• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve bringing native SteamVR support to Unity and a rendering plugin

http://uploadvr.com/valve-is-bringing-native-unity-support-to-steamvr/

Valve and Unity are joining forces. The two companies announced on Wednesday that they will be merging elements of their respective SteamVR and Unity platforms. Through this collaboration, SteamVR will now offer native support for Unity on its platform. And Valve developed an advanced rendering plugin that should help to increase the fidelity and functionality of VR experiences built using Unity.

SteamVR was previously made available on Unity via a downloadable plugin. It is important to note that this plugin, and the newly announced SteamVR native support, should not be seen as a platform exclusive decision on the hardware front with Valve and HTC’s upcoming Vive headset.

Unity’s CEO John Riccitiello also embraces the same developer-first spirit for this partnership.

“Valve and Unity are both dedicated to creating the highest quality VR experiences possible,” Riccitiello said in a prepared statement. “That means giving developers every possible chance to succeed, and our collaboration with Valve is designed to do just that.”

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/265599/Valve_collaborates_on_new_Unity_SteamVR_support_and_tools.php

"We made many of our Vive demos using Unity, and continue to use it today in VR development," stated Newell. "Through that process, and in working with VR developers, we found some opportunities to make Unity even more robust and powerful for us and really want to share those benefits with all VR content creators."

Further details on the new SteamVR rendering plug-in are scant at the moment, though newly-minted Valve engineer Zach Barth (TIS-100, Infinifactory) is expected to give a talk at the conference this evening about how Valve uses Unity with SteamVR.

http://visionsummit2016.com/

Using Unity at Valve

When we noticed that most VR developers were using Unity, we decided to use it ourselves. This meant that as we encountered and solved problems, we could share those solutions with Unity's VR development community. In this session we will look at some upcoming VR-focused features developed by Valve for use in Unity. This includes built-in SteamVR support in Unity aimed at simplifying multiplatform development and a high-performance rendering plugin to help you hit 90 FPS without sacrificing visual quality.

They're also gaving out Vive Pres for everyone attending Vision Summit. I think that's around 1200-1500 people.

MaLDo

Valve fixing Unity performance problems because they want people enjoy VR games running on Unity??

Notbad.jpg

Unity's performance is bad on normal games so I can't wait to see VR games using the engine.

Motion sickness everywhere, puke compilations on Youtube.

Nzyme32

Unity's performance is bad on normal games so I can't wait to see VR games using the engine.

Motion sickness everywhere.

And yet the vast majority of VR games are being made in Unity. Apparently that was part of the impetus for Valve to do the same, which led to the performance / rendering plugin thing they just announced.

The 12 games shown at the SteamVR Developer showcase? Save for Elite, they were all on Unity.

Hell, save for the Portal demo, all of Valve's VR stuff is on Unity. The Dota demo, Longbow, the ballon intro demo, the config tool, demo selector, everything.

Compsiox

Banned
The 12 games shown at the SteamVR Developer showcase? Save for Elite, they were all on Unity.

Hell, save for the Portal demo, all of Valve's VR stuff is on Unity. The Dota demo, Longbow, the ballon intro demo, the config tool, demo selector, everything.

Source 2 cancellation confirmed

MUnited83

For you.
Good, good. The better SteamVR does the better for everyone. Glad to see they're actually doing good efforts to make it take it off.

Outside of Dota 2 they probably didn't even do any work for anything else.

Chet Falisak spends all day conning fans into believing that his team actually is working on games,

How is he conning anyone? When people were speculating that Valve would show a game at the SteamVR Showcase, he was the first to debunk it. The majority of things he talks about on twitter are

- VR/Vive
- Cats
- Cleveland Browns sucking major ass

he never talks about or hypes their own games. If anything, that's people looking way too much into stuff he says.

Compsiox

Banned
How is he conning anyone? When people were speculating that Valve would show a game at the SteamVR Showcase, he was the first to debunk it. The majority of things he talks about on twitter are

- VR/Vive
- Cats
- Cleveland Browns sucking major ass

he never talks about or hypes their own games. If anything, that's people looking way too much into stuff he says.

I'm going to need an academic journal article analyzing the meanings of every tweet before I believe this shit.
/s

Thraktor

Another news coming from this is Zach Barth (creative director of Zachtronics) joining Valve.

It's great that he's moving up in the world, but there's a part of me that just really wants him to keep making Zachtronics puzzle games until the end of time. That's not too much to ask, is it?

keidashxd

I was hoping the minimum specs would be a 970 like Oculus but after all the Firewatch performance thread I'm hopeless with all this Unity support.

Lord Phol

Glad to see some actual support from Valve regarding VR/Vive. I'm still hesitant because of HTSc involvement but we'll see.

I have yet to hear about stuttering and performance issues regarding VR demos/games made in Unity. Though of course majority of them have been demoed in controlled environments. We'll see.

Valve: soon new advanced #VR rendering @unity3d plugin! Replacement shader renderer etc @joeludwig #VisionSummit16

Ca5hmvLUEAAQitp.jpg

Top Bottom