• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The big problem with touch pads/ touch screens is you never know when you are actually over a button or pressing it. Valve has tried to rectify this by having some adjustable haptic feedback fire when you press one of the circle pads. Throughout my play session the haptic feedback helped with the problem, but wasn’t enough to solve it.

Haptic response not a silver bullet?

Who would have thought?

Clawww

So basically, this controller rocks. Works totally fine as a 3d printed prototype with non-finalized design and firmware. With more time and testing this shit is gonna be sweet as fuck.

This controller is meant for every game on Steam. The games he mention would easily be playable on this controller. Hell, You only need 4 buttons for Tekken

Hence why I said these can easily be mapped to the Steam Controller, as long as the games are doable using KB+M. I don't know what we're disagreeing here.

Momentary

Banned
Name the last fighter you played without using thumbs.[/QUOTE

Every goddamn fighting game I play since I use an arcade stick.

Oh look another controller that doesn't require my thumbs to press buttons. Maybe I can use my fingers on this too.

Just shut up with your close mindedness.

Clawww

Name the last fighter you played without using thumbs.

Tekken would work fine, chief, I don't understand your confusion. There are more than enough inputs. Tekken uses 4 action buttons; two face buttons on the right and the two rear buttons have you covered. Your thumb is doing less work and you can easily hit the many simultaneous presses Tekken requires without using a claw grip. That's not even getting to the four shoulder triggers. Just because it doesn't have four fucking face buttons doesn't mean shit isn't playable.

Now, if you want to get into an argument about whether this will be "good" for Tekken, that's a different story. But it certainly will function just fine and not any worse than a regular controller.

Parapraxis

Every goddamn fighting game I play since I use an arcade stick.

Oh look another contoller that doesn't require my thumbs to press buttons.

Just shut up with your close mindedness

I almost knew you would say you use a arcade stick.
Astounding really.

Anyways, this controller looks interesting, I do find it pretty amazing the general reaction here though.
Like I said, had anybody other then Valve put this forward it would not be so highly regarded based on a few first impressions and mock-ups.

Clawww

It's pretty crazy (and awesome) that the entire pad can be used as all four face buttons.

I'm excited for the possibility of modifying the layout of buttons. Maybe you could, like, recreate a gamecube layout with a fatter button in the middle, or for simpler games even divide the track pad into just two buttons instead of four.

zoku88

I wish he had time/interest to play a game that can typically only be played with a kb+m. Like some strategy game.

EDIT: Osiris is the master of selective quoting.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
That's the one thing you picked up out of that whole article?

No, I thought this was interesting too:

If you were to ask me to choose between Steam Controller and a 360 controller, I would choose 360.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Tommy Refenes' post about his thoughts on the controller:

http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller

edit - someone already posted at the bottom of the last page

I would choose a 360 controller because I have several thousand hours experience using it, however if tomorrow all game controllers were wiped off the earth and the only option was the Steam Controller, I don’t think this would be a bad thing. In fact, I don’t think gaming would miss a beat.

I'm excited for the possibility of modifying the layout of buttons. Maybe you could, like, recreate a gamecube layout with a fatter button in the middle, or for simpler games even divide the track pad into just two buttons instead of four.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that.

Damn I want this thing in my hands.

Momentary

Banned

Gotta love it when people take things out of context.

If you were to ask me if I would play games with the Steam Controller…I would say yes. If you were to ask me to choose between Steam Controller and a 360 controller, I would choose 360. Don’t take that as slight to the controller though because it’s more about the comfort of familiarity over functionality. I would choose a 360 controller because I have several thousand hours experience using it, however if tomorrow all game controllers were wiped off the earth and the only option was the Steam Controller, I don’t think this would be a bad thing. In fact, I don’t think gaming would miss a beat. I’m excited to see what final hardware feels like because I think with the upcoming iterations of the controller we’ll see something that is different, but still feels good.

oh my god

this thing has sixteen buttons plus a touchscreen and you guys are acting like it's impossible to play games on the thing

The really funny thing is that it's designed to provide keyboard-equivalent inputs, which in many games (like all MMOs) means you can actually use held-modifiers (CTRL, SHIFT, etc.) to double or even triple the number of possible inputs from a single button. Hell, even the DS3 can do this just fine in FFXIV.

The problem is that people are thinking in terms of console game design - which prioritizes face buttons - rather than PC design, which actually doesn't tend to need that many additional inputs outside of the mouse and WASD + QE and maybe CTRL/SHIFT. The left pad probably completely handles WASD + QE, the triggers handle mouse functions; there isn't actually a huge need for four easy-access face buttons in most PC control setups.

moggio

Banned

What about this bit:

I would choose a 360 controller because I have several thousand hours experience using it, however if tomorrow all game controllers were wiped off the earth and the only option was the Steam Controller, I don’t think this would be a bad thing. In fact, I don’t think gaming would miss a beat.

Clawww

Holy selective reading, Batman!

horse-blinders.jpg

Parapraxis

I don't get it, do you *need* to be pressing at least four buttons with your thumb? Is that the metric for an appropriate controller?

Not generally in fighters no...not at the same time, but you do need to go from one face button to another very fast and often in repetition.

I find it amazing how vehement some people are becoming by the criticism myself and others have regarding the design.

Not generally in fighters no...not at the same time, but you do need to go from one face button to another very fast and often in repetition.

I find it amazing how vehement some people are becoming by the criticism myself and others have regarding the design.

Sorry, what would keep you from moving between buttons quickly?

It's because you and the others here are still thinking that this is a console device when it is not. Unless you've been PC gaming for years now, you won't understand the possibilities this controller is providing.

Osiris

You are not allowed to dislike things they like, report in at your Valve Re-education Centre for adjustment. ;) :p

Clawww

My question is directed at YOU personally; I play fighting games seriously, so I understand what they require, and the steam controller seems perfectly fine to make them as playable as they are on a 360 controller.

Your criticism doesn't make sense. What exactly is holding this controller back from being able to play Tekken. Lacking four face buttons doesn't mean those inputs can't be mapped elsewhere.

Parapraxis

Sorry, what would keep you from moving between buttons quickly?

For the same reason hardcore fighting gamers are almost exclusively using arcade sticks. The layout does not look efficient for "moderate" fighting game players..TO ME.

Is it really that hard to understand?

Parapraxis

It's because you and the others here are still thinking that this is a console device when it is not. Unless you've been PC gaming for years now, you won't understand the possibilities this controller is providing.

Oh I get it...I'm just not "intelligent" enough.

jesus...

For the same reason hardcore fighting gamers are almost exclusively using arcade sticks. The layout does not look efficient for "moderate" fighting game players..TO ME.

So you're trying to compare this to a fight stick? That makes sense. I don't think and I'm not trying to say this controller is the end all be all input device for every game. I just think it has serious potential to be better than the average 360/ps3 pad we see.

Parapraxis

Because of your stupid button comments when you've got all these buttons that 8 appendages can reach at the same damn TIME!

But..PERSONALLY that would be absolute shit for a fighting game or a third person action game such as DMC.
I do not want to play them with my pointing or index finger, nor do I feel they would be fast enough.

ironcreed

Banned

Big innovations that just might represent the future always are at first. It's about time someone stepped up to the plate to change the controller in a way that is actually meaningful, without gimmicks and just makes sense. I truly hope it works just as they say, as it will be amazing if it does. This is the most 'next gen' thing I have seen lately.

I feel that this is what is happening in this thread:

PC Gamers: "Cool, this looks interesting. A controller that has enough buttons where you can finally map main keyboard functions in. And the right pad looks like it can be a viable option for actual mouse tracking!"

Console Gamers: "B-b-but it doesn't have face buttons!"

Clawww

But it pretty much is more efficient... your thumb is moving across less buttons, and simultaneous presses are made easier. Please tell me: how do you input 1+4 or 2+3 when playing Tekken on a normal controller with just your thumb? It's really fucking hard, but the rear buttons on the steam controller make this a lot easier.

Also, you're now talking about relative effectiveness of a controller for a fighting game. That's a different argument. PS3/360 controllers aren't ideal for fighters, either; they aren't designed to be, nor is this.

So, if your overall statement is, 'this doesn't look that great for fighters'--then yea, you're right, and I agree with you. In terms of layout potential, it's probably better than a 360/PS3 controller, and at worst, exactly the same because you can fucking map face buttons to the trackpads.

Osiris

It's not about like or dislike. It's about you morons spewing falsities and selective quotes all over the place.

More ad-homs, if that's all you have you already lost the debate.

You should calm down, you're spitting drool all over your screen.

maybe sth. like a like button but NO dislike button and you can filter and organize a thread by "Most likes" xD

Yeah, something like that. It would also help coordinate intelligent, funny, creative, or thoughtful responses to quality posts as the most interesting things would arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom