• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Murkas

Ok, so the platinum doesn't seem too bad so I may as well go for it. I haven't been able to find a clear cut guide for it though so have a few questions.

Is there anything that isn't grindable at the end of NG+? I know you need to get all A ranks, unlock everyones hidden potentials (use them in battle a little?), and get all the weapons and upgrades. Anything else?
None of that should take too long right?

Other than that I know I need to let someone die for a medal, I'll do that now before I finish the game so that they're back for NG+.

Also how does finishing the game work? I know missions are repeatable in NG+, but does that work for the final mission too, or does that boot you to NG++?

Just got the platinum yesterday, clocked in at 28ish hours.

Everything is pretty much grindable at the end of NG+, you can redo all the chapters so you can get your A ranks and farm royal weapons no problem.

Unlocking someone's hidden potential is easy:
-skirmish 1 easy
-kill one of your own teammates (have Rosie empty a clip on a sniper)
-have the person who's potential you wanna unlock revive them
-clear level and go to Ellet so she mentions the rising stars of squad 7

You can unlock 3 peoples potentials this way (maybe more but I just stuck with 3) , best to do it at the end of the game so you have access to all recruits. Remember there's 5 recruits who'll only appear when certain conditions are met. And yes, have so one die in NG for the splintered horn medal and just do their story on NG+ (which you need to do anyway because one recruit only shows up on NG+). If a recruit has a - it means potential hasn't unlocked (story characters are unlocked via reports), a diagonal line going across means they don't have a 4th potential so you're good.

Finishing the final mission on NG+ doesn't boot you, just don't play the epilogue chapter and you're good.

Grindiest thing I'd say was farming 1000 kills but if you leave that after A ranking everything you should only be left with a few hundred.

Just got the platinum yesterday, clocked in at 28ish hours.

Everything is pretty much grindable at the end of NG+, you can redo all the chapters so you can get your A ranks and farm royal weapons no problem.

Unlocking someone's hidden potential is easy:
-skirmish 1 easy
-kill one of your own teammates (have Rosie empty a clip on a sniper)
-have the person who's potential you wanna unlock revive them
-clear level and go to Ellet so she mentions the rising stars of squad 7

You can unlock 3 peoples potentials this way (maybe more but I just stuck with 3) , best to do it at the end of the game so you have access to all recruits. Remember there's 5 recruits who'll only appear when certain conditions are met. And yes, have so one die in NG for the splintered horn medal and just do their story on NG+ (which you need to do anyway because one recruit only shows up on NG+). If a recruit has a - it means potential hasn't unlocked (story characters are unlocked via reports), a diagonal line going across means they don't have a 4th potential so you're good.

Finishing the final mission on NG+ doesn't boot you, just don't play the epilogue chapter and you're good.

Grindiest thing I'd say was farming 1000 kills but if you leave that after A ranking everything you should only be left with a few hundred.

Fantastic post! Thank you!

I've only just discovered the optional reports (I was puzzled as to what I was spending money on the whole game :p). Does it matter when I do them? Going to go through them all now before I finish NG game if not.

Murkas

Fantastic post! Thank you!

I've only just discovered the optional reports (I was puzzled as to what I was spending money on the whole game :p). Does it matter when I do them? Going to go through them all now before I finish NG game if not.

Chronologically the reports take place between chapters but bar 1, you're not really lost, best to do them the moment you unlock it as th potentials can come in handy, but hey better late than never!

After playing through this 3 times on 3 different platforms and working through to the platinum on PS4 without using any guides, I am still entirely in love with this game. The sheer number of things you can clear in 1-2 turns is hilarious, story and skirmish. Some legitimately, some abusing arguably unbalanced mechanics, and a few via outright cheesing. I mean, look at this:
CkMFGxdUkAAU_ak.jpg
And there are 2 where I could probably shave off another turn if I tried a little harder or got a little luckier. "Full clear" of a map of course takes longer of course (and usually feels more satisfying), and a few take an extra turn to nab an ace. Finishing maps with goofy objectives like only using 1 job is also a hoot.
Does it matter when I do them?
Also of note-- There's a report that you can only unlock in the later half of a NG+, but there's no attached battle in it.

In spite of my complaints about the game overstaying its welcome (see my last post), it just hooked me again in a big way. Playing through again with overpowered characters has been a blast.

Gxgear

Does anyone have a full scan of the PS4 boxart anywhere? It's really bugging me that they're only offering the steelbook version in NA.

Nyoro SF

Does anyone have a full scan of the PS4 boxart anywhere? It's really bugging me that they're only offering the steelbook version in NA.

If it makes you feel better, the steelbook boxart is literally just two pieces of old art copied over one another; the Europa map (used as the inside of the JP PS3 box) and the Squad 7 full shot from the official artbook which has some popularity outside of the game.

Map:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/valkyria/images/5/5b/Name.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091018062910

Artbook cover:
http://segashiro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/valkyria_coverFull.jpg

It looks nice but it's not very earth shattering. It was a $30 release after all.

Gxgear

If it makes you feel better, the steelbook boxart is literally just two pieces of old art copied over one another; the Europa map (used as the inside of the JP PS3 box) and the Squad 7 full shot from the official artbook which has some popularity outside of the game.

Map:
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/valkyria/images/5/5b/Name.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091018062910

Artbook cover:
http://segashiro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/valkyria_coverFull.jpg

It looks nice but it's not very earth shattering. It was a $30 release after all.

Yeah, what I meant was I'm planning to tuck the game in a standard case w/ a customized cover.

Uh, so chapter 18.

How do I do any amount of good damage to the lance? My lancer takes like 18 hits to destroy it, and recovering one ammo per turn means that isn't fun.
I could bring all my lancers and run them up top I suppose.
Slowly dealing damage seems to just slowly result in me getting killed by the turrets (especially the Edelweiss), because the anti-tank ones even take 3 shots from lancers (which again, is 3 turns of ammo recovery).

I also couldn't figure out where they were referring to with the tanks aiming up on a slope. I tried directly in front of the Marmoto in its blast zone but they could only reach the bottom of the lance and not the vulnerable tip. But even then the tanks don't have enough movement to be getting in and out of that blast zone each turn.

Baalzebup

Uh, so chapter 18.

How do I do any amount of good damage to the lance? My lancer takes like 18 hits to destroy it, and recovering one ammo per turn means that isn't fun.
Slowly dealing damage seems to just slowly result in me getting killed by the turrets (especially the Edelweiss), because the anti-tank ones even take 3 shots from lancers (which again, is 3 turns of ammo recovery).

I also couldn't figure out where they were referring to with the tanks aiming up on a slope. I tried directly in front of the Marmoto in its blast zone but they could only reach the bottom of the lance and not the vulnerable tip. But even then the tanks don't have enough movement to be getting in and out of that blast zone each turn.

Engineers, bruw. Just running and touching another soldier with an engineer instantly fills out all their consumable ammo. One engineer can fill out any number of troops with a single activation.

Nyoro SF

Uh, so chapter 18.

Height makes a big difference in this game. Try to get your Lancers on the upper scaffold and aim. Height multiplier can have a big effect on damage dealt, and since Lancers are single-shot units it matters even more.

If you have the order Penetration, try using it on a Shocktrooper that has good vsArmor rating and range on their weapon and go to town. Combine that with the order Damage or Demolish Boost and that will help.

Don't bother moving Edelweiss in front, it's pointless. The damage dropoff from height is too high and it's risky.

I had the same problem you had when I first played this game. I had no idea what I was doing wrong and was fairly annoyed. The fact that the game hides the final target's health values with a "????" really pissed me off too. In the rebalance mod this was fixed to show the actual health value so you have an actual idea for how much damage you're doing. :p

Height makes a big difference in this game. Try to get your Lancers on the upper scaffold and aim. Height multiplier can have a big effect on damage dealt, and since Lancers are single-shot units it matters even more.

If you have the order Penetration, try using it on a Shocktrooper that has good vsArmor rating and range on their weapon and go to town. Combine that with the order Damage or Demolish Boost and that will help.

Don't bother moving Edelweiss in front, it's pointless. The damage dropoff from height is too high and it's risky.

I had the same problem you had when I first played this game. I had no idea what I was doing wrong and was fairly annoyed. The fact that the game hides the final target's health values with a "????" really pissed me off too. In the rebalance mod this was fixed to show the actual health value so you have an actual idea for how much damage you're doing. :p

I managed to do it shortly after that post by just bringing 4 lancers to the battle :p

Took out all the turrets/cannons on the first turn then moved them up top and went nuts.

Saw the Europa edition in a local gamestore for just 22 euro's so I just couldn't not buy it.

I'm very tempted to just keep it sealed as a collectors piece.....

But man, this game is so awesome, and I never even beat it!
What to do, what to do....

Muzy72

Banned
Saw the Europa edition in a local gamestore for just 22 euro's so I just couldn't not buy it.

I'm very tempted to just keep it sealed as a collectors piece.....

But man, this game is so awesome, and I never even beat it!
What to do, what to do....
Does the Europa edition have a steel book? I'm tempted to buy that edition if it doesn't just because I really hate steel books and that's all that's available in the US!

So a guide on GameFAQs says the easiest way to farm hidden potentials is just going to skirmish 1 and getting one unit to kill another then call a medic (1 point for participating in battle + 4 for medic = 5 for unlocking the potential), but when I try it my teammates dodge the friendly fire 90% of the time which makes it a massive pain.

How can I kill my men better?!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
So a guide on GameFAQs says the easiest way to farm hidden potentials is just going to skirmish 1 and getting one unit to kill another then call a medic (1 point for participating in battle + 4 for medic = 5 for unlocking the potential), but when I try it my teammates dodge the friendly fire 90% of the time which makes it a massive pain.

How can I kill my men better?!

I would say don't. I just filled up my team with people I needed then them solo'd skirmish 1 with Alicia over and over. It's repetitive but it was much faster than I thought. Each unit gets 1 point each time this way so if you'd never used them before you unlock the potential after 5 times.

Edit: I'd say I unlocked every potential in about 20 minutes this way.

Scrawnton

I blindly picked this up yesterday for PS4. I never played the original, but the gameplay intrigued me. I am on Chapter 6 and the characters are very good so far. Does the story go to interesting places, or is the gameplay the reason to stick with it in the long run?

Baalzebup

I blindly picked this up yesterday for PS4. I never played the original, but the gameplay intrigued me. I am on Chapter 6 and the characters are very good so far. Does the story go to interesting places, or is the gameplay the reason to stick with it in the long run?

The story is pretty basic with a few twists and turns to it, but the main pull there is coming to be really attached to the main cast. There is a distinct warmth to the main cast and their interactions. The latter half of the game includes few sections that can bring out the feels.

Gameplay-wise, the story missions will have plenty of variation to them and will also include various special circumstances to win through, including some properly deadly boss-entities.

Uh oh, didn't pop up on NPD.

ljadndexclqdpyfvwfvs.gif

If that "50k a week" number is holding true for Minecraft, we're looking at sub-200k in America right now, and that's without accounting for the numbers of the four games listed below Minecraft on the charts.

Giolon

Uh oh, didn't pop up on NPD.

If that "50k a week" number is holding true for Minecraft, we're looking at sub-200k in America right now, and that's without accounting for the numbers of the four games listed below Minecraft on the charts.

IDK if it's really anything to worry about. Every title in NPDs is a multiplatform title. Furthermore, this is a re-release of a cult classic on a single platform that also recently had a PC release. I'm glad we got it at all, and hope the sales are in line with what SEGA was hoping.

IDK if it's really anything to worry about. Every title in NPDs is a multiplatform title. Furthermore, this is a re-release of a cult classic on a single platform that also recently had a PC release. I'm glad we got it at all, and hope the sales are in line with what SEGA was hoping.

I just want a VC2 & VC3 Remake!!! Let the game sell well! <3

It's been a slow burn for me since I typically restart missions if I miss a shot I need to get a high rank. Aside from the disappointing quality of the cutscenes, it's still as fun as I remember.

After 46 hours I got the platinum, yeeeew.

Adored the main game (which took 28 hours iirc), but found everything after a bit average, getting the A ranks on the hard skirmishes was almost enough to make me hate the game haha.

The fact that spamming buffs on scouts and rushing the objective is the best way to get a good rank is really shitty too.

I'm interested in playing the PSP sequels now, though I really hope we get a proper VC4 on PS4 one day.

muteki

Up through chapter 13, really having fun. I'm still making plenty of dumb mistakes here and there but other than chapter 7 I feel like the game is pretty lenient on me. Most of my difficulties come from not knowing what is around the corner, and if I fail spectacularly my next attempt usually gives me no problems.

I've had a fair amount of trouble with the named enemy aces, since they seem to dodge everything. General strategy I've worked out so far is lots of grenades and/or attacking from multiple angles, since they tend to not dodge when attacking from the rear. From one I got a pretty sweet flamethrower that one-shots crouched bunker enemies, so I try to kill the aces when I see them.

Baalzebup

Up through chapter 13, really having fun. I'm still making plenty of dumb mistakes here and there but other than chapter 7 I feel like the game is pretty lenient on me. Most of my difficulties come from not knowing what is around the corner, and if I fail spectacularly my next attempt usually gives me no problems.

I've had a fair amount of trouble with the named enemy aces, since they seem to dodge everything. General strategy I've worked out so far is lots of grenades and/or attacking from multiple angles, since they tend to not dodge when attacking from the rear. From one I got a pretty sweet flamethrower that one-shots crouched bunker enemies, so I try to kill the aces when I see them.

The flamers are the only ace weapon type that are straight up automatic upgrades to what you can otherwise have at that point. The first one is outphased at the end, but the second ace flamer you pick up is the best flamer in the game, period. My NG+ run will always include multiple runs of the mission that drops it to get one for all my Shocktroopers.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Going to play this for the first time today.

Any tips for a complete beginner going in completely dark?

Ignore the ranking system and just enjoy the natural flow of combat, at least for the first play.

Baalzebup

Going to play this for the first time today.

Any tips for a complete beginner going in completely dark?

Did you read the OP? *hint hint*

They aren't all there, but post from myself, Nyoro SF and Berserker976 are often about spoiler-free advice.

muteki

Wow, took out Selvaria with just one CP. I was prepared for the worst.
Thanks tank smoke + Rosie from behind.

Took forever to set it up though.

ref

Ignore the ranking system and just enjoy the natural flow of combat, at least for the first play.

This 100%.

If you want to get all of the trophies, you'll need to play through the game 3 (iirc) anyways, so first time through, play it naturally the way you would. Save the rankings for future runs.

Started playing the ps4 remaster yesterday. Hmm pretty disappointed by the graphics. Aliasing every where!

Also I played this once through on ps3 and loved the story. But maybe I have changed because wow I have no patience for these cut scenes anymore. And the voice acting seems worse than I remembered.

At least the core gameplay is still great.

Cornbread78

Started playing the ps4 remaster yesterday. Hmm pretty disappointed by the graphics. Aliasing every where!

Also I played this once through on ps3 and loved the story. But maybe I have changed because wow I have no patience for these cut scenes anymore. And the voice acting seems worse than I remembered.

At least the core gameplay is still great.

The graphics I can understand, the water color style
Style covers much of that up though. I thought the voice acting was very tolerable, if not, pretty good though.

anderedna

Started this game this morning. Enjoyed it very much, even I've already played on PS3 to completion.

However the game keep on crashing once I've entered chapter 3, always during cutscene. Something about unable to read from the disc. I've cleaned the disc, uninstall and reinstall it back. Still stuck. I'm able to progress a bit by immediately skip the cutscene, until the game deemed that I'm not worthy to continue playing it by crashing at the very start of the cutscene.

I think I got a bad disc this time as I'm able to play other disc game just fine. First time for me, all PS3 BluRay are okay. I might need to quadruple dip this game once it hit PSN sale. Might as well check with the store I bought the disc for replacement.

After 6 years of having the PS3 version, I've finally started the PS4 version. The gameplay is outstanding, though I can see how some of you have said the story's nothing special. Though I am only on Chapter 6, it doesn't seem terribly complex right now.

Now off to the OP to get some pointers!

muteki

Beat the main game. I still have some extra stuff to do like the last skirmish, and the class challenges, but I did all the blue report missions.

I loved nearly all of it, and while the story was cliche, it was really well done imo. The last couple maps were a little disappointing, but others were really fun. 10, 11, 15, and 17 are probably my favorites. The more gimmicky levels less so.

Don't know when I'll get to the remaining extras or NG+...going to put this down for now and move on to TMS. Really kicking myself I should have played this back in the day, but either way, really enjoyable.

chogidogs

Finally finished the game after putting it down and picking it up again for every other week. I liked it but I kinda burned myself out farming my way to max classes that by the end, I didn't care about mission rank anymore.

Is the DLC any good? Is this a hard game to platinum?

Milijango

Just finished Chapter 7. This game is awesome.

But the guy at the Cemetery isn't offering to teach me an order anymore, even though he had one before which I never picked up. Did I miss out on it?

Nyoro SF

Just finished Chapter 7. This game is awesome.

But the guy at the Cemetery isn't offering to teach me an order anymore, even though he had one before which I never picked up. Did I miss out on it?

Nah, it's a random chance if he teaches you an order or not, and it's picked from a random pool.

If it makes you feel better, only about 2 of the Orders he has to teach you are good ones.

Jiraiza

Curious if the remastered on PS4 has redone translations? I'm playing it on Steam right now and oh boy, the localization for this game is complete, hot garbage.

Nyoro SF

Curious if the remastered on PS4 has redone translations? I'm playing it on Steam right now and oh boy, the localization for this game is complete, hot garbage.

Nope.

The localization is pretty horrible. At first I thought they were trying to match lip flap, but after watching a few more scenes that doesn't work at all either. It's just shoddy work.

EDIT: On the PC version, I tried looking into retranslating the game myself.
Replacing the subtitles in non-movie cutscenes is very easy. The way the game calls upon addresses for movie cutscenes is something that is way outside my expertise though. So I would need a programmer to help me. Some people put forward some efforts for me in the past but no one stuck around long enough for me to do a full job.

muteki

If you understand the original dialogue then read the text box it is quite a leap in some places. The English has a bit more flair which works in some places more than others.

For 7, making sure everyone was on the extreme south end of the map by the second cannon blast helped a lot. Taking the time to mop up the death to the north was a waste. That, and always turning my tank directly towards the enemy as its range is underestimated at the beginning of the mission.

Jiraiza

Nope.

The localization is pretty horrible. At first I thought they were trying to match lip flap, but after watching a few more scenes that doesn't work at all either. It's just shoddy work.

EDIT: On the PC version, I tried looking into retranslating the game myself.
Replacing the subtitles in non-movie cutscenes is very easy. The way the game calls upon addresses for movie cutscenes is something that is way outside my expertise though. So I would need a programmer to help me. Some people put forward some efforts for me in the past but no one stuck around long enough for me to do a full job.

The first person that comes to mind when it comes to JRPGs and programming is Durante; not that I know him personally, but you never know.

I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about it given how highly praised this game is; not knowing Japanese is bliss, I guess.

Top Bottom