• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Anti-Cheat seems to scan your DNS cache, but probably doesn't send it anywhere

You guys know that all web advertising does the same thing but worse right now.

Right at this moment neogaf is showing me ads of every item I have been looking at from newegg in the past two weeks.

Cookies are very different from DNS cache analysis, and you can visit the advertisers and opt out of that tracking already. There are even browser addons to do it automatically for you.

Jedi2016

They need to know if you ever visit vaccheaters.com apparently. You're obviously cheating if you do.
Super-effective because of course there's absolutely no way to hide your online history. Man, if only there was some way to delete your DNS cache, Valve would be right fucked, wouldn't they? Good thing they've come up with this absolutely foolproof surefire method instead of, I don't know... running MD5 on the game's executable in RAM?

Super-effective because of course there's absolutely no way to hide your online history. Man, if only there was some way to delete your DNS cache, Valve would be right fucked, wouldn't they? Good thing they've come up with this absolutely foolproof surefire method instead of, I don't know... running MD5 on the game's executable in RAM?

I'm with you man. Incredibly weak way to go about detecting cheats, incredibly convenient place to put something so intrusive without disclosing it to your users.

pixlexic

Banned
Maybe ads do that, but what does someone browser history has to do with cheating.

You can do things like edit your host file to point a ip the game is looking for to another to feed in data to the game yourself.

That's also how many hacks get around drm.

Guerilla

Fuck cheaters.

This bullshit is the equivalent of saying fuck terrorists when someone is saying fuck NSA. I don't want any fucking corporation invading my goddamn privacy, is that too much to ask? And btw oldmario was right, if this was EA this thread would have exploded.

That nothing you ever do online is private.., ever.

There are plenty of methods to keep your browsing history out of the hands of advertisers. But the comparison is completely irrelevant in this instance. Spying on users in such an intrusive way under the guise of making cheating more difficult to get away with is incredibly slimy. Even moreso when your users have to dig around in your code to discover this is going on.

So no one posted the always existing reddit counter point yet?

I can't speak l33t but this seems to say stuff.

As someone who reverse engineers things for fun, and can read the C "pseudocode" generated via decompilation pretty easily, I am going to have to disagree with the assumptions made in this post.

First, there's no proof this is from Steam, I've poked around a few of the DLLs since I saw this and am unable to find anything even remotely close to what this does.

Second, this method does NOT send anything to Valve. This method grabs the DNS cache, yes. And it MD5s the entries, then it stores it. This method itself does nothing more with the hashes. For all we know VAC could be doing a LOCAL scan of the list, and comparing it to an internal list of "known" cheat subscription servers.

Until someone posts details of exactly where in Steam this is (What DLL is all that's required to verify), and the calling method that supposedly sends this information to Valve, I would take this with a very massive grain of salt.

This bullshit is the equivalent of saying fuck terrorists when someone is saying fuck NSA. I don't want any fucking corporation invading my goddamn privacy, is that too much to ask? And btw oldmario was right, if this was EA this thread would have exploded.

If it's stored in your pc in a way knowing the data is so easily extracted, you never had privacy to begin with.

Spookie

I don't understand why they would need this information to ban someone for cheating. Are they trying to capture cheating sites which are frequently being updated? Regardless, I'd rather they stay out of my private files.

This is arguably the most ineffective way of detecting cheaters I've ever heard of.

Kind of what I'm thinking. Even if you have a known cheating website in your history, what does that prove? That you looked at it, or got linked to it somehow, not that you actually acquired and used cheats in one of their games. What value could this information possibly provide in the noble quest of stopping cheating?

Can you and the other crazy anti-Valve people go away and let the adults talk? Most of the responses here are opposed to this, maybe wait until it's been open long enough to be widely viewed before you start broadly accusing the entire forum of something.

Oh noes, my DNS cache.

What's next, scanning my disc drive? This is exactly why we shouldn't tolerate this kind of monopolys ruining PC gaming

coughlanio

Kind of what I'm thinking. Even if you have a known cheating website in your history, what does that prove? That you looked at it, or got linked to it somehow, not that you actually acquired and used cheats in one of their games. What value could this information possibly provide in the noble quest of stopping cheating?

They probably use it as a consideration factor if other cheating methods are detected, i.e if Cheating Method A is detected, and they've visited a site linked with cheating, then it's an increased probability that they're a cheater.

Not saying it's right, but...

DeaviL

Banned
I don't see why people think they'd use this by itself.
It's probably going to be used for when they find something the old fashioned way, then also see you've been visiting known cheat sites.

EDIT: Beaten

inky

So no one posted the always existing reddit counter point yet?

I can't speak l33t but this seems to say stuff.

No time for that. You are supposed to be saying EA > Valve and pretend everyone else but you is OK with being spied on, even if you don't know what or how it is actually happening.

Josh7289

It's a bit different because this is just video games. If you're not okay with software analyzing whether you're cheating (using whatever methods available), then just don't play the games. It's a privilege, not a right.

With the NSA, they're analyzing everything you do in your daily life. Every piece of private communication between people is monitored. It's not just video games. It's regular conversation with other human beings. We can avoid playing video games. We can't avoid communicating with each other in general.

The other big difference is that the (arguably) most powerful government in the world could actually do something to harm you with the data they collect. Valve can't. They're just a small video game developer.

fantomena

Oh noes, my DNS cache.

What's next, scanning my disc drive? This is exactly why we shouldn't tolerate this kind of monopolys ruining PC gaming

I don't think Valve WANTS monopoly, if they have wanted monopoly, they would not give other shops the option to sell Steam reedemable games.

aen0

Neo Member
You can disable the Windows service called "DNS Client". It removes the local DNS cache.

Pro :
- no more entry for VAC to look for
- more up to date resolving when browsing the net (websites migrating server, you get the new server faster; not always tho)

Cons:
- more DNS lookup
- could be slower to browse the net (only the first page) if your ISP DNS server is not fast

As for me, I always disable it because my router does DNS caching, making this second cache pretty useless.

yatesl

Is this something to do with being able to play any Dota 2 map by launching it from a web browser?

I remember Brad from Giant Bomb mentioning it a month or so ago.

Do they explicitly state they are spying on you in the tos?

if not hopefully someone sues.
Just so we cover all the bases here's the paragraph about cheating in the steam tos.

Steam and the Software may include functionality designed to identify software or hardware processes or functionality that may give a player an unfair competitive advantage when playing multiplayer versions of any Software or modifications of Software (“Cheats”). You agree that you will not create Cheats or assist third parties in any way to create Cheats. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly disable, circumvent, or otherwise interfere with the operation of software designed to prevent or report the use of Cheats. You acknowledge and agree that either Valve or any online multiplayer host may refuse to allow you to participate in certain online multiplayer games if you use Cheats in connection with Steam or the Software. Further, you acknowledge and agree that an online multiplayer host may report your use of Cheats to Valve, and Valve may communicate your history of use of Cheats to other online multiplayer hosts. Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, constitutes a Cheat, or otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers. You acknowledge that Valve is not required to provide you notice before terminating your Subscriptions(s) and/or Account, but it may choose to do so.

You may not use Cheats, automation software (bots), mods, hacks, or any other unauthorized third-party software, to modify or automate any Subscription Marketplace process.

Pretty vague and open ended there.

Is this something to do with being able to play any Dota 2 map by launching it from a web browser?

I remember Brad from Giant Bomb mentioning it a month or so ago.
Nope, that's just a standard join server call.

And its a custom server so it would have nothing to do with vac anyhow.

graywolf323

I don't think Valve WANTS monopoly, if they have wanted monopoly, they would not give other shops the option to sell Steam reedemable games.

what? if anything allowing other shops to sell games that force the user into the Steam environment is how Steam has grown so big

and I say that as someone who loves being able to buy games on sale on Amazon that activate on Steam

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Just so we cover all the bases here's the paragraph about cheating in the steam tos.

Pretty vague and open ended there.

TBF that would mean they'd ban you locally only based on you visiting a site. Which honestly doesn't make much sense. It doesn't really make much sense that an automatic ban without a human interference based on the fact they may have visited a dodgy site.

Either way that's not good,

TBF that would mean they'd ban you locally only based on you visiting a site. Which honestly doesn't make much sense. It doesn't really make much sense that an automatic ban without a human interference based on the fact they may have visited a dodgy site.

Either way that's not good,

No it's gets worse Valve could even ban you for someone having an pic that's hosted on a server where an cheating device is located too because that's how these things work.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't feel it is an invasion of my privacy when they don't actually give a shit about anything other than what they're looking for with respect to anti-cheat.

I'm comfortable assuming that any number of 3-letter government agencies could sift through anything on my computer whenever they want. It is just easier to accept the reality and go on dealing with real day-to-day problems. With that assumption in mind it is hard to get upset by anti-cheat software seeing my DNS cache.

I'll save my angst for stuff like all the leaves clogging my gutters or that one patch in the yard that I can never get seeded properly. You know, stuff I have a reasonable chance of fixing myself in the near future. :)

As far as what the anti-cheat software is doing I think people are getting it wrong. It probably isn't looking for known cheating sites. What it is probably doing is looking for people who've setup proxies for various types of auth servers.

I'm comfortable assuming that any number of 3-letter government agencies could sift through anything on my computer whenever they want. It is just easier to accept the reality and go on dealing with real day-to-day problems. With that assumption in mind it is hard to get upset by anti-cheat software seeing my DNS cache.

This attitude is terrifying to me.

Zing

Banned
I don't use steam, but I have enough experience with cheaters to know that I would willingly give my data if it significantly deterred cheating.

Top Bottom