• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces SteamOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CryptiK

After having realised something Im not as excited. Most games currently do not support Linux so SteamOS is only going to run Valve games and a few others for quite awhile. We probably wont get any EA, Activision or Ubisoft games on this for quite a long time.

I just don't understand how Valve does it. They are a company of less than 300 people and are able to make award winning games, developer tools, content distribution system and now a freaking OS. Are Valve employees the most productive humans the world has ever seen? Jeez. How are they able to work on so many complex projects at once - I just don't get it.

Sendou

B6t9CNV.jpg

I wonder what's the bottom right game here.

Pachael

+: I can see Family Options becoming something like a 'separate library' for separate users feature. That'd be great.

?: Not really sure what 'AAA' to SteamOS means - I think this just means 'more games to Linux which can run on the service'.

Oh well, who knows, this is only the first announcement. On to the next!

iceatcs

I'm right. Knew it was something to do with software, Valve might be too small for own hardware market.

Coldsnap

The streaming does sound promising.. I could see having your big PC rig in one room with just a small steam box connected to TV.

This is massive.

Valve already schooled Microsoft on PC gaming, now they're going after the entire OS. And just like they did with Steam they'll probably build a much better product than MS did. HUGE.

This probably won’t register with console fans right away but SteamOS is potentially as big a story as Xbox One/PS4. Maybe bigger.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't get all the excitement over that... They are about to announce a steambox (that will most probably be mostly for streaming game off your pc like the Shield does but on the tv)... So of course they need a OS to run that box. Nothing special there.

Tan

Huh, I was right. This is pretty rad but I don't think I have enough money to buy another PC solely dedicated to games. Maybe in a few years.

Social

I just don't understand how Valve does it. They are a company of less than 300 people and are able to make award winning games, developer tools, content distribution system and now a freaking OS. Are Valve employees the most productive humans the world has ever seen? Jeez. How are they able to work on so many complex projects at once - I just don't get it.

Euhm, they don't really work on that many things at the same time though

Cutebrute

This falls in line with the common predictions of the announcement and suggests that Wednesday's announcement will be Steambox related.

I am excited for Steam OS, although I still wonder who it is targeted at exactly. It will make for a great compliment to my current set-up (I am running OSX and hate it and I like Steam), but how many people would this actually benefit?

Edit: I reread the announcement and am acknowledging the emphasis on the living room, but I'm still a little concerned about the intended audience.

Fucking A

They made an OS.

Wonder what it can do to Windows as the PC gaming platform.

HUGEPopcornTub.gif

Absolutely nothing. The main feature keeping this thing possibly relevant is that you can stream your PC games from your windows machine to whatever is running this OS. Streaming needs to be absolutely top notch otherwise this thing is not very attractive to people who already run windows (95% of their userbase).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Interesting. The perfect preparation for Steam box. This week is going to be interesting. I think also the next gen launch got suddenly much more interesting.

8bit

Knows the Score
mQ65R3b.jpg

So if the first circle is the SteamOS, the second circle is a box around the OS - has to be the SteamBox, right?

So what's the third button, which looks like SteamOS + SteamOS? Some sort of multisystem-based announcement?

Probably something to do with a 3.

The_Monk

Thank you for the thread fellow GAFfer.

I still have some questions regarding this Streaming service. Does it means my main PC will need to be powerful (specs wise) to Stream to another machine, or the purpose of streaming is, not requiring a decent PC in order to play those more demanding games?

Still need to find more info, as you can see I'm a bit amateur when it comes to understanding Streaming PC Video games.

Hybrid897

After having realised something Im not as excited. Most games currently do not support Linux so SteamOS is only going to run Valve games and a few others for quite awhile. We probably wont get any EA, Activision or Ubisoft games on this for quite a long time.

That's what streaming is for, for games that aren't native to linux or perhaps have too high requirements for your steam box.

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

Until support for linux is much greater it still isn't an option to have your main gaming PC running steamOS.

Now heres hoping they come out with a great controller, $250ish entry point for for the box.

Valve is now directly competing with the all the major consoles with this.

Seeing as how they are all using pretty standard PC components now, the main differences left are;

- Steam is completely digital (pro or con depending on who you are)
- Steam has full backwards compatibility with many more titles (pro)
- Steam does not have a standard set of hardware to develop for (con)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom