• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve and Xi3 announce Steam-based mini-PC

Low power usage. Almost small and light enough to be wearable you could say.

Is the idea of the steambox for it to be a conventional 1080p console with steam big picture mode only more powerful?

Yeah, basically we were expecting a more powerful modular system. Basically the system here but perhaps with a low-profile expresscard slot or something with a more powerful GPU/CPU combo.

The A10 isn't horrible by any stretch, but the CPU part is vastly underwhelming and the GPU part is mid at best. Our expectations were low-end enthusiast for both parts at a Entry to Mid price.

JackEtc

I had hands on with one of these at a trade show put on by the computer repair shop I work for's distributor a few months ago. They are crazy, but the guy working the booth (it was a small company, I don't think it was just a PR guy) said that their target audience was offices and schools.

It has potential, but we'll have to see.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
My guess is Modular = extendable parts ; upgradable easily for the next ten years, but they'll package the upgrade in a way that sits easily on the existing hardware.

Otherwise, it'll be a Roku-like box but for games on Steam.

Pooya

"Valve will be at CES to meet with hardware and content developers in our booth space," Lombardi said. "We are bringing multiple custom (hardware) prototypes as well as some off-the-shelf PCs to our CES meetings."

Lombardi described the prototypes as "low-cost, high-performance designs for the living room that are great candidates for Steam and Big Picture.

"We will be sharing more information to the press and public in the coming months," he added.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/8/385...ware-and-content-developers-at-ces-piston-one

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just priced all these components at Newegg. $675 with the 560 and $630 with the 6870, and that's with one hard drive. "Exactly" nothing.
I priced them out and I got $500. 1 HDD.
After installing windows 8 (15-20GB) and witcher 2 (15gb) and crisis (12gb) , you won't even have space for NFS.

Lol, seriously man
I'm dumb. Dunno what I was thinking there.
Maybe a hybrid 500GB at that price point could be really nice.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I don't know if this was mentioned already, but a Steam Box with a Companion Cube lookalike case would sell like Furbies back in 1997.

I should e-mail Gaben about this, it'll print money like Nintendo did back in the day.

Top Bottom