, to see the most powerful (and powerful is a weak term) tricks you troops can perform
- finding hidden aces in maps
- getting all medals
- hard skirmishes
- unlocking everyone and filling the tabs
etc.

Psychotext said:
Talking of aces... is there a list anywhere? I really can't be bothered scouring the maps for them.
They'll come to you in most cases and are hard to miss. They have unique names, if that helps!:D

Yeah, but I'm mostly doing speed runs on my second playthrough. They don't really have much of a chance to attack me when I've completed the level by the end of the first turn. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
Psychotext said:
Talking of aces... is there a list anywhere? I really can't be bothered scouring the maps for them.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/qna/942165.html?qid=11365

Koren said:

I'd like to know if there's a list of records in turns for each map... Does some gaffers would like to share theirs ?
Darkpen said:
Edit:

Mwahahaha, yes! Done! Now I want DLC, dammit!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Dark-Pen/Photos/IMG_2178.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Dark-Pen/Photos/IMG_2179.jpg

(The mission names could be considered spoilery... I suppose, so a warning to anyone who doesn't want to see the mission names, I guess, though I wouldn't consider them spoilery).

People need to post their stats :p

Psychotext said:
Yeah, but I'm mostly doing speed runs on my second playthrough. They don't really have much of a chance to attack me when I've completed the level by the end of the first turn. :lol
Oh, I believe I saw one on the Gamefaqs message board page for Valkyria(It's a sticky). GL.

Koren

CrushDance said:
They'll come to you in most cases and are hard to miss.
Most, indeed. But I discovered (by looking at names of stolen weapon) I had missed a couple of them, including one in one at the very beginning of the story (and he's REALLY easy to miss without exploration)

Darkpen said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/IMG_2178.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/IMG_2179.jpg

(The mission names could be considered spoilery... I suppose, so a warning to anyone who doesn't want to see the mission names, I guess, though I wouldn't consider them spoilery).

People need to post their stats :p
Oh, many thanks... In the main missions, I've to improve my time on three of them... So
Kloden
is indeed doable in a single turn. I understand that you can finish the last mission in a single turn, too, but the mission before in 2 turns ? Impressive, and I don't see how to reach that
I needed 11 hits from my lancers, and they're master level...
. Back to work ! (but I have six shorter completion time)

Here is my current turn list (** : can be improved, * : could maybe be improved) :
1 2 3 1 1 2** 1 9 4 2 2* 5** 1 2* 1 3* 3 1 1 8 3* 3** 2** and 3 1 1 3* 4*
(total 73, 70 is a sure possibility, I think the very minimum should be in the 66-68 range)
I'll try to post a picture this evening...

(and I'm waiting too for DLC, now)

Haunted

Draft said:
Crushed mission 7 last night. Didn't lose a single soldier.
That's the spirit.

It's really only hard the first time if you're positioned wrongly/surprised by that silver haired bitch. Once you know she's coming, it's a cakewalk.

Draft said:
That guy's lancers do a retarded amount of damage. What's he doing?
Max lvl Lancers + last R&D upgrade probably.

AKS

Draft said:
Crushed mission 7 last night. Didn't lose a single soldier.

I managed to get through it after a few tries and didn't lose anybody, but it took way too many turns for me to consider my performance as being very impressive. I was mostly hiding from Selvaria, as she kicked the crap out of me in previous attempts.

Koren

Does someone has a full weapon list ? I'm still missing one, but don't now exactly where to look (I think I've gotten everything from missions, not sure about what trigger royal weapons, but I have had A on all missions)

I currently have :
Gallian S20, A20, X20
Gallian 1R, 3R, S10R, S20R
ZM Kar 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Mags 30, MAJ-X M20, T-MAG 20
Mags M1R, M3R, M10R, M20R, M30R
ZM MP 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
FF-8, FoG 07
VB FW 1&2
Theimer M20, Lancaar-SH M20
Lancaar M1R, M3R, Theimer M01R, M20R
GSR-30, Brondel M20, M120X
GSR 1R, 3R, 10R, 20R, 30R
ZM SG 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5

I'm guessing Gallian S30R, but where ?

Nose Master

Mission 8 was easy if you just
ignore Alicia and that entire camp, and just run Welkin by everyone. Another turn should get him to the far grass, which if he's crouching in, the snipers can't see him. After you get the tank it's a cakewalk, but snipers dominate on this map.

Also... was Mission 9 supposed to be that easy? I just spammed a shocktrooper for like five turns and won :X

I'm not sure I have the numbers right. I think I do.

Wow... I just managed to do Marberry Shore using only 8cp in one turn. Alicia is a god! :lol

- 3 CP: Defense Boost + Awaken Potential on Alicia
- 1 CP: Ran past the first invincible turrets and into the trench. Used Ragnaid. Double Movement activated. Ran out of the trench and around to where the camp before the turrets is.
- 1 CP: Killed the scout and Mysterious Body activated. Ran past the invincible turrets and down the side of the South West building. Double Movement activated so I ran past the first trooper and into their main camp, hiding behind the wood.
- 1 CP: Threw a grenade at the crouched trooper, ended turn.
- 1 CP: Killed the nearby scout, Mysterious Body activated, ended turn.
- 1 CP: Killed the trooper, captured base.
Total: 8 CP

:D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
it's 57 on amazon now, for those waiting for any price drop on principle.

levious

Hcoregamer00 said:
Future posts that state "OMG Valkyria is over $100 WHYYYY" should be fun to read.

you really think there will be enough demand for those kind of resale prices? I'm having trouble thinking of a US sega release that ever ended up like that. I sure wish more people wanted this game.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
levious said:
you really think there will be enough demand for those kind of resale prices? I'm having trouble thinking of a US sega release that ever ended up like that. I sure wish more people wanted this game.

Yes, Valkyria will likely be the type of game that will appreciate in value over time.

Limited print run along with positive word of mouth ensures that it will happen.

levious

I just don't think that enough people actually want it, but that may just be sega fan pessimism.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
levious said:
I just don't think that enough people actually want it, but that may just be sega fan pessimism.

I agree with you that not enough people want it (for now), which explains the pitiful North American sales.

In the future the continued positive perception along with the small print run means that the game will raise in value, think Panzer Dragoon Saga.

levious

but wasn't that only a 15k or so release? I didn't realize how lucky I was at the time, didn't pick it up until october of that year.

hiryu

I started this yesterday since I had to call off work because of the crappy weather. Man, what a great game. Thank you to this thread for convincing me to buy the game.

theBishop

Banned
I just got this game for my birthday. Realistically, I might not get to it for months. I panicked when I heard it was getting hard to find around Christmas time. I need to learn my lesson on these niche Japanese games that waiting for the price drop is only going to hurt in the long run.

I was able to find a copy of the game new for $52 shipped on eBay...the seller was selling another batch of the game for $51 shipped afterwards but I guess that went away pretty quickly as well. Must be because of this thread =)

gokieks

Koren said:
Does someone has a full weapon list ? I'm still missing one, but don't now exactly where to look (I think I've gotten everything from missions, not sure about what trigger royal weapons, but I have had A on all missions)

I currently have :
Gallian S20, A20, X20
Gallian 1R, 3R, S10R, S20R
ZM Kar 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Mags 30, MAJ-X M20, T-MAG 20
Mags M1R, M3R, M10R, M20R, M30R
ZM MP 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
FF-8, FoG 07
VB FW 1&2
Theimer M20, Lancaar-SH M20
Lancaar M1R, M3R, Theimer M01R, M20R
GSR-30, Brondel M20, M120X
GSR 1R, 3R, 10R, 20R, 30R
ZM SG 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5

I'm guessing Gallian S30R, but where ?

There's no S30R. The one you're missing is Lancaar M10R, royal weapon from Ch. 16/17. Which royal weapons you get is random and generated when you visit the Royal Hall, so save your game after you complete the battle, then reload until you get it.

SiegfriedFM said:
Here's my basic Chapter 7 tactic which works just fine:

You need a engineer and sniper in the top trench, and an engineer, lancer and shocktrooper in the lower trench. For the rest, a backup lancer and Alicia can be useful.

Your first priorities are to bring your sniper to climb on top of the right side of the tank, and to take out all enemies from there. After your third shot, climb down and bring up the engineer to reload. Climb back up and keep firing. You should be able to take down everyone this turn. Saving/loading can be useful.

Next turn, the tank will move (dropping the sniper, but it won't be hurt) in position along the lower trench. During this turn, you must use a lancer to take out both the south turrets, using the engineer to reload. You must also clear the two guys standing in front of the tank or you'll lose them. I just shove them into the trench as well. Once the turrets are down, you're perfectly safe in the lower trench until Selvaria appears. Also spend a turn dropping the first wall.

Now you must wait for the tank to make its move. As soon as it blows the wall, you can start grenading the radiators, and move/repair as necessary to keep up with the minor fire. While you wait for the tank to open the next radiator, as soon as it moves out of range, move your trench guys up to the sandbags that were smashed and repair them, giving them a safe haven against the next assault.

You should be able to take out the first two radiators before the tank gets through your western camp. Selvaria will appear with her troops. Bring Edelweiss to block her access wherever she decides to go. Your machine gun and the troops at the sandbags should be enough to take down the approaching enemies, and Selvaria is too stupid to move around Edelweiss for a better shot. Thus having neutralized her, take down the last radiator and then blast the thing with all you have.

There are some possible save/reloads to be done if you're unlucky. Selvaria might decide to run past your tank before it's in position and just kill everything at the sandbags. It's also possible that the sniper and engineer you left behind can be in trouble, and you can't bring anyone to save them.

Still, as soon as you get the preparations done properly, you can do the rest pretty easily.
Awesome, I am stuck on Ch.7, 0/3 at the monent. So I take it
grenading the radiators does more damage than using shots from a lancer? Also using the Edelweiss to block Selvaria is a great idea. She always wrecks my squad.

Top Bottom