• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

I am planning to finally start this game on steam so should I use my xbox 1 gamepad or kb+mouse?

Either or is fine, choose whatever you like more. You don't need to have precise aiming since everything freezes to a halt whenever you take aim so you can take your time to line up your shots

So I got the PS4 steelbook on eBay today. Probably will play this while I wait for SE to fix XV, if at all. I haven't played the PS3 version, so extra yay for me. How is the story? I hear good/bad things about it on the internet.

I even found out this thing has an anime, hows that?

I'll just quote myself earlier from the thread.

As for the anime, its just not worth it. It isn't completely without merit, but I'd still call it just plain bad in general.

Thanks. I should like it. Its kinda weird though, a jrpg with this type of setting.

Also this is getting a spiritual successor too in 2017. New everything.

Yea, the story is pretty great, especially if you throw in the Selvaria DLC, adds to her character (though the Edy squad is charming for the laughs it got out of me).

I'd also agree with the anime in that it does take a lot of liberties with the story for better or worse, and while the adaption wasn't quite to my liking...it did have a damn good opening. If you are interested in watching it, Crackle has it up for free to watch.

I am planning to finally start this game on steam so should I use my xbox 1 gamepad or kb+mouse?

If it's all the same to you I'd definitely go with a gamepad for one simple reason: controlling the tank. It's way more comfortable to do that on a controller than mouse+kb.

Bulzeeb

If it's all the same to you I'd definitely go with a gamepad for one simple reason: controlling the tank. It's way more comfortable to do that on a controller than mouse+kb.

I read online about that too and I'll go with that, lets se how it goes, I have had this game since its launch on steam and well it got stuck in backlog limbo

Baalzebup

Is this a pure strategy game, like XCOM etc?
Most certainly not. I'd actually argue that the player agency in this game remains at the tactical level altogether, but people have different interpretations of the word strategy.

It is squad level tactics using a system that mixes turn-based and real time elements. The character, class and weapon progression is relatively lite-RPG style.

Freeman76

Most certainly not. I'd actually argue that the player agency in this game remains at the tactical level altogether, but people have different interpretations of the word strategy.

It is squad level tactics using a system that mixes turn-based and real time elements. The character, class and weapon progression is relatively lite-RPG style.

So its more like a Fire Emblem game?

Freeman76

More or less a 3D Fire Emblem game with guns and tanks and artillery, though this game is much more fair, interesting and friendly in regards to leveling up and gaining weapons.

Shit. Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS had me hooked until the end, have you played that? Comparable?

Ragona

Cool to see this thread up!
Never played it back then, glad i caught up on it thanks to Gaf. Certainly one of my favorite games of the year.

Nyoro SF

Shit. Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS had me hooked until the end, have you played that? Comparable?

Definitely comparable and I have played both 3DS Fire Emblems. You take your turn, move units by spending a certain amount of "Command Points" (in Fire Emblem you can move every unit once, but in this game you have a more limited pool to prevent overwhelming the enemy with pure numbers). Then once you're out of Points the enemy takes their turn with their limited pool of Command Points.

This game also has permadeath like Fire Emblem.
Also like Fire Emblem; before the mission starts you pick and choose which units and where you want them to stand on the field. Positioning and unit types is important.

This game is more forgiving than Fire Emblem though. You can save anywhere anytime during your turn. Damage is lower and even if you pass stages with the worst ranks (thus gaining the smallest money and experience), there's always a way to win if you strategize well enough. You can beat the whole game without leveling up a single class, though it's pretty tough lol.

Keep in mind this game was released in 2008 and was pretty unique for the time, so it has a few rough edges. For example, if you want to swap out units in your squad with ones from the barracks, you have to jump through like... 3 menus. There's also stuff like not giving Orders a dedicated button (so everyone forgets they have them), tank controls being camera based instead of actual tank controls, etc. But I think if you have a fairly decent tolerance level you'll be just fine.

Freeman76

Definitely comparable and I have played both 3DS Fire Emblems. You take your turn, move units by spending a certain amount of "Command Points" (in Fire Emblem you can move every unit once, but in this game you have a more limited pool to prevent overwhelming the enemy with pure numbers). Then once you're out of Points the enemy takes their turn with their limited pool of Command Points.

This game also has permadeath like Fire Emblem.
Also like Fire Emblem; before the mission starts you pick and choose which units and where you want them to stand on the field. Positioning and unit types is important.

This game is more forgiving than Fire Emblem though. You can save anywhere anytime during your turn. Damage is lower and even if you pass stages with the worst ranks (thus gaining the smallest money and experience), there's always a way to win if you strategize well enough. You can beat the whole game without leveling up a single class, though it's pretty tough lol.

Keep in mind this game was released in 2008 and was pretty unique for the time, so it has a few rough edges. For example, if you want to swap out units in your squad with ones from the barracks, you have to jump through like... 3 menus. There's also stuff like not giving Orders a dedicated button (so everyone forgets they have them), tank controls being camera based instead of actual tank controls, etc. But I think if you have a fairly decent tolerance level you'll be just fine.

Thanks for info..sounds like an unusual setting for a game of this type does it have a stor

RPGCrazied

Got today, pretty awesome game. But, it looks like they didn't remaster the cutscenes? They look pretty bad, thankfully there is CG ones that look great, and comic book style ones that are okay too. Overall having a good time.

RPGCrazied

Sorry to double post, but man I need help with Chapter 5. I just can't do it. Any tips? I don't care about rank, I just want to finish this.

Nyoro SF

Sorry to double post, but man I need help with Chapter 5. I just can't do it. Any tips? I don't care about rank, I just want to finish this.

Blow up the logs on the right fork with a grenade and run a scout back there. Once you reach the main base start grenading the stationed enemy forces, stay out of sight of the enemy tank and move in for the capture. Use two scouts if you want to be more efficient.

If you're having trouble clearing them out don't be afraid to do an all-out offensive with Edelweiss and the shocktroopers to clear a path for your scout on the upper ridge.

RPGCrazied

Blow up the logs on the right fork with a grenade and run a scout back there. Once you reach the main base start grenading the stationed enemy forces, stay out of sight of the enemy tank and move in for the capture. Use two scouts if you want to be more efficient.

If you're having trouble clearing them out don't be afraid to do an all-out offensive with Edelweiss and the shocktroopers to clear a path for your scout on the upper ridge.

But there is a tank and two lancers with some shocktropper, scout wouldn't last a second by itself. I wish you could save in between turns or something, would be less tedious. The map is big.

Nyoro SF

But there is a tank and two lancers with some shocktropper, scout wouldn't last a second by itself. I wish you could save in between turns or something, would be less tedious. The map is big.

You can save in between turns.

Also the tank and two lancers is only the first stage of the map... are you stuck trying to kill the very first enemies in chapter 5?

RPGCrazied

You can save in between turns.

Also the tank and two lancers is only the first stage of the map... are you stuck trying to kill the very first enemies in chapter 5?

No, my problem is when the boss tank comes and calls reinforcements. Didn't know you can save in between turns. lol

That might make it easier now.

Just stopped playing this, I was really enjoying it until I found out that ranking was based entirely from speed and that it is really easy to beat most mission using a scout, defence boost, damage boost and caution. Prior to that I was really enjoying it, taking a break in the hope that when I come back to it I will ignore that most of the units are pointless because at the moment it is all I see. Bizarre that a TRPG would be so unbalanced so quickly.

Nyoro SF

No, my problem is when the boss tank comes and calls reinforcements. Didn't know you can save in between turns. lol

That might make it easier now.

Are you sure you know about the right path to the right of the first base? That path is the key to victory. If you don't use it, the map can take a while.

Just stopped playing this, I was really enjoying it until I found out that ranking was based entirely from speed and that it is really easy to beat most mission using a scout, defence boost, damage boost and caution. Prior to that I was really enjoying it, taking a break in the hope that when I come back to it I will ignore that most of the units are pointless because at the moment it is all I see. Bizarre that a TRPG would be so unbalanced so quickly.

While ranking highest with scouts is indeed a balance problem, ranks don't matter at all, neither do the rewards. For example you can A-Rank the whole game without leveling up a single class and equipment and without using a single Order.

The whole fun of the game is to come up with your own strategies, it's an SPRG by title for that reason. And honestly, I'd be hard pressed to find any SPRG in existence that was truly balanced. Every Fire Emblem game I've ever played has had a dumb strat dominate the game eventually, whether it was an unkillable tank-type character that could steamroll the opposition or stupid range options for instance.

While ranking highest with scouts is indeed a balance problem, ranks don't matter at all, neither do the rewards. For example you can A-Rank the whole game without leveling up a single class and equipment and without using a single Order.

The whole fun of the game is to come up with your own strategies, it's an SPRG by title for that reason. And honestly, I'd be hard pressed to find any SPRG in existence that was truly balanced. Every Fire Emblem game I've ever played has had a dumb strat dominate the game eventually, whether it was an unkillable tank-type character that could steamroll the opposition or stupid range options for instance.

That is what I was originally doing (why I like these type of games) then accidentally took a scout in too far placed defence boost on a level I was having difficulty with and beat it in 3 more moves. I can come up with a strategy, try and beat it the way I would like to but when I know I can just run in and do most missions in under ten mins it takes all the fun away. Most usually do become unbalanced or require some creative builds to break them but in this it is far too easy to find the unbalance, I didn't look online and found this out, that never happens. I'm usually happily ignorant until post game when I want to find the tricks.

RPGCrazied

This game seems to just stay hard now, does it ever get easier? That tank battle was brutal and super long, just when you thought you did it a super unit comes in and can easily wipe out your guys. Then you have to blow up the tank even more. I had to park my tank right in front of him so he couldn't move anymore. He was that close to my base.

Now I'm on the part trying to get Welkin back to his tank and I'm having trouble. I'm just no good at these type of games.

Nyoro SF

This game seems to just stay hard now, does it ever get easier? That tank battle was brutal and super long, just when you thought you did it a super unit comes in and can easily wipe out your guys. Then you have to blow up the tank even more. I had to park my tank right in front of him so he couldn't move anymore. He was that close to my base.

Now I'm on the part trying to get Welkin back to his tank and I'm having trouble. I'm just no good at these type of games.

I assume you are playing on PS4 or PC? I recommend streaming/recording the game and linking the archive in here so we can see if you're perhaps missing something.

Common errors made by first-timers;
1) Not deploying all your commanders (Alicia, Rosie, Largo) to maximize CP
2) Forgetting that Orders are in the pause menu (All Units Defend in particular is really great for beginners)
3) Not visiting every section of HQ between missions like the Graveyard

BUMP - I'm giving this game another go after having given up on it last year before Persona 5 comes out. So, can someone simplify the combat system to me? I lost a whole ton of health coz I was running around with the enemy shooting on me

Cornbread78

BUMP - I'm giving this game another go after having given up on it last year before Persona 5 comes out. So, can someone simplify the combat system to me? I lost a whole ton of health coz I was running around with the enemy shooting on me

I got lost as well, but there are a bunch of helpful posts/links in the OP.

Nyoro SF

Lots of posts in the thread that are useful, especially in the first pages.

However for your question; if you go into Aim Mode, it will stop enemies from firing and allow you to gauge your position.

So if you ever feel overwhelmed in the game while moving, enter Aim Mode to pause enemy attacks. You'll take some damage but it'll be minor.

I got lost as well, but there are a bunch of helpful posts/links in the OP.

Lots of posts in the thread that are useful, especially in the first pages.

However for your question; if you go into Aim Mode, it will stop enemies from firing and allow you to gauge your position.

So if you ever feel overwhelmed in the game while moving, enter Aim Mode to pause enemy attacks. You'll take some damage but it'll be minor.

i'm starting to get the hang of this, and I am enjoying it. the only thing right now is...it takes place in a fictional version of Europe, shouldn't the characters all have British accents?

once i'm done with this game I'll probably make an LTTP since this thread is so old

Cornbread78

i'm starting to get the hang of this, and I am enjoying it. the only thing right now is...it takes place in a fictional version of Europe, shouldn't the characters all have British accents?

once i'm done with this game I'll probably make an LTTP since this thread is so old

Who knows when I'll finally get it out of my backlog, lol.

HOLY SHIT, there it is, someone finally agrees with me on this.

Game seriously should have had a dub like Xenoblade's.

Oh well, maybe Revolution's dub will finally do it right
by having Turkish or at least Greek voice actors.
. That or the Valkyria 3 remake having a British dub... If it manages to actually coalesce after Revolution's poor Japanese sales, and if it does, if it manages to get localized after what I predict will be Revolution's poor western sales.

Bastables

. That or the Valkyria 3 remake having a British dub... If it manages to actually coalesce after Revolution's poor Japanese sales, and if it does, if it manages to get localized after what I predict will be Revolution's poor western sales.

Meh considering where Gallia is they should all have Dutch and/or Flemish accents \o/

Baalzebup

.it takes place in a fictional version of Europe, shouldn't the characters all have British accents?

But why? While it does indeed take place in fictional non-Europe, the British Isles equivalent doesn't play a major part in it. The majority of Europe has never spoken British English, so I'm not quite sure why Europans should either. The only character you could build a case for having a British accent is ambassador Townshend, who, at least in theory, could be from that area.

Heck, Gallia was previously a part of the Empire, so if anything, they should still have German accents if you wanted to have geographically sensible accents. At the very least, Gallians and the Imperials never have any difficulty understanding each other where language is concerned, so they must share the language.
Meh considering where Gallia is they should all have Dutch and/or Flemish accents \o/

Geographically, if not for the absence of Denmark, "Gallia" is straight up Saxony Holstein.
Or these. But definitely not British.
I'll never stop giving you shit over it if this thread gets its first birthday before you reach the end.
I may or may not be serious about this declaration

Cornbread78

I'll never stop giving you shit over it if this thread gets its first birthday before you reach the end.

LOL.

Dude, I just finished Tales of Berseria, I have Second Son, Doom, Mass Effect, Horizon, Nier and Witcher Complete Collection staring at me waiting for me to play, My P5 pre-order will be available in 4 days, #@%@^@#$^&#%&^

I have no idea man..... no idea!

Don't hate me for my backlog!

Bastables

Geographically, if not for the absence of Denmark, "Gallia" is straight up Saxony Holstein.

GODDAMNIT CRUSADER KINGS 2.

Sounds good then we could get some low german or friesian in there. Probably the former I'm not sure any one speaks friesian any more.

Low German would be good as I think there are still populations that speak a variant in the Netherlands.

alright i tried playing again last night, got up to the part where Gunther brings out the blue tank, but my god...the learning curve for this game might be too much for me which is a damn shame because I want to keep going with the story.

Alicia kept dying, and these shock troopers are hard to kill meanwhile the enemy tank blasts away at the wall and the blue tank doesn't move very far at all.

i am interested in the story but honestly this gameplay is hard to get into.

haha, i'm guessing you're somebody who posted in this thread saying the same thing that I did and nobody leveled with you?

what was the dub in xenoblade like?
But why? While it does indeed take place in fictional non-Europe, the British Isles equivalent doesn't play a major part in it. The majority of Europe has never spoken British English, so I'm not quite sure why Europans should either. The only character you could build a case for having a British accent is ambassador Townshend, who, at least in theory, could be from that area.

Heck, Gallia was previously a part of the Empire, so if anything, they should still have German accents if you wanted to have geographically sensible accents. At the very least, Gallians and the Imperials never have any difficulty understanding each other where language is concerned, so they must share the language.

Or these. But definitely not British.

Why? Well, because, it's a fictional version of Europe...just like Tolkein's Middle Earth or Martin's Westeros, they should just have British accents. Or, if like you and the other guy above suggested even more geographic-specific accurate accents, I would've been cool with that as well - but having them with American accents makes 0 sense.
trying to track down a cheap copy of the steelbook .......
I went out of my way to avoid the steelbook as much as possible and just imported the UK special edition.

Cornbread78

alright i tried playing again last night, got up to the part where Gunther brings out the blue tank, but my god...the learning curve for this game might be too much for me which is a damn shame because I want to keep going with the story.

Alicia kept dying, and these shock troopers are hard to kill meanwhile the enemy tank blasts away at the wall and the blue tank doesn't move very far at all.

This is where I got stuck as well. I later learned that you can climb the tower to beat the level easily, but I haven't gone back to try it out yet.

This is where I got stuck as well. I later learned that you can climb the tower to beat the level easily, but I haven't gone back to try it out yet.

that must be the way to do it then! which tower are we talkin about here? and who the fuck should I be shooting at first? the shock troopers, presumably? and i'm guessing for now I should just pretend the tank isn't even there since nothing seems to be phasing it, not even that blue highlighted part in the back

Nyoro SF

Well, remember what the mission objective says. It's not to kill all the enemies, it's just to kill the enemy tank.

This game has a very extensive tutorial, so keep going, soldier! And don't forget the pause menu in case you need to look up something.

that must be the way to do it then! which tower are we talkin about here? and who the fuck should I be shooting at first? the shock troopers, presumably? and i'm guessing for now I should just pretend the tank isn't even there since nothing seems to be phasing it, not even that blue highlighted part in the back

Wait, I thought you said you got to the part where Welkin brings out the tank? At that part, you should already be next to victory.
Are you crouching next to sandbags to reduce damage? Don't worry too much if the gate takes damage, it's only a problem if the gate's integrity drops to 20% or lower.

In this game, defense is paramount, crouching next to sandbags or crawling in grass is really critical for reducing damage and getting hits in.

Baalzebup

Here is a walkthrough for that mission. 1st turn, activate each troop once, move them forward a bit and headshot some fools, then return to the base area. The officer, the one with a red uniform and a golden medal on his portrait, is priority one. The nameless town guards should be placed in cover at the sandbags(make sure you actually crouch) and left facing the street. Alicia should be placed on the tower, again facing the street. The tower is right there in that little base, just look for the ladders and you'll get a prompt to climb. After that, don't do anything. Just skip turns until you get some reinforcements and then use all your CP to go to town with that new unit. It will take the 3rd move to get a firing solution on the tank, so you can use the mortar and such to kill troops while you're on the way.

There are some variations for this tac, but the basics are always the same. Do some damage, dig in, and wait for the cavalry.
Why? Well, because, it's a fictional version of Europe...just like Tolkein's Middle Earth or Martin's Westeros, they should just have British accents. Or, if like you and the other guy above suggested even more geographic-specific accurate accents, I would've been cool with that as well - but having them with American accents makes 0 sense.
The point is that since these aren't countries that should have English as the 1st language anyway, all accents from primarily English speaking countries would be equally nonsensical. British and US English are equally removed from whatever their actual language is. Its not like, if you're using the JP voices, anyone would assume that these people are actually supposed to be speaking Japanese. It's a case of the trope of Translation Convention

Eylos

Banned
So how has the game aged? 2008 was quite a while ago.
Just finished and its great, Cell shading is Very good, Very Nice/beautiful story

The game can get a Little tiring because some Battles take a lot of time, but other than that, its a great game. If you Like srpg you Must play this game.

Baalzebup

What is that Alicia? The OP has made no mention of any kind of real progress with the game despite it being released a year ago?
OGrKdUh.jpg

Cornbread78

What is that Alicia? The OP has made no mention of any kind of real progress with the game despite it being released a year ago?
OGrKdUh.jpg

Lol...

I got stuck and pushed it aside.... I'll get back to it eventually, but that is behind Mass Effect, Persona 5, Nier, Horizen, FFXII, and Cosmic Star Heroine...

Top Bottom