• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Thinking about picking this up. Beat the first one, one of my favorite games of all time. Mostly wondering about performance? What's the framerate and is it stable?

Nose Master

Smoke bomb is so broken. AI that are around it just can't / don't do anything. Using it on Mission 15
let me just bumble up to the third switch. "OH NO GUNZ" mid running through smoke to pop it.

Wagram

I feel like a chapter of my life has finally closed.

CjhWHo6XEAA4YSZ.jpg:large

Hedge

The gameplay looks interesting and unique, but is it difficult for a person who has basically only played rpg's?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Beat chapter 7 which I remember seeing everyone bitch about :p

So is it smooth sailing from here?

For a for chapters but it picks up again with the best maps (in my opinion). You can see my false sense of security after chapter 7 get shattered above haha.

I've made it through most of the hard skirmishes now but I feel like all that's left is some grinding. Not sure I can be bother getting the last few weapons and then all of the hidden potentials.....

TsuWave

i bought this the day it came out but haven't played it yet, heard good things, thinking about booting up tomorrow.

any tips for a noob?

Nose Master

Best scout rushing map is
chapter 12

Nope. Unless you cheat! Chapters 10B, 14, 17 are all waiting for you! :p

I might be bad, but 15B is giving me a good old fashioned rogering atm.

I'm thinking about attempting to beat this game without ever using scouts. Think it's possible?

Nyoro SF

I'm thinking about attempting to beat this game without ever using scouts. Think it's possible?

Without scouts... I don't think so (certain mission turn requirements are too strict for how little AP other classes have). Engineers are broken at level 20 as a replacement, but it takes a while to get there, and it's not because of movement that those potentials are strong.

By the way if you want a tip for 15B; smoke erryday and watch them sight lines (make sure it's light blue)

Ponn

Banned

15B can be easy or hard depending on one turn or placement. Here's my basic game plan for that level.

Only deploy rosie, largo, alicia and maybe one engineer to heal tanks if they need it. Make sure to get that engineer into cover though first round or they will be picked off. Use largo to take out the tank on the right by running behind the buildings. Leave him back there under the cover of the buidings for now. Defense/awaken potential Alicia. run her up the right hand side, take out the AT gun and then capture the base. Now here is where you can cheese the whole map by just taking her right up to Selvaria and taking care of business. you may run out of turns though. You can play it safe here by waiting and deploying a shocktrooper and lancer and ending turn. use the lancer to take out the gatling gun up the stairs. Now you can bring your shockie and alicia up further closer to the next camp. prioritize taking out the tank and then the camp. Now you are in perfect position. I like to play around and deploy a sniper at this new camp to clear the path to selvaria. Yuu can use three cp on your lancer to take out the tank on the top level. if you are feeling cheeky use largo on the bottom to take out the tank down there by running behind it since its probably moved up by now. then use him to take out that gun on the bottom too. Now you can defense/awaken alicia run her up to Selvaria and take her out or if you are feeling REALLY cheeky you can use rosie and run up the left side to take out the other two camps before winning the map.

It gets easier the more times you do it.

Nose Master

15B can be easy or hard depending on one turn or placement. Here's my basic game plan for that level.

Only deploy rosie, largo, alicia and maybe one engineer to heal tanks if they need it. Make sure to get that engineer into cover though first round or they will be picked off. Use largo to take out the tank on the right by running behind the buildings. Leave him back there under the cover of the buidings for now. Defense/awaken potential Alicia. run her up the right hand side, take out the AT gun and then capture the base. Now here is where you can cheese the whole map by just taking her right up to Selvaria and taking care of business. you may run out of turns though. You can play it safe here by waiting and deploying a shocktrooper and lancer and ending turn. use the lancer to take out the gatling gun up the stairs. Now you can bring your shockie and alicia up further closer to the next camp. prioritize taking out the tank and then the camp. Now you are in perfect position. I like to play around and deploy a sniper at this new camp to clear the path to selvaria. Yuu can use three cp on your lancer to take out the tank on the top level. if you are feeling cheeky use largo on the bottom to take out the tank down there by running behind it since its probably moved up by now. then use him to take out that gun on the bottom too. Now you can defense/awaken alicia run her up to Selvaria and take her out or if you are feeling REALLY cheeky you can use rosie and run up the left side to take out the other two camps before winning the map.

It gets easier the more times you do it.

I ended up beating it by just shooting smoke bombs at
titty monster
and making sure everyone was behind cover when my turn was over. At the end I just
shot at her with a scout from the left side and then snuck up with a shocktrooper on the right.
. Wasn't all that bad.
Most enemy turns were just calling in reinforcements, and Selvaria running back and forth along the wall over and over.
Still got an A despite that it felt like I was taking my sweet time (I think it took 6 turns?) I was just really trying to think out how to be efficient and not just scoutfaceroll. Ended up with all the camps captured and only a few enemy units left.

I'm totally gonna try the scoutless run. The big desert maps are the only ones I'm concerned about.

Cornbread78

i bought this the day it came out but haven't played it yet, heard good things, thinking about booting up tomorrow.

any tips for a noob?

Yo, looks like they missed this, but there are a bunch of links and quoted stuff in the OP for newbies to read up about the game. Those should help a lot...

Anung

Un Rama
Finished this last night. Never managed to finish it back in the day (because of chapter 7) so it was great finally seeing the ending. Really enjoyed it and it had some nice twists and turns and some feels. I wasn't a fan of some of the gimmick missions (7-13) but the last few missions were dynamite. Not going to lie I did grind skirmishes and Scout scummed a little.

Kinda want to try get these trophies but they seem a bit grindy and I don't want to burn out on this so I might move on.

I can't believe how badly Sega botched marketing this game back in the day. The series deserves to be so much more.

Finished and it was awesome.
also,
anyone bothered by the fact that Leon was flying a plane with his eyes closed O_O

Don't worry Anung, I grinned the shit out of the skirmishes as well, I just wanted the squad to be maxed out just in case XD

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
When I actually want someone to die the enemy just isn't interested.... sigh.

Edit: haha they really didn't change the dialogue for the medal when someone dies? I'm not sure accomplishment is the right word Princess....

Edit 2: Getting all those medals was considerably my grindy than I expected.

valkyriachronicles_20r6aoz.png

So what's supposed to be wrong with VC2 exactly? Other than being a portable game instead of a full console sequel game of course. I'm still thinking of picking it up.

Murkas

Finished this game on PS3 and PC but decided to go for the platinum in this version and do all the post game stuff so decided to do the hard skirmish missions and I couldn't believe they actually programmed a splash sound effect, did the first skirmish, rushed Rosie across the bridge, tripped a land mine, she got launched over the railing into the river *splash * lol.

When I actually want someone to die the enemy just isn't interested.... sigh.

Edit 2: Getting all those medals was considerably my grindy than I expected.

https://abload.de/img/valkyriachronicles_20r6aoz.png[

So what's supposed to be wrong with VC2 exactly? Other than being a portable game instead of a full console sequel game of course. I'm still thinking of picking it up.[/QUOTE]

Speaking from my point of view, it has been a few years so could also somewhat be misremembering:
-Gorgeous water colour art from VC1? Gone, replaced by full generic animu.
-levels are now smaller and split up into zones due to PSP.
-if I remember right, you play the same couple of levels repeatedly.
-interesting war story with actual serious tones that aren't insulting? Have your basic high school anime crap instead.
-interception fire was kinda pointless.
-loads of different characters, each with their own personalities and flaws? Lol no have some high school kids.
-no character permadeath.
-if you thought grinding for the medals in VC1 was bad, wait till you see how much you gotta grind in VC2 for the class tokens. And I'm not implying that you're grinding because you need loads of them, there's different types of class tokens and it's all RNG. Good luck.
-a fucking swordsman class?!

I don't dislike anime stuff that much and I'd be the first to admit VC1 had numerous anime tropes up the ass, [spoiler]even a beach filler episode[/spoiler], but VC2 was next level.

I'm on mobile but someone can post that comparison pic between squad 7 from VC1 looking all serious to the squad from VC2 where the girls are holding guns while wearing school skirts, that kinda just showed it all.

In my opinion, you can give it a miss and won't miss much.

Fuck me. I just spent ~2 hours trying to cheese Selvaria's Last Stand, and I didn't make any progress. How do I get her to stop dodging the killing blow?

I'm wondering if I'd enjoy this game. I'm a fan of the art style, and I always thought it looked interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd actually enjoy it.
Is it similar to the new X-Com in anyway, or do you have more control over your characters? I remember someone mentioning it was like a RTS JRPG with WWII theme meets turn based Worms gameplay; is that accurate in anyway?

Shahed

Fuck me. I just spent ~2 hours trying to cheese Selvaria's Last Stand, and I didn't make any progress. How do I get her to stop dodging the killing blow?
If she's facing the unit she'll probably dodge every time.

Distract her with another unit. Pick a unit on her other side to get her attention. Even at range since while damage is nice it's not really necessary. Alternate between the two units who shoot from behind her. She's powerful though so you might want to pop into view so she just turns around instead of shootinh her if her retaliating fire is too strong.

If you really want to cheese her this is what I did 2nd playthrough when i was rushing through but that tactic is the exact same since by then gear is good enough.
on the turn you want to kill here make sure you have Alicia somewhat close to her (1-2 CP away) and a lot of spare CP. Use the Orders Awaken Potential, Attack Up, Neutralize and Penetration on her which will cost 6 CP. You can do Defence boost as well of the tanks take too.kuch out. Run in behind her and let the tanks next to her intercept fire of Alicia until half her health is gone and the Valkyria potential kicks in. Then using a decent damage weapon (the 7 shot ones will be fine) line her head up from directly behind amd Alicia should kill her in one turn

You can do the same with powerful Shocktroopers but they'll take ages to get to her.

Nyoro SF

Chapter 15B tips:

Deploy as few units as necessary
Smoke
the threat upstairs as soon as you can
Don't bother dragging the Edelweiss upstairs, in fact don't bother much with Edelweiss at all (cost and return isn't worth it outside the
smoke bomb
)
Don't move the Shamrock at all
Once you've captured the entirety of one side (I recommend going left; it's a little easier to crack through) call up Shocktroopers that have the "Undodgeable Shot" potential
Use "Awaken Potential" and "Neutralize" on a Shocktrooper and prepare to battle. (I used Vyse, who has the additional benefit of "Challenge Lover" potential)

If you don't have Awaken Potential, try to abuse sight lines instead. From an earlier post I made:

Blue sight line = you can see enemy, enemy can't see you.
Yellow sight line = you and the enemy can see each other. Enemy can now evade or block if fired at.
Red sight line = you are within enemy's interception range.
Green sight line = you are within enemy's interception range, enemy is reloading.

Reminder that an enemy that can't see you or has their back to you can't dodge. If you shoot around walls, corners or other obstructions and you have a blue sight line, that's a guaranteed hit. This applies to all units. It also means you don't need Neutralize if you've properly gotten yourself in cover. It can be a bit hard to do when shooting units farther away though.

You can also apply Caution + Defense Boost to a Scout and try to force your way up to the top from either side. You'll probably have to stop at the first base and request additional firepower before continuing upwards, because you'll run out of AP and there's more defenses at the second base at each arm of the map. After capturing the second base is when the real fight starts.

If she's facing the unit she'll probably dodge every time.

Distract her with another unit. Pick a unit on her other side to get her attention. Even at range since while damage is nice it's not really necessary. Alternate between the two units who shoot from behind her. She's powerful though so you might want to pop into view so she just turns around instead of shootinh her if her retaliating fire is too strong.

If you really want to cheese her this is what I did 2nd playthrough when i was rushing through but that tactic is the exact same since by then gear is good enough.
on the turn you want to kill here make sure you have Alicia somewhat close to her (1-2 CP away) and a lot of spare CP. Use the Orders Awaken Potential, Attack Up, Neutralize and Penetration on her which will cost 6 CP. You can do Defence boost as well of the tanks take too.kuch out. Run in behind her and let the tanks next to her intercept fire of Alicia until half her health is gone and the Valkyria potential kicks in. Then using a decent damage weapon (the 7 shot ones will be fine) line her head up from directly behind amd Alicia should kill her in one turn

You can do the same with powerful Shocktroopers but they'll take ages to get to her.

I actually got lucky and made it all work almost immediately after writing that desperate post. Accuracy Boost and Camaraderie triggered for the last shot, making it actually hit. Thank goodness.

Chapter 15B tips:

Deploy as few units as necessary
Smoke
the threat upstairs as soon as you can
Don't bother dragging the Edelweiss upstairs, in fact don't bother much with Edelweiss at all (cost and return isn't worth it outside the
smoke bomb
)
Don't move the Shamrock at all
Once you've captured the entirety of one side (I recommend going left; it's a little easier to crack through) call up Shocktroopers that have the "Undodgeable Shot" potential
Use "Awaken Potential" and "Neutralize" on a Shocktrooper and prepare to battle. (I used Vyse, who has the additional benefit of "Challenge Lover" potential)

If you don't have Awaken Potential, try to abuse sight lines instead. From an earlier post I made:

Blue sight line = you can see enemy, enemy can't see you.
Yellow sight line = you and the enemy can see each other. Enemy can now evade or block if fired at.
Red sight line = you are within enemy's interception range.
Green sight line = you are within enemy's interception range, enemy is reloading.

Reminder that an enemy that can't see you or has their back to you can't dodge. If you shoot around walls, corners or other obstructions and you have a blue sight line, that's a guaranteed hit. This applies to all units. It also means you don't need Neutralize if you've properly gotten yourself in cover. It can be a bit hard to do when shooting units farther away though.

You can also apply Caution + Defense Boost to a Scout and try to force your way up to the top from either side. You'll probably have to stop at the first base and request additional firepower before continuing upwards, because you'll run out of AP and there's more defenses at the second base at each arm of the map. After capturing the second base is when the real fight starts.

I would have loved having these tips when I started the game! I didn't realize the significance of those sight lines until your post. Whoops.

This game endeared itself to me in a big way, but I can't help but feel I like I did it a disservice by through the end. The mounting pressure of making it through my backlog got the better of me, unfortunately. I was almost going to go for the Platinum, but I'll probably just try VK2 once I have the desire to play again.

muteki

Probably going to try out the dreaded Chapter 7 tonight.

I've been making plenty of stupid mistakes so far, but still getting on fairly well. Haven't felt forced into a game over, though died once to a ridiculously accurate lancer shot to the back of the Edelweiss.

Nyoro SF

I would have loved having these tips when I started the game! I didn't realize the significance of those sight lines until your post. Whoops.

This game endeared itself to me in a big way, but I can't help but feel I like I did it a disservice by through the end. The mounting pressure of making it through my backlog got the better of me, unfortunately. I was almost going to go for the Platinum, but I'll probably just try VC2 once I have the desire to play again.

It's all good. When I played through the first time, I had a vague idea of how sight lines worked, but I had no idea about evasion and such because it's so rare that an enemy ever evaded that it never occurred to me how to avoid the problem (I used back to back snipers headshotting the boss in the back of the head for a C rank on my first run).

By the way I recommend skipping VC2 and going straight to VC3 (The games are standalone with fun cameos only, and VC2's story is so awful there's nothing to spoil). If you are OK with what VC3 offers, see if you can stomach VC2 after.

Probably going to try out the dreaded Chapter 7 tonight.

I've been making plenty of stupid mistakes so far, but still getting on fairly well. Haven't felt forced into a game over, though died once to a ridiculously accurate lancer shot to the back of the Edelweiss.

Chapter 7 Tips - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=204424318&highlight=#post204424318

It's all good. When I played through the first time, I had a vague idea of how sight lines worked, but I had no idea about evasion and such because it's so rare that an enemy ever evaded that it never occurred to me how to avoid the problem (I used back to back snipers headshotting the boss in the back of the head for a C rank on my first run).

By the way I recommend skipping VC2 and going straight to VC3 (The games are standalone with fun cameos only, and VC2's story is so awful there's nothing to spoil). If you are OK with what VC3 offers, see if you can stomach VC2 after.

Chapter 7 Tips - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=204424318&highlight=#post204424318

Is VC2 really that bad? I can handle a shitty story, to be honest, especially if there are gameplay improvements. VC3 was never localized, right?

Is VC2 really that bad? I can handle a shitty story, to be honest, especially if there are gameplay improvements. VC3 was never localized, right?

It's...actually pretty bad. It's a rather large step back in terms of strategic possibility space, interesting character themes and dramatic tension. VC3 is more of an in between.

Nyoro SF

The gameplay improvements are only a few small changes (like notifying you which direction you're attacking someone, and making team attack ranges more lenient)

Everything else is worse. Much worse.

Pretty much the only good thing about the game is the music. That's because Sakamoto is a god. There's no game awful enough to contain him.

Owensboro

I've finished and have started going for A ranks on the skirmish maps.... and I'm amazed at how much you can just abuse Alicia to do almost all of them in one turn. It's pretty hilarious to get through a Hard ranked map with just her (and Largo + Rosie for the CP bonus). Of course, this is going to make going for that "# of enemies killed" trophy much harder.

muteki

So my experience with chapter 7:

First time through I was doing pretty good for my first try not having any clue what I was getting myself into, had all the turrets taken care of and maybe one radiator when the Lancer on the hill one-shotted my tank, game over. Stupid mistake.

Second time through I took a single Shock Trooper from the southern start point up the hill, and took out all those guys first turn. I got through the turrets as well but was having a much harder time of it this time. Lancer shots just weren't working out for me at all because I would try to peek around my tank or walls, and before I could bring up my aim I was either dead or lost 90% of my health by turret interception. So was using tank for the most part. Getting the radiators was actually relatively easy (never would have guessed to use grenades though), but waiting multiple turns for the tank to take a shot was frustrating.
Selvaria
showed up and wiped out anyone I had left North/NorthEast of the tank, but I had a Shocktrooper hidden in the walls to the South ready to take out the last radiator. Moved my tank between
Selvaria
and the ladder, and took out the last radiator pretty simple.

Here is where I really screwed up, because I really wasn't expecting having to take the tank out. I thought the last radiator would do it (which triggered a cutscene that I really thought would end the match), or at the very least the tank would run off after half health
like the last boss.
So I really had a skeleton crew left at this point with one Lancer and my tank, and just couldn't take the tank out by the time I figured out what I was supposed to do.

I had my tank parked alongside the big tank facing east, as from the pre-mission figured this was a blindspot to the main guns. Had the tank down to ~25% or so and would have it the next turn, but from out of nowhere my tank got one-shotted in the back, game over. I don't really know how it happened, but it would have to be either the rear gun on the boss tank has a much larger range than indicated (as I was right up next to the side) or, more likely I think, reinforcement Lancer came in from the SW base that just got run over and that got me.

Either way, I have a save from just after
Selvaria
shows up, and will know to get a bunch more Lancer reinforcements from the SE base and place my tank better. Should be straightforward from here on out.

My biggest frustrations with the mission are waiting for the tank to take shots, and the turret interception fire continuing after I've started to aim. Grr. But most of that is behind me at least.
Selvaria
was almost a non-issue for me because once it arrives, it never moves (or didn't for me).

muteki

Finally done with Ch 7. Rear guns range is more than advertised. Only one turn off of A rank too :(

I got my scouts up to elite. This grenade launcher is ridiculous!

God, this game *really* drags toward the end.

Any tips for cheesing chapter 18 p.1? I'm not as strong as those in some of the strategy videos I've watched.

How close am I to the end?

In 15-2 how do you
get behind Selvaria to attack? Even if I approach from her back she just turns right around and starts unloading. Am I meant to bring my tank all the way to her for smoke rounds?

Edit:
Tried again and it worked, must have been on a slight angle before?

Nyoro SF

In 15-2 how do you
get behind Selvaria to attack? Even if I approach from her back she just turns right around and starts unloading. Am I meant to bring my tank all the way to her for smoke rounds?

Edit:
Tried again and it worked, must have been on a slight angle before?

It's too bad you did not look up, the tips are on the same page... :p

It's too bad you did not look up, the tips are on the same page... :p

Whoops :p

Well that was mainly my strategy anyhow.

Used smoke on the left stairs at the start and had two scouts go up that way to clear out the enemies, then used Awaken Potential + Caution + Damage Boost on Alicia and used her to take out the tanks up top and capture all the bases.

It was then from there I had a scout on either side of Selvaria, but when I sent one in she turned around and starting shooting to my surprise, but then yeah, I tried with the other scout and she didn't turn around so yeah :p

Been playing this game for a couple of hours. I'm reaally really really bad at it though. So far I don't mind the trial and error approach plus it feels so good when your tactics work out. On chapter 4 or 5 now and really enjoying it.

Ok, so the platinum doesn't seem too bad so I may as well go for it. I haven't been able to find a clear cut guide for it though so have a few questions.

Is there anything that isn't grindable at the end of NG+? I know you need to get all A ranks, unlock everyones hidden potentials (use them in battle a little?), and get all the weapons and upgrades. Anything else?
None of that should take too long right?

Other than that I know I need to let someone die for a medal, I'll do that now before I finish the game so that they're back for NG+.

Also how does finishing the game work? I know missions are repeatable in NG+, but does that work for the final mission too, or does that boot you to NG++?

Top Bottom