• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Koren

gokieks said:
There's no S30R. The one you're missing is Lancaar M10R, royal weapon from Ch. 16/17. Which royal weapons you get is random and generated when you visit the Royal Hall, so save your game after you complete the battle, then reload until you get it.
Nice, many thanks...

On Average Difficulty, How Long is the Game? I see the thing on the front page, but I was just wondering is that based only on playthrough or a lot of fail and repeat.

I'm thinking of picking up the game and looking for something to play and spread throughout the month until KZ2 and Yakuza 3 come out. I really loved the demo (as short as it was). I just want to make sure (since its still at full retail) that it will take me a while to beat. If you can make comparison to any of game that is cool too.

Classic_Gs said:
Awesome, I am stuck on Ch.7, 0/3 at the monent. So I take it
grenading the radiators does more damage than using shots from a lancer? Also using the Edelweiss to block Selvaria is a great idea. She always wrecks my squad.

to answer the question that you spoiler tagged:
climb up the ladders and toss a grenade down into the radiator box, it will 1 shot it.

RpgN

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
On Average Difficulty, How Long is the Game? I see the thing on the front page, but I was just wondering is that based only on playthrough or a lot of fail and repeat.

I'm thinking of picking up the game and looking for something to play and spread throughout the month until KZ2 and Yakuza 3 come out. I really loved the demo (as short as it was). I just want to make sure (since its still at full retail) that it will take me a while to beat. If you can make comparison to any of game that is cool too.

It took me 39 hours to complete the game including skirmishes and extra missions. There are others who took longer and shorter to complete it too. The game gives you many new and extra options on new game plus that you can easily play again, high replay value. So you can spend some time on it for a good while, there are some DLCs planned too.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
My first run took me just over 19 hours, with probably an extra hour or two for failed missions and reloads. With a fully-stacked crew, I made it to the end of my third playthrough in less than 38 hours.

RpgN

SabinFigaro said:
My first run took me just over 19 hours, with probably an extra hour or two for failed missions and reloads. With a fully-stacked crew, I made it to the end of my third playthrough in less than 38 hours.

Wow, is that including skirmishes and extra missions?

My first playthrough took me easily over 30 hours... but I don't know how the timer works in the game. A lot of the time I'll be working and leaving the game on so I can play 10 mins here and there.

Which probably affected the counter somewhat. Either way, it felt like a long time.

Durante

SabinFigaro said:
My first run took me just over 19 hours, with probably an extra hour or two for failed missions and reloads.
WTF, did you skip the story? (Or at least the optional parts and all the skirmishes?) I'm over 30 hours in and still not completely done.

dudeguy24

Classic_Gs said:
Awesome, I am stuck on Ch.7, 0/3 at the monent. So I take it
grenading the radiators does more damage than using shots from a lancer? Also using the Edelweiss to block Selvaria is a great idea. She always wrecks my squad.

I agree with the tactic of using the Edelweiss to block Selvaria from killing all of your lancers.

However, what I did was I quickly wiped out all of the troops with the tank's mortar and destroyed all of the radiators except for the one on the right. I then overloaded the right side of the Batomys with 4 lancers and used it as cover as Selvaria will always stay on the left side of the tank.

Koren

Durante said:
WTF, did you skip the story? (Or at least the optional parts and all the skirmishes?) I'm over 30 hours in and still not completely done.
I think it took me also ~20-22h for my first playthrough, without skipping anything, and including the extra missions but without the skirmishes. It heavily depends on the way you use your time during the missions.

Koren said:
I think it took me also ~20-22h for my first playthrough, without skipping anything, and including the extra missions but without the skirmishes. It heavily depends on the way you use your time during the missions.
Indeed. Every story element complete here as well, and I did about half the skirmishes the first time round.

To divulge a bit about my playing style, at the end of my third playthrough
Maximilian
was defeated foe #1001.

Durante

Koren said:
I guess, for me a mission is only truly cleared when I killed every enemy on it and took every base :lol

akakaze

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
You might as well pick it up becuase it wont drop for a loooooooooooooong time.

Curious, what makes you think so? A lot of games that came out last year dropped really, really quickly. What makes this one immune (I noticed Sony first-party exclusives don't drop easily, but third party? You sure?)

I can wait a long time, or I'll just rerent it from GF and click the "keep it" button. :lol

It's a great game, I just have too much to play at the moment.

RpgN

Durante said:
I guess, for me a mission is only truly cleared when I killed every enemy on it and took every base :lol

Same here @_@ I also put a lot of time in reading the glossary, personal and weapons tab. They're so interesting...

I can't imagine finishing the game in 20 hours, it feels like a rushed job.

Durante

RpgN said:
Same here @_@ I also put a lot of time in reading the glossary, personal and weapons tab. They're so interesting...
Yeah, I always read all stuff like that in games I like. That's probably why my Mass Effect playthrough and right now my Ar Tonelico 2 progress takes almost twice as long as everyone else :D

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is there DLC on its way???
Yes, "early 2009".
OP OP OP

akakaze said:
Curious, what makes you think so? A lot of games that came out last year dropped really, really quickly. What makes this one immune (I noticed Sony first-party exclusives don't drop easily, but third party? You sure?)

I can wait a long time, or I'll just rerent it from GF and click the "keep it" button. :lol

VC distribution quanities are small and the game has not sold over 200k yet (to my knowledge). It is basicly going to become a hard to find, out of print soon, JRPG. If you ever keep up with the market you know that its shelf life has a very limited window and once its gone your stuck with the secondary market (ebay, craiglists, etc.), which will probably cost you more than buying the game @60 bucks (now) would.

akakaze said:

Think Atlus Syndrome. Remember what happened with the first Disgaea? Prices for it were astronomical after the first print. I really doubt you'll see a price drop for this game. Good luck on ebay.

Does anyone know if New Game + saves are transferrable? I know that I won't be able to complete the game 100%, so after beating the game, a 100% save data would be nice to have.

Koren

Psychotext said:
They're for a decoration (medal). Darkpen, I had saved but it was taking forever to get the last one I needed to turn up.
Edit : misread your post... You had to reload a lot of time to get the last weapon after a completed mission ? Bad luck :( I'm leaving my post in case some others are interested...

After your second playthrough, you should have all of them, except one or two (I was missing two of them). As soon as you know which ones, it's quite easy to get them, especially if you use the save trick.

- chapter 10b is doable in 1 (or 2) turn(s)
- chapter 11 is doable in 1 turn
- chapter 12 is easily doable in 1 turn
- chapter 15 are both doable in 1 turn
- chapter 17 is doable in 3 quick&easy turns
- last mission is doable in 1 turn

So half of the missions can be done in less than 5 minutes, if you know what's missing, it's not such a big issue.

Here is a list of royal weapons (they are awarded on different missions, depending on the power of the weapon, so you can guess which one comes from which mission) :
Gallian 1R, 3R, S1R (I used ch15b), S10R, S20R
Mags M1R, M3R, M10R, M20R, M30R
Lancaar M1R, M3R, Theimer M01R, M10R (I used ch17), M20R
GSR 1R, 3R, 10R, 20R, 30R

Linkified

Been on the hunt for this game in the UK, pretty difficult to find now. All the brick and mortar shops don't seem to have it in at all, but I wanna play this game. :(

Koren

Augemitbutter said:
collecting all weapons for a medal? interesting.

but too much work, no fun >=(
Again, when you finish the game the second time, you'll probably have nearly every royal weapon. It's not a lot of work to get those. But you may have more troubles getting all aces, some of them are pretty well hidden on the maps (or you can use recon request, but that's cheap ):lol )

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I want to punch my boyfriend for refusing to play this game because he didn't "get" the demo >:| He wants to just borrow mine, but that's not going to happen! How should I convince him to get his own copy?

gokieks

Kagari said:
I want to punch my boyfriend for refusing to play this game because he didn't "get" the demo >:| He wants to just borrow mine, but that's not going to happen! How should I convince him to get his own copy?

Isn't "holding out sex" the standard method for any type of convincing needed? :D

More seriously... you can maybe try to pretend to have "misplaced" it, until he buys his own copy.

unrelated but found this on 4chan :D
1233398035330.jpg

gokieks said:
Isn't "holding out sex" the standard method for any type of convincing needed? :D
I chuckled... which frankly is amazing for a Saturday morning when normally all I want to do is kick puppies. :lol

Shadow780

Kagari said:

*MUST.RESIST.SEX.JOKE.*

Polishing off the game now with some of the hard skirmishes. Level 2 is pretty vicious.

On the subject of creeped out... my missus commented on the women showing off their underwear when they crawl / dive for cover. It's not as though they're wearing gstrings though! :lol

vpance

Finished the game! The only real issue I had with the ending was
Faldio jumping off with Max. I thought he stopped his self destruct in time?

So what is the secret New Game+ mission or journal or whatever? Someone spoil it for me.

anotheriori said:
unrelated but found this on 4chan :D
1233398035330.jpg

LOL That's awesome. I never thought of it that way. I must be more desensitized than I thought.

Kagari said:

I want you as my girlfriend because you play this game. Oh wait, I'm married...

I wish my wife was more like you.

RpgN

hwateber said:
chapter 16 is kicking my ass :(
I don't know how you guys had so much trouble with 7/15, they were easy in comparison

The one where you have to lead the Marmota? What's so hard about it?

Top Bottom